Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Run a Windows Server version :shrug:

I definitely considered that at one point but I think there was some reason SHSC told me not to, like it wouldn't be compatible with something I was using. This was a year or two ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What are you talking about? The poster literally asked for a way to stop Windows from force rebooting and I showed them how to do it lmao. gently caress me for helping them.
Windows doesn't randomly reboot, it only starts trying to force a reboot when it's been too long without applying the updates and it still won't do that within active hours.
In short, if you're needing to force windows to stop rebooting, you're already doing it wrong.
The default window is 7 days and it still lets you push that forward. There is zero reason to be pushing this out to a month+ and yes, unpatched systems (and you aren't patched if you don't reboot) genuinely are the cause of most security issues.

brains
May 12, 2004

I don't turn Windows update off. I turn off the thing that causes Windows computers to reboot without being asked.

If anything my suggestion was way better than the one recommending they set up the internet as a metered connection, where you'd never get an update ever again.

Edit: in fact, as I said before, the reason I dug up that guide for the poster was because the internet is absolutely filled to the brim with terrible advice on how to get Windows to stop random reboots, and most of them involve turning off updates using gpedit or blocking Microsoft's connection. So I actually went out of my way to re-find that guide so they could get updates just as often and as normal, but without the random reboots.

your suggestion is about breaking the windows update installation process, which is ironic considering you didn't seem to read the original post you quoted:

I researched a ton of different options and this one is the best:

https://www.joe0.com/2019/10/17/how-to-prevent-windows-10-auto-restart-new-instructions-oct-2019/

Using that, I still get updates automatically. The only difference is my computer will never reboot on its own. When I manually reboot once every ~6 months for whatever reason, all the updates install perfectly. It's the best of all worlds.

univbee posted:

You basically can't (at least not in an official capacity) without running the special Enterprise LTSB/LTSC versions of it. Because people were frequently disabling updates to avoid any sort of bother, a lot of nasty viruses were able to proliferate despite the exploits they relied on having been fixed several months prior, and users would then immediately blame Microsoft for Windows being insecure. Because of this, Microsoft changed course and now forces update installation and reboots on most versions of Windows 10 because the "nice" way wasn't working. You can postpone updates to a certain degree (with increasing allowances if you're running Win10 Pro or Enterprise, and further still if you're running a Windows Server to manage the updates going to the networked machines) but not indefinitely, and you generally have to do the postponements manually.

there is no reason to do this, at all. you definitely have not given a use-case requiring 24/7 uptime, so what are you even accomplishing by doing all this? schedule reboots for 4am or something and start services automatically on boot.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Server would be ideal. I can’t think of anything that would run on the desktop distros and not the server os, but I’ve heard of weirder things.

If you’re going to disable auto restarts, and you probably shouldn’t but I get why you would, just be sure to set up a scheduled task to bounce the computer a couple of times a week in the rear end end of night. That and keeping the updates automated will be good enough for government work. Keeps kiddos in the Peppa zone and keeps your computer/server/whatever humming along just fine. No need for a slap fight.

Now of you were to toss that Plex server on a Linux box....

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 18, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I have about 4 people regularly using my server which is just a win10 pro work machine, and because I'm jumping into it at least once a week I just restart it then. And I only restart it if it's being fucky or if the windows update icon is on the task bar.

What is everyone's experience with Plex competitors? I haven't looked into them at all but I know some people out there are testing them out. I found my way around the subtitle problem by using Jodi's Plex add-on but that isn't ideal.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was extremely exaggerating about going six months without rebooting. I was just saying that to drive home the point that the fix really does make it so you don't randomly reboot. Anyone who has used Windows knows you can't go two weeks without memory leaks getting so bad that you are forced to reboot anyway. I realistically reboot once every two weeks or so. But when I want to, rather than when Windows wants to.

I wanted the poster who was asking, to be aware of the fix I used because it seems to almost never get recommended, and yeah I definitely agree that people who block Windows updates are going to regret it big time. I just don't think that me maybe wanting to reboot manually when no one is watching anything and my computer isn't doing anything is the reason that Moldovan hackers are funding dark web bitcoin hitmen or anything.

