Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there is a kind of feeling of listlessness in Snyder's movies. You get a lot of people who are not superheroes or superheroes in everything but costume (Lois, Alfred) kind of lead these put upon mediocre lives. Smallville is a really good example. It's not this idealistic smalltown anymore. It's a bit desolate, more big box stores.

This is what actually happened to small towns. If Snyder's most "realistic" movies - where he deliberately tries to introduce Real Life Stuff - have feelings of listlessness, what does that tell you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

smug n stuff posted:

Like, showing heroes saving people is still focusing on the heroes.

I do not understand what this means. What would the hypothetical alternative be? Is there a good example of it?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mandrel posted:

I do not understand what this means. What would the hypothetical alternative be? Is there a good example of it?

I believe they mean that the movie would show the people hugging and sighing in relief afterwards, instead of Snyder usually focusing on the hero zooming off to the next problem. Some people want to see the good guys eat that hero cake.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Darkseid’s design makes him look like an old balding guy with a chinstrap beard.

Yeah it rocks.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there is a kind of feeling of listlessness in Snyder's movies. You get a lot of people who are not superheroes or superheroes in everything but costume (Lois, Alfred) kind of lead these put upon mediocre lives. Smallville is a really good example. It's not this idealistic smalltown anymore. It's a bit desolate, more big box stores.

Hell and welcome to modern between-the-coasts America. We live in a world of fear and doubt, and one of the main problems Superman has to overcome is that no one believes he could be acting without some nefarious ulterior motive.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is what actually happened to small towns. If Snyder's most "realistic" movies - where he deliberately tries to introduce Real Life Stuff - have feelings of listlessness, what does that tell you?
I'm not really sure what you're fishing for here.

I wasn't listing it as a critique, just stating how Snyder deals with normal people in his stories. Saying he doesn't care about them is incorrect and is definitely not true in JL. In MoS and BvS, I don't think the motif necessarily develops into a coherent theme for me as much as it does with Cyborg's story.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Darkseid’s design makes him look like an old balding guy with a chinstrap beard.

Alex Ross riffed on that in Kingdom Come with Orion.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mandrel posted:

I imagine something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LuBXWIf9zA&t=20s

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The anti-life equation was in the IHOP the whole time

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mandrel posted:

I said above but I think the idea is, normal people just in general taking part in the story. Justice League is the weakest of the trilogy in that aspect but it's because you have 5 super teamers, Atlanteans, Amazonians, etc to cover, and while you still have Lois, Martha, Silas, the scientists and Alfred, they are a smaller ratio than in an average super hero movie. By the same token the last two Avenger's movies are stuffed to the gills with supers because it's the grand finale crossover, although they arguably have even fewer normal humans from what I recall.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The anti-life equation was in the Waffle House the whole time

Fixed this to make it far more believable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RBA Starblade posted:

And the Zeo crystal is under the Dunkin Donuts

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

Honestly, that'd be a really good take. Retail work as a life without hope. Consumerist mediocrity as hell.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 22, 2021

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, that'd be a really good take.
Anti-life has legitimately always had a connection to consumerism at least in Kirby and Morrison's work.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, that'd be a really good take. Retail work as a life without hope. Consumerist mediocrity as hell.

They should have done a deal with Waffle House or IHOP to stamp an imprint of the anti life equation on every pancake they serve

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

smug n stuff posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but I don't think the "concern" is about whether or not the heroes care about normal people, but whether or not the movie cares, if that makes sense? Like, showing heroes saving people is still focusing on the heroes. I think whether or not that matters is extremely arguable but I think the point is slightly different from what you're saying.

Well, I suppose. But then I'd like to know which are the movies that do this "right", so to speak.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gatts posted:

They should have done a deal with Waffle House or IHOP to stamp an imprint of the anti life equation on every pancake they serve

It'd have to be IHOP because Waffle House is Life.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Crespolini posted:

Well, I suppose. But then I'd like to know which are the movies that do this "right", so to speak.

I think the Nolan movies do a pretty good job of this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm not really sure what you're fishing for here.

