Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

dantheman650 posted:

I haven't played since Saviors of Uldum - thinking of checking out this expansion. Is there a "hasn't played in a few years" catchup post anyone would recommend? Or some general advice? The state of the same looks so entirely different now.

I think they instituted a thing for returning players where, if you haven't played in 4+ months, you get to choose a free deck. However, with the upcoming rotation, these freebie decks may change so you may not want to log in until next Tuesday at 10 PST / 1 EST and check out the new freebie decks. Someone else should probably verify this though since I haven't done the login after 4+ months of inactivity. Maybe a detail on this in the OP or reserved post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

RatHat posted:

Ok scratch that, you SHOULD open packs before claiming the Diamond Samuro or Mankrik because they’ll have a full dust refund for a week!
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/duplicate-legendary-issue-blademaster-samuro-mankrik/56476

Hell yes. This is great

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Going to miss the Reno Hero card, but also losing 12 cards in my spell mage deck. There are obvious fills at least from the new release, and probably some good scholomance cards I haven't included, so it should be an easy fill.

Also, if they're giving us more deck slots, how long until they let us rearrange our decks? I kind of preferred the old "new decks to the end" style as I had my set decks for an expansion and then would make other poo poo decks to go after quest completion. I suppose now you can cycle to the top by copying and recreating the ones you want at the top. It's just that my oldest decks are likely to be my most played.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 23, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dantheman650 posted:

I haven't played since Saviors of Uldum - thinking of checking out this expansion. Is there a "hasn't played in a few years" catchup post anyone would recommend? Or some general advice? The state of the same looks so entirely different now.

There will be.

In about a week or two.

Until then, pick the Rogue/Paladin returning player deck, and then hold on because everyone is going to experience this huge shift together

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Haven't played Hearthstone since I quitted during the Deathknights release due to the high cost and stale gameplay.

Is this a good time to come back to the game? If I intend to keep to F2P, will I be able to compete on the ladder on get steamrolled by guys with full golden legendaries.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I'm F2P, but I don't ladder much. Could probably get higher if I wanted, but nt sure how I'd go in Diamond or Legend. Depends why you want to ladder or play for. But I've now got the most gold I've ever had due to the change to the f2p model and the rewards track. I'm at roughly 10K earned since last release, for the last one I had 7K gold, which went to 50 packs and the mini-expansion. The mini-expansion is also very good for f2p, since you can get the cards directly instead of from packs so getting the legenadries and epics is easy.
Duplicate protection also makes it easier to get all the commons and rares, which is a boost for F2p, as you can probably get most of what you need from 50 packs worth of cards - you just build around the legenadries you get.
The new core set, which you get for free, will have some legenadries to build decks around.

If you're coming back, you get a free deck - but maybe wait until after release so the deck you get doesn't rotate. Then just earning XP and getting gold, and buy packs as you go up until you get to a certain point, then save your gold for the next one.
Also, there is the battlegrounds you can play with no gold investment and earn XP just from playing that too.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Amoeba102 posted:

Going to miss the Reno Hero card, but also losing 12 cards in my spell mage deck. There are obvious fills at least from the new release, and probably some good scholomance cards I haven't included, so it should be an easy fill.

Also, if they're giving us more deck slots, how long until they let us rearrange our decks? I kind of preferred the old "new decks to the end" style as I had my set decks for an expansion and then would make other poo poo decks to go after quest completion. I suppose now you can cycle to the top by copying and recreating the ones you want at the top. It's just that my oldest decks are likely to be my most played.

You've been able to arrange them for months now. Hold left mouse or press and hold on phone.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I could have sworn I had tried that. Testing, it seems like you've got to click and wait a bit - or at least i do. I was probably doing it too fast.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

shoc77 posted:

Haven't played Hearthstone since I quitted during the Deathknights release due to the high cost and stale gameplay.

Is this a good time to come back to the game? If I intend to keep to F2P, will I be able to compete on the ladder on get steamrolled by guys with full golden legendaries.

The Rewards Track system in 2021 is the most F2P-friendly the game has ever been.

We all will be getting the Core Set (and all its legendaries) for free.

