Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

soggybagel posted:

I haven't listened to the episode but I do love how on here and on reddit when someone doesn't do gangbusters the default is "they must be bad at improv." As opposed to improv is an imperfect type of comedy so sometimes you just have a dud. Like earlier in this thread where its like Ego is bad at improv which is by nature of her career demonstrably un-true.

OK as I was the one who said maybe it's not her strong suit... she just seemed to come in incredibly unprepared. As Terror said, her entire thing was 'a new mother', but there was no detail and no twist. It was literally "I've recently had a child" and then said nothing beyond bringing up that she wasn't sure who kids books were aimed at after getting pushed (even Scott was like 'well I've got nothing'), in the end Dan took over her spot and she seemed a little more engaged then in asking questions. I'm willing to take Sunshine's word that she was good on other shows over many years, and as said she's good on AP Bio... so maybe a late addition? Just a bad day? Wasn't able to get the vibe going on Zoom? Had a really tough act to follow? Who knows. Certainly happy to hear her come on again with something else.

FWIW I like Ego's improv, she kinda goes down the same path too often but when she doesn't she can be really funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Don't take it personally because I was really speaking generally here. As I said I haven't listened to it. Its very possible she is terrible in this episode.

My point was just that you can never have a 100 percent hit rate in improv and its funny to read comments like "X person is bad at improv" when 9 out of 10 times its demonstrably untrue. Like X person performed improv at UCB for 7 years and is on a sitcom now would indicate to me that actually, they're probably pretty good at improv.

Again the caveat would be I've heard people totally phone in appearances or just eat poo poo. And on top of that someone might just not be your cup of tea. This is more of a reddit/earwolf forums thing but it would crack me up when I read random comments of people who were doing weird deep dives explaining why they just aren't particularly good about people who's career is comedy. Thats all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No it was a fair comment, so I just felt I should expand on why I felt that way. In retrospect, Scott is so far in running this show now it makes no sense for him to book someone who isn't well versed in the type of comedy he runs with as we all know how that can end.

It's definitely worth listening to the episode for sure, lots of laugh out loud moments. The bits we're referencing last literally 5 minutes really, and probably wasn't worth bringing up.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

OK as I was the one who said maybe it's not her strong suit... she just seemed to come in incredibly unprepared. As Terror said, her entire thing was 'a new mother', but there was no detail and no twist. It was literally "I've recently had a child" and then said nothing beyond bringing up that she wasn't sure who kids books were aimed at after getting pushed (even Scott was like 'well I've got nothing'), in the end Dan took over her spot and she seemed a little more engaged then in asking questions. I'm willing to take Sunshine's word that she was good on other shows over many years, and as said she's good on AP Bio... so maybe a late addition? Just a bad day? Wasn't able to get the vibe going on Zoom? Had a really tough act to follow? Who knows. Certainly happy to hear her come on again with something else.

FWIW I like Ego's improv, she kinda goes down the same path too often but when she doesn't she can be really funny.

Shot in the dark but what was the episode where the first thing the second fake guest says is "Im pregnant!" ?
E: huh that was easier to find than I thought.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj1O9Ui6Bc4

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love how Paul is our representation in the room on that one. It still would’ve been funny if they just went ‘oh!’ and carried on, but hearing him howl away just adds so much.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love how Paul is our representation in the room on that one. It still would’ve been funny if they just went ‘oh!’ and carried on, but hearing him howl away just adds so much.

Yeah. It puts it over the top. It was funny but Paul's reaction highlighted why it was funny. Hearing him lose it just points to how it's funnier in an improv sense. I'm explaining this poorly.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Mary Holland just excels at chaos. Her best characters are the barely formed ones who just fall head first into the show and bring nothing but insanity. She did the same thing when she was regularly on I4H.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More of an I4H diacussion, but Holland is easily a top 10 improviser in my book, if not top 5. Along with Daly, McKenna, Gemberling, Gabrus, Cordero, Morris, Tarver, Huskey, and Casey.

...and Hines and Lippert. And Meadows. Okay, that was much harder than I thought, there are just so many fantastic performers with such different styles.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Mary Holland's pregnant character is an all timer, up there with Lil Button Puss as one my favorite moments. The ep with Mary benefitted from having Tatiana Maslany and Kristian Bruun, who are great guests. Scott making fun of Kristian's lovely plays is nearly as funny as Mary's introduction.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Live At Five! posted:

Scott making fun of Kristian's lovely plays is nearly as funny as Mary's introduction.

"This is for kids? This is for dumbshits and kids."

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

feedmyleg posted:

More of an I4H diacussion, but Holland is easily a top 10 improviser in my book, if not top 5. Along with Daly, McKenna, Gemberling, Gabrus, Cordero, Morris, Tarver, Huskey, and Casey.

...and Hines and Lippert. And Meadows. Okay, that was much harder than I thought, there are just so many fantastic performers with such different styles.

