Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Well this has ruined my night! Do we get it tomorrow now?

You can find the partial broadcast on YouTube with okay subtitles now, if you're super impatient like me.

:siren: NATURAL DISASTER INDUCED SPOILERS :siren:

Zeke is great at close combat
for a clown
at the circus
idiot

edit: I don't think I've ever sniped a page before but now I've done it twice in a row

a seagull fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
It'll likely be rebroadcast next week, so don't bother watching the low quality incomplete version; you'll spend a week without a new AoT episode either way.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The versions I found were not low quality, but yeah, if you have the strength wait until next week. Otherwise, enjoy what's out there because GODDAMN!! that's an episode.

SPOILERS BELOW:
I love Zeke's "Not again!!" as Levi casually tears through all of his titans and ruins his plans...again! Also the music during that entire scene was loving awesome.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 15, 2021

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I also watched it. I am too weak

That episode is loving SICK SICK NASTY gently caress I CAN'T WAIT TO TALK ABOUT IT SHIIIIIII

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ep14:

Levi and Zeke's relationship, in a nutshell:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W713nw7gTbg

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

GDI Planet Earth, I want to watch the episode but not if it's incomplete.

(Thanks for putting the stuff in spoiler tags, now I know where to go back to when I cave in and watch it.)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Looks like they're gonna reair the episode next week, and then air the following episode right after that
https://twitter.com/anime_shingeki/status/1371385795123109890

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Double episode, yes please!

Here's a question that I don't think is a spoiler: why is Eren's hand constantly bleeding now?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

Here's a question that I don't think is a spoiler: why is Eren's hand constantly bleeding now?

He just cut it and doesn't want to heal it.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

Theoretically the only way for Eren (or really any shifter) to be restrained at this point is if someone gags him and bind his hands to keep him from transforming.

If he's constantly wounded and intentionally doesn't heal, he's capable of transforming whenever he wants, regardless of whether they get the drop on him in an instant.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

it's a threat that he is willing to Titan at any moment.

edit: beaten

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thought so, thanks! Man I can't WAIT to talk about his conversation with Mikasa and Armin. A LOT to unpack there

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I broke down and bought the game on Steam (AOT2 Final Battle). Way too expensive but I am PUMPED for it

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I looked it up, and Floch is a playable character. Please steer him directly into a titan's mouth.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Finally caught up on the thread (y'all post a lot) because I didn't want to get spoilered while rewatching the whole series, but I'm caught up to the show now, too!
First off: wow. Wow wow wow. Wow. :wom:

This is such a great show! It's probably one of the best television shows of the last two decades! I really hope they stick the landing, because the whole thing is a joy right now! Rewatching prior to the new season already revealed a lot of hidden gems, and now I'll have to go back through again after ~the final season~. Just so much going on and so many early plants and plot seeds that get watered by every successive season! Also, I thought the intro sucked on first viewing, but now I realize it is probably the best one...a hard toss up between this and the one with all the animal titans running at the end.

Anywho, is there any word on them finishing the series? I've only watched the show, but my friend who reads says it is stopping at 116 out of 130-something??? No Final Season Part 2? No movies? :derp:

Tell me we are getting a Final Season Part II?

Suds McBoo posted:

He's convinced himself that he survived the suicide charge unscathed because he has a Destiny, rather than through sheer luck. So Eren is now his messiah and he is Eren's dutiful, unquestioning apostle.

Also he just sucks.

They needed a devil, and their's died. Whoever said upthread that Floch pick up the pitchfork had it exact...

P-Mack posted:

I don't think the Japanese cartoon with a big mushroom cloud and then a bunch of children dying amidst bombed out rubble was aiming for a reaction of "Haha, take that, bad people!" Just a hunch.

Yeah...reading through this thread to catch up and hitting page 16 like :yikes:

Alan_Shore posted:

True but also in the show they literally had no choice but to attack or get wiped out. It's weird, it's an awful situation all round. But I think you are supposed to be cheering for our heroes just a little bit.

Not even the subtext, the actual text explicitly refutes this.

Eren tells Reiner "I'm just like you."
Then Reiner denies it: he tells Eren everyone else wanted to go home but he forced the others. Without Reiner, the attack never would have happened that day, perhaps not ever...
Eren tells Reiner again "I'm just like you."
We later learn that Eren came here, against the will of the others, perpetuating a brutal attack with massive collateral damage because he insisted against everyone else's wishes.

You are absolutely not supposed to be cheering this on in any way.

Schwarzwald posted:

Eren had a better life, but it's not he didn't also grow up in a violent ghetto.

He absolutely did not grow up in a violent ghetto. The standard of living in Paradis, pre-RBA, is obviously much higher than in the rest of the world. If they could unwind the clock, I'm sure most of the Scouts would choose to live in isolated peace.

