Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Will Wight just posted the cover of Unsouled on Instagram/Facebook. In the past, he's done this one picture a day countdown until revealing the cover for the newest Cradle book. We're coming up on the end of his three month sabbatical, so it's possible.

Also, probably doesn't matter for this thread, but first three Cradle books are currently free: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076G8DVN6?ref_=d6k_applink_bb_marketplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Will Wight just posted the cover of Unsouled on Instagram/Facebook. In the past, he's done this one picture a day countdown until revealing the cover for the newest Cradle book. We're coming up on the end of his three month sabbatical, so it's possible.

I'm calling April Fools! He timed his break to resume back on 1 April so I'm pretty dubious. Though if Bloodline should happen to drop soon I'll be dropping everything else I'm reading to devour it.

Edit: and the Soulsmith cover just went up. Maybe it's just a Bloodline cover art announcement, or that he's going to take a break after Bloodline to write Traveler's Blade, or maybe that new thing he wants to do.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Just finished reading all of Dungeon Crawler Carl, the sequel, and all the stuff on Royal Road based on people talking about it here. Very enjoyable read. I'll probably reread the third book when it gets officially released next month.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Just finished reading all of Dungeon Crawler Carl, the sequel, and all the stuff on Royal Road based on people talking about it here. Very enjoyable read. I'll probably reread the third book when it gets officially released next month.

Check out Matt Dinniman’s other stuff. LitRPG cosmic horror all the way down.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'll add a recommendation for Dungeon Crawler Carl. There are some places that could have used an editor's touch to tighten things up, but on the whole the sheer whatthefuckery (in a good way) of the ongoing plot thread with the aliens is enough to keep you engaged and rooting for the characters.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 19, 2021

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

n-thing Dungeon Crawler Carl.

Currently reading Kaiju Battlefield Surgeon. I’m enjoying it, but Dinniman is a sick gently caress. About the closest thing I remember reading in terms of body horror was rear end Goblins of Auschwitz, except Dinniman manages to embed it in a litRPG story.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Will Wight to fanbase: What, you thought my supposed 'sabbatical' was a real vacation, and not just another troll? You fools, you absolute morons.

:siren: Bloodline (Cradle #9) releasing April 6th in all formats: https://www.facebook.com/willwightauthor/photos/a.292179890964495/1741703862678750 :siren:

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Cicero posted:

Will Wight to fanbase: What, you thought my supposed 'sabbatical' was a real vacation, and not just another troll? You fools, you absolute morons.

:siren: Bloodline (Cradle #9) releasing April 6th in all formats: https://www.facebook.com/willwightauthor/photos/a.292179890964495/1741703862678750 :siren:

Oh shiiiiiiit. I'm so stoked about this. Great news.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with the thread-OP that Drew Hayes is kind of great. I've heard a lot of audiobooks written by him and enjoyed every one of them. He writes good characters and enjoyable team dynamics.
Over the last few months I've heard:
  • Forging Hephaestus
  • The NPCs books
  • The Super Powereds books
  • The first three Fred the Vampire accountant books

All of these were really fun and often quite clever or unexpected.
The last Super Powereds book is incredibly long with a playtime of over 60 hours. But by the end, I didn't want it to be over. Those kids really grow on you. Also, huge compliments to the narrator (Kyle McCarley). There are about 30-40 different people in the regularly occurring cast and he managed to make each voice distinct enough to make it recognizable. And only one minor side character sounded actively grating.

At the end of the month, Bones of the Past will appear as an audiobook and I am looking forward to it.
(I prefer audio-books because I can go for a walk, or run while listening. I hate how paralyzed I get, when I am actually reading something and barely move all day long.)

