Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I might stick with Charge Blade and dabble in Long Sword a lil. I was biiig on Great Sword in world, but playing around in GU, I found Charge Blade was a true crushing powerhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

ctrl-f "music"

No results found.

:mad:

I genuinely turn the music down on every game and play with just sound effects + the TV on. If the series' music is important to you, write something up and I'll add it to the reserved post!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

new kind of cat posted:

I tried out the hammer for the first time in the demo and holy lol those are some good rear end wirebug moves. I think that’s the fastest i flattened great izuchi on any weapon I’ve tried so far.

Can someone explain that charging mechanic though? Coming off of Charge Blade, those meters and colors made no sense to me.

Won’t know for sure until launch (unless this has been data mined?) but here’s the skinny on hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpVG-42ZMk

Basically, charged hammer is now a stance that gets you some new moves and you can swap between normal and charged. In World there was a bit more upkeep (and you’d lose it when hit or sheathed, I think) but you would get more damage and knockout damage from it. It’s not clear if that’s the case here in Rise as there’s no apparentl drawback to just switching to it and staying on it forever?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I haven't played any MH since shortly after Safi came out and I want to get Rise but I don't know when I'll have time to get to playing it (or finishing Fatalis and w/e else in World). Rise looks so good though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I am going to aggressively bonk gently pat monsters on the head until they fall asleep and after getting a good rest they'll give me all the random nice things they've found for me to make pants out of.

https://i.imgur.com/0Zb3J5B.mp4

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Really hoping the 30 second clips that the Switch can spit out are enough to see all sorts of cool MonHun stuff for most people that don't have setups that can run capture into a PC.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I always have fun with Charge Blade until I hit a monster that gives me trouble, then I feel like I'm spending way too much time in sword mode just trying to get hits in to build phials and it's not very satisfying. Maybe I should keep it as my backup weapon for farming monsters I've already figured out?

I've always loved Hunting Horn, I think I'll stick with that as my main even with the new version.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Idea: mod the hammer sound effects to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwxTZaa3NgI

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I have preloaded the game and I will probably go with Dual Blades again to start.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Won’t know for sure until launch (unless this has been data mined?) but here’s the skinny on hammer

Basically, charged hammer is now a stance that gets you some new moves and you can swap between normal and charged. In World there was a bit more upkeep (and you’d lose it when hit or sheathed, I think) but you would get more damage and knockout damage from it. It’s not clear if that’s the case here in Rise as there’s no apparentl drawback to just switching to it and staying on it forever?

Switching "down" from blue to yellow makes you dash forward a bit and instantly gives you a level 3 charge, so switching does have its uses (plus the level 3 charge attack is different between the stances).

Tender Bender posted:

I always have fun with Charge Blade until I hit a monster that gives me trouble, then I feel like I'm spending way too much time in sword mode just trying to get hits in to build phials and it's not very satisfying. Maybe I should keep it as my backup weapon for farming monsters I've already figured out?

I've always loved Hunting Horn, I think I'll stick with that as my main even with the new version.

In theory, the silkbind counter that instantly fills your phials when it absorbs an attack should help greatly with your complaint.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 22, 2021

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
edit: loving hell, accidentally double posted

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

ctrl-f "music"

No results found.

:mad:

This is one of my favorite songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-aP1FYxVc

Really captures the feel of a lively adventurer's tavern.

Huxley posted:

I genuinely turn the music down on every game and play with just sound effects + the TV on. If the series' music is important to you, write something up and I'll add it to the reserved post!

Monster Hunter is a game you can put thousands of hours into so any song can get old, but it really does have some of the best music in gaming imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1WROY6Os8

The tension, the drama! It's electrifying!

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 22, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Rise is so close!

Can we get a sound off on what weapon everyone is going to be starting with? Big CB main here

I will wind up playing CB the most out of any weapon but I think I'm going to use Switch Axe and Lance as I work my way through to whatever the postgame looks like.

Absolutely cannot wait for Rise

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

new kind of cat posted:

Can someone explain that charging mechanic though? Coming off of Charge Blade, those meters and colors made no sense to me.

If it's anything like world, there are three levels of charge.

Level 1 charge in world was a quick bonk (that could be turned into a combo starter for the fast five hit combo)
Level 2 was a short dash with an upswing bonk (good for hitting small fast dodgy things and Odogaron)
Level 3 charge was variable, with either a spinning overhead attack that ended in a really big hit (if you used it while not moving) or a horizontal spin that bopped the monster a bunch for little hits if you released the button while moving.

You can also activate power charge mode which slightly changes these attacks by charging and pushing 'b' (on an Xbox remote, dunno what that'll translate to on a Switch controller, but it's the rightmost of the face buttons, it's your 'heavy attack' button). Power charge mode boosts damage and makes the attack animations of your charged attacks slightly faster but you lose charged mode if you sheath or if the monster bumps into you. Fortunately you can reapply charge mode off any level of charge so it's incredibly easy to turn it back on any time you have your weapon drawn.