Levi, on the other hand...

Maera Sior posted:

- Galaxy brain theory involving Zeke, so I'm going to spoiler tag it. Zeke was told by his parents to become a Warrior and act like the perfect Marleyan in order to save Eldia, so turning in his parents was exactly what he needed to do.

I also had this thought!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Marleyan treatment of Eldians is extremely bad, and I think in many ways the root cause of the conflict (it's both the reason why Grisha took the founding titan and the reason why Reiner felt compelled to execute his plan). But this war will mostly come down to two groups of Eldians fighting each other.
Yeah my impression of episode 4 is that he's desperately lying to himself and trying to avoid the obvious conclusion that what he did was monstrously wrong. I think that's also why he reprimanded someone for speaking out against Marleyans earlier in the series.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Paradisians are early 1800s coded while Marleyans are early 1900s coded. That's the difference.

They share the same historical and cultural roots, their architecture is similar, and even their language has barely deviated from a hundred years' isolation.

I think one of the things that is lost is that Marley is just a post-coup Eldian Empire. They stole power and most of the titans from the king, but it is still a militaristic nation run by noble Eldians who use titans militarily to secure a global hegemony and their own position. We don't even know for certain that the average Eldian had it any better under the Empire, just Marley's propaganda that they were given special treatment. And honestly, I'm not sure ~special treatment~ exactly makes up for the fact that at any time a person can literally have their agency and personality stripped away as they are turned into a giant monster.

teagone posted:

Udo (RIP) also noted that the Liberio internment zone is/was actually decent place to live for Eldians compared to the rest of the world...which is insane. It's just that Marley has had the monopoly on titan power (for now), and has held that over the other nations for years. I imagine after the Paradisian Liberio raid, the rest of the world is going to double down on their own shittiness towards Eldians and like fast-track their aerial warfare capabilities.

We've been told this, by the fascists who benefit from this narrative, but have we ever seen Eldians outside of Marley or how they are treated? Or is this literally just taking Marley's propaganda at face value?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Finally caught up on the thread (y'all post a lot) because I didn't want to get spoilered while rewatching the whole series, but I'm caught up to the show now, too!
First off: wow. Wow wow wow. Wow. :wom:

This is such a great show! It's probably one of the best television shows of the last two decades! I really hope they stick the landing, because the whole thing is a joy right now! Rewatching prior to the new season already revealed a lot of hidden gems, and now I'll have to go back through again after ~the final season~. Just so much going on and so many early plants and plot seeds that get watered by every successive season! Also, I thought the intro sucked on first viewing, but now I realize it is probably the best one...a hard toss up between this and the one with all the animal titans running at the end.

Anywho, is there any word on them finishing the series? I've only watched the show, but my friend who reads says it is stopping at 116 out of 130-something??? No Final Season Part 2? No movies? :derp:

Tell me we are getting a Final Season Part II?

We almost certainly are. The season's going to end right in the middle of some big events, and the ratings are very strong.

The question is when, because Mappa's the only studio willing to take this kind of workload, and they've got a very full schedule.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

chiasaur11 posted:

We almost certainly are. The season's going to end right in the middle of some big events, and the ratings are very strong.

The question is when, because Mappa's the only studio willing to take this kind of workload, and they've got a very full schedule.

Pretend I don't understand what this means or the timelines involved.

Actually: don't pretend. :hmmyes:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pretend I don't understand what this means or the timelines involved.

Actually: don't pretend. :hmmyes:

Right. To try to keep things simple, especially since I'm a layman here as well:

1) Attack on Titan is a very difficult show to make. It's got a lot of characters, very dynamic action sequences, detailed scenery, and a realistic art style that makes some shortcuts much less viable.

2) The company that publishes Attack on Titan wanted an anime done quickly anyway (that is, in less time than most similar anime need). Most studios were unable or unwilling to do this. Only Mappa agreed out of all the studios they approached. (Wit, the studio for season 1-3, finished there because the workload was pretty crippling.)

3) Mappa has announced a lot of projects for the rest of this year or early next year, including an adaptation of the Shonen Jump smash hit "Chainsaw Man", a production that's also likely to be very demanding.

In summary, making anime is difficult. Making Attack on Titan is difficult even by anime standards. Mappa is making this season of Attack on Titan under more difficult conditions than usual.

Since Mappa has a bunch of other anime announced, it's unclear when they'll be able to work on the finale to Attack on Titan. However, Attack on Titan is successful enough that it's very likely that they'll get back to it, especially since they're on the production committee. (That is, they get a share of the profits when the show is a success, rather than just getting a flat payment for making the show at all.)

A lot may also depend on how the finale of the manga is received, but that gets even more complicated and might involve spoilers. Does that all make sense as far as it goes?