I wasn't listing it as a critique, just stating how Snyder deals with normal people in his stories. Saying he doesn't care about them is incorrect and is definitely not true in JL. In MoS and BvS, I don't think the motif necessarily develops into a coherent theme for me as much as it does with Cyborg's story.

You said the movies seem listless and cited Smallville's de-evolution to an emptier big box parking lot. Also that Alfred and Lois seem to lead mediocre lives. So knowing what we know - that Snyder believes that heroes should be couched in a more realistic, less fantastic setting - what does it mean that Smallville has been economically damaged and that nobody "normal" seems happy with their lives? Is Snyder being dour and manufacturing a more dismal world, or...?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Retrowave Joe posted:

It'd have to be IHOP because Waffle House is Life.

There are some professionals who use Waffle House as an indicator of economy or quality of life where if they shut down or close for prolonged periods you know poo poo got real.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You said the movies seem listless and cited Smallville's de-evolution to an emptier big box parking lot. Also that Alfred and Lois seem to lead mediocre lives. So knowing what we know - that Snyder believes that heroes should be couched in a more realistic, less fantastic setting - what does it mean that Smallville has been economically damaged and that nobody "normal" seems happy with their lives? Is Snyder being dour and manufacturing a more dismal world, or...?

That's literally just a more realistic depiction of modern day Smallville. The idyllic American small town was always a myth, and nowadays stretches credulity to breaking point.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Superman dying and his mom having to move into a studio apartment next to the IHOP where she works is the realest thing that's ever been in a comic book movie

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Horizon Burning posted:

this actually threw me, too. i assume it was something under the temple of athena or whatever.

what gave you any reason to believe that desaad and darkseid cared about Steppenwolf at all? the tragic element of his character is that his loyalty to their cause is far greater to their consideration for him. 'the thing about loyalty to a cause is that the cause will always betray you.'

It just would have been better if they showed where she actually went to get there. A secret door/floor opening or something.

And I guess I expected Steppenwolf to not be so dumb as to annihilate himself to “prove his worth” so to speak. He seemed like he wanted to be right hand man again, not dead.

Lord Krangdar posted:

2. The Mother Boxes don't just destroy. They can terraform, reconfigure, and recreate. At one point when the heroes discuss using the boxes to resurrect Superman they say the power of the boxes could, for example, turn the smoke and ash of a burnt down house back into a normal house. So presumably, they could return Earth back to its ancient form, when the Anti-Life Equation was written on its surface.

From Barry’s perspective it looked to be destroying and from the prologue, it was just going to recreate Darkseid’s planet in its place. There didn’t seem to be an active direction from anyone to recreate Earth from the old times so they could view the equation. I guess this whole anti-life equation wasn’t clear either. I saw an omega symbol when he hit the ground, so was that supposed to be part of it or just what happens when you moltenize the surface with the axe or an indicator that it was located there somewhere? You say it’s written on the planet, I didn’t get that kind of understanding from the movie. It seemed more like a hidden object the way it was discussed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like that polymorphed Martha Kent has a dramatically overexaggerated Kansas vocal twang because MMH is a dweeb.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 22, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

I said above but I think the idea is, normal people just in general taking part in the story. Justice League is the weakest of the trilogy in that aspect but it's because you have 5 super teamers, Atlanteans, Amazonians, etc to cover, and while you still have Lois, Martha, Silas, the scientists and Alfred, they are a smaller ratio than in an average super hero movie.

The shift in Justice League is that these are the normal people now. Like, okay, Aquaman's fully living life of a pagan god and Bruce Wayne's obscenely rich, but the rest of the team is:

-Immigrant woman coping with grief and social isolation.
-Unemployed neuroatypical dude, with dad in jail.
-Physically disabled college student.

They have zany abilities, but they're not really living that god life. Diana's doing better than most, though, which is why she's trying to help the others.

