Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s no way we could have seen that one coming, everyone said sarcastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
To bring these two threads of the conversation together: Middleditch also has a bland sitcom right now, and it's so very nothingy.

I expect to see more of those this year. Low risk, relatively cheap to make, no location work so covid precautions are easier

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not sure how anyone could've read that Middleditch interview from last year (?) and not already be ready to never watch any of his stuff again. This is just additional justification.

EricBauman posted:

I expect to see more of those this year. Low risk, relatively cheap to make, no location work so covid precautions are easier

I wish they'd use this as an opportunity to create low-budget high-concept shows. Single-set sitcoms could be really interesting. Like, what about a sitcom set in a bomb shelter after the apocalypse or something?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

feedmyleg posted:

Not sure how anyone could've read that Middleditch interview from last year (?) and not already be ready to never watch any of his stuff again. This is just additional justification.

quote:

Q13: You’ve said that you first had the experience of fans wanting to sleep with you as a Second City improv performer on cruise ships. Has that sort of attention increased?

MIDDLEDITCH: Personally, that’s one of the trickier elements of it all, because Mollie doesn’t get that and yet she has to witness it. I’m like, “Come on, what about this chick who’s obviously really into me?” And Mollie will say, “Yeah, she’s into you. Where do I fit in?” That question comes up. There’s a lot of negotiation, and adding fame sometimes makes it easier and sometimes complicates things.

wow i can't believe they split up last year

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine the sociopathy it takes to ask your wife if you can cheat on her now that you’re famous and try to frame it as both of you having an open relationship

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EricBauman posted:

To bring these two threads of the conversation together: Middleditch also has a bland sitcom right now, and it's so very nothingy.

All I can say is, the female lead needs to play Britney in something (in a Pro-Britney thing I’d hope).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

abelwingnut posted:

what in the unholy gently caress is that?

WHO WATCHES THESE SHOWS?!?!

SERIOUSLY

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I finally got my dad setup with internet and a roku TV so he has something to do besides shovel snow all day. He's never been a big television watcher, so he mostly just watches Maddow, but he recently got into The Mandolorian and made his way through that fairly quickly.

Then about two weeks ago I connected him to our Hulu account and kind of on a whim set him up to watch Lost. I wasn't sure if he'd like it so I told him he had to watch at least the first two episodes to give it a real chance. I talked to him the other day and asked him about it, he bursts out laughing and says he's just starting season 4. He said he's never experienced anything like it and thinks it's the greatest show ever. He's a 75 year old black guy who grew up on a farm and flew airplanes, so he never really had the time to watch television before this so I guess serial dramas are like crack or something if don't know how they work.

Anyway, I'm actually pretty happy he's enjoying his time these days so does anyone have any good serial drama recommendations, "Lost-like" or otherwise, for someone who's basically never experienced Peak TV?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Twin Peaks, Sopranos, Mad Men, True Detective

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why leave the Damon Lindelof train when he can watch The Leftovers and Watchmen?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Why leave the Damon Lindelof train when he can watch The Leftovers and Watchmen?

I need to watch both of those again. So good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Klowner posted:

Twin Peaks, Sopranos, Mad Men, True Detective

These, but also if he likes the weirder aspects of Lost then there’s always The X-Files and Fringe. The former is kinda light on serialization half the time, but it’s still one of the best shows of the last thirty years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean I don't really care about Middleditch either way, he was funny on some podcasts but I've never really watched anything with him and enjoyed it. But this would be very disappointing.

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373740682536394754

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373839924621762561

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That would be disappointing about Kumail Nanjiani. Though between everyone else on Silicon Valley, and him being friends with Devin Faraci, at the very least he's surrounded himself with a lot of red flags.

Though much like with Renner and Endgame, I'm sure Disney will make sure nothing comes out about him until after Eternals is safely out of the box office.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

X-O posted:

I mean I don't really care about Middleditch either way, he was funny on some podcasts but I've never really watched anything with him and enjoyed it. But this would be very disappointing.

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373740682536394754

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373839924621762561

God I love Wetterlund.

(Who's currently starring in Resident Alien, a show people should watch a lot.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chairman Capone posted:

That would be disappointing about Kumail Nanjiani. Though between everyone else on Silicon Valley, and him being friends with Devin Faraci, at the very least he's surrounded himself with a lot of red flags.

