Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gumball Gumption posted:

lol it's not like this thread is in a vault. Everything from here is from videos that are not that hard to watch.

Yup, it's not like PWG asked Highspots to take those shows down. They are easily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Csfkhe3zc

Edit: we’re still doing the video thing right?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Sandman McMahon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Csfkhe3zc

Edit: we’re still doing the video thing right?

Always amazing.

---

Smackdown 9/2/04:

"619 is an American zip code. You are not an American. That makes you a liar. Liar liar pants on fire. That makes me mad because Kenzo Suzuki loves America. I have a big smile like Tom Cruise." - Kenzo Suzuki, who is doing a gimmick where it's supposed to be funny that he can barely speak English and that he claims to loves America while the announcers scoff due to his heeldom, to Rey Mysterio.

---

"Something fishy going on in the relationship between Renee Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki." - Michael Cole

"Something fishy going on? You mean like sushi fishy?" - Taz

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG The Next Show 9/04/04:

"Sneaking up on him in a very <Japanese with "anese" removed> move, you might say." - Excalibur

---

"The <plural 4 letter word for Jewish people>, not a particularly trustworthy people." - Excalibur

---

"They are two very polite men. It is in the nature of the Indian and Middle Eastern people to be very polite except when they are uh driving suicide bombs into schools and..." - Excalibur, who gets interrupted by Disco and spoken over at the end

"I believe they are apologizing as they go into..." -Disco, who also gets interrupted

"Like I'm sorry I don't mean to kill 17 people right now." - Excalibur

---

"They are a dirty thieving people." - Excalibur speaking on Filipinos

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 9/9/04:

"Hey Whoopi Goldberg, this ain't the sequel to Sister Act. I tag you with so much heat you'd think that I was Stevie Ray. You may think you're very happy, I know you're really gay. Oh and he loves the head games. I know what's going through his mind. Booker's a little too excited that I'm fighting from behind. I saw him backstage practicing that Spinaroonie. He didn't ask me to fight, he asked me for dinner and a movie. So I tell him yes as a joke and Booker started doing backflips. Booker's callin' me a sucka when he's the one with chapped lips." - John Cena

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW High Stakes 2 Afternoon Show 9/11/04:

"The only thing Puerto Ricans are good for is cock fights" - Robby Mireno

---

Mdogg 20 calls the crowd and members of it <r word for mentally challenged people>, gay, and <word for homosexual in which you remove sexual>.

---

"What's the first thing a black man does when he get successful. Goes and finds himself a white woman. Go get her Sabian." - Robby Mireno

"A white woman? Remember the last time they got their hands on a white girl around here? She ran so far back to New York City. She ran so far back to New York City she left track marks in the middle of the street. <..> I don't like it John. I don't like it at all. What kind of shenanigans are these two up to here?" - Eric G.

"See Sabian's got some cash so we got Sabian a new toy. Bring her up here." - Robby Mireno

"Oh you gotta be kidding me. What's she doing with them? She looks like a hostage." - Eric G, despite the woman they brought out looking really happy to be there

---

"Why don't you shut your mouth Mireno, you loving <f word for homosexual ending in "ot">?" - Nick Gage

---

"I'm going to kick the black right out of your asses. Who wants to see 4 black guys get the living poo poo kicked out of them tonight?" - Nate Hatred

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cavauro posted:

i had volume 4 only. This song on it is bigotry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3T3RpiIk8
I'll never understand American wrestling's continued fascination with butt rock. Like in the late 90s/early 00s, sure, because that was the thing at the time, and maybe it's because they share similar demographics, but it's still a motif that's stuck around long past its expiration date. Even Dynamite has a "bro rapyelling over chugga-chugga riffs" theme and the show's only a year and a half old.

Not to be confused with Jericho, who is officially dad rock.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I'll never understand American wrestling's continued fascination with butt rock. Like in the late 90s/early 00s, sure, because that was the thing at the time, and maybe it's because they share similar demographics, but it's still a motif that's stuck around long past its expiration date. Even Dynamite has a "bro rapyelling over chugga-chugga riffs" theme and the show's only a year and a half old.

Not to be confused with Jericho, who is officially dad rock.

