Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
No, but I know restart is required after certain account changes.

Did you get it sorted out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What would a restart do that flipping cellular off and on or removing and reinserting the SIM card wouldn’t? (Not saying it’s not accurate, just curious how that works)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Yeah it was the first thing I tried, and everything else short of a factory reset. Did not get it sorted and was directly lied to multiply by a Bell customer service rep which is cool. So, time to find a new carrier.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like Fizz is finally enforcing "you need to live in our our service area" on my account. Oh well it was good while it lasted so long 5GB LTE with roll over for 31.50+tax.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Globe and Mail, but I'm too tired to search for the headline directly:

https://apple.news/ALM18N4rHR4OEXNkQlUCfdQ

quote:

When it comes to telecom, there’s a challenging balance to be struck among the virtues of competition, the demand for low prices and the need for operators to invest barrels of money in ever bigger and faster networks, whether internet or wireless.
On that balance, Ottawa’s views have been shifting. While the Liberals of 2019 were all about promising cheaper bills, the government now talks more about the need for investment in networks. The 2019 mandate letter for the industry minister repeatedly mentioned affordability, but last summer, during a continuing fight about internet wholesale rates, the federal cabinet worried that if rates are set too low, there won’t be enough spending on networks. The industry minister’s 2021 mandate letter doesn’t even mention affordability.

Read: they won the election, so gently caress the people, they want their stock portfolios to rise.

CITY News:

quote:

Conservative MP Pierre Poilievre said the Tories will trigger hearings on the deal in industry committee to decide whether the tie-up will protect workers and customers, “and not corporate interests.”
“We continue to believe that four competitors is better than three more competition is always better for both workers and customers,” said Poilievre in a press conference, stating that there is “no guarantee” that a deal would be approved if it left only three carriers.

Interesting how it's a conservative that's pointing out the obvious rather than, oh I dunno... anyone under Trudeau.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 17, 2021

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

A small slice of the top section of the touch screen for my Samsung Galaxy S9+ is no longer responding. I will likely receive a new phone when a company phone plan is negotiated in the next few months. I'm currently with Telus. Looking to find a cheap Android smartphone that can get me through the next few months. I don't need any bells and whistles really. I pretty much only use my phone for calls, messaging and basic internet browsing. I haven't looked at phones in roughly 3 years. IIRC laws changed such that companies couldn't lock phones anymore but could be mistaken.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
All devices sold in Canada are now supposed to be unlocked, even if carrier provided. The only locked devices you might run into would be anything manufactured and sold before the end of 2017. Something like a Galaxy A51 might fit what you are looking for, if you can get one for ~2-250. Year old midrange that is soon moving off the shelf, but screen dimensions comparable for the S9+ and not so entry level that it would be frustrating to work on after an S series device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gonna second the A Series phones. They prioritize the fundamentals: Screen size, battery size, and stills shooting. They don't have the latest SoC, but that really hasn't mattered for maybe three years now unless you care about 4k60 recording or high framerate phone gaming.

More importantly, Samsung actually updates the damned things, compared to basically every other manufacturer of a midrange phone except maybe Motorola.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Samsung? Motorola? Might as well light your money on fire. Don't buy anything name brand. You sir, want some amazon.ca celltrash. I lived some of the best years of my life on a Reach phone. Ever heard of them? No you shouldn't because it was a prototype they dumped on the market. The point being, get a scumphone and then gift it to a niece or nephew you particularly dislike when your replacement arrives.

Why not a nice UMIDIGI?

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-4150mAh-Battery-Smartphone/dp/B08Q35TZ43

Really hard up why not go in on a Comdy?

https://www.amazon.ca/Unlocked-Android-Smartphones-Recognition-Fingerprint/dp/B08S44419X

Want to impress the spec-chaser crowd? Try on a Rino6 and get in on that unpatented Rubik's Cube technology!

https://www.amazon.ca/Unlocked-Display-Smartphone-Battery-Android/dp/B08QMH8K5Q/ref=pd_di_sccai_14

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 21, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Blu phone or bust :colbert:

loving lmao that ad copy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's a lot of rear cameras.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for all the input. I'm debating between the Samsung Galaxy A11, Motorola Moto G7 Power or UMIDIGI A7S. I'm hesitant about UMIDIGI because I have never used a phone that isn't name brand but given this is a temporary fix it might be worth giving them a shot. Samsung A11 would be familiar, also has that one-handed mode should I ever run into the same situation I'm having with my S9+ now. Moto G7 Power just seems to get mentioned in most top lists and is more affordable.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Corte posted:

Thanks for all the input. I'm debating between the Samsung Galaxy A11, Motorola Moto G7 Power or UMIDIGI A7S. I'm hesitant about UMIDIGI because I have never used a phone that isn't name brand but given this is a temporary fix it might be worth giving them a shot. Samsung A11 would be familiar, also has that one-handed mode should I ever run into the same situation I'm having with my S9+ now. Moto G7 Power just seems to get mentioned in most top lists and is more affordable.

