Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, I enjoyed the voice acting in the original Resident Evil 1 too, but I wouldn't call it good.
What even is good, when you’re trying to emulate a certain style not known for elite thespianism. “Good” voice acting would’ve made the game worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RE1 would legit not have been as memorable without the original voice acting

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What even is good, when you’re trying to emulate a certain style not known for elite thespianism. “Good” voice acting would’ve made the game worse.
I'm not sure I'd agree with that take. Resident Evil 4 has good voice-acting, because it doesn't sound stilted or choppy, for example. So does the RE2 remake. Resident Evil 1 has simply bad voice acting because it was audibly done by amateurs with no idea of what they were doing or how to make it sound good, and who were given no adequate acting direction. I do not believe for a moment that this was intentional, because the average crappy C-tier horror movie does not sound that bad.

It's entertaining in its characteristic badness, but it's fairly objectively voice acting of low quality.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 14, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The voice acting in RE4 is a perfect capture of stuff like how Leon is an action movie hero but also a tremendous goober. Taking the RE1 cast and having them deliver lines like "your right hand comes off?" would not have worked the same way, even if it might have had its own charms.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure I'd agree with that take. Resident Evil 4 has good voice-acting, because it doesn't sount stilted or choppy, for example. So does the RE2 remake. Resident Evil 1 has simply bad voice acting because it was audibly done by amateurs with no idea of what they were doing or how to make it sound good, and who were given no adequate acting direction. I do not believe for a moment that this was intentional, because the average crappy C-tier horror movie does not sound that bad.

It's entertaining in its characteristic badness, but it's fairly objectively voice acting of low quality.
Both those games are going for something completely different than RE1. Just look at the difference between Kendo in the original and the remake, which changed his whole thing from being essentially comedic to tragic.

As for the comparison of C-tier horror, the voice acting kinda follows the writing in being on another level. The two are in perfect harmony, while serious voice acting would've created a dissonance gamers would not have been able to overcome. Good acting is what touches the heart, and in that regard RE1 voice acting was an enormous success. That is not classically "good"/professional is immaterial.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Good acting is what touches the heart, and in that regard RE1 voice acting was an enormous success. That is not classically "good"/professional is immaterial.
That is a non-statement and under that kind of reasoning, nothing is ever good or bad and quality does not exist. It actively precludes any kind of meaningful discussion about the topic and it's not a position I'm willing to entertain, because I think artistic craft and skillful execution are real things and Resident Evil 1 does not have them. The idea that its awful voice acting 'touches the heart' is nothing more than your own nostalgia filter speaking. Not that I'm not nostalgic for it either, but I still believe that there's a difference between "I enjoy it" and "I think it is well-made."

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is it really controversial to think that RE1’s voice acting is entertaining in the same way as The Room and then paraphrase that as “good”?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not really, but they're two different things to me and I care enough about that subject to make a clear distinction between them. I would also say there's a between a book I enjoyed and a book that I thought was well-written, because I think it's insulting to any writer who cares about their craft when people conflate these things. It's just how I feel about it. :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ps1 re1 has the best voice acting in the series

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

site posted:

ps1 re1 has the best voice acting in the series

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LApirNkjPA
RE1 voice acting, finally put to its best possible use.

In all seriousness, I love the original Resident Evil 1 and I think the voice acting is part of the charm. It's just a personal hang-up for me to insist on the kind of difference I'm making, just ignore it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sakurazuka posted:

RE1 would legit not have been as memorable without the original voice acting

I hope this is not Chris' blood.

It might be better if you, the master of unlocking things, took this lockpick.

I mean, yeah, come on. Bad acting is a staple of the whole franchise, isn't it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's the difference between actual bad acting and intentional bad acting, both have their charms imo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

BiggerBoat posted:

I hope this is not Chris' blood.

It might be better if you, the master of unlocking things, took this lockpick.

I mean, yeah, come on. Bad acting is a staple of the whole franchise, isn't it?

BARRY!

We should report this to Wesker

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like OG live action Barry because he has a red beard like me. Apparently the actor was an Australian school principal

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's the difference between actual bad acting and intentional bad acting, both have their charms imo.
Yeah, this. From RE4 onward, the series hasn't had what I'd consider actual bad voice acting. RE4 is cheesy and hammy entirely by design and it pulls the tone off perfectly.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I don't know what triggered it on the last page, but something really made me think of Legendary Frog's "I Am Resident Evil" flash animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-lFuJUkx1k

Electromax
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/hatersgonnahate/status/1372341056784769027?s=20

Playing around with a look at the camera angles in the original RE2 for this place. I have a folder full of the ripped backdrops for a long time now but never actually tried to see if a feasible layout is possible. Wanted to try something besides a grid layout or whatever but I'm not sure about this either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thought folks here might be interested. gdq did a marathon a few days ago with some not-too-common categories, including a re0 run that made it it look sort of tolerable and the finale was a REmake rando race that was a pretty funny watch

https://twitch.tv/videos/948334887

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

site posted:

thought folks here might be interested. gdq did a marathon a few days ago with some not-too-common categories, including a re0 run that made it it look sort of tolerable and the finale was a REmake rando race that was a pretty funny watch

https://twitch.tv/videos/948334887

Oh cool, will pop this on next time I'm holed up in bed with a crushing sense of impending doom (probably tomorrow afternoon)

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
As I continue to irresponsibly do old RE games with no rhyme or reason, man, REmake is just perfect. I mean, not just through the lens of nostalgia. It's just quality for real. It's so good, even with me having to suffer through some difficulty because I don't have these games memorized, therefore it's actually pretty challenging in some respects.