The role of the 'unpowered' humans is mainly to emphasize that not much has actually changed after Superman's death. Like, the little scene where Lois buys coffee shows us there's still class disparity and, y'know, police. The bank took Martha's house, and things just keep slogging along.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I laughed at Bruce buying the bank instead of just paying off Ma Kent’s mortgage like the rich billionaire piece of poo poo he is.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Has anyone managed to see the new, REMASTERD BvS Ultimate edition?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
As a scoffer at the idea of the Snyder Cut for years, I'm eating some crow over here. That was a pretty darn good movie. How about that.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Hell and welcome to modern between-the-coasts America. We live in a world of fear and doubt, and one of the main problems Superman has to overcome is that no one believes he could be acting without some nefarious ulterior motive.

Honestly this seems like a more accurate reflection of America at this point than traditional superman stuff. Everyone is suspicious of everyone else being a secret self-serving double agent that is only putting on a good show for social media.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The shift in Justice League is that these are the normal people now. Like, okay, Aquaman's fully living life of a pagan god and Bruce Wayne's obscenely rich, but the rest of the team is:

-Immigrant woman coping with grief and social isolation.
-Unemployed neuroatypical dude, with dad in jail.
-Physically disabled college student.

They have zany abilities, but they're not really living that god life. Diana's doing better than most, though, which is why she's trying to help the others.

The role of the 'unpowered' humans is mainly to emphasize that not much has actually changed after Superman's death. Like, the little scene where Lois buys coffee shows us there's still class disparity and, y'know, police. The bank took Martha's house, and things just keep slogging along.

That's kind of a theme with a lot of them really. Batman is mentally ill, with basically untreated PTSD being just the start of it (BvS strongly implies alcoholism and drug addiction), and Superman is an adopted neuroatypical-coded immigrant orphan.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I don't think Lois and Alfred lead mediocre lives, I think they're basically on the same playingfield as Superman and Lois.

But yeah, I get it, small town America died. I'm not critiquing Snyder for showing people living listless lives. I am arguing that he definitely has a clear point of view for who the non-superheroes in his films are. It's silly to say he doesn't care about them. I don't know if he necessarily carries that point of view forward in a cohesive way, but I do really like that Cyborg scene.

Also, your posts are kind of condescending.

EDIT: Like if you have a bigger insight on what that motif means for BvS and MoS, just name it.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 22, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Asteroid Alert posted:

The original Ultimate Edition did not switch back and forth between regular and IMAX aspect ratio, but the new iTunes version does. From scrolling through it briefly, Knightmare, and the title fight, are both in 4:3-ish IMAX aspect ratio. I couldn't tell you if the colors are better, because come on it's on a lovely ipad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

fishing with the fam posted:

As a scoffer at the idea of the Snyder Cut for years, I'm eating some crow over here. That was a pretty darn good movie. How about that.

It was certainly better than BvS, which I was not expecting.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I like that polymorphed Martha Kent has a dramatically overexaggerated Kansas vocal twang because MMH is a dweeb.

That was a great touch by Diana Lane

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, okay, Aquaman's fully living life of a pagan god

I love this, and stuff like the crowd reaching out to touch Superman in BvS

Has this been a thing in superhero movies? At the very least there should be cults forming around Thor, surely

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Crespolini posted:

I love this, and stuff like the crowd reaching out to touch Superman in BvS

Has this been a thing in superhero movies? At the very least there should be cults forming around Thor, surely

I don't know if this is the thing you're in fact referring to but in one the spider-man films there's a building in the background that says 'the korean church of asguard'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Blood Boils posted:

That was a great touch by Diana Lane

Thought for the day: They should have made Martha Kent Martian Manhunter

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Oh poo poo, everyone get ready to change their opinion.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Aidan_702 posted:

I don't know if this is the thing you're in fact referring to but in one the spider-man films there's a building in the background that says 'the korean church of asguard'

ha, that's kinda great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Asteroid Alert posted:

Yep!

It looks fantastic. The IMAX sequences are gorgeous and the general recoloring is very nice. I think its the first IMAX blockbuster release thats kept the full aspect ratio at 4:3 too. Ive only ever seen IMAX stuff at 16:9 on bluray releases.