Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tax question:

Say I invest $10 in AMC, price shoots up to $15 the next day so I sell and pocket the profits of $5.

In that case, I’d pay taxes on $5, capital gains, right?

Now say I take the $5 and immediately buy $5 worth of GameStop, and it tanks to $2 same day, so I sell for a loss of $3.

Overall, within a few days, I’m still up $2. So do I just pay capital gains on $2 come tax season?

I guess what I’m asking is does the IRS just care about the overall gain/loss on stocks bought and sold within a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

melon cat posted:

and the wholesale rates for selling back to the grid have fallen so much that the payback period for solar is absurdly high.

Allowing your energy monopoly to buy your electricity for less than market is the problem.

At least here they made them give me market rate for when I provided it (so electricity generated at noon in the summer is worth a lot, and is also when these panels pump like crazy). They made me sign a contract that I can't take any of it with me, or transfer the credit to the next homeowner, but it still makes it worthwhile.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Tax question:

Say I invest $10 in AMC, price shoots up to $15 the next day so I sell and pocket the profits of $5.

In that case, I’d pay taxes on $5, capital gains, right?

Now say I take the $5 and immediately buy $5 worth of GameStop, and it tanks to $2 same day, so I sell for a loss of $3.

Overall, within a few days, I’m still up $2. So do I just pay capital gains on $2 come tax season?

I guess what I’m asking is does the IRS just care about the overall gain/loss on stocks bought and sold within a year?

Keep this in mind.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/washsale.asp

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page

nwin posted:

That’s right, net realized gains/losses.
If you bought GME and the price dropped and you didn’t sell to realize the loss in the same year then you would be on the hook for taxes on the $5 gain.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This looks like what I thought a stimmy day would be, a relatively steady tick upwards.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Sold my position in campbells after five days of upward movement. Not because I've got any less confidence that it's going to continue to be a good play as we move into 2022 but rather because it tends to move very cyclically and I expect I'll be able to pick up the same number of shares for cheaper than my prior average as we continue opening up the economy and investors continue to find confidence.

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 22, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Got rid of all my AMC for a loss, that poo poo isn't gonna hit what I bought for anytime soon. Throwing everything from that into SNDL, blaze it.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Got rid of all my AMC for a loss, that poo poo isn't gonna hit what I bought for anytime soon. Throwing everything from that into SNDL, blaze it.

Godspeed with the SNDL

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I've heard about the intricacies of the US tax system, but sheesh. How are you guys able to just fill in your taxes with all these exotic rules that you may not even know about?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I've heard about the intricacies of the US tax system, but sheesh. How are you guys able to just fill in your taxes with all these exotic rules that you may not even know about?

You don't, you're expected to spend 50 bucks on Turbotax

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

You pay turbotax, who lobbied congress to make taxes as obtuse as possible, to do it for you

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan have been in the game for a decade now.

From what I have read - Toyota and Nissan are behind due to their insistence with Hybrids. I'm surprised we don't have a mass produced EV Corolla or some kind of public prototype.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/tolstoybb/status/1374056305845964803?s=20

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lol “YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO TURN DUMB MONEY INTO SMART(ER) MONEY!”

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO that loving mummy Biden fired his staffers if they've ever smoked weed so now weed stocks are dead because that poo poo's never getting legalized

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

LMAO that loving mummy Biden fired his staffers if they've ever smoked weed so now weed stocks are dead because that poo poo's never getting legalized

white house staff presumably require some level of security clearance or background check

weed is still illegal under federal regs, so it comes up as a reason to deny the clearance or negatively judge the background

it's probably not really even in his hands unless he wanted to interfere with the process

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So, dable with some puts finally. I bought two $15 puts with a 3/26 expiry. If the puts expire in the money, they'll execute sell for $15 x 100, yea? But if I don't have the money to cover the buys do they just expire worthless?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Nah it was quite literally an old man getting upset that someone smoked weed in college and firing them because the jazz cabbage gives you unamerican thoughts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

From what I have read - Toyota and Nissan are behind due to their insistence with Hybrids. I'm surprised we don't have a mass produced EV Corolla or some kind of public prototype.

The Nissan Leaf is the EV Corolla. It was the first "real" EV of the lithium era and was the top seller many years in many places.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nah it was quite literally an old man getting upset that someone smoked weed in college and firing them because the jazz cabbage gives you unamerican thoughts.

You could be trolling here but I haven’t seen any confirmations on this being Biden’s direct call?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

He had to act before Harris arrested them all.

Also still holding amc. gently caress it gonna get real weird with it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You could be trolling here but I haven’t seen any confirmations on this being Biden’s direct call?

"Mr. President, I'm firing your staff and you can't stop me."