It’s like chocolate and peanut butter. Some flavours just belong together.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Sandman McMahon posted:

I say the same thing about pineapple and pizza

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

collocation posted:

This is kind of embarrassing, but I started the first version of this thread with stuff from before PWG started and when I got to Excalibur I actually considered just stopping or not including PWG because I like Excalibur and I didn't realize the frequency of what happened. (I knew that he had dropped the n word twice and that he played a mentally challenged and/or physically handicapped character at one point, but I didn't know that he was like a 70's era comedian in a smoky hall for every show.) I told a friend of mine, someone who was addressed by more of his comments than I am, that I was thinking about doing so and they told me that I would by a hypocritical rear end in a top hat to do so. They were right, so I didn't.

I've never been able to find his apology, and I guess it was in some old shoot, but my understanding is that it didn't just address the really bad angles that came up recently, but addressed everything in a blanket way. Given that AEW had to have known about the bulk of this when they hired him, firing him would be somewhat craven. I enjoy him quite a bit, but as for whether it was a good idea to hire him, my take would depend on when he cut it out. If he was still doing it in like 2017, that's pretty fuckin' bad. If he stopped over a decade ago, everyone should be allowed to change, and the fact that he thought better of this stuff should be considered a positive thing.
I'm fairly sure he's apologized at least once, maybe more. (Maybe he addressed it on Wrestlesplania?) But he did shoot series for Highspots that he cohosted with Dan Barry so it's possible he addressed it there, too. But I absolutely remember hearing him address it somewhere in the way you'd expect (that he used to do a ridiculous amount of "ironic" bigotry on commentary, regretted it all, and couldn't believe how stupid he used to be).

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

ROH started kind of rough by having the first match they ever ran being something designed to get the crowd to chant a slur while big guys destroyed dudes doing a stereotypically gay gimmick, but out of the feds that I'm watching, post-RF ROH has lately done far less of this stuff than anyone else. Wrestlers have the freedom to occasionally say a lame word, but that's mostly been it for awhile.

ROH Glory By Honor III 9/11/04:

"It almost looks like a <r word ending in "ed" often used to describe mentally challenged people actually used to refer to a situation and not a specific singular person, in this instance> boxing match." - CM Punk

"I don't think that's politically correct, man." - Other announcer

---

Homicide calls someone in the crowd a <f word ending in ot>

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

davidbix posted:

I'm fairly sure he's apologized at least once, maybe more. (Maybe he addressed it on Wrestlesplania?) But he did shoot series for Highspots that he cohosted with Dan Barry so it's possible he addressed it there, too. But I absolutely remember hearing him address it somewhere in the way you'd expect (that he used to do a ridiculous amount of "ironic" bigotry on commentary, regretted it all, and couldn't believe how stupid he used to be).

He mentioned on Talk Is Jericho that he's embarrassed by his early PWG commentary and what he thought was funny back then.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

CombineThresher posted:

He mentioned on Talk Is Jericho that he's embarrassed by his early PWG commentary and what he thought was funny back then.
OK, that's most likely what I heard.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Smackdown 9/23/04:

Kenzo Suzuki walks up to Rey Mysterio and interrupts him while he is speaking Spanish to Spike Dudley to threaten him by telling him that he will be sorry if he doesn't start speaking English.

This angle, in which they have the Japanese guy who the announcers swear secretly hates America act xenophobically pro-American, is just weird Vince brain poo poo. It's relatively lowkey as far as Vince brain poo poo goes, but it's something that I would have a pretty hard time trying to explain to a non-fan.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Sandman McMahon posted:

Wrestling and hip-hop go together so much better, though.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

El Generico posted:

Wrestling and hip-hop go together so much better, though.

Wrestling and hip-hop is great. I also always thought that wrestling and punk, or the more aggressive but not entirely hardcore parts of it, could go together. But, outside of a few theme songs, and CM Punk's name when he was cool, it never really came together.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

🎵 I'm blue
Yeah I'm a blue Shrek, guy
Step a foot in my swamp
And you're gonna die 🎵
It's poo poo like this that makes me wonder what the hell Peacock is going to do when they start hosting the Network. They've already gone and removed entire episodes of television shows like anytime 30 Rock used blackface, how could they possibly justify keeping the DX/Nation skit?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me wonder what the hell Peacock is going to do when they start hosting the Network. They've already gone and removed entire episodes of television shows like anytime 30 Rock used blackface, how could they possibly justify keeping the DX/Nation skit?

