Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Photex posted:

the problem is the back catalog of comedy central was already there, it's not Paramount+ exclusive content.

It was? I thought that wasn't coming until Paramount plus. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

bull3964 posted:

The back catalog of comedy central stuff is appreciated, but the library of Paramount movies is severely lacking.

what about mtv stuff? my wife really wants to be able to watch all the old stuff like True Life and the like. is that stuff there?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I won't be happy until all 90s MTV and MTV Europe content is available in its entirety.

What's that about a trillion dollars in music licensing? Hmph.

MTVE was just a delight growing up, everything you liked about US MTV but with even more weirdness and a transeuropean accent from most of the presenters meaning nobody really understood all of what they were saying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

otter posted:

what about mtv stuff? my wife really wants to be able to watch all the old stuff like True Life and the like. is that stuff there?

Some stuff, looks like there's three "seasons" of True Life?

I don't really see any significant difference in the library between yesterday and today. I'm really wondering if the majority of the new library went live prior to the "rebranding."

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I’m sorry but I have no choice, I have to watch that Real World NY cast reunion series. I really liked the first 5 seasons of The Real World (off top of my head is it NY, LA, San Francisco, London, and Seattle?), but I was still slightly in my teens when that first season aired.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

bull3964 posted:

Some stuff, looks like there's three "seasons" of True Life?

I don't really see any significant difference in the library between yesterday and today. I'm really wondering if the majority of the new library went live prior to the "rebranding."

They've been slowly adding content ever since the re-merger. I imagine that lot of their content still has the streaming rights owned by Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I think if they really tried it could be a decent service. They should have some good movies from the Paramount catalog. Their TV offerings could be great too. CBS and Paramount made so many TV shows, many of them considered classics ,since TV was a thing. A lot of these shows have never been streaming before, some have never streamed in their entirety, and some have never had complete DVD releases.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

I’m sorry but I have no choice, I have to watch that Real World NY cast reunion series. I really liked the first 5 seasons of The Real World (off top of my head is it NY, LA, San Francisco, London, and Seattle?), but I was still slightly in my teens when that first season aired.

Yeah I loved Real World when I was young, I didn't get to see it much but MTVE did some marathons and I remember watching most of San Francisco in a row. It just felt like groundbreaking stuff at the time. I'll give them their due, no matter how many people get old and say 'hurrr they don't even play music anymore', MTV has always known exactly how to evolve and keep their target market, and get there before anyone else does.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

nate fisher posted:

Seattle was season 7, Miami was 5 with Boston in between

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

They've been slowly adding content ever since the re-merger. I imagine that lot of their content still has the streaming rights owned by Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I think if they really tried it could be a decent service. They should have some good movies from the Paramount catalog. Their TV offerings could be great too. CBS and Paramount made so many TV shows, many of them considered classics ,since TV was a thing. A lot of these shows have never been streaming before, some have never streamed in their entirety, and some have never had complete DVD releases.

I really really want all of these services to adopt "next day streaming" with all of their cable content like Disney/Hulu does with FX and CBS does here with some content.

Why can I not watch the new episode of Snowpiercer the next day on HBO Max?
Why can I not watch Resident Alien next day on Peacock?
Why can't I watch the next episode of Air Disasters on Paramount+ next day?

I know why, it's because they don't want to kill the viability of cable just yet, but I'm so over it. Make your stuff one big pool that I can sub to commercial free without waiting for the first run window to close. I will subscribe to all of your services then and likely keep them for longer durations.

I'll drop my YoutubeTV sub in a heartbeat and just subscribe to Paramount+, HBO Max, AMC+, Hulu, and Peacock. Even with all 5, the commercial free options would be less than a YoutubeTV sub and stuff would be better quality along with being without commercials.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

One thing I will give them credit for is that Paramount+ has a live CBS feed (CBS All-Access did as well). Peacock absolutely should do this for NBC and Hulu should for FOX an ABC as well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fox Broadcasting has no relation to Disney or Hulu so they can't. ABC livestream I guess makes sense, though seems kinda pointless when the catalog is there the next day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Fox Broadcasting has no relation to Disney or Hulu so they can't. ABC livestream I guess makes sense, though seems kinda pointless when the catalog is there the next day.

Sports. And some people like watching stuff when it airs instead of waiting until the next day.

And Disney didn't get the Fox tv network?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Jose Oquendo posted:

Sports. And some people like watching stuff when it airs instead of waiting until the next day.

And Disney didn't get the Fox tv network?

Sports, often times, are not included on those livestreams due to rights issues anyways.

No, Disney did not buy Fox Broadcasting. They only bought the TV and Movie production studios.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jose Oquendo posted:

Outside of stuff that's broadcast live (or 'as live'), I think this is slowly just becoming old people and NCIS.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Island Nation posted:

Seattle was season 7, Miami was 5 with Boston in between

Ok I just googled this, and I have zero memory of Miami or Boston (or any of the cast). I did see one of the Boston cast is a right wing politician now.

