Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Piell posted:

Snydercut is definitely a better movie than Whedon but it's like a 7/10

Try defending the lamentations, I loving dare you

It's a poor village offering all they can to their god: their beautiful voices. Humans have been doing it for 1,000's of years.

"I loving dare you" :lol: Wanker.

Or we talking about the WW theme? It's pretty much a meme at this point with idiots going hurrrr [lamentations...] FUNNY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
People are so used to comic book movies being ashamed of their source material and hiding anything remotely interesting behind irony and anticlimax that sincerity is confusing and scary to them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Vintersorg posted:

It's a poor village offering all they can to their god: their beautiful voices. Humans have been doing it for 1,000's of years.

"I loving dare you" :lol: Wanker.

Or we talking about the WW theme? It's pretty much a meme at this point with idiots going hurrrr [lamentations...] FUNNY.

I am referring to the Wonder Woman theme, and its curious you didn't even bother to try to defend it. (Playing it literally anytime Wonder Woman does anything was a bad idea that is dumb)

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 22, 2021

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
It rocks

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
What's to defend? It's a quick musical sting that plays when Wonder Woman does something. It's overplayed but I doubt people would notice so much without the silly subtitle

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Piell posted:

Haha I certainly won't. This is the sort of movie that I'm glad exists, I enjoyed it, but think there's a much better movie in here with a few cuts and music cue changes. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd cut it down myself.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://twitter.com/itssofiah/status/1373824883403059204?s=21

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I guess we're moving on from "black bars on my screen" to "what is this poo poo in my subtitles" chat.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I guess we're moving on from "black bars on my screen" to "what is this poo poo in my subtitles" chat.

If something happens like twenty times and I'm already going "I get it, wailing happens when Wonder Woman does anything, move one" on the third time it is a failed bit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Play Classical Gas!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

screaming at pachelbel from across the music hall, again with the goddamn scales?!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought the ancient lamentation bit was cool because it emphasized her divine/mystical nature. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Maybe they could have switched it up a bit with a bit more of her kicking rad fight music, but otherwise the subtitle was much more egregious (and funny) than the actual cue

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Piell posted:

If something happens like twenty times and I'm already going "I get it, wailing happens when Wonder Woman does anything, move one" on the third time it is a failed bit

It's just a musical theme for something - it doesn't detract from anything. You're just nitpicking some bullshit cause it's a meme.

Did you cry everytime the Shire cues played throughout LoTR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

I mean again it's not really a "bit" it's a musical accent to accompany WW's actions. Literally every character has them, it's just that hers have the humorous subtitle to describe it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite subtitle in anything is still in Mass Effect 1, when a villain grunts in frustration. "Argh! Rawr! Argh!"

josh04 posted:

screaming at pachelbel from across the music hall, again with the goddamn scales?!

We have to destroy Pachelbel and end canon forever

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lietmotifs, what are they?!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

multijoe posted:

Lietmotifs, what are they?!

Ancient lamentations, obviously

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Vintersorg posted:

It's just a musical theme for something - it doesn't detract from anything. You're just nitpicking some bullshit cause it's a meme.

Did you cry everytime the Shire cues played throughout LoTR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw

I'm not nitpicking it because it's a meme, it's something I noticed during the movie and though it was dumb, it detracted from the movie for me because I was rolling my eyes every time it happened, nobody else had loud wailing happening any time they did anything

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Piell posted:

I'm not nitpicking it because it's a meme, it's something I noticed during the movie and though it was dumb, it detracted from the movie for me because I was rolling my eyes every time it happened, nobody else had loud wailing happening any time they did anything

No you didn't. I'm calling you out. It didn't distract you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Vintersorg posted:

I assure you it did, when Wonder Woman was doing a thing I wasn't thinking "man look at Wonder Woman doing a cool thing", I was thinking "the loving wailing again"

Piell fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 22, 2021

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
There's this really weird thing going on with the Snyder Cut, where if someone mentions something about it they didn't like they are instantly shot down and told they are wrong.

I loved the movie, absolutely loved it. At the same time, I can laugh at the Wonder Woman musical cue being overused, or a dramatic sequence of the team walking up some stairs.

It's ok for people to love it, but it's ok for people to find fault in it and bring that up. Let people have their opinions and discuss those in a normal manner, rather than jumping on to someone who just has a different take.

That long post about why you can't say you found the movie bad is just embarrassing. Why look for a fight about a different of opinion regarding a Justice League movie?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pitwar posted:

There's this really weird thing going on with the Snyder Cut, where if someone mentions something about it they didn't like they are instantly shot down and told they are wrong.

I loved the movie, absolutely loved it. At the same time, I can laugh at the Wonder Woman musical cue being overused, or a dramatic sequence of the team walking up some stairs.