I do rotating shift work so my hours are all over the place, so yeah I sometimes do need Plex to be available at 4am on my train ride home. Since my schedule isn't set, I never really know when that's going to be, so I like it being on all the time if possible. Also for Nvidia Gamestream on the Shield Portable.

If the fix I posted actually breaks Windows Update then I was unaware and I apologize. I was under the impression that Windows force rebooting was no different than me rebooting, in terms of applying the updates. With that fix what happens is I get the little taskbar icon showing I have a Windows update, except it never forces a reboot. When I do reboot, the update installs. But by all means if I'm wrong and this fix breaks updates somehow, ignore my suggestion. I dug up the fix for the poster so they didn't get desperate and block updates entirely like someone else suggested (and most of the internet suggests too when you search for it).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I was extremely exaggerating about going six months without rebooting. I was just saying that to drive home the point that the fix really does make it so you don't randomly reboot. Anyone who has used Windows knows you can't go two weeks without memory leaks getting so bad that you are forced to reboot anyway. I realistically reboot once every two weeks or so. But when I want to, rather than when Windows wants to.

This is also bullshit, fwiw :v:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I was just saying that to drive home the point that the fix really does make it so you don't randomly reboot.
Whenever someone mentions this as an issue at all, it's worth trying to find out what they're doing wrong. It's really not an issue. People trying to "solve" this are in three camps
- they believe the memes / lovely blog posts about it
- they're trying to never update and making windows force it
- ITT in particular, they're just not set up for it

The last one is solved by showing people how to auto-login on restart and/or have things start as a service. Your downtime is then just the time it takes to restart, which is very literally 3minutes a month. The first two groups have been more than maligned enough right now, but it's worth noting forced reboots are only happening when people are trying to stop scheduled updates / trying to never reboot. If you're just selecting a convenient time within 7 days and/or just rebooting at some point afterwards, you'll always be fine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wibla posted:

This is also bullshit, fwiw :v:

Now. When using the right drivers/not the wrong peripherals.

3rd party drivers have been and will continue to be the bane of windows stability, but they have done much better in 10.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think the longest uptime I ever had was 2 months and I have 64 gigs of ram. Random weird crap just starts happening after a while like explorer windows not opening or random black boxes showing up on the screen.

I was always amazed when I'd see something like an ATM running Windows 24/7

stevewm
May 10, 2005

I think the longest uptime I ever had was 2 months and I have 64 gigs of ram. Random weird crap just starts happening after a while like explorer windows not opening or random black boxes showing up on the screen.

I was always amazed when I'd see something like an ATM running Windows 24/7

It's not necessarily the OS that has those problems, it's the applications that run on them. A lot of applications hook into various parts of the OS, thus when they have problems like memory leaks, etc.. it can cause OS components to fail too.

When you are dealing with single purpose devices like ATMs running a fixed application, it is not that difficult to achieve stability long term. In addition such devices often have various parts of the OS disabled, or don't actually run the UI (Windows Explorer).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Just anecdotal but my plex server is an old Optiplex with 8gb of ram running Windows Server 2019 and I've never had any problems out of it. It's running the usual Plex/VPN/Sonarr/etc.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I wanted the poster who was asking, to be aware of the fix I used because it seems to almost never get recommended, and yeah I definitely agree that people who block Windows updates are going to regret it big time. I just don't think that me maybe wanting to reboot manually when no one is watching anything and my computer isn't doing anything is the reason that Moldovan hackers are funding dark web bitcoin hitmen or anything.

I do rotating shift work so my hours are all over the place, so yeah I sometimes do need Plex to be available at 4am on my train ride home. Since my schedule isn't set, I never really know when that's going to be, so I like it being on all the time if possible. Also for Nvidia Gamestream on the Shield Portable.