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Yeah I got really bittersweet at the end of year 4 of Super Powereds.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cicero posted:

I always want more Cradle, but Will, for gently caress's sake, please take an actual holiday at some point

e: And it's the actual day I come back from holiday, ack

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 22, 2021

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

cant cook creole bream posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I agree with the thread-OP that Drew Hayes is kind of great. I've heard a lot of audiobooks written by him and enjoyed every one of them. He writes good characters and enjoyable team dynamics.
Over the last few months I've heard:
  • Forging Hephaestus
  • The NPCs books
  • The Super Powereds books
  • The first three Fred the Vampire accountant books

All of these were really fun and often quite clever or unexpected.
The last Super Powereds book is incredibly long with a playtime of over 60 hours. But by the end, I didn't want it to be over. Those kids really grow on you. Also, huge compliments to the narrator (Kyle McCarley). There are about 30-40 different people in the regularly occurring cast and he managed to make each voice distinct enough to make it recognizable. And only one minor side character sounded actively grating.

At the end of the month, Bones of the Past will appear as an audiobook and I am looking forward to it.
(I prefer audio-books because I can go for a walk, or run while listening. I hate how paralyzed I get, when I am actually reading something and barely move all day long.)

Bones of the Past was interesting to me because it felt much more Super Powereds-y than Forging Hephaestus (in that there was *a lot* of slice of life type stuff and the main plot was more something that comes and goes). Definitely made for a good pandemic read - there's a lot to sink your teeth into, but I could see folks who are approaching it expecting the relatively tight plotting of Hephaestus to suffer some whiplash.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hated the first few chapters of The Case of the Damaged Detective and thought Second Hand Curses was fine, I suppose, but it didn't do much for me.

I really enjoyed Forging Hephaestus, NPCs and Super Powereds, though.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

:aaaaa: I take it back, wtf he was supposed to be taking a break and looking after his mental health.

(still gonna pre-order and binge it within 24 hrs of release)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

He was finished with bloodline and took time off, apparently.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bloodline audiobook excerpt posted: https://hiddengnome.podbean.com/e/an-excerpt-from-bloodline-cradle-book-9/

According to Will's brother, it's from chapter 2.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Bloodline’s pre-release is currently #1 on the entire Kindle store.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Cicero posted:

Bloodline audiobook excerpt posted: https://hiddengnome.podbean.com/e/an-excerpt-from-bloodline-cradle-book-9/

According to Will's brother, it's from chapter 2.

Wonder if that one poster will still insist Lindon is an Archlord despite Mercy saying Daji and Lindon are both still underlords.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

Wonder if that one poster will still insist Lindon is an Archlord despite Mercy saying Daji and Lindon are both still underlords.

Probably, it was a weird troll not an earnest belief.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Just noticed that Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine is on unlimited. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ZFZ4O8/

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Monkey posted:

Probably, it was a weird troll not an earnest belief.

I still have my concerns about how everyone read the same book as me and came to the obvious conclusion that he's a quasi underlord sage, a position that doesn't exist rather than another position that doesn't exist.

I've read and re-read the book a dozen times but I can't get my head around how you a have read it.

Anyway, I enjoy the series, it's a fun read and I look forward to seeing where Will takes the characters next but I'm not going to listen to pre-release spoilers and ruin the book for me. I'm in Australia so I'll get it a bit earlier anyway.

Aargh fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 31, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh, it was by reading the text of the book where they explained that he was the thing everyone else told you he was. In the text. In plain English.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Let us not have this debate again.

In related news Cradle is doing that thing where some of the early works are free before the latest comes out. This time it is Path of Gold [Book 2 of the compilation]

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Compilation volume 2 aka books 4, 5 and 6 rolled in one.

e: never too late to shake my fist at autocomplete

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 4, 2021

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Will posted a Bloodline deleted scene that actually takes place right before the very end of Wintersteel: https://www.willwight.com/a-blog-of-dubious-intent/bloodline-deleted-scene

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bloodline out in Australia, which means my Kindle account is an Aussie one for the next little while.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

Bloodline out in Australia, which means my Kindle account is an Aussie one for the next little while.

I tried to do this and it kicked me out of my amazon household with my wife and sent an angry email about it, lol.