Android Police only recommends the A11 if it's on sale, otherwise the Moto E or G7. Also, it doesn't have NFC, if that's a feature you care about.
It also runs in 32-bit only mode, so that may interfere with some apps.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Chair In A Basket posted:

All devices sold in Canada are now supposed to be unlocked, even if carrier provided. The only locked devices you might run into would be anything manufactured and sold before the end of 2017. Something like a Galaxy A51 might fit what you are looking for, if you can get one for ~2-250. Year old midrange that is soon moving off the shelf, but screen dimensions comparable for the S9+ and not so entry level that it would be frustrating to work on after an S series device.

The exception to this is that phones might be locked if they’re stolen. I think at least Bell were doing this.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mister Facetious posted:

Android Police only recommends the A11 if it's on sale, otherwise the Moto E or G7. Also, it doesn't have NFC, if that's a feature you care about.

My partner has a Moto and its worked swimmingly for her, and she now moved it to a Rogers pay as you go and it keeps trucking along.

Meanwhile my unlocked Galaxy S7 has never worked ideally, and was bricked by Bell when they changed networks. Its been now a week with no mobile data and I am pissed.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Good to know, thanks! Will pre-paid phones work with my existing plan? Found Moto E on sale:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Corte posted:

Good to know, thanks! Will pre-paid phones work with my existing plan? Found Moto E on sale:
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Unless you are on a prepaid plan no I don't think it will but call them and see

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Unless you are on a prepaid plan no I don't think it will but call them and see

I spoke with Telus and they said it would work. Also spoke with Best Buy's online support and asked if it was locked to Telus, they said if it was I can request that they unlock it. I went with the Moto E and seems to be working just fine, still installing, updating, removing, etc. but so far so good. Thanks for all the help!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol Bell lied again. They told me late last week my connectivity issue was being escalated to a higher level tech support, who might be able to put me back on the previously working network. Called today after several days to learn they never put the ticket in!

So...signing up with Fido, who are giving more for less than the "loyalty" program at Bell, except they need to do a loving credit check, but due to the previous major credit service breach and the increased security placed on my report as a result it can't be done online. :v:

I hate all of this so much

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was looking at the Tesla site for a laugh the other day and they have things on there like "contactless delivery available" and "pay now with card" like it's a loving pizza. But ordering a phone? The credit check is ridiculous.

As far as Bell, my fave story about them was when someone complained about their slow internet so they told them over the phone they were being upgraded to "ultra speed". They were on old ~8mbps DSL, this wasn't that long ago. It was literally just a flat out lie to shut them up. Never trust fourth Reich telecom

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

codo27 posted:

I was looking at the Tesla site for a laugh the other day and they have things on there like "contactless delivery available" and "pay now with card" like it's a loving pizza. But ordering a phone? The credit check is ridiculous.

As far as Bell, my fave story about them was when someone complained about their slow internet so they told them over the phone they were being upgraded to "ultra speed". They were on old ~8mbps DSL, this wasn't that long ago. It was literally just a flat out lie to shut them up. Never trust fourth Reich telecom

Pretty consistent with my experience honestly. Let's see if they call me before my new account gets activated.

Relatedly, :rip: my S7, a perfect form factor really, but this unlocked US POS never worked quite right so lesson learned.

Pixel 4a 5G on its way. We'll see how it compares size wise with my old Galaxy Note 3.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I've probably told it here before, but when I was selling phones out of a Telus corporate store in uni some guy came in with a big phone bill. He was given one of those unlimited data for the first 3 months of his contract but the csa that set him up forgot to check the promo box or something. Anyway, he used it for tethering after moving and was being charged like 3.99/mb or something standard for the time (c. 2006-7 IIRC). His bill was 85k. We all had a good laugh and patched him through to customer services who told him, "just pay it and we'll give you a bill credit!" Took him and us like 2 hours to get to a sufficiently empowered retention csa to wipe the bill.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Cocaine Bear posted:

I've probably told it here before, but when I was selling phones out of a Telus corporate store in uni some guy came in with a big phone bill. He was given one of those unlimited data for the first 3 months of his contract but the csa that set him up forgot to check the promo box or something. Anyway, he used it for tethering after moving and was being charged like 3.99/mb or something standard for the time (c. 2006-7 IIRC). His bill was 85k. We all had a good laugh and patched him through to customer services who told him, "just pay it and we'll give you a bill credit!" Took him and us like 2 hours to get to a sufficiently empowered retention csa to wipe the bill.