If the fix I posted actually breaks Windows Update then I was unaware and I apologize. I was under the impression that Windows force rebooting was no different than me rebooting, in terms of applying the updates. With that fix what happens is I get the little taskbar icon showing I have a Windows update, except it never forces a reboot. When I do reboot, the update installs. But by all means if I'm wrong and this fix breaks updates somehow, ignore my suggestion. I dug up the fix for the poster so they didn't get desperate and block updates entirely like someone else suggested (and most of the internet suggests too when you search for it).

You’re just giving people the wrong advice for their problem.

The issue to update reboots shutting off your plex server is not to prevent the update, its to make sure those things launch on a reboot.

You’re basically telling someone to gimp their immune system because they don’t like the color of their shirt, rather than just putting on a new shirt.

That’s how ridiculous preventing automatic windows updates is for this issue.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is the old IT adage of "how do I do Y?" rather than "my problem is X, what's the right solution?"

You can answer "how do I turn off Windows Updates?" but the question that we should strive to answer is "my problem is stuff starting up after reboots, what's the right solution?"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The poster asked how to prevent automatic rebooting in Windows, which I posted the fix for. It's literally the exact advice they were asking for about their problem. And all it does is rename the auto reboot executable. It doesn't touch anything related to updates. Windows simply doesn't reboot unless you tell it to by clicking start -> update&restart.

It hasn't broken a single update for me. I reboot when I am ready to instead of clicking "postpone 7 days" or whatever. Most times it's actually much sooner than 7 days! :smug:

The issue to update reboots shutting off your plex server is not to prevent the update, its to make sure those things launch on a reboot.

The poster I replied to never mentioned a single thing about their Plex server not restarting after a reboot. If they said that's the reason they wanted to prevent unattended auto reboots, yeah I wouldn't have replied to them with the link.

You’re basically telling someone to gimp their immune system because they don’t like the color of their shirt, rather than just putting on a new shirt.

I mean if you want to compare that to someone not wanting their computer to reboot while they are transferring files or left an important document open as a reminder or were maybe recording a show or while they are in the middle of something else, sure. FYI disabling Windows automatic rebooting is probably the most common query related to Windows 10 in history. It's not an uncommon request. And most of the "fixes" out there completely blocks updates via GPedit.exe or setting a fake metered connection. There's people out there tricking their ethernet connection into looking like a wifi connection just to block updates because of how bad they hate automatic reboots ffs.

Most people's issue isn't really with Windows automatically downloading updates (I don't remember anyone having a beef with it in the Windows 7 days), it's the automatic rebooting that pisses people off.

I posted the link because I didn't want the poster to search the problem on Reddit or something and end up using some stupid hack that blocks updates; also because I felt like helping answer a question they asked. :shrug:

I never recommended preventing automatic Windows updates and I never would. The poster who mentioned the metered wi-fi connection trick did. As are the people who recommend the GPEdit trick everywhere (seriously, if you Google "prevent Windows 10 auto rebooting", 99% of the results are how to disable updating via gpedit or even the goddamn registry). The trick I found was a bit obscure and hard to find, so I went out of my way to re-find it for them because they probably would have not come across it on their own (it took me a good 10 minutes to find it again. I don't recall how I came across it originally). The only system I've ever blocked automatic updates on in my life is my MAME cabinet because it's never connected to the internet and I had some Windows update screw up latency or audio or something (I'm forgetting what it was exactly to be honest) which forced me to wipe and reinstall to an older version.

I mean I really didn't want there to be this 2 page derail because of a single one-link reply I made to someone asking for help; can someone help me figure out this season 8/season 9 issue with Beavis and Butt-head? lol

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Sure is getting spicy in here... let's all Plex-n-sex.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I mean I really didn't want there to be this 2 page derail because of a single one-link reply I made to someone asking for help
Then you want to read the post just above yours on why you were tackling the wrong problem, and stop trying to defend it.
As both I and madsushi stated, you were trying to solve the wrong problem. If someone is trying to stop Windows 10 from rebooting whilst they're using it, they're already doing something wrong. You can treat the symptom alone (and cause more issues in doing so) or you can work out what the actual problem is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Anyone know of a good solution for a YouTube agent for Plex? The ZeroQl agent is decent but has some issues with thinking one video is another one from a progress perspective. It’s not a huge deal but is annoying enough to try and fix.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Khablam posted:

Then you want to read the post just above yours on why you were tackling the wrong problem, and stop trying to defend it.
As both I and madsushi stated, you were trying to solve the wrong problem. If someone is trying to stop Windows 10 from rebooting whilst they're using it, they're already doing something wrong. You can treat the symptom alone (and cause more issues in doing so) or you can work out what the actual problem is.

