Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

quote:

Which States Are Leading In The Race To Get Their Populations Vaccinated?

Percentage of state’s population vaccinated as of March 19. Size of circle represents state’s population size.

One dose:

Fully vaccinated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

System Metternich posted:

organisation chart of the state government of Vorarlberg, Austria:

Almost like a Swiss watch.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Almost like a Swiss watch.

Vorarlberg actually wanted to leave Austria and join Switzerland because of cultural and language ties, but the Swiss refused them entry in a referendum because they were to poor. :lol:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

:thejoke:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kennel posted:

Haha, I looked at the data and all of the yellow 1974 car incidents refer the same case:
Amazing how many charges they can get out of "impaired driver crashed into highway safety cones with an unregistered vehicle".

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Watch it be a 12 year old driving a riding lawnmower around a parking lot

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

One dose:

Fully vaccinated:

I'm...not sure I see the problem with these? They're not real intuitive on first glance, but they get the data across (other than the fact that it's hard to eyeball specific percentages).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah they're not bad. Horizontal scale should really be 0..100% though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah they're not bad. Horizontal scale should really be 0..100% though.
Why, for propaganda purposes? That would be more meaningful when there is a better spread, perhaps in two months.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Nessus posted:

Why, for propaganda purposes? That would be more meaningful when there is a better spread, perhaps in two months.

It means that when they publish this same chart in a few months they'll need to use a different scale on the x axis which makes comparison more difficult.

The whole purpose of vaccination is to get as close as possible to 100%; I agree that showing that on the scale would be the most useful in most cases.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I'm sure that style of graph wouldn't be so bad if it was animated. But as it stands I just want to see where Wisconsin is and I gave up in both graphs, which isn't a good sign for readability.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

aas Bandit posted:

I'm...not sure I see the problem with these? They're not real intuitive on first glance, but they get the data across (other than the fact that it's hard to eyeball specific percentages).

I posted them because the size of the circles really doesn't accurately represent state population size. And I get why that is, but I still think it's funny.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

What if you were to wear a suit made of needles containing doses of the vaccine?? My models have shown this to be theoretically 100% effective.

Are the needles pointing in or out?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

I posted them because the size of the circles really doesn't accurately represent state population size. And I get why that is, but I still think it's funny.
Is the circle size supposed to represent pop size or number of vaccinations given? Obviously related but slightly different.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Outrail posted:

Are the needles pointing in or out?

Whichever is more effective.

Albino Squirrel posted:

Is the circle size supposed to represent pop size or number of vaccinations given? Obviously related but slightly different.

The size of the circle is supposed to represent population size. And I don't think that Delaware circle would be that large in comparison with that California circle.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
It looks like the circles represent population size down to about 3 million and then they hit a minimum. So about 15 states are shown too big. But since they're still being shown as "the smallest" it's not too bad.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
While it could be said for plenty of things, I do think there should be some sort of licensing for using circles in your graphs.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

And yet you published it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
poo poo data on both axes and they still couldn’t whip it into line.

Sad!

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Mar 22, 2021

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Memento posted:

And yet you published it.

I wonder if the data is available. I'd like to find the r2 of the inverse - my guess is it's close enough to 0.14 as to make no difference.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You could express the exact opposite visual message by just flipping the diagonal line

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pull out the two leftmost points and you'll get a pretty different regression line.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And bear in mind the economic freedom index is a hacky ad hoc sorting of countries in a manner that suits the arguments made by a lovely libertarian think tank.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

poo poo data on both axes and they still couldn’t whip it into line.

Sad!

I only just now read the y- axis... racism as defined by self-reported neighbor preference is beyond parody

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does that include people who'd prefer not to live next to anyone of any race?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also funny how the one country being pointed out there is the UK, in the "high economic freedom, low racism" section. You know, the UK that's been in the news a lot recently for how not-racist they are.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Western Europe as a whole has learned that the right answer to "are you a huge racist?" is "no, of course not". We even have gotten good at recognizing the subtle ways of asking. This just means we know how to act politically correct, not that we aren't ginormous racists.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also funny how the one country being pointed out there is the UK, in the "high economic freedom, low racism" section. You know, the UK that's been in the news a lot recently for how not-racist they are.

They figure that Poles, Bulgarians, Albanians, Irish etc. are the same race as themselves so it's not racism.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

BonHair posted:

Western Europe as a whole has learned that the right answer to "are you a huge racist?" is "no, of course not". We even have gotten good at recognizing the subtle ways of asking. This just means we know how to act politically correct, not that we aren't ginormous racists.

I'm not racist, but

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I'm not racist, but

...I believe that Islam and Slavic culture are existential threats to Western civilization?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BonHair posted:

Except travellers/roma/anyone who you think might be at all related to either of those.

hoooly poo poo you'd have loving goebbels saying "steady on mate" the way people treat travellers over here.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

BonHair posted:

Yeah exactly. Things like the Implicit Association Test seem like a far better measure, but of course you can't just scrape that data off the internet on the cheap and use it to make up whatever conclusion you want.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Nenonen posted:

They figure that Poles, Bulgarians, Albanians, Irish etc. are the same race as themselves so it's not racism.
they do not figure that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
European racism is advanced and uncanny in the area of how to hate specific races specifically, but absolute amateur hours on the covering it up side.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OwlFancier posted:

Except travellers/roma/anyone who you think might be at all related to either of those.

hoooly poo poo you'd have loving goebbels saying "steady on mate" the way people treat travellers over here.

I saw this posted somewhere else and it seemed about right

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Why would you ever need that many decimals on an r^2 value? I am rather unclear on how sig fig propogation to r^2 works, but I'm still pretty sure nobody's sitting around going "hmm, you've got a 0.14364, that's ok but if you could bring that up to a 0.14366 then we'd really be talking."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Karia posted:

Why would you ever need that many decimals on an r^2 value? I am rather unclear on how sig fig propogation to r^2 works, but I'm still pretty sure nobody's sitting around going "hmm, you've got a 0.14364, that's ok but if you could bring that up to a 0.14366 then we'd really be talking."

People with... interesting ideas about the statistical significance of correlation may have skewed ideas about the significance of numbers in general.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Karia posted:

it's because they just slammed the numbers into excel and copied out whatever it came up with into their hot take tweet. at no point do they need to have any understanding of any part of that process, or apply any reasoning or analysis

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

edit: :doh:

Karia posted:

Lazy copy/paste out of some program like Excel is frequently the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Memento posted:

I saw this posted somewhere else and it seemed about right

I didn't think Finnish Air Force 1918-1944 was that focused on gypsies, huh.