It's a great time to come back.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Should probably hold off on claiming your “free deck for returning players” until either the patch or the expansion itself drops, though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Should probably hold off on claiming your “free deck for returning players” until either the patch or the expansion itself drops, though.

The post-rotation recipes kinda suck though. The Rogue one that's available now for 3 more days has good Legendaries and Epics that are all Standard-playable after rotation.

It's kinda fine either way.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

RatHat posted:

Ok scratch that, you SHOULD open packs before claiming the Diamond Samuro or Mankrik because they’ll have a full dust refund for a week!
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/duplicate-legendary-issue-blademaster-samuro-mankrik/56476

Can you buy packs with gold at a pre launch fireside, or is this just for pre-orders?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

GTO posted:

Can you buy packs with gold at a pre launch fireside, or is this just for pre-orders?
Pre-order packs only. New expansion packs are only available to buy with gold on the official release date.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Day one I am probably playing aggro secret paladin because lmao it looks almost as oppressive as Xmas tree secretdin back in the day

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Beasteh posted:

Day one I am probably playing aggro secret paladin because lmao it looks almost as oppressive as Xmas tree secretdin back in the day

A secret paladin is early on my list of wild decks to try again. Gonna be a fun one to refine and work out!

Might even be Rhyssa's turn to shine for once...

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 23, 2021

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Nevermind, it's actually stupid easy.

Is there a specific strategy to opening packs when you've got 5 golden packs?

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
aren’t the gold packs on their own pity timers?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah gold packs are on their own timers so it doesn't matter which you open first.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

RatHat posted:

quote:

"to address this, full Dust refunds will be available for the week following Pre-Release, this applies to golden Mankrik, non-golden Blademaster Samuro, and golden Blademaster Samuro."

what does "the week following pre-release" mean? Is that just the first week of the expansion when it's out? If it's that why didn't they just say "the first week". If not, when does "the week following pre-release" end?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They seem to have a major issue with proper communication unfortunately. You might see an answer to this on the /r/Hearthstone subreddit.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Pardot posted:

what does "the week following pre-release" mean? Is that just the first week of the expansion when it's out? If it's that why didn't they just say "the first week". If not, when does "the week following pre-release" end?

Yeah I'm fairly confused about the timing of this stuff too.. Some people have speculated that the "un-nerfed" versions of cards will become available in a couple of days from now, and potentially the core set is rotating in prior to the barrens expansion? So we might end up with some weird transition time period in the last week of March.

I've been riding high with Secret Mage lately, up to Diamond 3 on the back of a 70%+ win rate over the last week.. never got to legend before and I think i can do it the way things are going lately, but if the cards get switched up before I can make it there obviously legend becomes much less likely. I'd really like to get some clarification on this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Starsfan posted:

Yeah I'm fairly confused about the timing of this stuff too.. Some people have speculated that the "un-nerfed" versions of cards will become available in a couple of days from now, and potentially the core set is rotating in prior to the barrens expansion? So we might end up with some weird transition time period in the last week of March.

I've been riding high with Secret Mage lately, up to Diamond 3 on the back of a 70%+ win rate over the last week.. never got to legend before and I think i can do it the way things are going lately, but if the cards get switched up before I can make it there obviously legend becomes much less likely. I'd really like to get some clarification on this.

Yeah the un-nerf happens on the 25th but the expansion doesn't release until the 30th.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

RatHat posted:

Yeah the un-nerf happens on the 25th but the expansion doesn't release until the 30th.

are they taking out the current "classic" cards and replacing them with the core set on the 25th too? or just un-nerfing stuff that is already in standard?

I guess it's 2 night of grinding ladder to try and make the cut for me

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Huh, I didn't realize that streamers got access to the new set a week before public release.

That seems kind of cool but also kind of lovely.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Huh, I didn't realize that streamers got access to the new set a week before public release.

They did that last time too. I don't think they get to keep them though. Kibler is always buying packs, which given his popularity seems weird to me.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

For a few days before every new set streamers are allowed to play each other [edit: on a private server] with the new cards during certain set hours. They are required to include a certain number of new cards in every deck they play.

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 23, 2021

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

it's supposed to build hype for these expansions but in reality everyone hates the streams and would rather have the streamer just go back to playing BG's.