I had a boss that forgot to turn off his data when he brought his work phone on a vacation to South America. Now I wonder what his roaming bill was!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

One of my favourite Canadian cell stories is related to one of my partner's professors from law school getting a $12k bill when her phone was stolen in Toronto while she was abroad.

https://www.thestar.com/news/2007/02/24/mom_gets_cell_firms_number.html

don't piss off law profs

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The guy who wore a wire to get Rogers execs on tape casually admitting that even they got their phones remotely cloned by Palestinian-based cell scammer gangs will some day be on the face of a small denomination of currency.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

well, Fido made that easy, only one screw up that needed clearing (they deleted the reimbursement for my activation fee, got that sorted via online chat). Now I get to get Bell to cancel that last bill, joy.

Also have to invest in USB-C. All these brand new micro USB cables :(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You're late to the party, man. We use all Lenovo laptops at work and aside from a couple older ones they all charge with USB C, so you can use it with your phone too. Recently got a USB-C hub adapter, mainly for my Surface laptop but I plugged my phone into it and viola, HDMI, USB and VGA on my phone, which is doubly impressive with Samsung's Dex software.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

codo27 posted:

You're late to the party, man. We use all Lenovo laptops at work and aside from a couple older ones they all charge with USB C, so you can use it with your phone too. Recently got a USB-C hub adapter, mainly for my Surface laptop but I plugged my phone into it and viola, HDMI, USB and VGA on my phone, which is doubly impressive with Samsung's Dex software.

Yeah apparently I am. It explains what that strange sized port on my laptop is I guess.

Bell are trying to argue that they have reasonably accommodated my lack of service by prorating my final bill to the day the service changed over to Fido! So glad I don't have automatic payment set up with them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
When I see lightning, you know it always brings me down...

:regd10:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Cocaine Bear posted:

I saw so many of these when I worked in a Telus call centre back when smart phones were so special they warranted their own department.

They were really quite common, usually oil sand workers tethering so they could play WoW or pirate mp3s.

Then again, back then the biggest data plan was only 250 Megabytes, so it was extremely easy to go over.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I have a number with VoIP.ms and another with Public Mobile. Is there any way I can retain both numbers and swap them?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Shofixti posted:

I have a number with VoIP.ms and another with Public Mobile. Is there any way I can retain both numbers and swap them?

Not sure how VoIP.ms works but traditionally you can with a 3rd account and a bit of musical porting.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Couldn't you just port the mobile number to the VoIP provider, and once that's done, the VoIP number to Public Mobile?

The complication would come if you want to maintain your account on PM as opposed to opening a new one.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Yeah I've got the coveted PM promotion from fall 2016 that I'll be taking to my grave so I don't want to rock the boat on that. I could port the VoIP number into Public Mobile to retain my deal but then I think my current PM number just disappears into the ether.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How good are these fuckin PM promotions that they aren't bested by all the 12-20gb for 50-70$ plans coming out of late?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They're under forty bucks a month and because it's pre pay they can't gently caress me at the end of the month with bullshit charges.

:iia:

You only really need high monthly data if you plan on streaming/casting video outside of the house on a regular basis.

Long term review (~4.5 years): Telus' LTE coverage is really good. If it's ever gone down, it hasn't been when I'm using my phone, and it's fast af boi.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 12, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I remember when I had 2gb not that long ago like pffft what you crazy people doing using 5-7gb? I have 12 now and while I've never gone over, for not a lot of money a month its nice to have the flexibility mostly if I wanted to watch sports when I'm away from home. Especially darts cause of the hosed up time differences with the UK where it all goes ahead
plus my new job pays my bill now anyway soooo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I can go over 2gb a month just streaming music.

Before the PM plan, I had some Wind Mobile "unlimited" (4gb then throttling, but you couldn't tell the difference :-p ) thing, and as we all know their coverage was/is more spotty per block than mm wave 5g.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

With PM I'm effectively paying $35 after tax per month for 4 gb of LTE data (it's actually $105 and 12 gb every 3 months). I never exceed 2 gb per month - haven't found a reason to use more yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Starting to get what seems to me are like phantom touches or some form of touch issue anyway on my S20, plus the terrible camera performance I've had since day 1 (and lately its just been basically vibrating in certain situations). Not sure if they'll even look at me for warranty as I have a few dings on the bezel. Figure I'll just put the insurance on my plan and smash the thing, check out the details through Koodo... $400 deductible for a replacement.