Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm guessing he just watched OK vs OK State

In one of those he scored 40! But I would guess at most he saw the hype for that and then watched the follow up where Cade took like one shot in the first half and didn't have a great line, but even then he was getting to the basket at will down the stretch and was the biggest reason they took the lead for good. More likely he's watched like three youtube clips and Russillo said something dumb one time. He barely watches the NBA anymore he's definitely not watching full college games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

In one of those he scored 40! But I would guess at most he saw the hype for that and then watched the follow up where Cade took like one shot in the first half and didn't have a great line, but even then he was getting to the basket at will down the stretch and was the biggest reason they took the lead for good. More likely he's watched like three youtube clips and Russillo said something dumb one time. He barely watches the NBA anymore he's definitely not watching full college games

Game 2 is what I was thinking, just laying back and setting his teammates up until he had to walk through Not Mo Harkless's brother and a bunch of other big upperclassmen. If you watched the first half without the context of ok state having really bad players you might leave unimpressed.

I think a lot of it falls into the trap of holding elite athleticism as the linchpin of top prospecthood. But if you look at the top 15 guys in the NBA, only half of them are galaxy grade run jump guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Let me just look at what draft picks the Celtics have this year.

Ahhh, I see.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1367146540016562177

https://twitter.com/SpartanRyan/status/1367174748246048768

Please go 2 the gleague emoni. You dont have to keep promises to tom izzo, they dont count

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/KateBDoll/status/1367113075070013444?s=19

E: he comped him to josh richardson ahahaha
I was reminded of this today:
https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1367291752953090050

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

HE DON'T MISS

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Incredible to be a doubting Thomas on Zion but not bring up any of the actual issues with him (bad landing mechanics, no defensive awareness, can only dribble in a straight line). I guess he sort of mentioned handles but that’s really vague. Anyone who thought Zion would be less than a great offensive player was nuts.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Algund Eenboom posted:

https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/1367146540016562177

https://twitter.com/SpartanRyan/status/1367174748246048768

Please go 2 the gleague emoni. You dont have to keep promises to tom izzo, they dont count

Prematurely judging this year's g league prospects makes me think an easy money bucket man looks better against ncaa competition. Of course if his family needs more money than Michigan state is paying, so be it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno I have been pretty impressed with the ignite guys this year, especially since the g-league is probably the toughest it's ever been because there are fewer teams and the talent is more concentrated. Jalen Green started slow but otherwise he's looked really good and Bates is a better prospect as a scorer. His defense is gonna look really really bad though. Also Izzo's record with top tier prospects is, uh, mixed. JJJ was ultimately fine but Izzo used him in a really stupid way.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I dunno I have been pretty impressed with the ignite guys this year, especially since the g-league is probably the toughest it's ever been because there are fewer teams and the talent is more concentrated. Jalen Green started slow but otherwise he's looked really good and Bates is a better prospect as a scorer. His defense is gonna look really really bad though. Also Izzo's record with top tier prospects is, uh, mixed. JJJ was ultimately fine but Izzo used him in a really stupid way.

I appreciate you for serving as the voice of reason to my unplotted idle thoughts and feelings. It's good to be stopped from floating away in a sweet phantasy

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pre-tournament top 60, I still need to watch more of most guys and obviously not everyone will actually come out so this will change a lot before the draft

1. Cade Cunningham, Oklahoma State

2. Evan Mobley, USC

3. Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
4. Jalen Green, g-league
5. Jaden Springer, Tennessee
6. Moses Moody, Arkansas
7. Jonathan Kuminga, G-league

8. Ziaire Williams, Stanford
9. Keon Johnson, Tennessee
10. Sharife Cooper, Auburn
11. Franz Wagner, Michigan
12. Jalen Johnson, Duke
13. Corey Kispert, Gonzaga
14. Kai Jones, Texas

15. James Bouknight UConn
16. Benedict Mathurin, Arizona
17. Jared Butler, Baylor
18. Usman Garuba, INTL
19. Daishen Nix, G-league
20. Alperen Sengun, INTL
21. Roko Prkacin INTL

22. Scottie Barnes, Florida State
23. David Johnson, Louisville
24. Deuce McBride, WVU
25. Rokas Jokubaitis, INTL
26. Cam Thomas, LSU
27. Bones Hyland, VCU
28. Kessler Edwards, Pepperdine

29. Josh Giddey, INTL
30. Greg Brown, Texas
31. Terrance Shannon, Texas Tech
32. Josh Christopher, Arizona State
33. Julian Champagnie, St. John's
34. Tre Mann, Florida
35. Isaiah Jackson, Kentucky
36. Day'ron Sharpe, UNC
37. Marcus Bagley, Arizona State
38. Charles Bassey, Western Kentucky
39. BJ Boston, Kentucky

40. Chris Duarte, Oregon
41. Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova
42. David Duke, Providence
43. Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga
44. Sam Hauser, Virginia
45. Isaiah Livers, Michigan
46. Davion Mitchell, Baylor
47. Scottie Lewis, Florida
48. Derrick Alston Jr., Boise State
49. Justin Champagnie, Pitt
50. Yves Pons, Tennessee
51. Aaron Henry, Michigan State

