Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Here is my thoroughly adequate tortilla soup.

That looks good as hell ngl.

I'm attempting ga xao xa it again, this time with even more peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

That looks good as hell ngl.

I'm attempting ga xao xa it again, this time with even more peppers.

It turned out good.

It sounds good! Let me know how it goes!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It looks like poo poo but it tastes real good. Also my mouth hurts so I did it right.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I'm making crock pot korean beef. Loaded with ginger and gochujang

should be done here in like 3 hours :yum:

the smell is torturous

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

prepuce repurposed posted:

I'm making crock pot korean beef. Loaded with ginger and gochujang

should be done here in like 3 hours :yum:

the smell is torturous

Pics or else I'm withholding weed forever, I fuckin love gochujang

Areola Grande

there will be pics

more falafel please

forums poster

I'm making Kung pao chicken somewhere vaguely between takeout style and more traditional, still gloopy sauce and canned water chestnuts but with real black vinegar and shaoxing wine and sichuan peppercorn

definitely have some changes for next time (and next time I won't forget to make rice until the sauce is already thickening :negative:)

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

the unabonger

I usually eat the same curry for like a week

i usually dont eat curry the same day i make it. I love next day curry more than any other type of food.

more falafel please

forums poster

wow there's so much Sichuan peppercorn in this it's kinda too much

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

wow there's so much Sichuan peppercorn in this it's kinda too much

Gimme, it looks good

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

It looks like poo poo but it tastes real good. Also my mouth hurts so I did it right.

All about the taste BAYBEEEE

more falafel please

forums poster

it would look better if I had any non-orange bell peppers. the only thing that isn't brown is the chilies and scallions

and yeah it was just too much sichuan peppercorn. gonna have to cut it in half or more next time

Areola Grande

spicy as gently caress

now I just need some green onion, rice and steamed brocc

:thumbsup:

Areola Grande

Crock Pot Korean Beef

GREDIENTS
▢3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth (divided)
▢1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
▢1/3 cup brown sugar (packed)
▢5 cloves garlic (minced)
▢2 tablespoons sesame oil
▢2 tablespoons rice vinegar
▢2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
▢1-2 tablespoons Gochujang
▢1/2 teaspoon onion powder
▢1/2 teaspoon pepper
▢3-4 pound boneless beef chuck roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
▢1-2 tablespoons cornstarch (depending on desired sauce thickness)

STRUCTIONS
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup beef broth and next 9 ingredients (up to roast).
Place cubed roast into a slow cooker. A 4 or 5 quart slow cooker works well.
Pour sauce over cubed meat.
Cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours.
In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup broth.
Stir cornstarch mixture into the slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened

Prof. Crocodile

spicy as gently caress

this looks delish and spicy. that little tinge of red oil means good things.

Finger Prince

I made arepas according to this recipe:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...et-food-recipes

(I ate 2 already they were delicious)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

spicy as gently caress

Gimme them meats

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Finger Prince posted:

I made arepas according to this recipe:
https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...et-food-recipes

(I ate 2 already they were delicious)

Those are PERFECT arepas!!!!

Finger Prince

Teddy Thunders posted:

Those are PERFECT arepas!!!!

Thank you! They tasted perfect! They were fun to make too.

Finger Prince

I ate a third one! 😳

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??
I made some Sauerkraut with like, mock-teriyaki pork belly strips. No photo because it was pretty bachelor style (only I eat meat in my family)
But with some more thought and effort I feel I am onto an amazing flavour combination and subsequent meal.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Chicken lettuce wraps topped with green onions, sesame seeds and peanuts

Areola Grande

Bo-Pepper posted:

Chicken lettuce wraps topped with green onions, sesame seeds and peanuts

P.F. dang

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i went to my favorite store in the world - kalustyan’s

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bo-Pepper posted:

i went to my favorite store in the world - kalustyan’s

I miss them so much

Escape From Noise

I love a good spice market. Also love the real cinnamon

Finger Prince

I love a good spice market. Also love the real cinnamon

I learned the truth about real cinnamon and its use in hearty meaty stews or chili right on this here forum, many moons ago!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Going to be making a fresh batch of chili oil tomorrow. Will be the first time I use black cardamom and sand ginger which are traditional ingredients in a Sichuan chili oil. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it makes. I suspect quite a bit.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Also those facing heaven peppers

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Ok. It’s done. Best to let it steep another day before I really give it a go.

