Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Can't quote it because the thread is locked, but per astral the holdup is custom code to let the contest winner perma someone without modding them, which was put off until after astral was put on the payroll (which I guess has happened).

Just do it like a gameshow, copy a page with a lowtax post on it, add a fake clickable permaban button, then stream The Click on twitch ane manually permaban when the fake button gets pressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it really seems like people are making this more difficult than it is. Couldn't you even, I don't know, just manually set the database entry for the admin who banned Lowtax to point to the user who won the contest, no matter who actually did it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Can't quote it because the thread is locked, but per astral the holdup is custom code to let the contest winner perma someone without modding them, which was put off until after astral was put on the payroll (which I guess has happened).

You should be able to quote from locked threads after an update Jeffrey made last year or so, but here:

astral posted:

One factor is the necessity for some new tooling to permit someone who is not/will not be a mod to be able to permaban someone for a post that's in the archives. Unfortunately, a lot of Jeffrey's attention has been occupied with the whole "actually getting me hired" thing – as a small business owner employing someone for the first time from another state (who would be working remotely), there was more involved than one might expect from the outside. He and I have both undoubtedly learned more than we likely ever wanted to know about our respective states' extensive labor/employment/etc. laws.

Anyway, now that that's sorted out and I am officially part of the team (making more time available for both of us), this will get done soon.

I'd like to emphasize that this has taken up a lot of his time because, unlike the previous owner, my impression has been that Jeffrey actually wants to run SA properly and not cut corners when it comes to the business/legal side of things.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's legit super cool to have a real tech person around again on the site

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

astral posted:

You should be able to quote from locked threads after an update Jeffrey made last year or so, but here:

You can from a browser, but for whatever reason you can't from the app. Not y'alls problem.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

You can from a browser, but for whatever reason you can't from the app. Not y'alls problem.

:hai:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh poo poo, I thought I was going crazy for thinking I remembered it was fixed but still being unable to do it. Good to know I'm not, in that one tiny specific area at least.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that SA still works just fine in mobile browser instead of every other website that screams at you to download the app. I do not want your app, reddit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH Awful app is a really nice reading experience

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

i cant even quote from locked threads so whats the point really

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Casu Marzu posted:

Will it still not let you post a new thread? Granted that's almost more of a feature

Choose
Feb 15, 2020

I've moved on, but specifically in response to the avatar on the Pick account:

Actually, I realized Jeffrey never even asked me who the precursor user was who had been harassing me. Given that the person who I suspected of being the same person then immediately started doing the same things exactly the same way within 2 days, had been caught with a re-registered account, and had been suspected of being a different registered account, I still think I was right and it is the same user. Jeffrey told me to go into the QCS thread and recant (and requested a retooling of this recanting 3 or so times to get the wording exactly as he wanted it), but in retrospect, if Jeffrey had evidence that the person didn't have any other re-registrations except for the one he said wasn't harassing me, it was his responsibility to say why he believed that was the case, not to tell me to do it, and it's hard to see where "well who did you think it was?" never came up a single time. Jeffrey also said he would remove the probation, which didn't end up happening and the probation was served in full. I don't recall if this was framed explicitly as an exchange, I doubt it, but Jeffrey said he had to investigate thoroughly because he was "my friend". But I realized a bit too late I'm just quite naive about these things. Anyway, allowing the account to continue with a linked reference that the report was "fake" also isn't true; this user was harassing me and other users through abuse of the private message system.

However, ultimately I stayed on SA with the belief that it would become a site I could then invite my friends back to in a traditional format I preferred. But I don't see that happening at this point, so I don't expect any future engagement. Many happy returns to the folks still here.

This isn't a request for anything to change or anything to be done differently at this point. I think it's fine for it to simply be resolved and doesn't require follow-up aside from me switching the avatar on the old account; however, I was annoyed to have to do this.

Choose has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Mar 22, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
what

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Choose posted:

Actually, I realized Jeffrey never even asked me who the precursor user was who had been harassing me. Given that the person who I suspected of being the same person then immediately started doing the same things exactly the same way within 2 days, had been caught with a re-registered account, and had been suspected of being a different registered account, I still think I was right and it is the same user. Jeffrey told me to go into the QCS thread and recant (and requested a retooling of this recanting 3 or so times to get the wording exactly as he wanted it), but in retrospect, if Jeffrey had evidence that the person didn't have any other re-registrations except for the one he said wasn't harassing me, it was his responsibility to say why he believed that was the case, not to tell me to do it, and it's hard to see where "well who did you think it was?" never came up a single time. Jeffrey also said he would remove the probation, which didn't end up happening and the probation was served in full. I don't recall if this was framed explicitly as an exchange, I doubt it, but Jeffrey said he had to investigate thoroughly because he was "my friend". But I realized a bit too late I'm just quite naive about these things.

However, ultimately I stayed on SA with the belief that it would become a site I could then invite my friends back to in a traditional format I preferred. But I don't see that happening at this point, so I don't expect any future engagement. Many happy returns to the folks still here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick is taking her ball and going home.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Alright, see you in a few months Pick

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Pick finally freeing herself from the only punishment appropriate for her crimes: this forum

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

She's posting in a better place now

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Choose posted:

Actually, I realized Jeffrey never even asked me who the precursor user was who had been harassing me. Given that the person who I suspected of being the same person then immediately started doing the same things exactly the same way within 2 days, had been caught with a re-registered account, and had been suspected of being a different registered account, I still think I was right and it is the same user. Jeffrey told me to go into the QCS thread and recant (and requested a retooling of this recanting 3 or so times to get the wording exactly as he wanted it), but in retrospect, if Jeffrey had evidence that the person didn't have any other re-registrations except for the one he said wasn't harassing me, it was his responsibility to say why he believed that was the case, not to tell me to do it, and it's hard to see where "well who did you think it was?" never came up a single time. Jeffrey also said he would remove the probation, which didn't end up happening and the probation was served in full. I don't recall if this was framed explicitly as an exchange, I doubt it, but Jeffrey said he had to investigate thoroughly because he was "my friend". But I realized a bit too late I'm just quite naive about these things. Anyway, allowing the account to continue with a linked reference that the report was "fake" also isn't true; this user was harassing me and other users through abuse of the private message system. I returned to de