52. JT Thor, Auburn
53. Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
54. Jason Preston, Ohio
55. Sandro Mamukelashvili, Seton Hall
56. Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
57. Matt Mitchell, San Diego State
58. Jalen Crutcher, Dayton
59. Ron Harper Jr, Rutgers
60. Santi Aldama, Loyola (MD)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

are there more international prospects in the top 30 this year than previous years? I'm also intrigued by how high or low some of the G-League kids will go

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Carlosologist posted:

are there more international prospects in the top 30 this year than previous years? I'm also intrigued by how high or low some of the G-League kids will go

I think the international thing is pretty typical, last year was a pretty bad year for it. I definitely should have more in the second round but I just haven't watched a lot of guys. I am probably higher on Jokubaitis than where he'll actually go, I would have taken him first round last year too.

For the G-League I think Green and Kuminga will probably both go top 5 unless someone like Moody or one of the Tennessee guys has a crazy tournament and blows up. Nix will definitely get drafted but probably closer to the late first/early second range. I've seen Isaiah Todd on boards some places but he sucks and I don't get it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

you’re gonna see more international prospects over time; the nba and fiba have done a really good job of spreading the game all over the world

especially once the one and done rule is removed; you won’t have situations like enes kanter getting billed out of kentucky

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
It sounds like 2022 will be the first draft where high schoolers are eligible. The fated double draft. Get picks or die trying.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

It sounds like 2022 will be the first draft where high schoolers are eligible. The fated double draft. Get picks or die trying.

This was the original thought but I think they've since said that it won't be that early.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think they would have had to vote that in this past offseason for it to be 2022. I assume covid pushed it back.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/BrianJDraft/status/1369327679187677194?s=19

The Kuminga flashes are great and he obviously has the physical stuff you want but I think he has more issues with his shot than most people seem to want to acknowledge.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Jalen Suggs is good.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1369498799673065473?s=20

https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/1369498505060839428?s=20

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What do you guys think about Quentin Grimes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dejan Bimble posted:

What do you guys think about Quentin Grimes?

He was all right until he snapped and started ranting about being BJ Boston and getting away with things and how he can take a dangerous charge because "I'm BJ Boston" and then died.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have decided that Evan Mobley is Kenyon Martin with a jumper

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

I have decided that Evan Mobley is Kenyon Martin with a jumper

he's way better on offense generally and also, like, five inches taller. He'd go first in a lot of years

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

he's way better on offense generally and also, like, five inches taller. He'd go first in a lot of years

Huh, forgot Martin was that short

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Huh, forgot Martin was that short

Dude played PF and even some center all on toughness.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He was also one of the early 00s power forwards who put up decent point totals because he got fed a lot of post touches before Mike D'antoni taught everyone what a basketball offense is supposed to look like yet, and then you look back and he actually kinda sucked on offense. Really good defender though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 21, 2021

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah he was brutal and it is one of the biggest black marks on the Eastern Conference that they let a team with him as lead scorer make the finals.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If the lottery keeps the draft order as is what would be the best case for Suggs? Like what team would probably let him shine the most?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

If the lottery keeps the draft order as is what would be the best case for Suggs? Like what team would probably let him shine the most?

He'd be really good with Shai or in Toronto with FVV but don't know if either of those two will get high enough to get him. Needs to be somewhere with another good lead guard to really get the most out of him I think.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Well that sucks for him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I do think he's going to be at least pretty good wherever he winds up, he's a good shooter, plays D, and is a really smart passer. But if he has a weakness it's that he can't really create an easy look for himself in the half court, so playing with another guard who can get in the paint would probably be the ideal. Maybe it's better with NBA space but kinda hard to have more space than Gonzaga lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

I do think he's going to be at least pretty good wherever he winds up, he's a good shooter, plays D, and is a really smart passer. But if he has a weakness it's that he can't really create an easy look for himself in the half court, so playing with another guard who can get in the paint would probably be the ideal. Maybe it's better with NBA space but kinda hard to have more space than Gonzaga lol

Sounds like you're saying he should come home

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm just starting to catch up on suggs video. would it be crazy to say his ideal scenario is ending up as the guard version of Andre iguodala?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm just starting to catch up on suggs video. would it be crazy to say his ideal scenario is ending up as the guard version of Andre iguodala?

He kind of reminds me more of a Chauncey Billups. Kind of a do everything point guard but nothing elite.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kirios posted:

He kind of reminds me more of a Chauncey Billups. Kind of a do everything point guard but nothing elite.

I don't have a Chauncey player archetype in my head, to me he's just the most clutch guy (other than Joe Johnson) who made everyone better no matter what. I'll have to think about it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

He's very good at the one thing Iggy was notably missing from his game (shooting) so I don't think this really works.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kirios posted:

please do not disrespect mister big shot

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's very good at the one thing Iggy was notably missing from his game (shooting) so I don't think this really works.

Fair enough. I should have just said right place/right time/ make it look easy in a complimentary but not minimal role guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Kirios posted:

If you look at career Win Shares, (and VORP) Billups and Shawn Marion are right after a long, unbroken string of Hall of Famers, and directly above a second, long, unbroken string of hall of famers.