The president, who is literally the reason weed is a schedule 1 felony: "oh no, curse you, foul demon for having this power over me!"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Here is a fun blurb from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Controlled_Substances_Act#Rulemaking_proceedings

So in short, could Biden get it descheduled which would be a pretty drat big leap forward in legalization? Absolutely yes.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
5 were removed, there were other issues that came up in their background check. Of course we latch on to the most sensational.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Biden could do a lot of poo poo that he won’t, though. Weed stocks remain “maybe, probably” for the foreseeable future.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Oh yeah, I'm not putting anything on it actually happening. And actually some posters in this very thread made the important point that a lot of the publicly listed companies that are current marijuana plays only even exist because bigger tobacco companies can't justify the risk of engaging in the sector until it gets the federal nod of approval. So it's kind of a dead play for me at the moment even though I'm a big believer that sin == win.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

And even if it does get legalized... it's a weed. A weed that people can grow in their backyards. And it's a regulatory nightmare.

Ask the Canadian cannabis industry what their profit margins are like.

jokes posted:

Biden could do a lot of poo poo that he won’t, though. Weed stocks remain “maybe, probably” for the foreseeable future.
Early research has shown that cannabis cannibalizes* alcohol sales. Most people can't afford both, and even if they can they usually don't want to consume both at the same time.

*alliteration!!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 22, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The better profits would be from food makers making edibles. Or pharma making weed pills/tinctures/margarita mix with the THC.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
In case you're not picking up what I'm throwing down, any hope that Biden will "move left" has been completely DOA.

Dump your weed stocks and buy heavily into private prisons and pinkertons and if you can afford it, your own judge.

reignofevil posted:

Here is a fun blurb from wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removal_of_cannabis_from_Schedule_I_of_the_Controlled_Substances_Act#Rulemaking_proceedings

So in short, could Biden get it descheduled which would be a pretty drat big leap forward in legalization? Absolutely yes.

Yeah, everyone harped on this during the primaries. At any point Trump could have descheduled weed and completely cut the legs out from under the democrats. The DEA is a tool of the executive branch and with weed descheduled congress would have to move to undo poo poo like banking laws.

Democrats talk about it, but they'll never do it because they're a wholly owned subsidiary of the for profit prison industrial complex. poo poo, our vice president is literally the Elliot Ness of weed.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
I'm in the Cannabis industry and every engagement we've had has been positive at state and fed level and our advocacy groups are powerful and well funded. The fact that large equity groups are hunting heavily in our industry only further supports that legalization is coming.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

monkeytek posted:

I'm in the Cannabis industry and every engagement we've had has been positive at state and fed level and our advocacy groups are powerful and well funded. The fact that large equity groups are hunting heavily in our industry only further supports that legalization is coming.

Market is short sighted, if it's not next quarter it isn't soon and if it's longer than a year it's too far out to even think about.

You get ahead of the market by thinking slightly longer term. Basically when you feel legalization is about 18-24 months out buy in and you'll beat the big buy in. That might be now, but I think that's more a second term move.

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
TSLA and the ARK funds dove headfirst into the close

Sign of what's to come?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

melon cat posted:

All houses here need to be connected to the grid in order to be considered legally habitable, and the wholesale rates for selling back to the grid have fallen so much that the payback period for solar is absurdly high.
Many places (including my city) do net metering instead. You can't sell back your power at all, but the power company has to track your overgeneration and bank it for you to take back free later. You bank in the spring and fall, and take it back during summer and winter. The payoff period for that type of installation is just the term of the loan, typically 15-25 years although your breakeven might happen well before that if there is a rate change.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Divot posted:

TSLA and the ARK funds dove headfirst into the close

Sign of what's to come?

If TSLA dips, ARK funds will dip. It's their largest holding. And the major indexes (esp S&P) all dipped in the last hour.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Joke's on you, I don't even know what a growth investor or value stock even are!

But seriously, what are are these things?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I know a few goons have talked about 3D printing. Has anyone seen the recent articles on 3D home printing (extrudable concrete)? It looks really interesting, but didn’t know what the interest in stuff like that is around the industry.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Joke's on you, I don't even know what a growth investor or value stock even are!

But seriously, what are are these things?

growth stocks are sexy companies like tesla or amazon

value stocks are unsexy companies like ford or walmart

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
Does Amazon even still count as growth these days?

One would think with AWS controlling the internet the way it does the value is relatively established

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Divot posted:

Does Amazon even still count as growth these days?

One would think with AWS controlling the internet the way it does the value is relatively established

I've seen it in both boxes, depending on the fund methods for valuing equities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Penny stocks are LGBTQ+

Jump on GSV and ONTX with us