I'll just wait a few hours, no big deal.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

team overhead smash posted:

Just got Bloodline and it out and out says, within 10 pages, that he is an underlord sage. solved!

shirunei fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 6, 2021

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Can't believe Will reads this thread.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

shirunei posted:

Just got Bloodline and it out and out says within, 10 pages, that he is an underlord sage. solved!

quote:

Underlord Sage and the world’s first…pseudo-Herald…

Lmao. Yep.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Enjoyed it but not as much as Wintersteel. Will leave a proper review once I’m not phone posting.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Well it was good to get confirmation that I was wrong early on.

Was a bit meh overall, probably inline with blackflame as the least strong of the series.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I really liked it, but then again I've liked every Cradle book. This one felt structurally very similar to Skysworn, in that it followed a Big Climax Book and was more transitioning/setting up the next big plot events, though I think it was still a good bit better than that one.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Cicero posted:

I really liked it, but then again I've liked every Cradle book. This one felt structurally very similar to Skysworn, in that it followed a Big Climax Book and was more transitioning/setting up the next big plot events, though I think it was still a good bit better than that one.

I agree with all of this. Given that this one was about his long awaited return home, I can see there being people who expected more triumph out of the moment, but personally I liked the fact that his parents still didn’t respect him even when he came back with power and good intentions. Their immediate reactions of doubt felt more real than a sudden jump to trust would have. I was disappointed when the First Elder turned on him, though. That one cut deep.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004
I enjoyed Bloodline, the choppiness and pacing of the book conveyed a proper sense of urgency... until the whole Sacred Valley part. I don't have an issue with it being a short book but I think that some of the betrayal loops in SV could be cut instead of glossing over advancement and other stuff. It really sucks the urgency out of it when you'd think after the fifth time or whatever Lindon would just be like 'holy poo poo these people are suicidally petty, lets just skip to the part where we unveil our power and swear an oath and then just make them do what we want instead of asking nicely'. . It did set up a lot of stuff and had a lot of random one-liners that made me chuckle sensibly TINY HERALD but not a lot of re-read value for me.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I will say that the bit with Regan Shen was cool but it was so of a thread with the complete flood of similar self-destructive betrayals that I was just shouting OH COME ON by the time it happened.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The book was a nice coming of age step for the cast - Everyone had to set aside some of the naiveite of youth, not their hopes or ambitions, but instead their assumption that "well when I'm older/stronger/wiser/freer" things will change without me needing to change them.

This is a bit of childish thinking that isn't handled well usually, and it's a nice bit of characterization to see it touched upon in several ways. Lindon realizing his parents will not just suddenly believe in him; Mercy realizing that Malice is often acting as she does because she wants to save people. Etc.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Bloodlines : The way people in Sacred Valley responded to warnings of an impending apocalypse seemed very realistic to me. Realistically frustrating, but I appreciated the restraint in not having everything just work out like it would in a shameless power fantasy. I think the only time I really rolled my eyes was when Mercy spent all that time trying to be nice to that clan of flyers only to successfully browbeat them in minutes once they hit the deadline. That became more palatable when it ended up that browbeating the Wei clan wasn't successful after all. Maybe the sheer number of times the Wei clan betrayed Lindon was a bit over the top, too. But different groups having different reactions both to the evidence of the threat and the methods used to convince them worked well I thought. And I thought Lindon and co going back and actually being able to drive off the Titan was a nice palette cleanser, especially once Lindon finally found the Sword Sage's void space and talked to Elder Whisper.

Reigan Shen being a sneaky little rat was just Reigan Shen things. It didn't feel like a betrayal to me since he has always been an antagonist, and I expected nothing better of him. I wonder which is on the chopping clock first: him or a Dreadgod. Probably him, since Monarchs are weaker?

I'm excited for more Elder Whisper shenanigans. And maybe Ozriel shenanigans? The title of the next book is certainly evocative of Ozriel, but arguably that's also the path Lindon is on, and the Mad King also has an approximation of the Reaper's scythe now. On the other hand Ozriel is the founding Aurelius, so he's probably responsible for the newly introduced hunger hands, which were stored in that ancient Aurelius vault. But that's only an assumption.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 11, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

hunger hands.

Please, it’s called a munchies paw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

Please, it’s called a munchies paw