This isn't a request for anything to change or anything to be done differently at this point. I think it's fine for it to simply be resolved and doesn't require follow-up aside from me switching the avatar on the old account; however, I was annoyed to have to do this.

didn't read

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:same:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pick I would like you to stay because you're a good poster

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Is it still about that guy who turned out to be somebody completely different than Pick thought, but her buddies made a thread to complain about regardless?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

EasilyConfused posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > SA's Greatest Sagas: Pick derail number 37

The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite (or Request): I'm existing just for listing!!! > SA's Greatest Sagas: Pick derail number 38

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Dang I like Pick

Also the cyrano thing is hosed

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Is it still about that guy who turned out to be somebody completely different than Pick thought, but her buddies made a thread to complain about regardless?

yes but now its a coverup to hide that it really is the same person, apparently

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bye, Pick.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Varinn posted:

yes but now its a coverup to hide that it really is the same person, apparently

It's me, I'm all of the posters involved. But you know this already, of course, since I'm you as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pick I made it clear that if you sent me allegations of abuse, I would take them seriously. I made it clear that you did not have to show me PMs if you were not comfortable doing so, but were welcome to.

I did the IP check that I do when looking for alts. I told you about the alt he did have, without knowing if that was the account that had been sending you abusive PMs. You indicated it was not, and I acknowledged that I did not know who was. I did not see fit to press you for any sort of details of abuse you received and assumed that if you wanted me to know, you'd tell me.

My offer to remove or reword the probation on your rap sheet stands - just tell me which you'd like. My understanding was that this was the part that bothered you most and I would very much like to make it right, whether or not you leave this place.

I enjoy your presence here and would very much like it if you stay, but if you aren't having fun any more, I don't blame you at all for stepping away.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Tell me more about the recantation , Galileo

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Pick and Choose...goddammit why did I only now "get" that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Marcade posted:

Pick and Choose...goddammit why did I only now "get" that.

wait till you learn about namtab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o68ZFF5W3PM

pentyne has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Choose posted:

Actually, I realized Jeffrey never even asked me who the precursor user was who had been harassing me. Given that the person who I suspected of being the same person then immediately started doing the same things exactly the same way within 2 days, had been caught with a re-registered account, and had been suspected of being a different registered account, I still think I was right and it is the same user. Jeffrey told me to go into the QCS thread and recant (and requested a retooling of this recanting 3 or so times to get the wording exactly as he wanted it), but in retrospect, if Jeffrey had evidence that the person didn't have any other re-registrations except for the one he said wasn't harassing me, it was his responsibility to say why he believed that was the case, not to tell me to do it, and it's hard to see where "well who did you think it was?" never came up a single time. Jeffrey also said he would remove the probation, which didn't end up happening and the probation was served in full. I don't recall if this was framed explicitly as an exchange, I doubt it, but Jeffrey said he had to investigate thoroughly because he was "my friend". But I realized a bit too late I'm just quite naive about these things. Anyway, allowing the account to continue with a linked reference that the report was "fake" also isn't true; this user was harassing me and other users through abuse of the private message system.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out

You couldn't trying to pitch this idea for a script without getting laughed out of the room for being too implausible.

Pick: "I accused the wrong person of sexual harassment, and I don't feel like enough was done to make it up to me"

also

the 2016 lover "I was falsely accused of sexual harassment, here's my proof it wasn't me"

everyone "dude, those messages are weird and creepy as gently caress"

the 2016 lover "well she never said no, so...."

Like in my entire life I never expected someone to own goal themselves so hard that when being cleared of being the specific person being accused, they outed themselves as having also done similar weird poo poo, just not the specific poo poo in question.

Just this stunning back to back posts

the 2016 lover posted:

Here are all the "creepy" PMs:

https://imgur.com/a/ekpOcSt

Including the post I linked to with an "LOL"

And here's the one I sent since then, because Pick accused me of being an "obvious re-reg" despite my regdate in 2001 (and posting about other posters isn't allowed in USPOL):

the 2016 lover posted:

I'm curious what you meant here.

Pick never asked me to stop sending messages. I think that would be a pretty important first step in getting messages to stop. I PMed a user who I don't like and disagree with to make fun of them. That's the long and short of it.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Choose posted:

tl;dr

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's incredible. 2016 lover was presented with an open goal and instead of just taking the shot he missed the ball, fell down and poo poo his pants. I love it and if the whole thing means neither of them post again it's an unqualified success

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

People are weird about Pick

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is something awful, people are weird about everything

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"The Internet Makes You Weird" probably would've been more accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pentyne posted:

You couldn't trying to pitch this idea for a script without getting laughed out of the room for being too implausible.

Pick: "I accused the wrong person of sexual harassment, and I don't feel like enough was done to make it up to me"

also

the 2016 lover "I was falsely accused of sexual harassment, here's my proof it wasn't me"

everyone "dude, those messages are weird and creepy as gently caress"

the 2016 lover "well she never said no, so...."

Like in my entire life I never expected someone to own goal themselves so hard that when being cleared of being the specific person being accused, they outed themselves as having also done similar weird poo poo, just not the specific poo poo in question.

Just this stunning back to back posts

You forgot the absolutely astounding part where people compared harassing DMs to rape, the most galaxy brain take of all time.