Zeddy is kind of a grump but I agree 100% with him that these pre-release streams are incredibly lame, it's like watching another kid at Christmas open his presents and play with the hot new toy through the window a week before you get to enjoy it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Starsfan posted:

it's supposed to build hype for these expansions but in reality everyone hates the streams and would rather have the streamer just go back to playing BG's.

Zeddy is kind of a grump but I agree 100% with him that these pre-release streams are incredibly lame, it's like watching another kid at Christmas open his presents and play with the hot new toy through the window a week before you get to enjoy it.

And the toy is a puzzle and by the time you get it you already know how to solve the first half.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I think the worst part of it is losing the completely random first day or two that used to happen on release, where everyone was trying out weird new homebrews (along with the predictable grumps running face hunter).

Now the new cards have generally been fitted into fairly well optimized decks already and half the people are already playing them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It looks like hero power Mage might be too slow now that Mage lost most of its anti-aggro cards.

EDIT: Also Celestial Alignment is broken as gently caress in Wild, as you'd expect.
EDIT2: Deathrattle DH is better than it looks. I still doubt it'd be Tier 1 but maybe Tier 2.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2021

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Those are really good examples of why it's lame that there's a preview stream.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

L0cke17 posted:

Just hit legend again today :toot:

Completely accidentally. Climbed the ladder almost entirely with eureka shaman (but I switched to secret mage for the last 3 games). Literally 100 games with this version of eureka shaman, actual 66-34 record. Super fun deck to play.

I should do a writeup at some point because the deck is awesome

### Eureka Shaman
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Wild
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Lightning Bloom
# 1x (1) Devolving Missiles
# 2x (1) Lightning Bolt
# 2x (2) Ancestral Spirit
# 2x (2) Devolve
# 2x (3) Far Sight
# 2x (3) Lightning Storm
# 2x (4) Ancestor's Call
# 2x (4) Torrent
# 2x (5) Hagatha's Scheme
# 2x (5) Muckmorpher
# 2x (6) Eureka!
# 2x (8) Walking Fountain
# 2x (9) Runaway Blackwing
# 2x (10) Scrapyard Colossus
# 1x (10) Y'Shaarj, Rage Unbound
#
AAEBAaoIAqirAuDMAw6UA/kD9QSyBs4P9r0Cn/0CrZEDipQDj5QDk7kD87sD8NQDlOQDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

This deck is great. The number of people who just concede instantly the first big thing hits the table is amazing. Even off muckmorphers.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Are there going to be separate packs for Classic once the patch goes out? I doubt I'll invest too much time in that mode but it may be a nice break from the current design of crazy card generation.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Meatbag Esq. posted:

This deck is great. The number of people who just concede instantly the first big thing hits the table is amazing. Even off muckmorphers.

Blizz should really discount old cards after a point. The deck looks super fun and I'm just missing one Muck and one Call but don't want to spend the dust with a new expansion just around the corner.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Starsfan posted:

are they taking out the current "classic" cards and replacing them with the core set on the 25th too? or just un-nerfing stuff that is already in standard?

I guess it's 2 night of grinding ladder to try and make the cut for me

No.

25th: Cards are being unnerfed, and Nitroboost nerfed, no changes to Standard rotation.

Enjoy the 5 day pocket meta.

30th: Rise, Saviors, DoD/GA, DH Initiate, Classic, and Basic rotate out. Core and Barrens rotate in. All at once.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Can someone hit me up for a play a friend quest on NA? LookSharp#1238 (e:taken)

My biggest surprise from the theorybuilding streams is watchtower decks functioning

Look Sharp! fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 23, 2021

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

After everything Blizzard did manage to get right lately, have they by chance announced that the Tavern Pass will be available for gold as well this time around?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

mcbexx posted:

After everything Blizzard did manage to get right lately, have they by chance announced that the Tavern Pass will be available for gold as well this time around?

Doubtful with the addition of diamond cards.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Spending gold to get more gold seems unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Amoeba102 posted:

Spending gold to get more gold seems unlikely.

I kinda hope they make golden cards way more common just to give bling addicts an aneurysm.