Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

It's Blizzard's take on Magic: The Gathering, drawing inspiration from World of Warcraft lore. The newest cycle of cards appears to be taking influence specifically from vanilla (or "classic" if you prefer) WoW, with the first expansion being Horde focused, the second likely Alliance themed, and the third being Alterac Valley based on this preview image:

Big Changes for this year

Year of the Gryphon: The current rotation is the Year of the Gryphon. This includes the Year of the Phoenix cards (Ashes of Outland, Scholomance Academy, and Madness at the Darkmoon Faire) as well as the Year of the Gryphon sets (currently Forged in the Barrens. New sets come out about every 4 months, so the next one will probably be around July). There will now also be mini sets of cards released in between each expansion.

Core Set: Blizzard continues its trend of learning what the Magic: The Gathering team learned 20 years ago. They're replacing the old Basic and Classic sets with a new Core set that will be modified every year and will be created from a mix of new and old cards. The Core set will also be free to all players, allowing everyone to have a decent base of cards to work from no matter when they start. Here's an extremely large image summarizing the changes https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/lsurm8/all_card_changes_buffsnerfs_cards_leaving_cards/

Mercenaries: Not much is known about this new game mode, so far it looks like Blizzard's take on Slay the Spire. We do know that it will have both single and multiplayer, it involves recruiting a team of mercanaries who level up, and that it involves progressing through procedurally generated encounter trees.

Classic: Play the game as it was back when it was first released. Build a deck using only cards from the basic and classic sets. Has ranked and casual queues.

Book of Mercenaries: Same thing as the Book of Heroes that we're currently halfway through. Play through a short single player campaign that tells you the story of one character, get a pack of cards for that character's class at the end of it.

Diamond cards: A new level of aesthetics for your cards. A few cards from each set will get a special animation that you can only get from buying into the Tavern pass.

Game modes

Standard: Compete against other players using a deck of 30 cards from the newest core set, this year's expansions, and all of the previous calendar year's expansions. There's casual and ranked queues.

The ranking system goes Bronze-Silver-Gold-Platinum-Diamond-Legend, with the first five divisions having 10 ranks each. Based on your final ranking from the previous month, you get bonus stars that make you climb the initial ladder faster. Every 5 ranks, and Legend, is a floor you can't drop below, and provides rewards at the end of the month.

Wild: Same as Standard except that you can use all the cards in your collection.

Battlegrounds: If standard Hearthstone is wizard poker, this mode is wizard slots. Try to create the strongest board of minions from a semi-random selection, then watch in horror as the RNG pulls out a miraculous victory for your opponent.

Arena: Draft a deck of 30 cards and play to either 12 wins or, much more likely, 3 losses. Requires 150 gold to start, gain gold, dust, and packs based on how many wins you finish with.

Duels: This mode is the old dungeon run adventures converted to multiplayer. Build an initial deck of 15 cards and a pick of starting hero power and treasure, then play until you hit 12 wins or 3 losses. After every game, you're offered a few cards to add to your deck, and are often also offered a treasure that is either a powerful card or a passive ability that stays in effect for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 30, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So brawls will now award the previous year’s packs(Year of the Phoenix). I would’ve preferred the current expansion but I guess it’s still way better than classic packs.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

RatHat posted:

So brawls will now award the previous year’s packs(Year of the Phoenix). I would’ve preferred the current expansion but I guess it’s still way better than classic packs.

Now that I finally have all the legendaries of the Classic Set ( Lol Millhouse ) I totally agree. Have they said if it's a rotation or something?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

rip to the good cards that didn’t make it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Now that I finally have all the legendaries of the Classic Set ( Lol Millhouse ) I totally agree. Have they said if it's a rotation or something?

They haven't but I assume they would switch it at the start of each year. So next year will be Year of the Gryphon packs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Getting in on the ground floor again.

Secret mage is gonna be even more fuckin nuts than it already is in Wild.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Regalingualius posted:

I can only imagine what Wild players think anytime Blizzard prints off yet another Good Mage secret

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

looking forward to tinkering around with various aggro Warrior rush packages before giving up and defaulting back to Rogue/Paladin :thumbsup:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RatHat posted:

Yeah, this is much better than the previous system. I honestly didn't bother with brawls most of the time anymore, I already had most of the things I wanted from classic.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is wildfire +1 hero power damage for the rest of the game? That could be realllly good.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, and it stacks, so two casts means you can ping for 3 every turn.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Regalingualius posted:

I always thought Secret Mage needed some more loving water elementals i mean good forbid you ever wanted to gain board

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Acerbatus posted:

Is wildfire +1 hero power damage for the rest of the game? That could be realllly good.