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 20, 2021

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Okay...gotcha.

I guess that was why people were complaining about cgi way upthread? Luckily, I don't notice it and the time jump made the change in style/animation appropriate to me so I haven't had any problems. But I guess that's one of the shortcuts they use?

But basically, show is hard under normal circumstances and 2020+ are already abnormal (:heysexy:) and the studio has a big workload so they are probably going to make a final final season but also everyone wants to wait and see how the manga finishes, which is apparently in a few weeks?

How does Netflix crank out animation so fast? Is it all cheap flash animation or something?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Okay...gotcha.

I guess that was why people were complaining about cgi way upthread? Luckily, I don't notice it and the time jump made the change in style/animation appropriate to me so I haven't had any problems. But I guess that's one of the shortcuts they use?

But basically, show is hard under normal circumstances and 2020+ are already abnormal (:heysexy:) and the studio has a big workload so they are probably going to make a final final season but also everyone wants to wait and see how the manga finishes, which is apparently in a few weeks?

How does Netflix crank out animation so fast? Is it all cheap flash animation or something?

Netflix either A)Drops the bag on a big studio B) contracts some unknown cheap studio C) Dogshit CG adaptation D) waits for the entire season to be done before releasing, freeing the studio from broadcast constraints like "First 3 eps are done and planning is done on the rest oh gently caress oh poo poo production issues, earthquake, we're up against the wall OH gently caress OH poo poo (see "shirobako" for an idea of the normal process a tv anime production goes through)"

I went to watch castlevania a year or two after everyone was hyping it up and woof there is some dogshit cuts hanging out in there.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

One reason I'm expecting at least one movie is that Demon Slayer had a canonical (IE part of the manga storyline rather than an original sidestory) movie last year that broke Japan's box office record. I imagine the production committee for AoT are looking at its worldwide numbers and wondering if they can replicate that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Eren tells Reiner "I'm just like you."
Then Reiner denies it: he tells Eren everyone else wanted to go home but he forced the others. Without Reiner, the attack never would have happened that day, perhaps not ever...
Eren tells Reiner again "I'm just like you."
We later learn that Eren came here, against the will of the others, perpetuating a brutal attack with massive collateral damage because he insisted against everyone else's wishes.

You are absolutely not supposed to be cheering this on in any way.

Objection! This is wrong! You honestly think if Reiner et al had packed it in and went back to Marley, that was the end of it? Hell no. They're all getting fed to warrior candidates who will try this again. Reiner says as much.

The attack was always going to happen. Reiner blames himself but what choice did he have? Go home and die? Along with his family who would also be punished?

That's why Eren says "I'm just like you." Eren isn't here out of choice. He's here because if he doesn't do this despicable thing now (like Reiner did), his friends and family are all wiped out.

Of course it turns out poor Reiner would have rather died than go through it, in the end.

Also at the time of that post we didn't know Eren orchestrated this all by himself, it looked like a group effort, so now looking back on it the attack looks much worse. But at the time I was whooping and hollering as Eren smashed those general fucks who sent Eldians to their deaths, and killed the Tyburs who just announced all out war against Paradis (a Paradis who had done nothing to them at that point, just been brutalized by Marley over and over). If they hadn't announced war would Eren even have attacked?

gently caress Marley

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

He absolutely did not grow up in a violent ghetto. The standard of living in Paradis, pre-RBA, is obviously much higher than in the rest of the world. If they could unwind the clock, I'm sure most of the Scouts would choose to live in isolated peace.

Ehh?

Paradis might not technically be ghetto on account of its size, but it is a single ethnicity walled community you can't leave without being killed. It's also a technologically impoverished nation only maintained by propaganda and the threat of secret police. The scouts are singularly made up by those who either reject the isolation or reject the peace.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I know people have a hard time with this, but the show is explicit that Eldians are not ethnically homogeneous and references are made to different ethnicities that used to exist before, and inside, the walls, when people still thought all of humanity existed inside.

The situation in Paradis, pre-RBA, is more akin to North Korea than Palestine or Warsaw. Now the internment camp in Liberio: that is a ghetto.

We get this knowledge first hand, from Grisha, who had basically given all of this up until the walls smashed in and he went to beg the True King for help. Only when the King refused to help did Grisha finally enact his plan to steal the founding Titan. He obviously preferred life inside the walls.

Alan_Shore posted:

Objection! This is wrong! You honestly think if Reiner et al had packed it in and went back to Marley, that was the end of it? Hell no. They're all getting fed to warrior candidates who will try this again. Reiner says as much.

The attack was always going to happen. Reiner blames himself but what choice did he have? Go home and die? Along with his family who would also be punished?

That's why Eren says "I'm just like you." Eren isn't here out of choice. He's here because if he doesn't do this despicable thing now (like Reiner did), his friends and family are all wiped out.

