Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Learn to use the CLI OP

I can, and do, use CLI on a nearly daily basis. But I'll be damned if I'm going to use a CLI when a GUI can do what I want and present it in a more readable and understandable format.

That said, Cockpit looks like a pretty rad manager for Podman (cockpit-podman) that also combines a hypervisor manager (cockpit-machines) as well and cockpit-networkmanager lets do do a bunch of virtual networking too.

I might have to boot up a fedora server and give that a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

How can Podman be daemonless? Isn't a daemon just a background process? Surely Podman executes its behavior in the background without user interaction or calls on other such background processes?

Different separation of concerns. Supervision is delegated to your process manager (i.e. systemd).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Played around with Podman and Cockpit and while both are pretty cool, they do lack some functionality I use all the time in Portainer/Docker like editing existing containers (which is really copying the existing container setup, taking down the running container, and then starting up the edited duplicate). I'm also not seeing the containers I make for Podman in Cockpit in the CLI version of Podman. The list flag to the Podman command just doesn't return anything. Are they somehow running two instances of Podman that aren't talking to each other?

I do like the very straightforward support for existing docker images, and the repos for docker images are built into both Podman and Cockpit which is nice.

I see Podman supposedly supports docker compose files with their 3.0 release, which is pretty neat. Didn't get a chance to check that out. Cockpit doesn't support Podman using docker compose as far as I can see, so you'd have to do it via the CLI.

Probably stick to Docker for now but I'll keep an eye on Podman.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, the lack of compose support is the only reason I haven’t fully switched to podman yet. It’s nice to know they are adding it natively!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nitrousoxide posted:

Played around with Podman and Cockpit and while both are pretty cool, they do lack some functionality I use all the time in Portainer/Docker like editing existing containers (which is really copying the existing container setup, taking down the running container, and then starting up the edited duplicate). I'm also not seeing the containers I make for Podman in Cockpit in the CLI version of Podman. The list flag to the Podman command just doesn't return anything. Are they somehow running two instances of Podman that aren't talking to each other?

I do like the very straightforward support for existing docker images, and the repos for docker images are built into both Podman and Cockpit which is nice.

I see Podman supposedly supports docker compose files with their 3.0 release, which is pretty neat. Didn't get a chance to check that out. Cockpit doesn't support Podman using docker compose as far as I can see, so you'd have to do it via the CLI.

Probably stick to Docker for now but I'll keep an eye on Podman.

Podman suffers a lot from versioning issues like any cutting edge technology stack, depending on your OS it may be great or you might have to use a bunch of weird workarounds or stuff might just be missing entirely despite documentation suggesting otherwise.

For example on CentOS 8 I still have to manually go in and delete a bunch of networking related files from var/lib/containerd anytime my machine does a hard reboot before any services will start. This bug was fixed a year or more ago and I don't have to deal with it on my Fedora server.

That's why I say it's not production ready, it's been pretty buggy still on really anything that's not Fedora for me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ah, well I was just testing it on a Fedora workstation VM because I wanted to use the localhost and didn't want to have to set up a bridge network for a VM to test the containers on my network.

I did have some issues with it not grabbing the correct read/write permissions for the mounted paths to the container. So I'm not entirely sure what's up with that. I did find a flag that seemed to fix it for my app data folder but for the storage folder for like movies it wasn't able to see them for some reason. I might have just mistyped the path for the container mount however.

I hope it matures and gets better over the next year or so. It looks pretty promising.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm also not seeing the containers I make for Podman in Cockpit in the CLI version of Podman. The list flag to the Podman command just doesn't return anything. Are they somehow running two instances of Podman that aren't talking to each other?
Podman is rootless, so it's just a regular user process and so pods launched by user X are not visible by podman running as user Y. If your CLI tools & Cockpit are running under different users, they're completely separate.

This has a minor downside/gotcha, in that container storage is also per-user. So if user X & Y both "podman pull ..." the same container, it's stored twice in separate directories from what I can tell.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Just put them both on a deduplicating filesystem, problem solved

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You know that probably also explains why I was having those mount issues as well. I was directing the file path to something that was in my home directory but I believe that cockpit was using a different user, probably System. I remember seeing a drop down for selecting the user in there.

Of course a different user would not have permissions to read or write my user's home directory without using root or SU.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

I'm glad I don't have to touch containers and just use normal VMs. Everything about them sounds like a needless headache.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dont Touch ME posted:

I'm glad I don't have to touch containers and just use normal VMs. Everything about them sounds like a needless headache.
Containers are glad they don't have to touch YOU either.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they work pretty well once you get the hang of them

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

because they hang all the time, get it

i'll see myself out

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
'containers' would be better if they weren't treated by users and docker as though they solve all packaging issues forever

'multi stage builds' with docker just seem like passing the buck on sane artifact management

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can, and do, use CLI on a nearly daily basis. But I'll be damned if I'm going to use a CLI when a GUI can do what I want and present it in a more readable and understandable format.

this is the linux thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

this is the linux thread

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It's the 15th year of the Linux Desktop in a row. GUI-user FOSS evangelists have finally arrived.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gentle Autist posted:

this is the linux thread
Well it's not the BSD thread at least.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

Well it's not the BSD thread at least.

you can tell because people are using it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

this is the linux thread

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was just doing some work from my Gentoo workstation when MS Cortana started speaking to me. :stare: :stare: :stare:

What the gently caress

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Apparently, the default VM template was amended to include a sound card and libvirt's Virtual Machine Manager managed to pass sound through the tunnelled ssh connection and I still had a Windows test VM open on a different virtual desktop.

JFC I need a drink.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
And people say Linux audio doesn't work

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it works on mars

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Antigravitas posted:

Apparently, the default VM template was amended to include a sound card and libvirt's Virtual Machine Manager managed to pass sound through the tunnelled ssh connection and I still had a Windows test VM open on a different virtual desktop.

JFC I need a drink.

amazing... need to try this now on a server in reverse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Antigravitas posted:

JFC I need a drink.

you should buy a lottery ticket

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the free software community is revolting

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

hey now there's no need for name-calling

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Let's replace RMS with regular MS!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess we’re stuck with the fsf unless clang completely supersedes gcc

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ive been saying that for years!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

i guess we’re stuck with the fsf unless clang completely supersedes gcc

You just... MIT be right 8-)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
apple, FreeBSD, and android replaced gcc with clang. Linux has no adult supervision that can make this decision system-wide so we’re stuck with gcc forever.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Clang/LLVM can already compile the kernel, supposedly.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/kbuild/llvm.html

I think rust support will require clang anyway.

My guess is that fedora will switch to clang built kernels at some point, then centos/rhel will adopt it at some point after that.

I doubt canonical would take that first leap.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

but what about FORTRAN???????

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, without Fortran the entire scientific Python ecosystem melts down and I'd be out of a job. I'm very much in favour of keeping Fortran. Just…keep it far away from me.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

sb hermit posted:

Clang/LLVM can already compile the kernel, supposedly.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/kbuild/llvm.html

I think rust support will require clang anyway.

My guess is that fedora will switch to clang built kernels at some point, then centos/rhel will adopt it at some point after that.

I doubt canonical would take that first leap.

I assume canonical is already working on their own compiler suite

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Soricidus posted:

I assume canonical is already working on their own compiler suite

the most they'll do is a front-end to an existing compiler suite and not a completely new compiler suite of their own

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the gnu fortran compilers are poo poo, so no loss goin to flang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

xtal posted:

Let's replace RMS with regular MS!

Oh yeah, I'm thinking it's Plan 9 time.