Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
1st Challenge - Winner: Ric
2nd Challenge - Winner: Too Many Birds
3rd Challenge - Winner: bellows lugosi
4th Challenge - Winner: Fools Infinite
5th Challenge - Winner: bobmarleysghost
6th Challenge - Winner: Megabound
7th Challenge - Winner: Fools Infinite
8th Challenge - Winner:

------

Welcome! Surely you've seen pictures of other goons here in the Dorkroom and thought to yourself "yeah, that's pretty nice, but it really could've used a couple thousand sieverts of HDR toning to make it pop". Well, in this thread you'll be able to compete with your peers in a contest to determine who can best edit and process a particular photograph.

Here are the rules:

1. Be chill. As the OP, you allow others to follow their imagination WRT your picture. As the editors, you're altering someone else's creation.
2. Any kind of editing goes as long as you only use the image in competition for content. If you think it'll end up good/fun/entertaining then crop, grade, clone, transform away!
2. Discussion is permitted. Feel free to comment others' submissions and/or your own.
3. One submission/poster. You can change your submission as many times as you want, so long as you only have one entry when the voting begins! Edit your post to do this, please.
4. Contest is open for a week, after which voting will begin. Some leeway will be given due to timezone differences.
5. When voting, please use the spoiler tag.
6. In the event of a tie the OP of the photo selects the winner.
7. The winner gets to choose one of their own images for the next challenge.

8. This isn't really a rule, more of a recommendation. When submitting a photo for the contest, don't go necessarily for one of your best shots. Try to find one that could lend itself to multiple interpretations. It doesn't have to be too abstract, just something with enough room (figuratively... and maybe literally?) for people to mess around with. Maybe a photo you yourself had doubts at the time of shooting or later on at the computer as to how best compose it.

I'll get things started with this image taken in 2017 at a Red Bull 4x4 race. It was a fun day and I took a surprising number of pictures that I'm very happy with, considering my lack of experience with motorized sports photography. I can't explain why most of them are overexposed, though. Thankfully, my trusty A700 had very good dynamic range for its age.

I remember at the time not being sure what to do with this one, with the poles and the second truck on the left and the flying dirt on the right. This is actually not the original finalized image I ended up with at the time, but one made later on (I go through the archives from time to time). Looking back, I can't tell if I actually prefer this one to the first edit, though!

The RAW file can be found here: removed

I look forward to your entries!

seravid fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Nice.

Thoughts while: definitely exposed higher than I would have expected. It's my first time editing a Sony file, so it was interesting to see how it handled. I felt the highlights were recovered well. I cropped closer to the action, and tried to show a bit more of the greens in the grass by moving the yellow tones and decreasing their luminance a bit. I also increased the saturation and decreased the luminance of the blues. I generally don't use the texture slider but this was crying out for a little bit of it. Also dropped the exposure a bit in the foreground with a linear gradient.

It's a good shot and was fun to edit.

Health Services fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 9, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Was all a bit too saturated and HDR-y for me. Wanted to tone it down:

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 11, 2021

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Health Services posted:

Thoughts while: definitely exposed higher than I would have expected.

Most of the photos from that day are like that :shrug:

The gradient to balance the foreground was a good idea!

Megabound posted:

Was all a bit too saturated and HDR-y for me. Wanted to tone it down:

Yeah, I wanted a Mad Max vibe, but I may have overcooked it. No such issues with yours!

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
I wasn't getting anything different with the color edits so I gave B&W a go:

Sleepytime fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 13, 2021

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Colour balanced, brought highlights and exposure down just enough to stop clipping anywhere distracting, very slight rotation and skew, cloned the distracting pylon cable spacer. Should click through for full size.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Cropped, hit some buttons, moved some sliders, did some gradients.

tk fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 17, 2021

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

http://----/, all i did so far was b/w points out of the scan, nothing else done. here's my take on it:

a bit of white balance, sharpening (not as visible at this res but imo, necessary), and some contrast in the shadows.

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 17, 2021

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

bellows lugosi posted:

here's one, all i did so far was b/w points out of the scan, nothing else done. here's my take on it:

Oh, sorry but it's one photo per week, to keep things organized and give everyone time to participate. Whoever wins the contest this week gets to pick one of their own images for us to process.

Yours would be a great entry for this thread, though!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

seravid posted:

Oh, sorry but it's one photo per week, to keep things organized and give everyone time to participate. Whoever wins the contest this week gets to pick one of their own images for us to process.

Yours would be a great entry for this thread, though!

oh i'm a dumbass and missed the contest aspect in the rules. actually it's not great and i'd have a more challenging one next time if it came to that

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I don't know, looks like a good fit for rule 8 to me. Anyway, you're welcome to enter the contest. It officially closes on the 16th, but with some wiggle room to account for time zones.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

bellows lugosi posted:

all i did so far was b/w points out of the scan

At risk of making GBS threads up the thread, I'm going to talk about this.

The shadows on the tree branches look crushed. Is there any more detail in the scan before you set the black point? I actually quite like the effect in contrast to the adjacent shadowed snow.