I might have stopped watching after 4, but came back for 7. Honestly the only thing that I remember from Seattle is the slap and Lyme disease.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I loved Real World when I was young, I didn't get to see it much but MTVE did some marathons and I remember watching most of San Francisco in a row. It just felt like groundbreaking stuff at the time. I'll give them their due, no matter how many people get old and say 'hurrr they don't even play music anymore', MTV has always known exactly how to evolve and keep their target market, and get there before anyone else does.

As someone who grew up on MTV and music videos (Headbangers Ball 4 Life), I miss the days of when I actually liked MTV. That said MTV was super smart in leaving music videos behind with the internet becoming bigger (YouTube would have killed MTV if they stayed in the music video business). I just had to tell myself one day I am old and MTV is no longer for me.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 4, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

(Headbangers Ball 4 Life)

That and Into The Pit were amazing, the only way I'd ever have exposure to music videos like that for sure. Given how few places there were that would show heavy music, I always kind of wondered why metal bands even bothered producing videos.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Paramount+ got me with $30 for a year. I may regret it but I can at least only lose $30 from that regret. Also, I will at least enjoy the Twilight Zone and 10 episodes of Aeon Flux.

I also missed out on Discovery Plus for a cheap year but I went ahead and subscribed for a year. It has already paid off with episodes that I have been able to use for teaching.

The next thing I am thinking of doing is a PBS passport set up because 1) PBS is awesome 9 times out of 10 and 2) their documentaries are beyond compare.

Edit: Strangely enough, Netflix is probably the service my wife and I use the least (my daughters always find stuff though). 10 years ago when we cut cable, that was the only thing we paid for and now we are talking of dropping it.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Pluto got rid of their music radio channels and replaced them with VEVO channels that have 24/7 streams of music videos grouped by decade

It’s delightful

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

That is awesome!

My wife and I were going through Paramount+ and she was pretty disappointed in what it had. She specifically mentioned how cool the MTV channel would be if you could click a decade and it would just be mtv music videos from that decade. She assumed that music rights would keep that from happening.

PlutoTV with the good stuff.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

MorrisBae posted:

Pluto got rid of their music radio channels and replaced them with VEVO channels that have 24/7 streams of music videos grouped by decade

It’s delightful

Dear sir you have my interest. I have a new LG TV and I t comes with Pluto TV as part of the regular channel lineup (it is called LG Channels). I wonder if it has these channels (will try when at home). Is it just decade (80’s here I come) or does it do genres too?

AppleTV+ has a music video channel, but not my type of music.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That and Into The Pit were amazing, the only way I'd ever have exposure to music videos like that for sure. Given how few places there were that would show heavy music, I always kind of wondered why metal bands even bothered producing videos.

I am old enough to remember watching the premiere of Metallica’s first video, One, while my stepdad is yelling at us (I was with my brother) to turn that poo poo down.

The Ball was littered with too many hair bands for most of the 80’s, but it was also cool to see videos from bands like Nuclear Assault, Megadeth, Testament, Suicidal Tendencies, and Slayer show up sometimes. Of course in the early 90’s it went more grunge which I was ok with.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 5, 2021

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

nate fisher posted:

Dear sir you have my interest. I have a new LG TV and I t comes with Pluto TV as part of the regular channel lineup (it is called LG Channels). I wonder if it has these channels (will try when at home). Is it just decade (80’s here I come) or does it do genres too?

Current lineup

Vevo Pop
Vevo Reggaeton & Trap
Vevo R&B
Vevo Country
Vevo 70s
Vevo 80s
Vevo 90s
Vevo 2K

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Paramount+ got me with $30 for a year.

is that deal over?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

otter posted:

is that deal over?

Yeah, you had to sign up for the year before Paramount+ launched in March 4th. I did it at 11pm on March 3rd.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What services out there allow you to legitimately pool multiple accounts together under one payer?

Does something like Netflix Household exists where I can attach my personal account to it (bumping up the price that the Netflix Household Account holder plays), and others could too. We could all have our own watch lists and favorites and one day if I move I can just bring my account with all my history with me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah just have different profiles for each person.

Oh you mean an account separate from a subscription? I don’t think that exists.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, can't say I've heard of that. You'll have to get your own subscription to keep your preferences. Maybe something like YouTube TV if it allows you to use your own Google account, but I've never had that so I wouldn't know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

jokes posted:

Yeah just have different profiles for each person.

Oh you mean an account separate from a subscription? I don’t think that exists.

Yeah. Tired of the situation of building up a curated list and the moving out to another house now you’re being recommended Lost In Space.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Youtube TV allows you to have different accounts. My brother has the main account and he added my account to the family so I can log in with my own account. It also works with every separate individual channel log in (except HBO).