I'd imagine there will be an unskippable disclaimer before the episodes. Going through every episode of the shows to pick out the bad ones would be a herculean task at this point.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

DJExile posted:

I'd imagine there will be an unskippable disclaimer before the episodes. Going through every episode of the shows to pick out the bad ones would be a herculean task at this point.

They would probably be better off just putting a disclaimer on the section in the years where WWE was still doing messed up poo poo, so like <checks notes> anything up to Crews on the last Smackdown in 2021.

Aside from being too much work, if they did it episode by episode, it would also be awkwardly subjective, if they weren't given a very specific list of words or something. Some people who saw them do it for one thing would be mad that it wasn't done for another, people who were mad that they were doing it at all would be annoyed by every edge case they saw as reaching, by highlighting some things as problematic, people would act like they were saying other things were ok, and so on. (Oh wait, that's this thread. j/k)

---

Smackdown 10/07/04:

"I wonder if Cena has the right stuff under those boxers. Dude, you're sick, man, you sick<unintelligible>" - John Cena imitating the alleged thoughts of Michael Cole

---

"Are you gonna bite that apple? You ain't gonna spit, I'm gonna make you swallow." - Cena says after imitating Carlito's accent

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

random big ol tree encountered while rewatching the big trees starring kirk douglas

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

CZW Breaking Point Let the Kaos Begin 10/09/04:

After Justice Pain interfered in his match against Chris Hero, Homicide called Hero and Claudio <the plural f word ending in "ts" for homosexuals> "like Justice Pain". Homicide then said that Justice Pain likes to suck <the usually unoffensive d word for usually male genitalia>, prompting the crowd to chant that Pain sucks the aforementioned body part. He then called Justice Pain a <the same d word mentioned above> sucking <f word ending in ot for homosexual>, to which Justice Pain retorted that the bobbing head movements that Homicide made sure seemed odd for someone calling other people <d word> sucking <plural f word for homosexual ending in ot>. The crowd was still not over chanting this and continued during the Roderick Strong vs Jay Lethal match afterwards, so Strong simulated the action initially described by Homicide with his hand and cheek like Shawn Michaels that one time, while facing the crowd, which seemed to shut them up, at least until the next match.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

PWG Use You Illusion III 10/09/04

Scott Lost says that J**y R**n is a <3 word letter for homosexual beginning in f> and then tells a fan who boos that his orientation is none of Lost's business

---

"The only thing I've noticed is that when you give a Mexican money it always attracts other Mexicans" - Disco

"That's very true. When they find <...>" - Excalibur before interrupting himself to call the action.

---

UK Kid calls someone in the crowd a <r word used for mentally challenged people ending in d> and then later calls the crowd, in general, <r word used to describe mentally challenged people ending in "ed">.

---

"Not only is he gay, he's from the south, and I can't imagine two worst strikes against you. <...> Maybe if you were Mexican <unintelligible> and a <word for Jewish people that removes the "ish">" - Excalibur talking about, I believe, Clay Aiken

---

Excalibur and Disco collaborate on a joke about how Tony Stradlin lost his marbles due to a kick, then a fictional <r word ending in "ed" for mentally challenged people> picked them up and no longer has that condition, but then they went back to having that condition afterwards.

---

"Scott Lost, y'know, with his yellow streak, not that he's Asian and <the aforementioned color>, but that he's a coward and he's yellow" - Excalibur

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

IMPACT 10/22/04:

"Here you <6 letter word starting with m for a type of primate> looking <3 letter word starting with a for a type of primate> and I throw the Banana" - Piper describing the Piper's Pit with Snuka with TNA putting a picture of a giant ape on screen every time he narrates from the perspective of Snuka.

I mostly only editorialize minimally, if at all, when posting stuff like this because these things generally are what they are, but this was really loving weird. Piper saying hosed up stuff when recounting the story of an old legendary hosed up skit wasn't surprising at all, especially given the poo poo Piper was saying in his early WWE career in shows that I watched a few years ago while feuding with Mr T. Yet, TNA opting to edit in a picture of an ape of some sort at points when Snuka's actions were being described seemed out of place, even by 2004 wrestling standards. They had just got on what I understand to be a national station. I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking. As people often say, wrestling has been lucky that no one with power gives a poo poo about it.