There's also magenta (lower left) and blue (particularly upper right) fringing on some of the branches. Magenta is easy enough to sort out, but I struggle with blue. If anyone has a process for removing this, I'd be keen to hear it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ric posted:

There's also magenta (lower left) and blue (particularly upper right) fringing on some of the branches. Magenta is easy enough to sort out, but I struggle with blue. If anyone has a process for removing this, I'd be keen to hear it.

What I would do in this case is lasso the general area, then target the precise shade of blue of the fringe with the Hue/Saturation tool to desaturate it. The sky shouldn't be affected, but if it is I'd give it a little vibrance. Now that the blue fringe is light gray, I'd color range select those areas - still within the lasso-ed selection - and curve/level them as needed for a more natural look.

Quick and dirty:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

In other news, the contest is now closed. Thanks to all the participants!

Here are the entries:

Voting ends... at the end of the week? Yeah, let's go with that.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

voting .... Ric ... but wish there was a middle ground between that and Megabound

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I gotta go with ~~~**Ric**~~~

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Voting for ~~~tk~~~

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
----ric----

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
ric

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Megabound, for the muted yin to my yang

seravid posted:

What I would do in this case is lasso the general area, then target the precise shade of blue of the fringe with the Hue/Saturation tool to desaturate it. The sky shouldn't be affected, but if it is I'd give it a little vibrance. Now that the blue fringe is light gray, I'd color range select those areas - still within the lasso-ed selection - and curve/level them as needed for a more natural look.

Quick and dirty:

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Hadn't thought of applying to very small selections like that!

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Voting for Megabound

Coming up on the last day of voting, folks. The winner will be declared tomorrow.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Alright, this week's challenge is officially over. Congratulations, Ric!

I'm surprised by the restraint demonstrated by all regarding composition. I would've guessed someone would try to square it up or do a tight crop, making the yellow truck occupy most of the frame. Was there no interest in such a composition or was it due to a lack of pixels? 12MP isn't much. Maybe a third reason??

Feel free to continue the discussion while I ask Ric to post a new RAW file for the next challenge. We'll keep a single thread for now, I'll edit the OP and link to the new image once it's posted.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I liked the scene as is, and actually would have preferred it was shot wider than it is, which is why I didn't crop heavily. I just balanced out the right to give the car a bit more room to move into the left.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Megabound posted:

I liked the scene as is, and actually would have preferred it was shot wider than it is, which is why I didn't crop heavily. I just balanced out the right to give the car a bit more room to move into the left.

Yes, that's my preferred choice, too. Well, obviously!

Interesting note about the wider shot. I remember, at the time, wanting to grab every detail: the drivers, the tires, the dirt and smoke, which is why most of my photos from that day are close-ish (as can be seen in the sports thread), without much attention to the big picture. That's actually a lesson I learned from that day, which I applied to the following racing events I went to.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Glad to hear! I'll choose an image in the next few days. Will post a dng, as I use the original files to prove ownership.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

But then how will I make money when I exhibit your work at a gallery run by my parents?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

You'll struggle. Appropriation art is all about big adventure holiday photos and sex tape nfts now.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ric posted:

You'll struggle. Appropriation art is all about big adventure holiday photos and sex tape nfts now.

Ah, I'm safe then!

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Try this one. The main lightsource is monochromatic and clipping. I'll be interested to see what people produce from it.

This file is provided solely for people to edit as part of this challenge, and is not to be used for other purposes. I legally pursue all breaches of copyright. (A warning primarily for lurkers; I don't expect anyone here would be so disreputable.)

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

Too Many Birds fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 24, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

Soiled Meat
Fun one to play around with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I like the edit above. It has a feel of uncertainty, a little unease. I feel like i should be careful walking around the area.

This is my edit

ape
Jul 20, 2009

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Interesting photo, Ric!

My take on it:

This is an oddly familiar but foreign object, something that does not belong there. It's too bright, too colorful. A train made out of wood and metallic sheets and strange lights, barrelling through the wilderness. While the "train" itself is not moving, its bright nose resembles a space vehicle on reentry; the blue and silver streaks give it a comic-book kind of momentum; and the blurry foliage is being disturbed by its roaring speed and definitely not by a long exposition in windy conditions.

The editing was made to emphasize the narrative. A 16:9 ratio accentuates the size of the train and keeps a narrow and incomplete vision of the scene, with a heavy crop on the left side to hide the total length of the train. The large vertical division on the extreme left was kept to make it appear as a carriage peaking from out of frame behind the locomotive. How long is this thing? The crop also preserves a consistent slope. Who knows how high this hill goes.

Then I tried to keep as best as possible a very bright gradient, from the burning hot white-ish yellow nose to the cooler back. Most of the image is kept purposefully soft and slightly hazy, with the exception of the nose. Finally, it was mirrored because I assume most people here will read the photo left to right.

seravid fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 25, 2021

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Glad to see so many entries, universal in their comment that my original file is far too bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Really nice photo choice Ric, lots of room for interpretation.

I ended up here for now.