Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a bit of a “Beam me up, Scotty” situation where he doesn’t literally say “oh and one more thing” every time, but oh god yeah he always does that oh btw act as his gotcha. I’ve only seen the first three seasons, but the only time I can recall him breaking his own routine is the Leonard Nimoy one where Columbo gets pissed off and just lays his entire case against him on the table and says he’s coming for him.

"Ya know sir, it's a funny thing..."

Columbowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aardvark! posted:

Columbo, the character and actor Peter Falk is just phenomenally good. He's on par easily with Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot, but he's built for the medium and so well acted. :discourse:

The way he almost terrorizes his suspects. He's a troll

It's an interesting way of approaching the genre. I really enjoyed one episode of Kojak that did a similar thing; street kid does a job for hire, Kojak knows he did it but can't prove it (yet), and the whole episode's just tightening the noose and making life difficult for the kid trying to flip him before the guys he's covering for shut him up. It's brutal.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah. I've been there from the beginning! There used to be a few of us. Those are...quite the sunglasses. Side note. I love this character/actor. Have you ever seen this guys IMDB? I checked it out one time to see what else I could see him in and it's practically non-existent. Dude doesn't even have a Wikipedia Page (not even one of those highlighted red stub ones).

Huh, I had no idea. He's really good at the depressed piece-of-poo poo but hypercompetent cia agent role, anyway.

Looten Plunder posted:

Edit: I did my best to find them for you. This is as close as I got

hah thanks! I figure they're some sort of Carrera knockoff, but I hadn't found any with the S instead of the C. One step closer...

Looten Plunder posted:

The show certainly changes over it's run. It starts of as a quaint early 90s black LA period piece. Introduces the birth of the crack epidemic with some Breaking Bad style "how are we going to facilitate the logistics of running a drug trade when we are in way over our head and there is all these scary arms/drug kingpins" show. Then once Crack gets big everyone loses their innocence and the show gets a lot darker. Now it's just a full on gang war shoot 'em up show.

yeah, the show changes a lot, in that it's devoted to fairly long-form character and plot development, but it does it so consistently that you could also say the show doesn't really change much at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching China, IL and I had to laugh at during the Dream Reamer battle there was a cameo by the Mind Fuckler.

Although thing that hasn't aged well from the show is Professor Cakes (played by Jeffrey Tambor) sleeping with/hitting on students.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Haha oh wow yeah that in particular looks bad in retrospect. I was figuring you'd say steve for the same but I had no clue who the VA was for Doctor cakes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/oscarisaaquinho/status/1373271393761116168
So, Moon Knight is going to be pretty cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That just makes me want a Batman movie with Oscar Isaac

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moon Knight is basically a better Batman anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It would be lovely if we could go just a few years without a new Batman, but alas.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's like Mario games there will be a new one every 5 years until you die

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

It's like Mario games there will be a new one every 5 years until you die

Hopefully more often than that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

They’re really gonna make me give a poo poo about moon knight, aren’t they

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They’re really gonna make me give a poo poo about moon knight, aren’t they

Moon Knight is such an under-appreciated character. Well worth giving a poo poo about.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Great thread title change imho

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Moon Knight is such an under-appreciated character. Well worth giving a poo poo about.

Yeah moon knight is super underrated

gently caress yeah!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/saeedtaji/status/1372949606204649483

Dean Norris continues his role as most cursed actor in TV.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what in the unholy gently caress is that?

WHO WATCHES THESE SHOWS?!?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Binged S1 of Search Party, really enjoyed it but it's also not as fulfilling as I'd like in a show and I don't identify with any of the characters.

I hear the show changes over the course of the next couple seasons. Should I stick with it?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Binged S1 of Search Party, really enjoyed it but it's also not as fulfilling as I'd like in a show and I don't identify with any of the characters.

I hear the show changes over the course of the next couple seasons. Should I stick with it?

Yeah.

Each season is a different kind of thriller, and the show becomes increasingly unhinged as it moves past its Millennial thesis. It's very good.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Just started S3, it's weird that it kind of feels broader, I guess to ease in new viewers, but it's playing well off the horror of the situation they put themselves in.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

abelwingnut posted:

It's gonna get 9 seasons

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

There's something about the way he's moving all slouched over there that seems very troll-like.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You get hunched over like that from watching sex gifs all day

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

abelwingnut posted:

Do they get CBS in Afghanistan? If not, i can think of about 3500 Americans who will not be watching it. Maybe their dads that fought in that same war can record it for them and all the interpreters the US left for dead rather than letting them immigrate as promised.

So many lols, can't wait.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

This is an April fools joke, right? Right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is an April fools joke, right? Right?

Old people eat this poo poo up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Old people eat this poo poo up.

Yup. My parents will almost certainly watch and love all ten seasons of this godawful show, just like BBT before it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The premise of Bob Hearts Abishola is basically the same, white person likes non-white person, how wacky and unusual!!!!!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1373649594370772992?s=21

https://twitter.com/dyllyp/status/1373658227842244614?s=21

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

It sounds like the exact same joke-telling cadence as Balky from Perfect Strangers, and I only watched like two episodes of that show because it was on Nick@Nite so late in the 90s/2000s

I think I'll put some episodes of Perfect Strangers on my tablet for next time the power goes out

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 21, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yup. My parents will almost certainly watch and love all ten seasons of this godawful show, just like BBT before it.

While complaining about the ethnic character the entire time

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Milo and POTUS posted:

While complaining about the ethnic character the entire time

Nah, characters like the interpreter in that trailer and Raj from BBT are written to be as completely non-threatening and pathetically lovable as possible just for old white casually racist audiences.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"He's one of the good ones" right?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Josh Lyman posted:

I don't identify with any of the characters.

That is very much intentional and I would be concerned about you otherwise.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

That’s essentially what the shows are going for without saying it out loud, yeah. It’s disgusting and it’s pretty much SOP for CBS broadcast shows regardless of genre.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They start out with just a single facet of average boring every day life, but with

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s essentially what the shows are going for without saying it out loud, yeah. It’s disgusting and it’s pretty much SOP for CBS broadcast shows regardless of genre.

and go "Hey! Get a load of this! It's hilarious!" and act like it's as unusual a scenario as the premise of Three's Company

Imagine the "sitcom episode of a dramatic show" trope, but done in a mean and ridiculing way with your own life

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 21, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

"well it's nice but they can't just let anyone come over, what if they are terrorists?"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I'll never forget in 2008, when my ex-wife and I were hanging out with her family watching Wisconsin football, and during halftime, they went to the local news and they ran a clip of Candidate Obama talking about something or other. My ex-wife's grandmother, who at that point was 83, says to no one in particular, "He really is very well-spoken, you know, for one of those people."

I've never had a bigger :stare: on my face as I did at that exact moment. And then the rest of the family chimed in with their approval, not even bothering to attempt to re-phrase or alter the tone of the discussion.

Should have known right then and there that my marriage was doomed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Add Thomas Middleditch to the "gently caress you" list.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1373673565254512645

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
guardiansofthegalaxywho.gif