---

PWG Use Your Illusion IV 10/23/04:

This PWG was somewhat atypical, in that Excalibur didn't call the first 2/3rds of the card, so you had more instances of people saying raunchy or off things on his behalf than you had of him actually saying weird things.

---

"You look like a UK <f word for homosexual for homosexual ending in ot>" - Commissioner Paul T

"Listen here <7 letter word starting with SL and ending with D for eye shape> eyed <unintelligible> I'll admit that I'm not American. Yes this isn't my country. But it's more my country than it is yours, you drat fool." -UK Kid

"I might not be an Aryan<or American, but it sounded more like Aryan>, but I know what these <unintelligible> PWG fans like <unintelligible> they'd like to see nothing more than an English <f word for homosexual for homosexual ending in ot>..." - Paul T

---

"Much to mock the <plural word for Jewish people that removes the ish and adds an s at the end> uh Excalibur has the Star of David, and it's not because he's Jewish or anything, it's just because he's mocking people." - Disco Machine

---

"Paul T is our statistician. As most people know, good with an abacus. You know uh, is that a stereotype? Would that be Chinese or Japanese?" - Disco Machine

---

"You know what I'm talking about, <Three letter f word for homosexual> <...> That <6 letter f word for homosexual> knows it. He sucks <an alternate word for an adult male chicken> - Chris Bosh to an Asian audience member who is jokingly held back by his GF from hitting the ring

"It's not Enter The Dragon today. Sit down." - Scott Lost

<...>

"That's right. He's the only <6 letter word for homosexual starting with f> in the building - Bosh, again referring to that guy in the audience

---

"And both filthy foreigners, and I will say this in memory of Excalibur who gave me carte blanche to use any of his racial epithets" - Disco Machine, referring to El Santo and Iron Shiek

---

Excalibur says that Jigsaw's is affectionately known as <gay used as a prefix for face> due to how he looks without a mask. He says that nickname well over a half dozen times, and says he would never even call J**y R**n that, despite the fact that he says quite a few negative things about him. Disco also says that you can't see his <the term described above> under there, but that he has to be in pain.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

This thread was originally just about 2004, but someone edited the title to take out the year (which I appreciate because, in retrospect, having a new one for every year seems excessive). So, while I will continue to update the sequential 2004-x stuff when I watch it, I recently downloaded the last batch of SN put up on the network, and that now is within the scope of the thread/title.

WCW Saturday Night - Fall 1993:

On many of these episodes, which have just been uploaded to Peacock and the WWE Network, WCW has had Chris Champion dress up as a Chinese man named Yoshi Kwan. In addition, on at least two of these occasions, the person doing the breakdown for what is on the upcoming show has referred to Kwan as an "evil <the word Edward Said called his book, Orientalism, but with the suffix removed>".

collocation fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 21, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

collocation posted:

"evil <the word that people say describes Asian food not Asian people to discourage people from using it to describe people, which is the same word Edward Said called his book, Orientalism, but with the suffix removed>".

This is getting ridiculous.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

This is getting ridiculous.

I'm going to be upfront and not defensive, though it may sound anal because I'm being so specific and probably excessively lengthy:

I want to error on the side of caution when deciding whether or not to just say a word. Sometimes that can look stupid, but I would rather look stupid than say something that shouldn't be said. In addition, there have been times where I thought that I was clear in which some people have said that I was not. That can lead me to give more information than may be necessary, which can also look stupid. I would rather look stupid in that way than not be clear. In this case, as Said's book is considered a foundational text that no one has a problem referencing, it seemed like an acceptable middle ground way of making myself clear.

I do agree with you that these things can sometimes look ridiculous (or stupid, in my words). If you or anyone have any critical advice, beyond just saying skip the thread, I would actually be willing to take it into account and possibly implement it, since it's not as if I enjoy looking like a giant dork.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t have a better suggestion, but the one I quoted comes across like you’re bordering on parody which is obviously not great given the subject matter you’re dealing with.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t have a better suggestion, but the one I quoted comes across like you’re bordering on parody which is obviously not great given the subject matter you’re dealing with.

Thanks for giving your take. You're right. There are times when I come up with an idea that might be really clear, but is also amusing or parodic sounding, and I skip those in order to avoid that impression, so I do try to at least be aware of that possibility, even if I sometimes flub it.

