Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So, just to be clear, Desaad's name is a reference to the Marquis de Sade, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

PeterCat posted:

So, just to be clear, Desaad's name is a reference to the Marquis de Sade, right?

Yup.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The Hack Frauds have spoken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNp3Q0AfXRg

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

fatherboxx posted:

I think Snyder should do a musical one day

I was thinking exactly that while watching this Sucker Punch clip recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtN6MIf4JGo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

cargohills posted:

I was thinking exactly that while watching this Sucker Punch clip recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtN6MIf4JGo

Oscar Isaac owns so much

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

what did they say i ain't watching

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
They liked it.

Edit: Just to make this even clearer - the RLM guys have hated the Snyderverse films (and said the theatrical JL was better than the previous ones). They enjoyed this film.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 22, 2021

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh ok l will watch it then

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've only watched their Star Wars reviews, but the general sense I get from them is that they view genre movies as products to be assembled either correctly or incorrectly, and they probably consider Justice League more "correct" than something like BvS. I'll probably watch them because they've caught things before that I didn't in Rise Of Skywalker or whatever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Rogue One intro is one of the funniest things I've ever watched and it really shouldn't be

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

2house2fly posted:

I've only watched their Star Wars reviews, but the general sense I get from them is that they view genre movies as products to be assembled either correctly or incorrectly, and they probably consider Justice Lsague more "correct" than something like BvS. I'll probably watch them because they've caught things before that I didn't in Rise Of Skywalker or whatever

You are correct in that. Yet, they are willing to let loose and just gush over an entertaining and well-done film.

I guess the Snydeverse really got it's due now, since no one really knew what the aspirations for it was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
See, just a few minutes in they're making a good point about how the first big fight against Steppenwolf is about halfway through- a good place to split it and make a two-part movie, which (had they been interested in releasing a Zack Snyder movie, which obvs they weren't) would have been a great way to go

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

They're almost entirely positive about the snyder cut vs the theatrical though.

They really, really hate Whedon's additions and keep joking how it cost X MILLION DOLLARS for each bad joke.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
sigh... guess i have to watch the video if they rightfully poo poo on whedon.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Equeen posted:

sigh... guess i have to watch the video if they rightfully poo poo on whedon.

It's funny, they really poo poo on him a lot.

They seem to only really dislike the Snyder Cut's epilogue set after they win the battle and it's the post apocalyptic thing and the Joker is there that's really a big post-credits teaser

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sean10mm posted:

It's funny, they really poo poo on him a lot.

They seem to only really dislike the Snyder Cut's epilogue set after they win the battle and it's the post apocalyptic thing and the Joker is there that's really a big post-credits teaser

I totally get that, the Epilogue might as well just be Snyder dumping a bunch of post-credit teasers for stuff that's never going to get made, it's total indulgence (but as a fan, the best kind)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
"Zack Snyder does not give a gently caress about normal people." -Jay

He said that about the Snyder Cut, and Snyder superheroe movies in general, has the problem with Heroes being treated as gods and regular people get shafted.

I guess Superman saving the world in MOS and sacrificing himself in BvS doesn't count.

The flash and cyborg helping the scientists doesn't count.

Like what does he want, does he want Batman telling the police to go help people like Captain America does in Avengers?

I'm glad they liked it overall but..:sigh:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They essentially recant nothing about their MoS/BvS opinions, but also accurately poo poo on every change from the Snyder Cut to the theatrical.

e: It's almost like they have a fixed threshold for (stylistic, mostly) "gloom" in comic book movies, and since the Snyder Cut was a little lighter it became disproportionately more accessible for them.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Seems like it's the most you'll get out of those guys, and surprising that they'd praise it at all.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
My wife and I watched two hours of this last night, and I don't remember the previous version much, other than it was messy, boring and drab. This one is actually pretty awesome and the action scenes are great. Also, Wonder Woman is cool again, because in that latest movie she is super lame.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Superman coming back evil isn't an excuse for a fight! It's a test of faith! Batman sees the Knightmare happen right in front of his eyes, Superman is brutalising the whole Justice League, this is the worst possible outcome, but he still has faith that things will turn out right. It's important that both before and after the fight he says he's acting on faith. Zack Snyder's Superman is an embodiment of "the people" and by trusting him Batman is trusting the people.