This exactly.

There's a reason any OS is going to start throwing authentication flags (WAC, Mac admin pass, etc) when you start messing around with certain stuff. There's a minor security aspect to it, but a ton of it is the computer shouting "Hey idiot, you sure you want to do this? You could really gently caress something up if you do it wrong. Last chance."

Like madsushi said, with IT support type requests, just giving the answer is almost never right. There needs to be a "why", because most of the time there is a better way to solve the woe or solving the woe isn't worth the damage/risk.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
i can't believe Linux nerds are acting insufferably pedantic

If I have plex pass, can people I invite use my live tv tuner? or is that only for the users on the main account?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

If I have plex pass, can people I invite use my live tv tuner? or is that only for the users on the main account?

It's a little confusing because you used to be able to, but it was an oversight in Plex that they allowed it by accident back a year or two ago.

It's not really a great idea to do it anyway because if you let so much as 1 or 2 people use it, there's a very real chance you'll use up your 2-4 antenna at a time setup (unless you splurged the $3,000 for that 8 tuner HD Homerun device).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Have to be a Home user. Yes it’s lovely.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Windows automated reboots can gently caress right off. You also shouldn't expose any windows computer to the internet without the latest patches constantly installing. Choose one. Reboot it every Monday morning or something, but seriously choose one.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Have to be a Home user. Yes it’s lovely.

eh I can see why its like that. also my tuner is some cheap POS that apparently only has 2 tuners on it which I totally forgot about so looks like I dodged a bullet giving anyone access to it! I totally forgot about those restrictions.

H110Hawk posted:

Windows automated reboots can gently caress right off. You also shouldn't expose any windows computer to the internet without the latest patches constantly installing. Choose one. Reboot it every Monday morning or something, but seriously choose one.

I use win10 as a server too and this is exactly what I do. a lot of times I would do things like keep an explorer window open and maximized as a reminder that I had to do something (say, convert the videos in that folder or something) only to find out the computer random rebooted and I now can't remember what it was I was gonna do.

It's probably the only annoyance I have with win10 besides the constant forced move from more classic windows menus like add remove programs being that metro mess they try to force down your throat even though no one uses windows tablets. I weep for the day they eventually change device manager to a metro theme.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have no idea why some of you are such assholes about rebooting, but calm the gently caress down. Stop reporting people for not necessarily posting the correct advice about rebooting. No one is going to get probated for posting in a perfectly respectful way, just containing incorrect technical info. Engage them, talk to them, correct them. Respectfully. I will reversal of fortune on your rear end if you keep doing this.

Thanks have a nice day

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have no idea why some of you are such assholes about rebooting, but calm the gently caress down. Stop reporting people for not necessarily posting the correct advice about rebooting. No one is going to get probated for posting in a perfectly respectful way, just containing incorrect technical info. Engage them, talk to them, correct them. Respectfully. I will reversal of fortune on your rear end if you keep doing this.

Thanks have a nice day

This is hilarious. It's like angrily downvoting automod on reddit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wow some goons seriously reported a goon for trying to help? The gently caress? Lol. Yikes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

teagone posted:

Wow some goons seriously reported a goon for trying to help? The gently caress? Lol. Yikes.

