Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Andy Dufresne posted:

There's a very popular youtube channel about collecting any out of print magic cards to speculate on their future price, and the guy also does the same with collector's editions of any popular game. I suspect he's attracted a fair amount of copycats and combined with the everything bubble (btc, nfts, $TSLA, and so on) this is the result.

Is that this guy? I found him I think through this thread about a year ago and I have no idea how he does it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuNRIcDoho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Yeah, I have basically no interest in what he does but YouTube recommended him and I probably watched 20 of them last year. It's an interesting peek into another world

Andy Dufresne fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 22, 2021

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

lament.cfg posted:

I don't get it either. Scorpion is way better than Sub-Zero.

:wrong:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There was some special edition of a game a couple years ago (halo?) that came with a miniature plastic helmet, reddit was in an uproar because the bag to carry the plastic helmet was a poorer quality piece of polyester crap than they thought it would be - but the real scam is spending several hundreds of dollars on a video game.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think fallout 76 had that too

Canvas bag vs nylon

I mean buying the game itself was bwm

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

evilpicard posted:

There was some special edition of a game a couple years ago (halo?) that came with a miniature plastic helmet, reddit was in an uproar because the bag to carry the plastic helmet was a poorer quality piece of polyester crap than they thought it would be - but the real scam is spending several hundreds of dollars on a video game.

Sounds like Fallout 76 and Bethesda's decision to burn a lot of goodwill. Especially scummy was that they sent actual canvas bags to reviewers and influencers, just not to paying customers.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Fallout 76 was a clusterfuck in every sense of the word. Here's the best recap of it I've seen, including the failed merch tie ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

lament.cfg posted:

I don't get it either. Scorpion is way better than Sub-Zero.

In a thread designed to post idiocy you have to keep it realistic. This is just over the top dumb.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Andy Dufresne posted:

Every time I see a post about motorcycles in this thread I start to think that selling motorcycles might be a dream job

And you don't even have to live in a desolate oil town (selling trucks)!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Residency Evil posted:

And you don't even have to live in a desolate oil town (selling trucks)!
Hey now, you can also sell trucks if you're near a military base. :colbert:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The cat helmet was for Halo 3, but that didn't come with a bag.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Haifisch posted:

Hey now, you can also sell trucks if you're near a military base. :colbert:
If you want a laugh, get a quote on a Jeep Wrangler in a military town.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Or a Mustang.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Andy Dufresne posted:

There's a very popular youtube channel about collecting any out of print magic cards to speculate on their future price, and the guy also does the same with collector's editions of any popular game. I suspect he's attracted a fair amount of copycats and combined with the everything bubble (btc, nfts, $TSLA, and so on) this is the result.

I can't imagine a scenario where a plastic Sub-Zero helmet is worth enough on resale to justify a $900 purchase. Is it going to sell for $2k in a year? Could this one guy be driving over a 100k people to spend that kind of money in the hopes of a making a profit selling to the same people who watch his channel?

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I think the $900 price indicates nobody wants to sell, not that there are buyers willing to pay that much. The idea behind sitting on these boxes is that the game might become hugely popular and in several years people will want the collector's items because they loved the game so much.

On the flip side, this guy has about 100 Diablo 3 collector's editions on the shelf because the game sucked.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Has there ever been a game so beloved that the collector's edition swag was actually valuable?

As BWM as it is, I'm pretty sure people buy those because they actually want it, not because they think it'll be valuable. Maybe in 30+ years they might have value if it turns in to some super popular franchise (and they're mint in box), but other than that I'm pretty sure the vast majority are just because someone wants the cool plastic doodad sitting on their shelf.

That said, I'm sure a person could turn a minor profit buying them up and selling them ASAP at a mark-up.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

League of Legends and World of Warcraft have some pretty crazy priced collectors editions, but most of that value is because of the in game cosmetics. You can get the physical stuff sans cosmetics for like $200 for WoW, or a working code for like $8000

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andy Dufresne posted:

A few years back, a friend of mine spend over two thousand Euros on Magic cards in a couple of months because he was convinced the value would quickly increase in the near future.

Two thousand euros might not seem like much, but the average wage here is 700 Euros, with 400 going to rent, 40 on public transport, whatever else for utility bills, so you do the math on how risky of a decision this was.

Not a single card has been sold since then.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Actual valuable collectors item toys are rare and valuable because no one cared much about them when they were released. New toys sold with "collectors item" in the marketing collateral are never going to become rare and valuable because everybody who bought one is carefully hoarding it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This discussion reminds me of a really insane BWM story from my own life.