it doesn't say "this turn" so I assume so

I kind of want to try an all-spell hero power mage but I don't know if it's gonna be all that good without the massive payoff card

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There is a critical mass of freeze effects that make the game completely unbearable, so of course the first thing Blizzard did when freeze cards rotated out was put enough back in that they were once again riding that line.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Acerbatus posted:

Be interesting to know if it's a persistent aura so if you swap powers it'll stick too. FLJ at 3 damage would be something

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Hello is this the wizard poker therapy group?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
I'm mostly looking forward to custom golems, secret Paladin, and some Shaman/Druid nature spell synergy. Also maybe a couple meme-y outpost decks.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Olpainless posted:

Be interesting to know if it's a persistent aura so if you swap powers it'll stick too. FLJ at 3 damage would be something

if you play FLJ and then play Wildfire I don't see why it shouldn't work

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Patrick Spens posted:

Since Mages have so much spell discovery you can get it even higher than 3!

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
I'm totally going to try and stack as many Wildfires as possible for Hero Power Mage when I've gotten over rejoicing at the resurrection of Crystal Core Quest Rogue.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

if you play FLJ and then play Wildfire I don't see why it shouldn't work

More wondering if it works like Raza, so the effect persists after the swap (also, why the hell don't they make Raza not work like that, it'd be a sensible nerf for that godforsaken deck)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Gwaint posted:

I'm totally going to try and stack as many Wildfires as possible for Hero Power Mage when I've gotten over rejoicing at the resurrection of Crystal Core Quest Rogue.

I'm busting out Crystal Core again day loving 1. I want to harvest some pain.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Should I open my 31 classic packs today or next week. I was saving them to get all the new cards on rotation but I guess that doesn’t matter anymore.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Should I open my 31 classic packs today or next week. I was saving them to get all the new cards on rotation but I guess that doesn’t matter anymore.

Next week is technically better, you can unpack HoF'd cards then.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Olpainless posted:

Looking forward to the video of someone self destructing for 30 as warlock.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Patrick Spens posted:

You can also discover that spell, so technically it could ( I assume ) keep going up past a fireball for 2 mana a turn. A lot of luck with spell discovery.

Duels could be very interesting as Mage.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Very excited to do some (probably bad) warlock shenanigans once this set releases. Just gonna blow my whole deck up and then try to win before I self-immolate

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

First page post. When does the new expansion come out

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

30th

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Just hit legend again today :toot:

Completely accidentally. Climbed the ladder almost entirely with eureka shaman (but I switched to secret mage for the last 3 games). Literally 100 games with this version of eureka shaman, actual 66-34 record. Super fun deck to play.

I should do a writeup at some point because the deck is awesome

### Eureka Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 1x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (2) Ancestral Spirit
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 2x (4) Ancestor's Call
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (5) Hagatha's Scheme
# 2x (5) Muckmorpher
# 2x (6) Eureka!
# 2x (8) Walking Fountain
# 2x (9) Runaway Blackwing
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound
#
AAEBAaoIAqirAuDMAw6UA/kD9QSyBs4P9r0Cn/0CrZEDipQDj5QDk7kD87sD8NQDlOQDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I want to see someone accidentally lose the game with a wildfired life tap.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm actually surprised the rewards track doesn't reset earlier than release day to get people earning those early pack rewards or something like last time.
E: though there's only 3 barrens packs to earn.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 23, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think wild Elemental Shaman will be fun. They already have a whole year of cards dedicated to it from like 2016 or whenever and now they have that hex machine to really ruin people's day.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Yay new thread. When can I unpack my new cards?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think they'll let you open packs on the 25th, though cards won't be playable until the release.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Normally you can’t open packs until release but this weekend they’ll probably let you make a fireside gathering and open them there. If you’re planning on getting the Tavern pass I highly recommend waiting to open packs until you claim the diamond Samuro though, otherwise you might unpack a regular/golden Samuro and “waste” a legendary.

EDIT: Looking at all the cards on Hearthpwn, the ranked spells card art is great. I like the DH one especially, the perspective is from someone the DH is attacking and each rank has them get closer and angrier.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 23, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I wanted warlock un'goro quest to be good so badly, this'll do as a replacement

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I haven't played since Saviors of Uldum - thinking of checking out this expansion. Is there a "hasn't played in a few years" catchup post anyone would recommend? Or some general advice? The state of the same looks so entirely different now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

If you’re planning on getting the Tavern pass I highly recommend waiting to open packs until you claim the diamond Samuro though, otherwise you might unpack a regular/golden Samuro and “waste” a legendary.

Ok scratch that, you SHOULD open packs before claiming the Diamond Samuro or Mankrik because they’ll have a full dust refund for a week!
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/duplicate-legendary-issue-blademaster-samuro-mankrik/56476