Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah but someone like Luka Garza is probably not coming back. Even if he doesn't make it in the NBA beyond a year or two, he's going to be a superstar in Europe and make seven figures a year doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

I thought guys like Garza and Bohannon could play one more year due to eligibility extensions? Or did I understand that wrong?

They could but they won't (well Garza definitely won't and I kinda hope Bohannon doesn't)

I think the team could be fine if Weiskamp comes back but it seems like he's going to go to the NBA so probably a little bit of a rebuilding year. They have some decent younger guys though. Think Keegan Murray could be a better version of Aaron White and White was really good. Defense will definitely get better. But yeah being to just dump it to Garza for an automatic two points is not a thing you can replace.

Also lol at citing Connor McCaffrey as a positive that dude sucks I hope he fucks off to focus on baseball. Patrick will be good though if he can ever manage to put on weight

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 22, 2021

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
5th year Brad Davidson is a possibility.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

5th year Brad Davidson is a possibility.

he was somehow the youngest wisconsin starter. Trice is like 25

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why does the B1G suck so much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
two of their high seeded teams played no defense, illinois got a bum matchup and single elimination tournaments are weird.

I also don't really know what people thought that Wisconsin, Rutgers and Maryland were going to do, they all seemed to overachieve or hit their expected ceiling.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 22, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I think OSU and Purdue were overseeded just by the eye test, but even a 5 Purdue doesn't make it out of that group of four teams if Nova is still in it as the replacement 4.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I definitely did not ever think OSU was actually top 10 team type good even though they had a nice resume and the predictive stats liked them, they had no size and their defense made Iowa look good

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
And then you can throw an elbow into a guy's face and it's a defensive foul. It makes no sense.

e: only now realizing I didn't put this in the gdt, oops

TheAlmightyFrog fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

And then you can throw an elbow into a guy's face and it's a defensive foul. It makes no sense.

the Mike Bibby rule

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

two of their high seeded teams played no defense, illinois got a bum matchup and single elimination tournaments are weird.

I also don't really know what people thought that Wisconsin, Rutgers and Maryland were going to do, they all seemed to overachieve or hit their expected ceiling.

To back you up:

https://twitter.com/umhoops/status/1374063039729840131

The Big Ten was a basically a league of a few ranked around the top 5, then drat near everyone else in the low teens / mid-twenties, all beating each other all year. Illinois losing is/was a real shock, everyone else losing is more a "surprise" because their seedings were high. Low-20s teams randomly lose all the time, it's just that the Big Ten is gacking it up pretty badly, all at once, without making any upsets (Rutgers/Maryland were low-ish upsets).

lol that shot clock violation dunk

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's a surprise in the technical sense but Loyola's a really good team and had no business being an 8 seed. I don't consider it a huge upset or anything like that - to me they're the favorite to reach the Final 4 in that bracket.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it is sort of hard to argue that the big ten was overseeded while also saying loyola was underseeded though. like either they should seed by stuff like KenPom or they shouldn't. loyola was obviously good but their only top 100 wins were Drake twice I'm pretty sure and they had a couple bad losses.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
So Syracuse vs Houston is on tbs Saturday. Does that mean that the winner will play on tbs Monday?

Or will we not know until after the game and the networks decide which one they want?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The American Dream posted:

So Syracuse vs Houston is on tbs Saturday. Does that mean that the winner will play on tbs Monday?

Or will we not know until after the game and the networks decide which one they want?

Yeah they don't decide time and network until the night before

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1374089198303649800?s=19

Oh thank christ

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
...that feels like a whole lot of people must have said know given some of the names that got thrown out for the job. He was an assistant at Minnesota for most of Pitino's time there.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 22, 2021

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He's got some ties to Chet - maybe it's a play to land him?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

He has a rep for recruiting the twin cities well so it definitely could be a response to them missing on Suggs and probably not getting Chet (who it seems like probably winds up at Gonzaga also) but kind of feels like an overreaction in that direction. I guess we'll see. A young black coach getting a shot is cool

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I wonder how much of an advantage Oregon had today by not playing on Saturday.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kirios posted:

Chet is going to Gonzaga. It’ll be interesting what happens because, I think Walker Kessler wants to transfer there.

Unless something changed, Minnesota isn’t in Chet’s top 3.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

MourningView posted:

Yeah they don't decide time and network until the night before

Thanks. I didn’t know if cbs had a double header one day and tbs had one the other day.