In college I went over to a friend of a friend's house for a small party, and someone sees the host's warhammer stuff and the host asks if that person plays, and that person casually says oh it seems fun but it's a bit too much money for me to get into right now.

Now a normal/sane warhammer player would say something like "yeah it's a bit of a money sink haha i enjoy it though, that's hobbies for you." I think that would be a reasonable statement. Instead he launches into this really lengthy rant about how, actually, getting into warhammer is cheaper than going to a movie. Because if you go to a movie, you might really like the movie, and see it multiple times in the theater, and buy food each time. Then you might need to buy the collectibles associated with that movie, at which point he shows us this Sweeney Todd uh, barber set statue? thing? and a poster, and the collector's DVD, and several other items related to Sweeney Todd, all on display on a table, and he says that altogether going to see Sweeney Todd cost him upwards of 500 dollars, whereas getting a starting set of warhammer figurines might only run you a hundred. So in conclusion, he said, warhammer is really not expensive, because it's cheaper than seeing a movie.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in college i lost 200 bucks to online poker

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

alnilam posted:

Sounds like a sick party though

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

in college i lost 200 bucks to online poker

Sounds a lot cheaper than seeing a single movie.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

alnilam posted:

In college I went over to a friend of a friend's house for a small party, and someone sees the host's warhammer stuff and the host asks if that person plays, and that person casually says oh it seems fun but it's a bit too much money for me to get into right now.

Now a normal/sane warhammer player would say something like "yeah it's a bit of a money sink haha i enjoy it though, that's hobbies for you." I think that would be a reasonable statement. Instead he launches into this really lengthy rant about how, actually, getting into warhammer is cheaper than going to a movie. Because if you go to a movie, you might really like the movie, and see it multiple times in the theater, and buy food each time. Then you might need to buy the collectibles associated with that movie, at which point he shows us this Sweeney Todd uh, barber set statue? thing? and a poster, and the collector's DVD, and several other items related to Sweeney Todd, all on display on a table, and he says that altogether going to see Sweeney Todd cost him upwards of 500 dollars, whereas getting a starting set of warhammer figurines might only run you a hundred. So in conclusion, he said, warhammer is really not expensive, because it's cheaper than seeing a movie.

Reminds me of how Blue Story needed to budget hundreds of dollars to go see a comedy show, because besides the $30 ticket she also had to buy every single piece of merch they offered...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

alnilam posted:

The better version of this would have had Zootopia as the movie example and ended up with the guy pulling a stained fursuit from his closet.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Good lord this is why that comic about "let people enjoy things" is wrong

Fandoms are bad

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good lord this is why that comic about "let people enjoy things" is wrong

Fandoms are bad
I personally can't stand when people band together online to talk about common interests. Those people ought be ashamed of themselves.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Dik Hz posted:

I personally can't stand when people band together online to talk about common interests. Those people ought be ashamed of themselves.

Have you ever gone into TV IV to talk about a show you like?! Abandon all hope

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Now now it's fine to be a fan of something. Hell I won't even judge someone for buying collectibles, if that makes them happy, though it's extremely BWM and I don't personally get it, but whatever.

The insane part of this story is the idea that seeing the movie somehow compelled him to buy hundreds of dollars in collectibles, and therefore while you think a movie ticket only costs $10, in truth it costs hundreds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

alnilam posted:

Hell I won't even judge someone for buying collectibles, if that makes them happy, though it's extremely BWM

My friend that's what this thread is FOR!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Dik Hz posted:

How much did you spend on seeing zootopia?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mans posted:

A few years back, a friend of mine spend over two thousand Euros on Magic cards in a couple of months because he was convinced the value would quickly increase in the near future.
Honestly, I'm kinda impressed if your idiot friend bought in before the pandemic and somehow managed to avoid every single one of the graphs that look like any of these:

(y-axis prices in USD, the icons are just showing when sets came out)

[for those that play Magic that's Revised Underground Sea, RTR Cyclonic Rift, and Grim Monolith, so two spikes from the official corporate no-reprint policy and one spike from, somehow, everyone being stuck at home in the pandemic making casual cards boom in price?]