Though much like with Renner and Endgame, I'm sure Disney will make sure nothing comes out about him until after Eternals is safely out of the box office.

There's been nothing on Renner since the voice-mail leaked and he's still starring in the D+ show. He's very active on social media as well so I guess none of it stuck?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Open Source Idiom posted:

God I love Wetterlund.

(Who's currently starring in Resident Alien, a show people should watch a lot.)

Resident Alien has been amazing. They've also done an excellent job of gradually revealing Harry's past and his mission without just dumping exposition onto the audience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think you need to have deep issues to be a successful standup comic. You need to be a masochist to put yourself out there like that and share your pain. Maybe Kumail killed a puppy or something and isn't yet another sexual predator.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Line of Duty is back CHIStches ! With Kelly MacDonald as Keeley Hawes as the troubled, maybe bent copper who may not be bent but sure is acting suspiciously but so is everyone else so it's hard to say.

Kate is probably a triple undercover for AC-144 who investigates corruption in anti corruption squads

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Pretty much every famous person is incapable of resisting the temptation to use their fame to indulge their worst desires.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There are a metric fuckton of famous people, either that's not true or their worst desires are fairly tame.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Kumail is a gamer. That's enough to drat him right there!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

There are a metric fuckton of famous people, either that's not true or their worst desires are fairly tame.

Do you have so little faith in humanity, that you think more than a small percentage of them have extremely dark desires that they're willing to act on? That's kinda messed up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Simone Magus posted:

Do you have so little faith in humanity, that you think more than a small percentage of them have extremely dark desires that they're willing to act on? That's kinda messed up.

I mean.....

*looks around at last few years*

.....don't know that I'd take that bet if I were you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Simone Magus posted:

Can we get some clarification on what counts as a small percentage for this?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Do you really not? Even William "Heartwarming" Macy is embroiled in scandal.

Fame makes people lose sight of what is normal, acceptable, and ethical because society is always reinforcing they they are special, that they are better than other people, and that the rules do not apply to them. I'm always shocked when someone famous turns out to be by all accounts a genuinely good person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There was a Texas Monthly article this week about Selena, in it there's this part about how she never did anything cancelable, but if she hadn't been killed she surely would've and her fans have to reckon with that.

https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/1373304356729159685

And we're imagining that she said the n-word, or turned out to be a terf or something. People really should stop developing parasocial relationships with celebritites

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1374028103224233984

lol c'mon now

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 22, 2021

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that’s the thing, I don’t know that there is anything specific implied with that Kumail tweet, just maybe stop pinning a lot of hopes and assumptions onto people you will never know outside of brief instances of media.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I think she's definitely implying something with that tweet, not just giving blanket "don't meet your heroes" advice.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh I think she's definitely implying something with that tweet, not just giving blanket "don't meet your heroes" advice.

more than implying:

https://twitter.com/alicewetterlund/status/1373870441039757313

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I thought 'Kumail is a huge shithead behind the scenes' was fairly well known? Like I haven't heard if there's proper allegations of sex poo poo and all but yea I've heard plenty of 'ugh that guy sucks to work with' type things

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
gently caress me this looks good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvWgNSLIULw

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The spamming of comments for Synder is making me not even want to watch JL as a curiosity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like 3 episodes of Black Mirror mashed together and I'm kind of liking it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

bull3964 posted:

The spamming of comments for Synder is making me not even want to watch JL as a curiosity.

I had to lol when I saw that the top active threads in CD were the Snyderdome, the ZSJL thread, and the comic movie thread that was talking about ZSJL.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

bull3964 posted:

Did you see the original? If so you can drop two hours off the new one by skipping to Superman showing up

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

cristin milioti? yes, please & thank you

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

It's really bad

The Flash is the only really good thing, I can't wait to see how they gently caress up his movie

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

So how did this latest season of American Gods land? I've had a Starz subscription this whole time, but haven't been able to muster up the motivation to watch it after the wet fart that was last season finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean I've enjoyed it but it's meandered around quite a bit. Do you want to see a small town murder mystery in northern Wisconsin?