So will it probably by cbs with a 7pm game and tbs with a 930 next Monday?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

I wonder how much of an advantage Oregon had today by not playing on Saturday.

probably not 15 points worth

The stuff that happened today has been an issue with Iowa all year, Oregon being extremely small and fast with a bunch of good shooters made them a uniquely bad matchup unless Iowa shot lights out which they didn't.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Huh.

https://twitter.com/Rivals/status/1374128226059051008

Never heard of coach physicals before.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The mens and womens tournaments used to be on at different times right? What's the point of layering them like this?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The mens and womens tournaments used to be on at different times right? What's the point of layering them like this?

there was always a day or two of overlap, there's just an extra one this year because they pushed the men's back a day

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

It always blows my mind that Matta is so young. He's only 53.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
His back has probably cost him $15-$20m in earnings

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Jacob Young is not coming back for Rutgers, which is not surprising considering he's a senior and 24. Geo Baker is unlikely to come back, as he's also a senior. That'd make Paul Mulcahy (headband guy) the main PG next year. Young was maddening at times, but was incredibly fast, and had a good senior year. Baker was very up and down.

The main question is whether Myles Johnson, a redshirt JR, comes back. He's a really good student, and if he lives, it'd be for engineering graduate school + playing at Stanford. They have Cliff Omoruyi behind him, who was a top recruit, but undoubtedly that'd be a huge loss. I'm assuming the third center probably transfers because he doesn't play.

My best guess for how the team looks next year:

C: Johnson, Omoruyi
F: Harper, Reiber
F: Mathis, Mag, Palmquist
SG: McConnell, Jones (top recruit)
PG: Mulcahy, Miller (average recruit)

I expect them to go for another freshman SG, and probably a JUCO/5th year type PF to round out the roster.

I think this team would be pretty solid and still have a lot of upperclassmen (4 senior starters and a junior), but a lot depends on Johnson staying, and how the rest of the conference looks. Mulcahy is the guy who I expect to get a lot better when he has much higher usage next year. I also think Montez Mathis under achieved and should be better, while McConnell took a while to find his footing coming back from injuries, but was very good defensively. Mag is another defensive stopper, and Palmquist is a shooter - both were true freshmen who fell out of the rotation when McConnell came back. This starting lineup would be insanely good defensively, but unsurprisingly would have issues scoring.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol that Gonzaga got put in a region where it beat the 2, 3 and 4 seeds in the regular season and it turns out they won’t even have to rematch any of them.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol that Gonzaga got put in a region where it beat the 2, 3 and 4 seeds in the regular season and it turns out they won’t even have to rematch any of them.

Well who knows, maybe that just means the teams they already beat weren't that good. Kansas sure looks like it wasn't. USC could be a problem, drat they're big.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh.

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1374375802884681737

I was vaguely aware he was coaching but had no idea he was close to getting a head coaching job, even at George Mason. He seems super young.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 23, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Henchman of Santa posted:

This reminds me of Michigan's NCAA tournament back in 2018, when they got in as a 3 seed and their side of the bracket completely detonated. Michigan's path to the National Championship game was beating the 14th seed, then the 6th seed, then the 7th seed, then the 9th seed, then the 11th seed.

Then they got pretty obliterated by Villanova like pretty much anyone will against Gonzaga this year :v:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's worked for good coaches (and also Frank Haith) and Tennessee's recruiting took a big leap after he got there I could see it working, especially when he's from the area.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Huh.

I was vaguely aware he was coaching but had no idea he was close to getting a head coaching job, even at George Mason. He seems super young.

He and I both graduated the same year and I would occasionally play COD: Modern Warfare with him. To say that Kim’s a beauty is putting it lightly.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I was just thinking that the Sweet 16 ended up taking the weekend's madness and turning it all into chalk and I was very wrong:

https://twitter.com/JohnGasaway/status/1374202819662725123

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Huh.

I would love for him to get a shot at Mizzou if Cuonzo's ceiling is about where Mizzou is at the moment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
She somehow was not Big Ten Player of the year and won't even win most national freshman of the year awards but Caitlin Clark is the best player in the country

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1374455037674483718?s=19

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MourningView posted:

She somehow was not Big Ten Player of the year and won't even win most national freshman of the year awards but Caitlin Clark is the best player in the country

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1374455037674483718?s=19

And Kentucky's mens team wishes they could've been that successful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'll be honest and say I don't pay attention to Women's ball (I didn't pay attention to Men's much either this year). Is this Women's tournament getting more competitive? For a long time, upsets weren't that common because of how stacked the top teams were, but I just saw #4 Arkansas lost to #13 Wright State, and #5 Gonzaga lost to #12 Belmont, so there's at least a few upsets this year.

The Clones are actually halfway decent on the Women's side at least.