Like, literally not managing to profit off a single card in the last two years means they made nothing but absolutely braindead purchases, because the market has absolutely exploded and is pricing me out of owning some stuff I'd like to own.

the real GWM is having bought in decades ago and forgotten until right now, and it will always be that until every single old magic card is owned by a collector

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Reminding me of the Zendikar FNM I attended where I opened a Mox Ruby. The shop-owner offered me a whole booster box of Zendikar for it, since there could be anything in that box, maybe even a Mox!!!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What are the best ways to sell bulk magic cards? I have a bunch from high school that I doubt I’ll care about again.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
This MTG chat bugs me.

Every time it comes up here, it reminds that I have hundreds of cards from the mid/late 90s that collectively could sell for $200 if properly sorted and cataloged. That's not enough to make me want to sort through them and figure it out, but enough to make me annoyed that they're just sitting there taking up space when it could be cash in my pocket.

also that the last time this conversation came around, I looked in to it and discovered that my brother stole a card from me (among others) that would be worth $100 today on its own.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just do a little bit of it every day, like 20 cards or something - it adds up over time. If that doesn't even feel worth it, I'd just trash 'em

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

withak posted:

Actual valuable collectors item toys are rare and valuable because no one cared much about them when they were released. New toys sold with "collectors item" in the marketing collateral are never going to become rare and valuable because everybody who bought one is carefully hoarding it.

Everybody learned from getting screwed over by the Death of Superman comic book event when DC printed millions of the special black bag Superman #75. it was one of the first times that non-comic book nerds readers started to buy up the issues seeing dollar signs in their future as the prices could only go up up up up. Then DC reprinted it a million more times to meet the demand, because they sure don't see any cut of aftermarket sales so why not keep printing money? Now you can find sealed black bags for around $20. Obviously some are worth more like if you get it signed by someone but anyone with a closet full of Superman #75s at this point has as much value as a closet full of beanie babies.

So now you get collectables made up with runs in the thousands or tens of thousands (though not the mass-market things like the Fallout 76 helmet or steelcase game things where they make a million of them to sell in Best Buy or whatever, more like comic book statues and figurines and variant cover editions) but nobody outside that fandom really is speculating on these so while limited they aren't exactly rare but they are still expensive because most collectors never sell them and the retail markup is huge if you don't buy on a preorder or something.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

DaveSauce posted:

This MTG chat bugs me.

Every time it comes up here, it reminds that I have hundreds of cards from the mid/late 90s that collectively could sell for $200 if properly sorted and cataloged. That's not enough to make me want to sort through them and figure it out, but enough to make me annoyed that they're just sitting there taking up space when it could be cash in my pocket.

The low effort but BWM way to sell them is to at least sort them by set/rarity and bring them in to a comics/card shop and see if they'll do a bulk sale but most probably won't be interested at all unless you sort out all the rares first, and they might only take those. And you might only get store credit instead of cash. Anything other than the $20+ cards are basically just a reason to get people into the store to hopefully buy something else while they are there, because there's just no money in it anymore just like comic back issues. The only real way to get anything at all is to spend some time on ebay or CoolStuffInc or one of the bigger card sales places and figure out if what you have is worth trying to sell just the rares for whatever you can get or just put them all up as a big bulk set auction on ebay and hope you get someone willing to give you way less than you think you deserve to take a chance for a set of 99% crap cards they'll just throw away anyway.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

DaveSauce posted:

This MTG chat bugs me.

also that the last time this conversation came around, I looked in to it and discovered that my brother stole a card from me (among others) that would be worth $100 today on its own.

I did the same thing with the binder of Pokemon cards I put together in one summer in the late 90s and threw in a box and forgot about until I rediscovered it while cleaning out the closet last summer; doing the research and listing them for sale and getting the sleeves and protectors and envelopes to mail them out took some time but now I'm up about $400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I've been selling out of the MTG hobby recently. Just deleted a huge self-post, because I have ~opinions~ about this.

For BWM content: I know a guy that has collected many copies of a single card that is now $200+. It's gone up quite a bit, but I kept wanting to tell him, "There's this thing called illiquidity." Like, make sure you can actually offload 30 copies of the same card. In the current environment, it might work out fine, but it may not it still be like that when you decide you want out.

DaveSauce posted:

enough to make me annoyed that they're just sitting there taking up space when it could be cash in my pocket.

Basically beaten by Vice President, but if you don't care about making 100% value on them, you can also sell to a large online retailer like Card Kingdom or Star City Games using their 'Buylist' programs. They probably won't take all of them, but they will usually take the ones of any real value. Send them the cards, they send you a check. I have had positive experiences with both retailers so far. It's a good balance between effort and cash return, assuming anything is worth anything.