Yeah that's a great list. The Mopes trilogy is one of the best things I4H has ever done.

I've just searched for Mary Holland on stitcher in the past because if I just need something funny to listen to for an hour get me Holland.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Mary's episode on Shaun Diston's podcast is pretty great, and it features another one of the great improv character names, Junie Marxism.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

todays ep is pretty great. if youre ever feeling suicidal let kevin spaceys christmas messages cheer you up

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I feel like Ego does the exact same voice for almost every character. Like you could take a random snippet from any of her appearances and not be able to identify the character.

I won't say she's bad at improv because I don't know poo poo about improv but I almost never find her funny. Different strokes and all that.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

FitFortDanga posted:

I feel like Ego does the exact same voice for almost every character. Like you could take a random snippet from any of her appearances and not be able to identify the character.

Pretend I posted a clip of her Gollum here.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Sarah Chalke is a fun guest.

Also, Deb Tunt is a total Mary Holland name. Katie Rich killed it.

Good episode.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's always great when the guest is completely down to join in

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah that was a great episode! Seems like so many of the non-improv guests just check out when things get goofy but she was awesome. Hopefully she becomes a friend of the show (is that the term for 2+ episode guests?).

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Neil Campbell on this week's episode is... rather good.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004
Does anyone know in which episode Gordon Ramsay visits and finds cum or something inside the microphones, but then it turns out he put it there? I can't find it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Saerdna posted:

Does anyone know in which episode Gordon Ramsay visits and finds cum or something inside the microphones, but then it turns out he put it there? I can't find it

Episode 212. James Adomian played Ramsay, and according to the wiki he only did it once

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Episode 212. James Adomian played Ramsay, and according to the wiki he only did it once

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I didn't find a clip of that particular segment

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Saerdna posted:

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately I didn't find a clip of that particular segment

I got you a present
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57WuodQ_2-E

Just the first segment, but you get the gist. This episode also had a lot of ads for Louis CK's new special lol. Scott's friend, Earwolf favourite, everyone loves him, Louis CK.

Saerdna
Aug 8, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I got you a present
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57WuodQ_2-E

Just the first segment, but you get the gist. This episode also had a lot of ads for Louis CK's new special lol. Scott's friend, Earwolf favourite, everyone loves him, Louis CK.

Finally, thanks! That Gordon Ramsay is a bad guy!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

there have been so many good james adomian characters but I don't think I have heard gordon ramsey that was amazing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I loving love how much Scott loves the Al A. Peterson backstory. When he basically had to say to Gilly "don't distract him, let's get back to the sniveling worm" had me howling.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Has anyone edited together all of the times Scott has forced Rob Heubel and Thomas Lennon to read through the script of the first episode.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

"I was just thinking of Mr. Show the other day"

"Really, were you thinking of January 6th?"

"I was thinking about -- that was exac -- I was thinking about..."

👀weren't we all.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

piratepilates posted:

"I was just thinking of Mr. Show the other day"

"Really, were you thinking of January 6th?"

"I was thinking about -- that was exac -- I was thinking about..."

👀weren't we all.

Oh jeez, is that confirmation that the guy really was Jay Johnston?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mons Hubris posted:

Oh jeez, is that confirmation that the guy really was Jay Johnston?

Enough people who know him have tweeted saying that he was there at the day (I think one person, I forget who, implied he was having a hard time with drugs, but I could be wrong) that he was probably there at the day. Doesn't necessarily mean he actually stormed the building, but he seems to have been there that day.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm not really sure any more confirmation is necessary if a bunch of his peers say it was him. There's more than enough toxicity in the comedy community to make it plenty plausible.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

There's more than enough toxicity in the comedy community to make it plenty plausible.

Speaking of, Thomas Middleditch made headlines again yesterday...but not the good kind, like you want.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

JethroMcB posted:

Speaking of, Thomas Middleditch made headlines again yesterday...but not the good kind, like you want.

This might be the brakes for his career

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I’ve thought middleditch was a creep ever since he said he pressured his wife into opening up their marriage

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I had no idea that people were still onboard the Middleditch train after that interview. I'm baffled that people are only getting offboard now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

I’ve thought middleditch was a creep ever since he said he pressured his wife into opening up their marriage

Let's just say, having read into it and a few accounts of people that worked for/with him, that's barely the tip of the iceberg. Dude's a super creep.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have a confession: I've never seen Silicon Valley and I only really know Middleditch from CBB, and because of that I sometimes confuse him with Zach Reino for some reason.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Apparently I can't listen to She Wants Revenge now either...:(

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

AndrewP posted:

I remember somebody calling me an idiot in this very thread for caring about that lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Yeah this is totally unsurprising to me after that. Not that everyone who's into poly is a creep, but he specifically seemed to be approaching it in a way that made his partner uncomfortable, and was bragging about it despite also saying she wouldn't want that, so it didn't seem like consent was necessarily his top priority.