Other than that it's all about watching what the monster is doing and opportunistically taking any opening it gives you to give it a nice pat on the head. I dunno if the combos will be changing in Rise but the B->B->B->B->B (heavy attack button) big bang combo is a good heavy hitter if the monster has been downed, but if it wasn't friendly enough to fall over lie down for skritches with its head right next to you and you have to spend a lot of time moving you can (in World) get a slightly faster five hit with a L1 charge into a Y->Y->Y->Y (light attack button) combo that does slightly less damage but comes out a lot faster and (in world) ends with an upswing attack that's perfect for hitting tallboys and skyboys like Deviljho and Rathalos.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Once again I have no idea what weapon to main :supaburn:

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

suuma posted:

Dual Blades so you can naruto-run around the monster

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

suuma posted:

Lance. Laugh while blocking everything and poke mons in their faces.

Real talk: the moment MH clicked for me was when I learned lance.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m starting with Dual Blades because I’ve never really used them and it’s fun to learn new weapons.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Going Lance and LBG.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diephoon posted:

Monster Hunter is a game you can put thousands of hours into so any song can get old, but it really does have some of the best music in gaming imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ1WROY6Os8

The tension, the drama! It's electrifying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRTXlB6Ga54

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Oh god, are we going to have to deal with fleets of bombing bagels during the new siege mode?

e: The feeling you get when your regular hunt is interrupted by this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK-B8ReVvZE

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 22, 2021

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Diephoon posted:

The guild hall themes from 4u owned. Loved how there was multiple songs that rotated. I was real partial to this one because it was so different

https://youtu.be/ed1eTEYGAQU

I was disappointed when the guild hall from Gen was just one theme. Thankfully the airship from GU not only had multiple themes again but themes from older games you could play

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hope you make a return one day little guys!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Terminally Bored posted:

Lance. Laugh while blocking everything and poke mons in their faces.

Real talk: the moment MH clicked for me was when I learned lance.

Same. Lance will be my tryhard main in Rise, with Hunting Horn as secondary. I got into Horn in World after roughly 500 hours with Lance, and it really grew on me. New Horn loses the "I'm playing an instrument" feel (no more recital, flourish, hilt stab or complex note patterns), but its moveset has excellent enhancements, and the ease of playing songs will make it an even better support weapon. QTABing a Rathian out of the sky will feel as great as ever.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

suuma posted:

try all of them! it's free and easy!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Diephoon posted:

Oh god, are we going to have to deal with fleets of bombing bagels during the new siege mode?

I hope so, Bazel is a ton of fun to fight. Seething Bazel was such a huge downgrade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

I hope so, Bazel is a ton of fun to fight. Seething Bazel was such a huge downgrade.

As a melee player I appreciated Seething being manageable and having a cool ult but yeah the OG was a bigger threat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Bazel with Hammer was tense at first but he's got a surprising number of safe zones and a lot of what he does is very punishable if you know where to stand (ever so slightly to the left or right of his face). Earplugs helps immensely.

Seething, you can lie down and take a nap next to.

Edit: I enjoy fighting Kirin too, so it's possible I'm crazy.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 22, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChuKZ6-D6U

I really liked this theme - it's kind of oddly tucked away, and felt really different from a lot of the other stuff in World.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I like the music in World but it really reaches another level when you have your own playlist and a guitar solo or breakdown or chunky-rear end death metal riff lines up perfectly with an anjanath roar

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
some combo of CB, Gunlance, Hammer and GS. maybe pick up HBG this time since I've always ignored the guns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
gimme my greatsword or my switch axe any day

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I will doot and shoot just I like I did in World/Iceborne. :toot:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm not big into gunning but I hope that sticky LBG is still good in Rise. I enjoyed how easy and mindless it was in Iceborne for fights that are otherwise frustrating

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm gonna do what I did in World: dual blades, slam R2 and mash triangle and circle until either it dies or I die.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Framboise posted:

gimme my greatsword or my switch axe any day

Greatsword always, but i'll respect Capcom's effort to make the weapon fun to play and give Hunting Horn a serious go in Rise.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Huxley posted:

Monster Hunter: Rise
Nintendo Switch March 26, PC 2022
The newest mainline game, Rise combines a lot of quality-of-life upgrades people loved about World with an older-school aesthetic. The newest game in the series and the first proper new-gen MH game on the Switch, folks are very excited for the series to return to a handheld after the explosion in popularity and QoL from World.
What QoL stuff is Rise going to be missing, are there some bad old things I'm gonna be remembering soon?

(e) not posting a weapon i believe superior, i love all my sharp hunks of monster bits welded together

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

What QoL stuff is Rise going to be missing, are there some bad old things I'm gonna be remembering soon?

(e) not posting a weapon i believe superior, i love all my sharp hunks of monster bits welded together

Singleplayer and multiplayer progression being separate is the only big one I can think of. Coming from PC World going back to 1080p 30fps is an adjustment as well, though I know that doesn't bother everyone

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MMF Freeway posted:

Singleplayer and multiplayer progression being separate is the only big one I can think of. Coming from PC World going back to 1080p 30fps is an adjustment as well, though I know that doesn't bother everyone
That's not so bad. Long as the 30fps stays at 30fps I'm not bothered, and... honestly, playing campaign with friends in MHW was more pain than it was worth, so the two being apart again is almost a perk :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dunno if the video mentions it, and I may in fact be crazy, but pretty sure stance switching has iframes in it. I know I've dodged Mitzuzune's sweeping water beam by stance changing just before it hit me a couple times.