Unfortunately, everything else we share, I am the account holder and I just have to give him my account info. But we have separate profiles on each thing so his watchlist does not go into mine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, I just recently discovered this thread. My wife and I have had cable since we moved into our house in 2009, bundled with Internet and even a phone service that she insisted on having. Long before COVID, she spends 90% of her time at home, as an adjunct professor who doesn't have an office on campus, so we mostly had cable for her. We also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu, plus free Peacock, Tubi, Kanopy, and of course YouTube, all streamed through a Roku Express. Plus, I have no problem with subscribing to additional streaming services for a month here or a month there when shows we like come out, but we even run out of things to watch on HBO Max, so I don't see the point of keeping it year-round.

But every year our cable "promotion" expires, and Spectrum cable raises the price on us -- a little here, a little there, just for the basic cable package. About a year ago, they took away several of our channels after they got added to a higher tier. We missed TCM, but didn't care about any of the other channels and couldn't justify paying more.

Well, they just raised the cable rates again. I called, asked about additional deals and promotions, and they said they would do us a huge solid by giving us the higher tier with TCM, but only for the new higher price ($180 for cable, Internet, and phone). That's no DVR, nothing else. I figured I had to find something better, so I compared Fubo, Hulu Live, and YouTube TV, and decided YouTube TV might be the best for us. It has live TV, all the basic cable channels we have, plus TCM, on demand services, and even a cloud-based DVR for around $65 a month.

I was too conscientious and paid for our new month of Spectrum cable in advance, and they refused to let me cancel and refund a prorated amount, so that was the final straw. Once we cancel cable, our bill with just Internet and phone will drop from $180 to $98, plus the YouTube TV for $65 a month.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

plus free Peacock, Tubi, Kanopy, and of course YouTube

Pluto is a must

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, I just recently discovered this thread. My wife and I have had cable since we moved into our house in 2009, bundled with Internet and even a phone service that she insisted on having. Long before COVID, she spends 90% of her time at home, as an adjunct professor who doesn't have an office on campus, so we mostly had cable for her. We also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu, plus free Peacock, Tubi, Kanopy, and of course YouTube, all streamed through a Roku Express. Plus, I have no problem with subscribing to additional streaming services for a month here or a month there when shows we like come out, but we even run out of things to watch on HBO Max, so I don't see the point of keeping it year-round.

But every year our cable "promotion" expires, and Spectrum cable raises the price on us -- a little here, a little there, just for the basic cable package. About a year ago, they took away several of our channels after they got added to a higher tier. We missed TCM, but didn't care about any of the other channels and couldn't justify paying more.

Well, they just raised the cable rates again. I called, asked about additional deals and promotions, and they said they would do us a huge solid by giving us the higher tier with TCM, but only for the new higher price ($180 for cable, Internet, and phone). That's no DVR, nothing else. I figured I had to find something better, so I compared Fubo, Hulu Live, and YouTube TV, and decided YouTube TV might be the best for us. It has live TV, all the basic cable channels we have, plus TCM, on demand services, and even a cloud-based DVR for around $65 a month.

I was too conscientious and paid for our new month of Spectrum cable in advance, and they refused to let me cancel and refund a prorated amount, so that was the final straw. Once we cancel cable, our bill with just Internet and phone will drop from $180 to $98, plus the YouTube TV for $65 a month.

We use YTTV and love it!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Having dropped YouTube TV after about a year, I would still recommend it without hesitation. You definitely get what you pay for!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

Having dropped YouTube TV after about a year, I would still recommend it without hesitation. You definitely get what you pay for!

I’m still pretty salty about the price increase but I have to agree with this. Imo it’s the best of the services.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
With the death of PS Vue YoutubeTV is the best streaming service. Price and channel combo can’t be beat.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I just wish that YTTV would get the regional sports networks back because I have now accepted that I will never watch my baseball teams ever again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I just wish that YTTV would get the regional sports networks back because I have now accepted that I will never watch my baseball teams ever again.

MLB? Go to the coupon subforum and share an MLB.TV account. It's around $25 per person plus whatever you end up paying for a VPN or DNS service and you can watch literally every MLB game including the ASG and post-season.

I'm sure at some point YTTV will get RSNs but that will come with another hefty price increase.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm actually pleasantly satisfied with my Spectrum streaming TV service. I only wanted a handful of live channels to compliment what we already have from various streaming services and they provide me with that for $20/mo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I'm actually pleasantly satisfied with my Spectrum streaming TV service. I only wanted a handful of live channels to compliment what we already have from various streaming services and they provide me with that for $20/mo

That reminds me..does anyone have the Spectrum streaming thing where you pick 10 channels plus you get the local channels. Do the local channels include the sub channels like MeTV?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

That reminds me..does anyone have the Spectrum streaming thing where you pick 10 channels plus you get the local channels. Do the local channels include the sub channels like MeTV?

That's the plan I have. I just checked and yes, it does come with all the sub-channels on the local stations as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

That's the plan I have. I just checked and yes, it does come with all the sub-channels on the local stations as well

Do you actually get to pick the 10 channels or is it a semi package deal?