I have other pics for it during the making of it if folks are interested. I haven’t really tried it yet. The inclusion of the traditional ingredients is really throwing me for a loop. The smell let’s me know it’s very different from the oils I’ve made before and I’m interested to find out how I like it.

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Does anyone want to share any rapid, easy kitchen protrips?

Techniques, ingredients, anything. Whatever elevated your dining.

I'm thinking of "Let something sit an extra 2 minutes" here and an "Add a spoonful of peanut butter to your stir fry" there.

more falafel please

forums poster

this is very specifically for pasta, but: make your sauce in one pan, boil your pasta (in very well salted water! the water should taste like seawater! salt is cheap) in another pan for a minute less than the package instructions, transfer it into your sauce with whatever pasta water comes along for the ride, and then use a heat-proof measuring cup or something to get a half-cup or so (250 ml) of pasta water out of the pot. add a little bit of that salty starchy pasta water and finish cooking the pasta in the sauce while stirring a lot. your sauce has to have enough fat at this stage so if it doesn't add some butter or olive oil or cream or grated parm or any combination. you should end up with a beautifully emulsified sauce that is glossy and clings to every noodle like its life depends on it

more falafel please

forums poster

on a way more basic note: browning/crispiness only happens in the absence of water, so if you're trying to brown something that's releasing water, make sure the pan isn't crowded, cook it with enough fat, and you can hear the change from when it's releasing water and making steam noises to when it's browning and making frying noises

Gramps

Bright Bart posted:

I'm thinking of "Let something sit an extra 2 minutes" here and an "Add a spoonful of peanut butter to your stir fry" there.

The main things that have elevated my cooking are kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a cast iron skillet.

Also, it depends on the dish but I like to season in layers almost like I'm painting. I find that you get better depth of flavor that way. For example my chicken soup-I season the chicken thighs, cook them, then Sautee the vegetables in the rendered chicken fat and season a bit more, then once I add the broth I'll give it a taste and lightly season, and then again at the end I'll taste and add any additional seasoning it needs.

Finger Prince

Bright Bart posted:

White truffle oil to finish basically anything, but especially pasta. You don't need tons, which is good because it ain't cheap.

Secret sauce ingredient: vermouth, especially red or white (Martini Bianco, not regular dry, though that has its place too). Use in place of a splash of wine. Adds a sweet note to savoury sauces and more depth of flavour than just wine.

Chunk of cinammon stick in meaty stews, sauces and chilis.

Cooking fish en papillote. There are various ways to fold the parchment, maybe I'll make a quick video to show you mine.

Speaking of which, parchment paper. Way better than foil for most stuff you might have used foil for. Foil is really only good for covering things or like, protecting things from direct heat, or bbq stuff/live flame since it isn't flammable.

If I think of any others, I'll post more.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Bright Bart posted:

the biggest "level up" moment in my home cooking was when I started making my own sauces for individual dishes. it's not always worth it cause it requires extra time though.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Escape From Noise

Figuring out parboiling was a big one for me that I only picked up on embarrassingly recently.

more falafel please

forums poster

i got a really nice stainless steel fry pan for my birthday, and it's very nice. I've always wanted to like cast iron but I've never actually gotten the seasoning to the point where it's nonstick (which I'm sure is a technique problem). but most of the time I don't need a pan to be nonstick, and with this pan I can use any utensil I want and not worry about ruining it or scraping some junk in my food. it's nice and heavy too so it holds heat well

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Gramps posted:

fresh cracked pepper

YES! Take some unsalted cashews. Toss in a pan with some oil over low heat. Then finish with cracked black pepper.

DELICIOUS snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Learning a basic Indian curry base has helped me with a lot of that kind of stuff. Basically you need to fry cumin seeds and mustard seed, then diced onions, throw in crushed garlic and ginger, then add your dried red chilis and fresh or frozen green chilis, then your dry spices like chili powder, powdered cumin, and powdered turmeric, and garam masala, then diced tomato, simmer that, add protein, then add some fenugreek and stuff near the end. You can mix and match! It's a curry adventure!

Also making basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt makes it awesome.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig