Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The guy who wrote this is 100% patrick bateman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I really don't feel like mocking two people who realized "Hey, I'm a HN poster and I'm really not very good at giving emotional support - and this is a problem with _me_, not with other people being Insufficiently Rational ® or whatever. How do I get better at helping others?"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
beep bop does anyone have a good empathy subroutine

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yeah social skills are a thing you can actively work at and improve, same as any skill. The real joke is, asking for help on Hacker News??

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

NihilCredo posted:

I really don't feel like mocking two people who realized "Hey, I'm a HN poster and I'm really not very good at giving emotional support - and this is a problem with _me_, not with other people being Insufficiently Rational ® or whatever. How do I get better at helping others?"

Yeah, the OP being all "beep boop I am a low empathy robot" about it is funny in the usual way but I feel like giving them some credit for recognising an opportunity for personal improvement.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

NihilCredo posted:

You can laugh at the post on HN while still wishing the OP well in their efforts to become more emphatic. Hth

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Doom Mathematic posted:

Yeah social skills are a thing you can actively work at and improve, same as any skill. The real joke is, asking for help on Hacker News??

that (i hope) is simply because the poster knows there would be plenty of people with the same problem. bear in mind he only needs to find one person with a solution

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
my convenience > your parents' "deaths"

half of hn thinks they'll never get old one day, too

hiram112 18 minutes ago [–]
Well let's say there was one extra suicide caused by lockdowns. And we know that something like 2/3 of Covid "deaths" are occurring in nursing homes among very elderly who, statistically, might live a year or so longer had they not got Covid.

If we're comparing years of life, isn't one 16 year old worth 60-70 85 year olds in nursing homes? Maybe more because one year in the life of an 84 year old who's already experienced a full life is worth a lot less than a 16 year old going on 17. Societally wise, it's much worse to sacrifice a young person for an 80 year old who's essentially a burden on the rest.

This comparison of the value of a life is morbid, but we've been making decisions like this anyway, even if the media has refused to speak of it openly.

And of course this assumes that all these lockdowns, school closings, etc. made any difference. Again, we can debate that and both sides have data to make their case.

So yeah, maybe one or two suicides and the massive increase of unknown mental health issues weren't a good tradeoff for the unknown number of mostly elderly whose lives were extended a year or two.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I read that and was inches away from posting it here

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

also, only deaths matter. long term health complications and decrease in years lived healthily does not matter at all, because it is impossible to directly convert it into an concrete integer statistic that a hackernews could parse

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Fun! They should do suicides because of poverty compared to the utility of an extra million for Musk, next

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
isn't one 16 year old worth 60-70 85 year olds in nursing homes?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

“let’s be real, what are the odds those olds in the nursing home were even loved by anyone? logically speaking...”

:shepicide:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HN is very happy that the defender of rapists and pedophiles Richard Stallman is back on the Free Software Foundation board

userbinator 1 hour ago [–]

The canary has been resuscitated... while I don't agree with everything he says, I think we do need an extremist or two to keep the fringes of opinion where they are.

hda2 1 hour ago [–]

Good. Congratulations to Richard and all the members of the FSF. Hopefully, he can help them fix the damage they did while he was gone.

user3939382 1 hour ago [–]

I think we can look to someone for their philosophy on software without them having to pass a wokeness purity test. I also respect and understand these issues are a quasi-religion to many and that they feel differently.

deft 1 hour ago [–]

holy loving HYPE. I'm glad I emailed advocating for him. He actually got back to me because the pansies running FSF's emails had no good answers to any of my questions.

wrycoder 3 hours ago [–]

RMS: "I'm not planning to resign a second time!"

disposekinetics 28 minutes ago [–]

This is wonderful news. The hero has returned from the cancellation underworld.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*pats patented Granny Grinder 9000 near it's gaping maw*

"this baby produces so many utils. Two hours at a nursing home and you've given two 16 year olds a nice summer. Plus you feed the resulting meat to the homeless - more utils!"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
they let RMS back on the board? FSF is garbage, glad I stopped giving them money