Of course it turns out poor Reiner would have rather died than go through it, in the end.

Again, I think this interpretation is ignoring the text itself.

The attack may have happened in the future, but it definitely would not have happened that day. Same with Eren. Part of the cycle of perpetual violence and loss is that people keep continuing it, not through need, but due to desire.

Eren is 100% there by choice. Not only that, he forced this choice upon his friends and nation, over their objections. Who knows what peace may have been possible before, but making an entire generation of new-Erens was definitely A Bad Thing.

Alan_Shore posted:

Also at the time of that post we didn't know Eren orchestrated this all by himself, it looked like a group effort, so now looking back on it the attack looks much worse. But at the time I was whooping and hollering as Eren smashed those general fucks who sent Eldians to their deaths, and killed the Tyburs who just announced all out war against Paradis (a Paradis who had done nothing to them at that point, just been brutalized by Marley over and over). If they hadn't announced war would Eren even have attacked?

gently caress Marley

Yeah, Eren would have attacked without the declaration. Also, if my interpretation of Marley/Eldia as a coup/Civil War is accurate, it makes the devastation even more terrible. Just to drive that point home, Eren’s surprise attack takes place inside an actual ghetto that houses people from his nationality. He is doing this to his own people. He got Sasha killed.

It’s not as simple as “Eren Smash Bad Marley,” he is killing his own people and innocents.

“What did my mom do to deserve to be eaten?”

Come on...don’t be a Gabi.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Marley sucks rear end and their leadership deserves the wall" and "starting a war between two superpowers with the in-setting equivalent of nukes is probably a bad idea for everyone" can both be true.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

How much of Tybur's declaration of war was orchestrated by Zeke in the first place? He's the one who brought up the idea of going back to Paradis to the Marleyan brass.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

mightygerm posted:

How much of Tybur's declaration of war was orchestrated by Zeke in the first place? He's the one who brought up the idea of going back to Paradis to the Marleyan brass.

It's implied Wily had already been working on it.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm curious to see if Zeke was involved with the Tybur's at all. So much we don't yet know and it rustles my jimmies in the best way

WHY DID THE DINA TITAN IGNORE BERDHOLT

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm curious to see if Zeke was involved with the Tybur's at all. So much we don't yet know and it rustles my jimmies in the best way

WHY DID THE DINA TITAN IGNORE BERDHOLT

Something about she was royal and said no matter what she'd find Grisha, so I guess his son is the next, best thing?

I imagine Zeke is working with Eren to destroy the Tyburs. The questions for me is whether the Grisha boys are truly working together, or eventually hoping to one-up the other.

Looking through the old thread and I am surprised by the accuracy of this :speculate:

As another non-reader, let me :speculate:

I'm thinking "last bastion of humanity" within the walls is actually a big scam set up for the 1% who use all of the people as chattle. The closer we get to the interior, the better tech we start to see. At the outer wall they were basically medieval. Inside Maria starts to look more like the 18th/19th century. The super rich probably set it all up as some kind of North Korean-style state, with everything flowing to Dear Leader and the Inner Party. Reiner, Bertoto, and Annie seem to be exiles from the outside (perhaps born there, or are they hundreds of years old like Ymir?), looking to break down the super rich's enclave and steal back titan powers. I'm guessing if they knew Eren was the ~coordinate~ they would have eaten him and dipped a long time ago.

Maybe Eren's dad stole it from the government and hid it in his son? It seems like titan powers are passed when a titan eats a human ala Ymir's comments, so Eren's dad may get shittiest parent ever award.

Mikasa's hot take means her and Kenny are related, I guess?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'M SO PUMPED FOR 2 EPISODES TONIGHT

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Alan_Shore posted:

I'M SO PUMPED FOR 2 EPISODES TONIGHT

:same::hf::emptyquote:

When does it go up on Hulu? This is my first time watching :airquote: live :airquote: this season... :ohdear:

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Ep 15:

This might be my favorite this season, just very well directed for a flashback. I think Zeke is my favorite character in this show.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Normally 2:45 Central time for me, though the app is showing 3:45 right now.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

:same::hf::emptyquote:

When does it go up on Hulu? This is my first time watching :airquote: live :airquote: this season... :ohdear:

Crunchyroll says in 2 hours time!

I'm even wearing my brand new AoT merch like a loser I MEAN winner

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07DMVRQFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sitting in front of the tv waiting for both episodes to appear in the queue. Come on CR.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Both are on Hulu “airs at 345 central”

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I could have sworn they were at 3:45 eastern... But now we're in EDT. Of course.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Double feature, double feature :dance:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Watching Zeke and his plans get poo poo on will never get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Ep. 15: Levi really should've seen that coming. Hopefully not RIP.