Having two descriptions is redundant also, which can seem goofy in its own way. So, I deleted one of them. In this case, I've opted to take out the part about food/people. That quote is nearly verbatim what a friend yelled in another friends' face angrily around the same time that these WCW shows aired the last time that I ever heard them use the word in that context, and it got across the point really well to them, me, and the 50 other people in earshot. However, while it came up as a way that people explain why someone shouldn't use the word to describe people in some searches that I did before using it here (that and rugs), most people haven't been in that situation and it's possibly not very universal. And, the Said bit seemed drier, which is probably a better tone.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
we know what slurs are and comprehend context, I promise no one needs a road map explainer for every word that’s longer than the quote

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know what any of the words are still even after they are explained. but I think that's good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

collocation posted:

WCW Saturday Night - Fall 1993:

On many of these episodes, which have just been uploaded to Peacock and the WWE Network, WCW has had Chris Champion dress up as a Chinese man named Yoshi Kwan. In addition, on at least two of these occasions, the person doing the breakdown for what is on the upcoming show has referred to Kwan as an "evil <the word Edward Said called his book, Orientalism, but with the suffix removed>".

WCW creative: "Check it out, I just saw this movie from like 8 years ago called Remo Williams and it never got a sequel."

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Would anyone who genuinely cares be vehemently bothered if I put *s through the middle of the words that I put in <> and then put those mostly covered up words within spoiler text? Is that against any formal or informal rules?

This would be more simple and would probably be more clear. The descriptions of words are often really lame. I would like to do something else.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Ask yourself, if you were the reader, how would you be comfortable seeing slurs recorded?
I don't think anyone is reading this thread expecting gentle instances of bigotry.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Dr. Baker posted:

Ask yourself, if you were the reader, how would you be comfortable seeing slurs recorded?
I don't think anyone is reading this thread expecting gentle instances of bigotry.

Thanks. You're right about what people likely expect.

If I was reading a serious non-fiction book or article in which someone was quoted as using a slur against a group that I belong to, I would prefer to just have it out there, so that there is a permanent or semi-permanent record of exactly what was said. However, I'm aware that that is not acceptable in all places, and that this is likely one of those places. When somewhere like a newspaper uses *s because their usage preferences don't allow for certain words, I don't feel condescended to or that the article lacks seriousness, which are two things that I would like to avoid here also.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
My advice is to stop doing the thing people are complaining about and use the *s. We all know these aren't your words. A lot of the PWG commentary is offensive without the use of slurs anyway.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Seconding the use of *s. If you're worried about what the mods will think just look at what the NASCAR thread is called in the main forum.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

sticklefifer posted:

WCW creative: "Check it out, I just saw this movie from like 8 years ago called Remo Williams and it never got a sequel."

That make up in Remo Williams was nominated for an Academy Award :psyduck:

Also, a couple of years later they did a pilot for a Remo Williams TV series, where they did the prosetics on Roddy McDowell. :psyduck: :psyduck:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Also, a couple of years later they did a pilot for a Remo Williams TV series, where they did the prosetics on Roddy McDowell. :psyduck: :psyduck:

Off topic but what the actual gently caress?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Raw 11/01/04

I have reached the debut of the Muhammad Hassan vignettes. I'm not sure how much of this will be worth posting about since it has already been covered so much. Hassan actually sounds quite reasonable in his debut vignette, but they had Daivari talk angrily in Farsi to give a negative vibe. I was mostly out of the habit of watching by this point because I was working 60-90 hour work weeks, but I was still paying some attention to the discourse, and I remember more liberal members of the IWC hoping that WWE was going to treat this storyline with nuance and not make him a straight up heel. In general, if someone who isn't white complains about racism in WWE, that has always been a tell that they are going to be a heel, so those hopes were obviously in vain.

In the first vignette, the main thing that people from 2021 would likely object to is having an Italian play the character. I haven't seen him wrestle much, but the guy playing him, Marc Copani, was definitely a talented promo. It's a shame that WWE entirely ruined his chance at having a career in the business.

If there is actually anyone who both hasn't seen these vignettes and wants to see them, I think that all of them are here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CZYzWD7u0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
In all fairness, it probably turned out for the best for him that he got out of the business.

Also, the "I am evil foreign man now I will talk evil foreign language, for I am evil and foreign and therefore doubly evil" really is a trope that needs to gently caress off already.