It's ok for people to love it, but it's ok for people to find fault in it and bring that up. Let people have their opinions and discuss those in a normal manner, rather than jumping on to someone who just has a different take.

That long post about why you can't say you found the movie bad is just embarrassing. Why look for a fight about a different of opinion regarding a Justice League movie?

This is not true.

It's fine if someone doesn't like it. That's normal.

But when you're just repeating twitter hot takes of nitpicks then it's where you're called out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Pitwar posted:

I dunno I can see "try defending the lamentations I loving dare you" being just a tad confrontational

Like if that's "discussing in a normal manner" I feel like the responses have been equally normal

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Vintersorg posted:

This is not true.

It's fine if someone doesn't like it. That's normal.

But when you're just repeating twitter hot takes of nitpicks then it's where you're called out.

This insistence that nobody could possibly dislike the wailing because people on twitter also didn't like it is idiotic. The wailing drew me out of the action scenes because I found it annoying that it happened literally anything Wonder Woman did something. Again, overall I liked the movie, but it was far from perfect.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

In the music department, I think would like to have seen a Junkie XL/Hans Zimmer collab joint for ZSJL. Not that I think the score is bad, but for me, Zimmer's music just has that warm blanket familiarity to it that I like.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Piell posted:

This insistence that nobody could possibly dislike the wailing because people on twitter also didn't like it is idiotic. The wailing drew me out of the action scenes because I found it annoying that it happened literally anything Wonder Woman did something. Again, overall I liked the movie, but it was far from perfect.

Yeah, that became comedic after a while. I'm shocked they didn't use that when she was making tea.

Guy A. Person posted:

I dunno I can see "try defending the lamentations I loving dare you" being just a tad confrontational

Like if that's "discussing in a normal manner" I feel like the responses have been equally normal

Like I said, that post was embarrassing. The poster got way too uptight over a movie. That was far from normal.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Double post, sorry.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite subtitle in anything is still in Mass Effect 1, when a villain grunts in frustration. "Argh! Rawr! Argh!"

That was so good. And he's an intelligent super soldier!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
I will say watching the Snyder cut made me think worse of the Whedon version. I only saw the Whedon version once when it first came out and I remembered it as a 5/10 but now that I've seen Snyder's version I would downgrade the original Justice League to like a 2-3/10

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pitwar posted:

Its because people have been bizarrely hostile towards Snyder, his movies and the people that like them for years, and that defensiveness is a backlash against that. Being shot down, told you are wrong and then called a fascist, Randian, sexist or racist for expressing a positive opinion on any of his movies on Twitter or a message board is pretty standard. Having this movie land well feels like a vindication and now its cathartic to throw some poo poo back.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Guy A. Person posted:

Also being hyperbolic without being funny. Like, I dare critics to count how many times ancient lamentations actually pop up in the movie, I would be shocked if they needed two hands for it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gorn Myson posted:

Having this movie land well feels like a vindication and now its cathartic to throw some poo poo back.

But people were acting like this when MoS and BvS came out too.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Pitwar posted:

That isn’t what’s going on here - nobody has said that you're not allowed to dislike a 4:3 aspect ratio, the repeating usage of Wonder Woman's musical cue, excessive slo-mo usage or whatever. When people list reasons why these inclusions work, they're pushing against the notion by posters like Piell that they’re entirely iredeemable, a disgrace to film-making or whatever.

Piell posted:

We’re now in the phase of the conversation where it’s those people who do think any of these aspects are defensible and are willing to write about it are deemed Snyder stans who won’t allow ‘different opinions’ and refuse to acknowledge any defect in his films.

Try defending the leitmotif usage In In the Mood for Love, I loving dare you

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

stev posted:

Yeah no, the reason there is a snyder dome thread is because people who wanted to talk about snyder got quarantined into it, like the forums equivalent of a leper colony.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I think it's fair for people to say it distracted them or hindered some of Diana's moments. I find the subtitle meme to be a bit silly but nothing to be angry over.

For me, the only musical cue I'd change is the one over the Flash rescue. I probably would have kept it silent except for the slowed down sounds of like Barry's feet tearing up asphalt, metal crunching/grinding, and other sound effects. A minor nitpick though. Snyder loves music cues.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, I feel like there's been valid complaints all over the place, although tbf it's hard to track across 3 threads and the CD discord (where we were specifically critiquing the bad "Martha Manhunter" scene just a few minutes ago)

I feel like this instance was a complaint that got push back (from just a single poster initially), which lead to justifications of the complaint and then some discussion around it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stev posted:

It's a terrible burden being correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I suppose it would be useful to be more polite when correcting people who claim Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman aren't good