Of particular interest though is the attempts to correct the bananas writing with less bonkers dialogue which turns out to be... not equally bonkers, but still quite bonkers. Very enjoyable.

It's a masterpiece, man. The REmake should be the template for this new movie, but I have a feeling it won't be. And they're saying they want to adapt 1 and 2 in the movie. So I have a meme of Marie Kondo that says: "I'm so excited because I love mess,"

This movie is going to be mess. I'm down.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Apparently it’s the 25th anniversary of the original Biohazard’s release. I guess there may or may not be cool news or announcements in the coming weeks?

Wow. What a mansion!

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
System requirements for Village are out, they are a bit of a doozy. I was hoping my computer would be able to handle it having played the remakes on ultra just fine but just going by what they're saying possibly not. Hope Capcom starts putting their stuff on Geforce Now again or I might be up poo poo creak for playing it since the new consoles are so hard to find as well.

Edit: Or not? I am bad at parsing system requirements apparently. For years my computer just ran everything so I didn't need to worry but that is becoming slightly not the case lately.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 22, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

man nurse posted:

Apparently it’s the 25th anniversary of the original Biohazard’s release. I guess there may or may not be cool news or announcements in the coming weeks?

Wow. What a mansion!

theres another showcase in april. we might get something today maybe, i remember reading they were planning on annoucements and such but who knows.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

surprise announcement that the mansion will be added to one of their soon-to-be-if-not-already dead multiplayer games

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/GeologyTime/status/1373982804657254406
I say we send it to Umbrella for testing

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
RESIDENT EVIL....ROCKS.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

RESIDENT EVIL....ROCKS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xuXkVzBdJQ

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Something on twitter about 8 having more weapons than 7.

Felt like 7 had a lot of weapons, but okay. I also saw a screencap of what looked like a trench gun? Or maybe I've had too many beers and it was just a normal Mossberg/870 type pump.

Looks interesting at any rate.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Danknificent posted:

Something on twitter about 8 having more weapons than 7.

Felt like 7 had a lot of weapons, but okay. I also saw a screencap of what looked like a trench gun? Or maybe I've had too many beers and it was just a normal Mossberg/870 type pump.

Looks interesting at any rate.

7 really had very few weapons. Three handguns (plus the Albert for NG), two shotguns, Grenade Launcher, submachine gun and home made flamethrower is it as far as ranged goes. Add the knife and circular saw for melee.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

7 really had very few weapons. Three handguns (plus the Albert for NG), two shotguns, Grenade Launcher, submachine gun and home made flamethrower is it as far as ranged goes. Add the knife and circular saw for melee.

I recently replayed it and thought there were too many but that was probably my anxiety about never wanting stash any of them in the item box and lugging all that poo poo around hogging up my inventory slots.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Isn't it kind of weird to call eight different weapons "very few" by Resident Evil game standards? I'm pretty sure there are more than a few entries to the series that have far less.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Gamesradar just did a great interview with Mikami.

I had no idea that Resident Evil saved Capcom from bankruptcy. I was under the impression that the company was in good shape during the mid-90s with all of those fighting games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

He’s right about the name.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't it kind of weird to call eight different weapons "very few" by Resident Evil game standards? I'm pretty sure there are more than a few entries to the series that have far less.

Counting both characters (which is fair, since one pistol and the SMG are Mia only in VII) and not endgame/unlockables:

Original RE1 has fewer - BERETTA, Shotgun, Magnum, Grenade Launcher - but I think it's the only one.
Original RE2 has the VP70 (Upgraded VP70), the Hi-Power, Bow Gun, Shotgun (Upgraded Shotgun), Flamethrower, SMG, Lightning Gun, Grenade Launcher, Magnum (Mugnum). Either 12 or 9 depending on how you count the upgrades.
Original RE3 has three pistols, two shotguns, an assault rifle, a grenade launcher, a magnum, and the mine thrower (9)

Obviously the counts balloon after that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yes but RE7 has by far the greatest number of weapons to types of enemies ratio :v:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Kibayasu posted:

He’s right about the name.

It's one of those phrases that's been in my brain for so long that it just seems like a thing that has meaning, but every once in a while I'll actually think about the words and it's real stupid.

RE7 uniting the two titles and having it make thematic sense was cool though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ten different weapons (I forgot to count the knife and saw) for RE7 seems like it's not really that little, then. Bit minimalistic, maybe, but I can't say the game was really any worse for it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

twelve weapons, you forgot the chainsaw and the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ethan [slapping upper arms]: Don't forget these guns I've got right here