Yeah I'm pissy about that, sorry. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a discussion where someone's bad/incorrect technical info is corrected, but they're perfectly nice/respectful in posting it. That is not worthy of a report and I will poo poo on your rear end if you do that!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Can’t stop/won’t stop reporting anyone who gets your/you’re usage incorrect :colbert::haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

priznat posted:

Can’t stop/won’t stop reporting anyone who gets your/you’re usage incorrect :colbert::haw:

That's hilarious. Maybe I'll start reporting people who use than/then wrong. I fuckin' hate that poo poo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Thanks have a nice day

Lmao that's so loving sad. And hilarious. Salarious.

Edit: I just realized I've never reported a post in my 20+ years here lol

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 20, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

priznat posted:

you're* rear end, my apologies for getting it wrong in my post

frh
Dec 6, 2014

can you imagine these people at parties

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Plex Megathread: Report Your Reboots

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually glazed over the initial frooferaw but drat this is more drama for the thread than the recent plex game streaming addition :haw:

(Also no I don’t report grammar fails was just joking)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

goons.xlsx

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's a tale as old as time itself.
The virgin windows ""server"" operator and the Linux chad.

The Windows user walks in. So sure is he that the Windows 10 Home OEM install he's rocking some 5 miles down the road is still running. After all, he'd applied all the newest tech-tips from windows10sux.net and stoprebooting.org/blog. He was going to have reliable uptime. "It's all you need to do and it's easy" he thought to himself, and told others, too. Little did he know the last hotfix has also flipped back on the services he'd tortured out of existence. The stage was set. Hitting delay didn't matter he'd thought, it won't reboot itself now.
The night goes well. He talks to an attractive stranger. Despite all logic to the contrary, they and a couple of others were fascinated about the 1999 live performance of Radiohead's No Surprises "it really does just have a different atmosphere, you have to hear it". He lets them try to find it on Spotify. Tidal. Nothing. So smug is he that he has the answer. That bootleg copy he got in 2003 off DC++.
He connects to the bluetooth speaker system, and fires up Plex Amp. He sits, looking at the screen.
"Anyone else getting bad wifi?"
"yeah its a bit slow with so many people here"
Phew it must be that
Over to 5g.
Nothing. The icon is just spinning on plex amp. 'There was an error navigating to the specified item'
shitshitshit
Did it crash? What could it be?
teamviewerhelpmenowshowmethereason
A gray icon. Last online 3hrs ago.
It had rebooted. Neither was set to start as a service.
"I er, well, hmm, I can't find it either.. I guess"
The rest of the night does not go well.

At the other side of the party, the Linux user is doing well. Battle stories of "Microsoft refund day" with enough cheap vodka and nostalgia were landing well. The nearby speakers pump out the latest spotify advert for some lovely sedan. The cracked iPhone 6 plugged in suggested their owner wouldn't be picking up premium any time soon, least of all during this party. He asked around ... did no one here pay for it? "No..er I guess I could borrow-".
He'd heard enough, he wasn't about to try and push people into a paid subscription service, not when you have FLACs at home.
He takes the AUX and plugs it in, because of course he's still running a phone with one. He pulls up the regular plex app, the interface is better because he saw it first. He takes requests and hey, he has the second one. The whole discography. He starts it at their difficult third album, because there's probably a conversation in that he thought.
The soft lossless tones of Coldplay's - X&Y come forth. Despite a somewhat unbalanced start, he thought people were a bit unfair labelling it as such.
Fix you is a real drunk party pleaser to inebriated 30-somethings.
His copy was the Tour Edition, because it was the only version someone had bothered to upload as an .APE&.CUE file, and so easily do they become FLACs.
"This is the live version" he says "Live like my kernel, I can apply security patches without rebooting. It's pretty easy when you run the LTS kernel, it's easy to swap kernels in the distro I use, which is arch btw"
But it just felt like a weird conversation to have when people were dancing, now half dressed, to the speed of sound.

He'd remember that party for a long time.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 21, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Folks please just keep your system security patches up to date. Idgaf about how else you live your life.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ok but windows update restarted with a splash screen that wanted clicked before any other processes were allowed to start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Ok but windows update restarted with a splash screen that wanted clicked before any other processes were allowed to start

Run the command "control userpasswords2"

Uncheck "users must enter a username and password to use this computer".