Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

nice,

i like putting myself out there on the repeaters and it tends to bring out some people i suspect dont tx a lot. i like it.

i read something here locally where some guys went mountain topping and tried getting the longest DMR simplex contact and ended up running into a problem not with the signal strength. but the distance/latency between the two radios was so great it was breaking underlying assumptions made in the protocol itself

https://nedecn.org/talk-groups/dmr-simplex/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And I went to check my winlink mail and the FT-450d screen goes blank when it transmits and it's barely putting out 20 watts before shutting down. This is what I get for talking about it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That’s weird. I know some folk on SOTA did some tests vs analogue FM and got some nice distances and I don’t recall them mentioning that issue.

https://reflector.sota.org.uk/t/analog-vs-digital-fm-dmr-tests-on-17-june-2018/17880

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Of my HTs the Alinco DJ-G29T frustrates me the most. Bought it for the 220/900 bands, but when I do use it I spend more time relearning to use it. It’s like they took the Yaesu menu idea and decided to make it worse with sub menus. I mainly keep it on the local 220 repeater, but have made some 900 contacts when traveling out west.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Motronic posted:

And I went to check my winlink mail and the FT-450d screen goes blank when it transmits and it's barely putting out 20 watts before shutting down. This is what I get for talking about it.

I think I sent you a winlink a while ago. I’m not sure if it ever went out.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

yo thanks for this. glad to see other people’s experiments with this. ive seen analog fm done a million times but DMR is still newish.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
The DMR distance limit is only for repeater access, simplex won't have any limit.

This is since the TDMA timing has to account for a certain delay between the repeater and each node by inserting guard-times between the time slots.
E.g. if there's a 1 ms time of flight, then the user terminal will begin its time slot 1 ms later than it should, and from the repeaters reference frame it will start transmitting 2 ms later than it should, and continue transmitting 2 ms after it should have stopped.
Adding a guard-period between time slots means you won't get interference between the two time slots when there's significant delay.
Making this guard time long means wasted bandwidth so you want to make it as small as you can when designing the system.

The link above is technically incorrect about the simplex mode using both time slots. Tier 2+ radios in simplex only use one time slot (i.e. they transmit with a 50% duty cycle), but the concept of time slots is meaningless in simplex. IIRC it doesn't matter what time slot you tell the radio to transmit/receive on in simplex.
Slightly related: Tier 1 (i.e. dPMR(446)) license free radios are simplex only and don't have time slots at all, IIRC they use 6.25 kHz channels instead of 12.5 kHz as well.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does it actually look like DMR will be the standard that will be most popular with hams in a few years? My understanding is that in ham land it is still a marketing and userbase fight between D-Star, DMR, and yaesu fusion.

Does DMR being the clear winner in the commercial space mean that it’s likely to spill over into the ham world?

I’m also curious how the AMBE that all FM digital modes seem to use has aged, and if anybody has compared it to Codec2 at max bitrate, or even Opus at 6kbps?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Does it actually look like DMR will be the standard that will be most popular with hams in a few years?
All I know is that 99% of all the traffic I pick up in UHF is DMR and I hate it. How am I supposed to listen in on everyone's conversations if I have to fire up the DMR decoder all the time and it is always so choppy if it decodes at all!

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 23, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
DMR has won in the US, yeah. i don't see any d-star coming from behind, and its been a year and a half since yaesu's gambit to subsidize Fusion and it never took off.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Scotland has a multi-standard bridge network going on, it’s pretty cool: https://www.dmrscotland.co.uk/scot-multi/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

In more “having a good day” news I’ve turned a hodge-podge Kenwood data cable that I made on stripboard - designed originally by K0RX - into a nice PCB and I’m gonna get a box printed for it.

The original at some middle-stage of development: https://ibb.co/QbZh14M
Video of it sending (receiving is easy): https://youtu.be/F-CX8skHKwI
https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1350836714206605313?s=21
https://twitter.com/markpentler/status/1364245556856553472?s=21

Everyone learn how to make PCBs, it rocks. Just the idea that I’ll get 5 boards for like a tenner and they’ll all probably just work and I don’t have to gently caress about with fiddly wires makes me feel so much better.

Also it looks great. Anyone want the files at all? Box isn’t *quite* finished but the PCB is.

Edit: lol, any pics? vvv

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 23, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
nice. I use balanced audio for all my ham desk stuff that I can, so for a while i had these janky cables with the tiny transformers just hanging from fly leads coming out of the radio DIN plugs. I need to get everything set up with real interface boxes like that

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

DMR has won in the US, yeah. i don't see any d-star coming from behind, and its been a year and a half since yaesu's gambit to subsidize Fusion and it never took off.

Where does this leave Icom / Yaesu / Kenwood? It looks like none of the three sell anything in their Ham lines that does DMR, which sounds to me like they're giving up the VHF / UHF market to be served by either repurposed commercial gear, or let cheapo Chinese brands fully take over that market.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Quick question I think I asked before and didn’t get an answer, I recently jumped on a local-ish UHF net frequency and couldn’t hear anything, so another station near me set up a cross-band rebroadcast to a 2M frequency.

Is that legal? I’m in the U.K. It isn’t strictly a repeater, but the transmissions aren’t encoded/sending morse with your callsign or anything like that, except for when you yourself speak on the net (if your setup can do that).

Just curious.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Twerk from Home posted:

Where does this leave Icom / Yaesu / Kenwood? It looks like none of the three sell anything in their Ham lines that does DMR, which sounds to me like they're giving up the VHF / UHF market to be served by either repurposed commercial gear, or let cheapo Chinese brands fully take over that market.

Remember DMR is MotoTRBO repurposed for ham use. There's no financial incentive for the big 3 to develop DMR rigs, because their product management is driven by the commercial market and the ham market is basically the end cuttings and trim scraps of that one. You don't take on the Batwings.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
speaking of which i really need to get my xpr7550 out and play around again. it's been sitting in a charger, programmed for Denver where I don't live anymore, since I moved in here

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Took my Technician exam this morning and passed 35/35.

Now to get some coax for my feed line and get my antenna(CHA EMCOMM II) set up.

I've currently got a pre-made 50' RG-58 running to a pair of 6M hamsticks in a dipole. It's in a bad location outside(due to the cable not being long enough), but I can at least hear some CW traffic.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Edit 2: God, I’m so sorry, forgot my tweets embedded earlier. Sorry for essentially a double post guys. But it is finished now so any comments would be appreciated.

Before I send this PCB off for fabbing at JLCPCB can someone tell me if it all looks OK? I realise I could do this in the electronics forum, but think the extra expertise on the amateur radio side here means it's better that you guys check it. More familiarity.

Original schematic: https://k0rx.com/blog/2017/11/baofeng.html
Imgur post with my schematic and my board design: https://imgur.com/a/RUJ9e7C

The whole back is a ground plane and the top is left without a ground plane. Should I make the top a ground plane too and add vias?

Also just making sure the grounds are where they need to be, there's some isolation going on so that PTT isn't constantly on. I will be adding the PC side of the operation later with a USB to serial adapter, and the RS232 ground is separate still from the other audio ground and PTT line but for now I have found adding a slide switch for PTT lock a good alternative to having to hold down the button with your finger :)

Edit: Combined TRRS jack, not separate TRS jacks, mind. For laptop use.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 2, 2021

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Recently bought a slim jim antenna from n9tax to use out and about. Tested it out on a Baofeng UV-82 - wow! So I was getting a lot more distance and a huge improvement in reception just with the antenna INSIDE my house. Can't wait to get out camping an throw it up in a tree somewhere

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Finally got my hotspot working and jesus christ i forgot how unitelligable engineer-written software can be. Not so much in the UX parts of it, but in asking or getting a goddamn question answered. Do you turn on "WiresX passthrough"? Yes, no, yes yes and no, respectively, judging by the various tutorials I've found online. I get that that's relatively simple to test, but it's just frustrating that there's not a clear answer (Yes, if you want to be able to change rooms using your radio).

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Decided a couple months ago I wanted to upgrade my Tech so I could get some real access to HF, and fast forward to today, I passed both the General and Extra.

Now I have to figure out how I can get a station set up without interfering with my dad's setup in the same house. Just another reason why living with your parents sucks.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
now that i have a vr headset plz code something that lets me see waterfall in 3d realtime so i can perceive a signal by DEPTH.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement set of NanoVNA calibration SMAs? I’ve lost my 50ohm load :( They seem to be very expensive as sets online.

Or, how feasible is it to make one? I don’t have many tools...

