Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The horror that woman has been through. I hope she makes it as a director so she never has to put up with this poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the actress from the AT&T commercials, responding to speculation that she’s covering up a baby bump because the most recent commercials are shooting her just above her bust line.

https://twitter.com/mintmilana/status/1373438495465730048?s=21

Honestly, 100% respect. Call this dogshit out, take ownership of your body, tell the creeps it is their fault. I like all of this.

The comments on this are...I don’t want to say shocking, but they’re loving insane.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That’s actually cool that she directs her own commercials.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1373728554224029696?s=21

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the actress from the AT&T commercials, responding to speculation that she’s covering up a baby bump because the most recent commercials are shooting her just above her bust line.

https://twitter.com/mintmilana/status/1373438495465730048?s=21

Honestly, 100% respect. Call this dogshit out, take ownership of your body, tell the creeps it is their fault. I like all of this.

She directs her own commercials? That's pretty impressive. I didn't think they'd let you do that.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Judakel posted:

She directs her own commercials? That's pretty impressive. I didn't think they'd let you do that.

Does she always or just in the time of COVID?

e: the number of men in the comments of that all 'but I only gave compliments! Women like that!' and ignoring everyone telling them to gently caress off.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

HopperUK posted:

e: the number of men in the comments of that all 'but I only gave compliments! Women like that!' and ignoring everyone telling them to gently caress off.

Ah the Cuomo defense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

These same men would 100% freak out if someone they were not attracted to started talking about their rear end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

These same men would 100% freak out if someone they were not attracted to started talking about their rear end.

I had a coworker saying it was weird how women get so upset when they're at the club and a guy dances with them because he wouldn't mind if a woman did the same to him. Since he'd sleep with any women no matter how attractive/unattractive I couldn't go that route so the only way I could get through to him was saying "now imagine it's a guy twice your size [he's a small dude] grinding up behind you". These guys would all be having meltdowns if other guys were saying "cute rear end" or "I want your dick" in their instagram comments/DMs 24/7.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://twitter.com/snaggletoothlou/status/1373737075715940353?s=20

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I read through the whole DM, and I don't see gaslighting? It might be a manipulative pity play, but dude's not challenging her version of events or telling her she was wrong.

To be clear, I'm only talking about those DMs. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate somebody showing/explaining how, I'm trying to make sure I don't have a blindspot on this.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 21, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Isn't he the nerd who married way out of his league but wanted to have an open relationship once he became famous?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had a coworker saying it was weird how women get so upset when they're at the club and a guy dances with them because he wouldn't mind if a woman did the same to him. Since he'd sleep with any women no matter how attractive/unattractive I couldn't go that route so the only way I could get through to him was saying "now imagine it's a guy twice your size [he's a small dude] grinding up behind you". These guys would all be having meltdowns if other guys were saying "cute rear end" or "I want your dick" in their instagram comments/DMs 24/7.

I (as a man) have never understood dickpics, especially it (apparently) being one of the first things guys send to women they don't even know. Then again, I also do not like people touching me without my permission so I am sure I am an anomaly

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Groovelord Neato posted:

Isn't he the nerd who married way out of his league but wanted to have an open relationship once he became famous?
Yes. He talks about it in interviews all the time. Basically, the same excuse as Whedon “I’m surrounded by all these hot women, what am I supposed to do?”

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Whoever said "Male homophobia is really heterosexual men's fear of being treated the same way they treat women" was spot on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Crackbone posted:

I read through the whole DM, and I don't see gaslighting? It might be a manipulative pity play, but dude's not challenging her version of events or telling her she was wrong.

To be clear, I'm only talking about those DMs. If I'm wrong, I would appreciate somebody showing/explaining how, I'm trying to make sure I don't have a blindspot on this.

did you read through the article?

cuz he groped her

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

And it looks like it nuked his marriage too. They divorced shortly after the playboy interview where he talked about how great it was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Aaaaand it looks like Dan Avidan of Game Grumps has been accused of grooming.

There are no good men. They are all rapists. This is what our species has always been. Decent men are aberrations. God loving drat it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
A dude from Game Grumps being a loving creep is your final straw? I could have told you at least one of them was a pervert based entirely on the name "Game Grumps."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

A dude from Game Grumps being a loving creep is your final straw? I could have told you at least one of them was a pervert based entirely on the name "Game Grumps."

I dunno if I should be glad or disappointed that you didn’t latch on to the far more obvious fact that the dude in question also has the stage name “Danny Sexbang” and his band is called “Ninja Sex Party”. I was actually waiting to see how long it would take until someone one bring that up.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 22, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

People are allowed to be in open relationships and poly no matter how they look.