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i still like them more than OSI

but wouldn't give either of them money

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

salisbury shake posted:

isn't one 16 year old worth 60-70 85 year olds in nursing homes?
Legit question for rural Americans - How do I save the 30-50 frail husks that catch covid in a nursing home within 3-5 mins while my small kids play?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

they let RMS back on the board? FSF is garbage, glad I stopped giving them money

yeah he blogged about how he understands why loving kids is bad, now, so everythings ok and he got his red star board position back

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

the hn consensus is that it's ok to be a pedo apologist because he's autistic despite the fact RMS has said publicly that he's not autistic

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Jose Valasquez posted:

userbinator 1 hour ago [–]

The canary has been resuscitated... while I don't agree with everything he says, I think we do need an extremist or two to keep the fringes of opinion where they are.

lol what does this mean

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Hammerite posted:

lol what does this mean

centrist overton window triangulation but for how many epstein flights is ok

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

using QALYs to allocate scarce healthcare resources where they will be most impactful is a thing, but I gotta say that doing it to justify the mass death of the elderly in a pandemic is pretty unconventional

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
the poor aristocracy

rayiner 8 hours ago [–]

Only some revolutions involve unfocused rage at existing norms, and they’re usually bad ones (like the French Revolution).

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

salisbury shake posted:

the poor aristocracy

rayiner 8 hours ago [–]

Only some revolutions involve unfocused rage at existing norms, and they’re usually bad ones (like the French Revolution).

what were those revolting peasants mad about anyway? there is no way that I, someone who spends all their time on a computer with near instant access to the world’s collected knowledge, could know or find out. probably it was cancel culture

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

salisbury shake posted:

the poor aristocracy

tenebrisalietum 4 hours ago [–]

Public spaces are not places I like to be these days because:
- someone's always playing music too loud, either from their car or their phone;
- there seems to always be someone who is unwilling to control their children;
- people get into fights, sometimes these escalate into serious safety issues.
- someone is always trying to sell something or have unsolicited conversations about their religion;
- recently in some places mentally ill people are doing unsafe things, such as drugs, etc.
- people generally move around in fixed cliques and don't really interact beyond them - people are not socially conducive in this setting anyway.
I'll say the public itself has decayed, likely due to economic factors, but no one is willing to fix that.
So what's the point? If we're not going to fix the underlying social issues, I'd rather have multiple competing private spaces where someone can at least try to gateway out bad actors and there is some sort of incentive to enforce at least a minimum of behavior expectations for people within.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol my man literally needs a safe space to protect him from society. also I'm pretty sure dude has some pretty strong opinions re: safe spaces in tech and colleges

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

just wait til that dude finds out about gated communities lmao

future hoa petty tyrant

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

problems when I go outside
- there are too many people I dont like
- sometimes they try to talk to me
- too many cliques; no one talks to me

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i appreciate that he accurately identifies that the destruction of society can be traced back to economic factors and then veers into "so that's why i should have my own mcdonaldland playplace with no poors"

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

kitten emergency posted:

i appreciate that he accurately identifies that the destruction of society can be traced back to economic factors and then veers into "so that's why i should have my own mcdonaldland playplace with no poors"

Yeah I did re-think about not posting it for just a second when I saw that part, but then I saw the rest. Also lol at phrasing it like economic factors are causing personal moral failures.

[about people moving to Austin and gentrifying the place]
ulisesrmzroche 8 hours ago [–]

What’s annoying is that instead of switching to whataburger, their bringing the in’n’outs. The transplants are failing to assimilate here and it really shows.
If I land a remote job I’m selling my place and moving to San Antonio.

:hmmyes:

In-n-out is actually fine and I think compensates their workers better that most fast food places. Also, Whataburger is now unfortunately owned by a foreign (Chicago) investment firm

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh, no! a new burger chain to go to!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

whataburger is by far the best burger chain though so it is a big loss

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Oh hey RMS is back let's go see what HN's best and brightest have to say

Second job out of college was at a company where employee #2 drank like a fish and would slam co-workers at the drop of a hat. I bring it up to the boss/owner and get
"Well he's done a lot of good work for this company and you've only been here a few months."