Also: oh my god does Superman really refer to people as "civilians" in Josstice League? Holy gently caress!

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Miching Mallecho posted:

"Zack Snyder does not give a gently caress about normal people." -Jay

He said that about the Snyder Cut, and Snyder superheroe movies in general, has the problem with Heroes being treated as gods and regular people get shafted.

I guess Superman saving the world in MOS and sacrificing himself in BvS doesn't count.

It's a wierd complaint when the snydercut is full of scenes where the heroes are shown to care about normal people. Not just more so than in the whedon version, but above average for the genre too, I'd argue.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I hope one day the goon obsession with RLM will end regardless of their opinions on specific movies, it's kind of a bad look to still be watching them if you've ever seen their masks fully slip.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Crespolini posted:

It's a wierd complaint when the snydercut is full of scenes where the heroes are shown to care about normal people. Not just more so than in the whedon version, but above average for the genre too, I'd argue.

He doesn't identify with the struggling single mother. It would be more accurate for this youtube critic to say: "Zack Snyder does not give a gently caress about me."

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hope one day the goon obsession with RLM will end regardless of their opinions on specific movies, it's kind of a bad look to still be watching them if you've ever seen their masks fully slip.

Whats the problem with them? I watched the phantom menace video that got them popular yeearrs ago but couldn't really be bothered to watch anything else.

I'm going to just guess that as youtube stars they're all skeezy creeps.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aidan_702 posted:

Whats the problem with them? I watched the phantom menace video that got them popular yeearrs ago but couldn't really be bothered to watch anything else.

I'm going to just guess that as youtube stars they're all skeezy creeps.

There's a bread crumb trail of internet misogyny in particular that fully came off during the Brie Larson "controversy" (controversial with no one but white dudes who watch kids' movies), and they have extremely sheltered midwestern white dudely opinions about why you would put POCs in your movies. Just to name a couple of things.

But if you're not convinced of any of that, generally it's just reviewing stuff every member of their audience has already seen and giving completely unadventurous opinions about them that amount to I Liked Good Thing or Disliked Bad Thing. After a point the gimmick is boring and there's no real discussion or insight happening. Like the deepest into the pool you will get is 80's film canon for young boys. It's very good at reconfirming the opinions of their fandom and that's about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sean10mm posted:

They're almost entirely positive about the snyder cut vs the theatrical though.

They really, really hate Whedon's additions and keep joking how it cost X MILLION DOLLARS for each bad joke.

That's nice.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Crespolini posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but I don't think the "concern" is about whether or not the heroes care about normal people, but whether or not the movie cares, if that makes sense? Like, showing heroes saving people is still focusing on the heroes. I think whether or not that matters is extremely arguable but I think the point is slightly different from what you're saying.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The bits with young Cyborg in the principal's office and then later with the evicted waitress are the most "Superheroes caring about average people" I've seen in a comic book movie in years tbqh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but I don't think the "concern" is about whether or not the heroes care about normal people, but whether or not the movie cares, if that makes sense? Like, showing heroes saving people is still focusing on the heroes. I think whether or not that matters is extremely arguable but I think the point is slightly different from what you're saying.

Yeah I agree with this and tbf Justice League in particular is less oriented toward the heroics of regular people (since it's an ensemble super hero movie with 5 super characters and a bunch of other supernatural support to boot), tho you still have Silas, Lois and Alfred contributing pretty significantly. The previous Snyder movies and particularly Man of Steel are even more blatantly about the heroism of normal people tho: Pa Kent's sacrifice, Martha's ability to help Clark focus, Perry and newsroom guy staying to help Jenny etc.

Like this stuff is all over those other movies, it's a serious blind-spot to miss it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I really don't get the take that Man of Steel is excessively GRIMDARK in particular. It's almost all in broad daylight, good beats evil, the hero gets the girl, humanity is largely shown in a positive way. The bad guys are militaristic space eugenicists so it's not like they *shouldn't* gently caress off forever either.