That said, that's not really the issue with Middleditch. He basically told her after they already were married that he wanted an open relationship. And then talked in Playboy very condescendingly about her agreeing to it. Who knows what her actual experience was, but Middleditch talked about swinging which was kind of weird for people who are poly or in open relationships because he was clearly an idiot who just wanted to gently caress and didn't consider how you can do that in a healthy way. The fact that he was apparently taking her to sex parties--which once again, who knows her feelings--instead of just dating someone or having a threesome seemed a bit much in the context of how unenthusiastic his wife's consent to the plan was. He also talks about how they argue about it constantly which is not a good sign.

So just to be clear, Middleditch isn't lovely for wanting to bang other people. He's lovely because he's a loving idiot who doesn't understand enthusiastic consent and acts like it's 1972. Also, what he did to that woman.

Crackbone posted:

It's gaslighting in a few ways:

--Sadness is not an excuse for ignoring someone's consent. Not in the sense that there is no excuse, but in the sense that he's creating another reality where he was so sad he had grope madness. I am sure a lot of us have been horny sad where we sent an ill advised text message or pass, but the notion that you forget how consent works is absurd.

-- As mentioned, Middleditch already has a clear issue understanding the premise of enthusiastic consent. For he is a piece of poo poo.

-- His DMs are trying to create an alternate world where the above is not true.

-- Middleditch is sending it so he can keep getting work. The premise is a loving lie. Everyone who is being "mean" to him already knows. Taking anything down is just trying to relieve damage and stopping those "meanies" by undermining their evidence that he loving sucks.

-- He is then playing this game of stating that she has authority, but then trying to undermine it. When he's saying it's her choice, it is not for her benefit because no poo poo, she's a grown rear end woman. It's acting as a disclaimer that he is not harassing her to do anything when in fact he is.

--Middleditch is a grown man. He knows you're not supposed to molest people without their consent and thought he could do it anyway. He knows the way you apologize is by saying, "You're sorry." He knows that when someone doesn't accept your apology you just move on. Acting otherwise is treating a millionaire who is pushing forty like they're a baby.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 22, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

There are no good men. They are all rapists. This is what our species has always been. Decent men are aberrations. God loving drat it.

I would say it is more that there is a not-coincidental connection between desire for fame/power and the kind of mindset that wants to do those sorts of things. Even if you're just talking about Youtube People it generally isn't a career you do without a specific reason, be it a desire for personal fame or for the (ugh) 'perks' that fame brings you. Combine that with years and years of media basically pressing the idea that if you become famous you can do whatever you want (which was perfectly embodied by 'guy who is famous for being famous became president') and it's no surprise that you see a lot of these things happening among 'personalities.' It kind of ends up self-selecting for abusive people. And when it doesn't you have people whose livelihood and similar addictive fame is tied to downplaying those things so they get to thrive. (As seems to be the case with GGs covering this poo poo up.)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I would say it is more that there is a not-coincidental connection between desire for fame/power and the kind of mindset that wants to do those sorts of things.

I mean yeah, I figured as much but it’s so depressing on how just a modicum of power turns people into monsters.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno if I should be glad or disappointed that you didn’t latch on to the far more obvious fact that the dude in question also has the stage name “Danny Sexbang” and his band is called “Ninja Sex Party”

Jesus loving Christ, what a loving shocker this guy is a sex pest. Next you're going to tell me the rich dude who still somehow lives in a white van with no windows and is nicknamed "David the Rapist" is also some sort of miscreant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AceOfFlames posted:

I dunno if I should be glad or disappointed that you didn’t latch on to the far more obvious fact that the dude in question also has the stage name “Danny Sexbang” and his band is called “Ninja Sex Party”

Oh no I love that one song. Now it’s gross for me gently caress

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

AceOfFlames posted:

Ahhhhh for gently caress sake!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
FWIW, at the time the Middleditch interview came out it was widely regarded to be a sleazy as hell example of exactly how not to be poly, and he basically comes off even in the most generous interpretations as basically having bullied his wife into letting him cheat on her. It was when I tapped out on him at least.

I’ll just say this here in regards to game grumps: No adult of any gender a should allow minors in their discords. I’m sorry, kids have kid spaces to talk to other kids, they can go to any wide variety of public social media sites or whatever, those sites have DMs, whatever... but if you’re a media personality with a patreon and discord for fans, you need to have a hard and fast rule NO MINORS and you need to stick to it it. you don’t want kids to be put in danger, and grown adults literally don’t have a reason to talk to kids about a goddam thing.