Edit: also did anyone get a chance to sanity check my board?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

thehustler posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap replacement set of NanoVNA calibration SMAs? I’ve lost my 50ohm load :( They seem to be very expensive as sets online.

Or, how feasible is it to make one? I don’t have many tools...

Edit: also did anyone get a chance to sanity check my board?

This is what bought after I transmitted into my nanovna standard.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXUYDMM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ESYN4QSW6FKYWTP9KHGV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Excellent, thanks. Shipping to the U.K. not too bad.

I’m also struggling with antennas still lately. Ugh. A dipole where changing the length of the elements doesn’t really move the curve in any ways doesn’t seem right.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Oh, sorry for the US link. I’m sure there’s something similarly cheap more local.

If you don’t have a 50 ohm calibration, your results are going to look real funky and you’re going to chase your tail badly. That’s kind of the downside to the nanovna versus a more idiot-proof antenna-appliance.

If something seems wrong, quit trimming. Folding back the ends of a dipole is a good way to test before committing to a cut.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I do have some ranges saved in the slots, thank god, for 2 and 70

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Looks like my local APRS-Igate operator has toggled Bulletin broadcasting. My HT is now going off with Covid warnings from Germany and radioactivity measurements from the Netherlands.

So basically every message on this page makes my radio talk: https://aprs.fi/bulletin/

I'll probably set a bulletin group if this continues, to filter out the noise and only get the messages relevant to me. I have already set a distance filter for position reports.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Vir posted:

Looks like my local APRS-Igate operator has toggled Bulletin broadcasting. My HT is now going off with Covid warnings from Germany and radioactivity measurements from the Netherlands.

So basically every message on this page makes my radio talk: https://aprs.fi/bulletin/

I'll probably set a bulletin group if this continues, to filter out the noise and only get the messages relevant to me. I have already set a distance filter for position reports.

That's weird, some dude locally did the same around here last night. It completely took over my whole radio screen until I dismissed it. Fortunately, he only did it for about 20 minutes, hopefully he got an earful from other people.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Back when I ran a simplex net I would pop out a bulletin advertising it a few hours before and got a few new check ins from people that didn’t know aprs had bulletins and I made a message pop up on their kenwoods. It was useful for that but a full firehose is dumb

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Are babby newbie GMRS allowed to post dumb, stupid questions in here, or do I have to move out of SoCal to afford a place to have a real radio?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
Ask your question, not to ask lol. radio is radio, unless the intention is to be an rear end in a top hat about things like "how can i take over hte taco bell drive thru!#epic" people are gonna be pretty helpful :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Do you still need a GMRS license if you have your technician license?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do you still need a GMRS license if you have your technician license?

If you're going to TX in the GMRS/FRS frequencies, yes. They are not part of the Amateur spectrum.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

GMRS license fee is dropping to $35 very soon. Figures since I got mine a couple of months ago.

Around here it almost seems like GMRS repeaters are more popular than 2m/70cm amateur. Probably helps that there are a few networked into the Midwest GMRS system.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

charliebravo77 posted:

GMRS license fee is dropping to $35 very soon. Figures since I got mine a couple of months ago.

Around here it almost seems like GMRS repeaters are more popular than 2m/70cm amateur. Probably helps that there are a few networked into the Midwest GMRS system.

Do you have GMRS radio recommendations? It looks like MidlandUSA is basically the only game in town, at a glance.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you have GMRS radio recommendations? It looks like MidlandUSA is basically the only game in town, at a glance.

I have a Midland MXT275 in my truck now, which works pretty well - I can hit several repeaters with it that are 10-20+ miles away and audio quality is good. My only real complaint is you can't add custom channels for repeaters beyond what's built into the radio. Ie. if you frequently use two different repeaters on the same channel you can't have them both programmed in at once. I've also got a pair of the Midland GXTs but they aren't repeater compatible. I have a Wouxon KG-UV9G on backorder that I will hopefully be able to comment on soon.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

charliebravo77 posted:

And I paid for mine the night before you posted this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Sniep posted:

If anyone knows how to get that working in windows 10 please tell me what the toolchain is? I've tried a few things and just cant seem to get it to come up

Did you ever get this working? I got one last year, gave up after I read somewhere that it doesn't like Win10 machines with virtualization enabled, and then tried to get it working again hoping a different outcome. I have it appear in Device Manager under USB devices but never the Sound devices section.

Next step is seeing if I can get an old RPi1B to run it.