I do think the final battle runs on too long but Superman tries to take the fight into SPACE and people are bitching he doesn't try to prevent casualties?

BvS being grim I at least get from the aesthetic and them killing Superman at the end. But MoS?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sean10mm posted:

I really don't get the take that Man of Steel is excessively GRIMDARK in particular. It's almost all in broad daylight, good beats evil, the hero gets the girl, humanity is largely shown in a positive way. The bad guys are militaristic space eugenicists so it's not like they *shouldn't* gently caress off forever either.

I do think the final battle runs on too long but Superman tries to take the fight into SPACE and people are bitching he doesn't try to prevent casualties?

BvS being grim I at least get from the aesthetic and them killing Superman at the end. But MoS?

I've always found it completely baffling as well. MoS is incredibly optimistic, probably the most optimistic cape flick to date. It's just that Clark actually has to work through some pretty heavy poo poo to win out and doesn't make many quips while doing it.

I think "actual stakes = GRIMDARK" to a lot of people

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think there is a kind of feeling of listlessness in Snyder's movies. You get a lot of people who are not superheroes or superheroes in everything but costume (Lois, Alfred) kind of lead these put upon mediocre lives. Smallville is a really good example. It's not this idealistic smalltown anymore. It's a bit desolate, more big box stores.

I'm not sure if that ever worked for me in MoS and BvS, but it definitely shines in that one moment where Cyborg helps the lady. I think someone said something about it being an example of Cyborg not understanding institutional injustice, but I disagree. This lady isn't being hounded by the mob or attacked by killer clowns or in immediate danger. She's just this normal woman being slowly crushed by the world itself. You see it reflected in Cyborg's flashback when he hacks to help fix the girl's grades. He's saving someone from not active cruelty, but indifference.

SZ Justice League isn't a really good movie, but I feel like there is an amazing Cyborg movie in there. I really hope him and Fisher just work on their own thing.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 22, 2021

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Darkseid’s design makes him look like an old balding guy with a chinstrap beard.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sean10mm posted:

It just has a darker color palette than most of the really popular MCU movies. The colorful palette critics of these movies claimed they wanted was what happened in the theatrical version of justice league. Just looking straight up like a TV series on the CW or something.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Superhero films are expected to be serviceable nonconfrontational entertainment, and that's the opposite of what MoS was trying to be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Trying to locate the problem in the actual contents and properties of the movies is a waste of time. The people you're arguing with mostly don't know or care what they are either.

e: Like there are fair criticisms of any and all of them, but anyone talking about "grimdark" or objectivist Superman or whatever can be traced back to some moronic outrage farmer on YouTube.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 22, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

The snydercut is a strange movie but there is nothing like it, so it is still a success and is going to have a very interesting legacy in movie history.

I think Snyder should do a musical one day - his too-earnest style is, in the end, unfit for action blockbusters (or "action" because for Marvel action scenes are an afterthought), but would be at home where being dumb and honest and over-the-top is the norm. Sucker Punch is almost a jukebox musical but it is held back by trying to be an epic thirsty gamer film first and foremost (also ugly as sin).

They are the reason that like 3/4 of comic book movies are hopelessly embarrassed of their roots.
You might've thought that kind of talk would die off after a movie about a purple man with INFINITE GAUNTLET (a magic glove with infinite powers) made all the money in the world but nah.
But truth be told, Kirby was mocked during the original run of New Gods as a washed artist and it took until late 80s for Fourth World and his other 70s stuff to be properly celebrated.

Your username makes me think you’re suspiciously biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
i thought the whedon version was fine and i couldn't see how this would be much different since the shape of the story would be the same, but until watching it i didn't realize the biggest thing whedon cut was every possible cyborg scene he could, no wonder the actor was pissed

i also respect that zack snyder just kind of accepts that (other than the flash) none of these living gods even try to be relatable or normal people

i guess i'm snyderpilled now???????????