I’m not saying adults and children can’t have healthy interactions, but I’m saying a private and unmoderated discord server absolutely isn’t the place for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This song was cool because it was kind workin for me but now...

song posted:

Danny, don’t you know that you are hot as gently caress on the inside?
Everybody knows the best bananas will be ripe with time
Danny, don’t you know that you kick so much rear end on the inside?
Danny, don’t you know?
Danny, don’t you know?
Danny, don’t you know?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Jesus loving Christ, what a loving shocker this guy is a sex pest. Next you're going to tell me the rich dude who still somehow lives in a white van with no windows and is nicknamed "David the Rapist" is also some sort of miscreant.

While it's all good to drag him for what he's done, going back to the well of "oh well he looked/acted like he'd be a sex pest" isn't helpful because tons of people exposed as sex pests didn't "act" like a sex pest and yet are still capable of doing monstrous things.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

While it's all good to drag him for what he's done, going back to the well of "oh well he looked/acted like he'd be a sex pest" isn't helpful because tons of people exposed as sex pests didn't "act" like a sex pest and yet are still capable of doing monstrous things.

Yeah, most sex pests don't belong to a band called "Ninja Sex Party," but when someone is in a band called "Ninja Sex Party" I'm not going to be shocked when I find out they have terrible opinions about things like consent and age appropriate relationships.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pentyne posted:

Actually I think it IS helpful! Let’s stop excusing this kind of behavior! Let’s starts going “HEY! Why is your stage persona a sexual creep? Why are you trying to give off sex creep vibes?”.

Maybe if we start pushing back on these weird sex creep macho man pussy-grabber archetypes instead of just dusting our hands off like “oh well it’s just an act, he’s never really done anything” then we’ll stop having to hear about them all actually being pedofiles and rapists a few years up the road.

It’s like with Bryan Callen a couple months ago. Here’s a guy who acts like a braggadocios sexist in literally every minute of broadcasting he’s ever done. Whitney Cummings scrubbed like a hundred hours of podcasts she’d done with him because she herself tells multiple stories about him basically trying to force her to perform oral on him, like many stories over the years of them being friends and coworkers.

I understand the purity at play in the idea behind “let’s not go down this route” but I think we’d actually catch a lot of guys if we did at least stop accepting “rock & roll sex creep” as a socially acceptable personality in 2021.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Judging a book by it's cover is all well and good - all-time terrible sex pest Weinstein is a good example of someone who looks the part.

However, Armie Hammer looks like a sunglasses model and is a very frightening person, Middleditch looks like the idealised version of a Genius Bar employee and is creepy in a rather specific way. Hell, look at Jared Leto.

If anythings it's almost worse when they're attractive, it makes you wonder what else they get away with.

Not everyone with bad behavior looks the part.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, most sex pests don't belong to a band called "Ninja Sex Party," but when someone is in a band called "Ninja Sex Party" I'm not going to be shocked when I find out they have terrible opinions about things like consent and age appropriate relationships.

Yeah because all sex pests are going to fit a type.

jesus loving christ 5 years of this poo poo and people still love to play the "well I always suspected:smuggo:"

It does actual real harm because then someone who doesn't fit the type is accused and suddenly everyone is like "well they don't seem like they would, I don't really believe that"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ninja sex party is nonsense silly words

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

Yeah because all sex pests are going to fit a type.

jesus loving christ 5 years of this poo poo and people still love to play the "well I always suspected:smuggo:"

It does actual real harm because then someone who doesn't fit the type is accused and suddenly everyone is like "well they don't seem like they would, I don't really believe that"

Show me where I said anything resembling that? Most abusers hide their abuse, some abusers make it shocking obviously they're abusive and it's really weird to me that people are astonished about it when it turns out they are poo poo.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

CelticPredator posted:

Ninja sex party is nonsense silly words

My band's name is Monkey Cheese gently caress

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AceOfFlames posted:

Welp. This sucks. This is another "I supported a creep" situation for me.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Judakel posted:

My band's name is Monkey Cheese gently caress

My band is monkey jism hypnotism exorcism,we do weddings.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Or they're on a YouTube gaming channel. The last 18 months or so have shown these channels to be like 30-40 sex criminal by volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Show me where I said anything resembling that? Most abusers hide their abuse, some abusers make it shocking obviously they're abusive and it's really weird to me that people are astonished about it when it turns out they are poo poo.

Skwirl posted:

Jesus loving Christ, what a loving shocker this guy is a sex pest.

again, this is a line of thinking that is not helpful in general, because the implication that a certain set of behavior is indicative of guilt means the reverse is true.