N-gate guy is probably accurate that they all work in click analytics, blockchain, "AI", or adtech or some other destined-to-die VC funded hogwash that still pays off for the money men.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 25, 2021

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rich_sasha 3 days ago [–]

I read the top link, very good.
It strikes me that RMS writes a lot about sex, rape and minors. Well, we all have interests. If the article is anything to go by, it confirms my hunch that he says a lot of things that are prone to misinterpretation.
While I would think it is his fault (we have a duty to say controversial things in a way that the audience can understand), this still doesn’t seem to be a good reason to cancel him, and of all things, from the FSF. It’s not like he is on the board of the Girl Guides.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

fritz posted:

rich_sasha 3 days ago [–]

I read the top link, very good.
It strikes me that RMS writes a lot about sex, rape and minors. Well, we all have interests.

lmao cool

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

raiph 3 days ago [–]

> Understanding the runes of Perl and the difference between a "$" and a "@" etc are a lot more exotic than "ADD A TO B GIVING C." or "IDENTIFICATION DIVISION."
I disagree.
"$" is understandable for just about every 2 year old on the planet[1] and understood by just about every developer on the planet, including the majority for whom English is not their first language. ("IDENTIFICATION DIVISION"? Why would you divide your name?)
"@" is understandable for a 6 year old.[2]
Calling such incredibly simple things "runes" and "exotic" is like calling "0" an exotic rune.[2]
[1] "$" is just a visual/audio/semantic/mnemonic/symbol overlaying S for "Single" and I for "Item". According to replicated scientific studies an average English baby demonstrates understanding of this concept at around 22-24 months. I think a conclusion that a 2 year old could understand "$" is reasonable.
[2] "@" is just a visual/audio/semantic/mnemonic/symbol overlaying "at" to indicate indexing, "a" to indicate "array", and "0" to indicate counting starts at zero. According to a 2018 scientific study[3] an average child has come to understand integer counting by the age of around 3 and a half, and is comfortable with counting from "0" at around 5-6 years of age. Perhaps the most challenging aspect is the notion of an "array"; but the whole point of having an "@" is to distinguish it from "$" without getting into details. I think a conclusion that a 6 year old could understand "@" more easily than they could understand addition is reasonable.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fritz posted:

raiph 3 days ago [–]

> Understanding the runes of Perl and the difference between a "$" and a "@" etc are a lot more exotic than "ADD A TO B GIVING C." or "IDENTIFICATION DIVISION."
I disagree.
"$" is understandable for just about every 2 year old on the planet[1] and understood by just about every developer on the planet, including the majority for whom English is not their first language. ("IDENTIFICATION DIVISION"? Why would you divide your name?)
"@" is understandable for a 6 year old.[2]
Calling such incredibly simple things "runes" and "exotic" is like calling "0" an exotic rune.[2]
[1] "$" is just a visual/audio/semantic/mnemonic/symbol overlaying S for "Single" and I for "Item". According to replicated scientific studies an average English baby demonstrates understanding of this concept at around 22-24 months. I think a conclusion that a 2 year old could understand "$" is reasonable.
[2] "@" is just a visual/audio/semantic/mnemonic/symbol overlaying "at" to indicate indexing, "a" to indicate "array", and "0" to indicate counting starts at zero. According to a 2018 scientific study[3] an average child has come to understand integer counting by the age of around 3 and a half, and is comfortable with counting from "0" at around 5-6 years of age. Perhaps the most challenging aspect is the notion of an "array"; but the whole point of having an "@" is to distinguish it from "$" without getting into details. I think a conclusion that a 6 year old could understand "@" more easily than they could understand addition is reasonable.

ok, this is actually peak hn and we might as well close the thread now.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we need to put a stop to these unethical experiments that expose young children to Perl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

we need to put a stop to these unethical experiments that expose young children to Perl

read: my high school cs class that I barely remember anything about