Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jay-V posted:

should have made martian manhunter one of the starlabs janitors, not martha lmfao

He's also the general from MoS and BvS. Which means he watched two world-ending threats appear and was cool with it apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica
this is the ugliest film i have ever seen

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat, do you have a letterboxd account? I want to start watching what you're watching if this is the ugliest movie you've ever seen.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I watched it, had a good time. It's absolutely better than the theatrical cut, the four hours help the pacing and don't feel like a slog. Despite still being very muted it looked better, and I love the Flash stuff. Finally, a Snyder directed movie with Superman in it that's actually good/entertaining.

It was kinda frustrating to see all the threads laid down that aren't going to get pulled on (especially stuff like Spectre and Atom), and that epilogue was insufferably unnecessary. I especially could've done with never seeing Jared Leto as Joker again.

Stuff like the rough special effects didn't bother me and I didn't notice the aspect ratio after a while.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Bullbar posted:

(especially stuff like Spectre and Atom)

Wait what was the Spectre reference?

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Wait what was the Spectre reference?

The cop Jim Gordon is talking to is Crispus Allen.

Also movie is loving great and I'm not ok with leaving it there, we need to see this through to the end!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Away all Goats posted:

He's also the general from MoS and BvS. Which means he watched two world-ending threats appear and was cool with it apparently

In MoS he was actively involved in stopping the threat, and in BvS he was presumably in DC hundreds of miles away and the threat only lasted like half an hour

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Born-Again Batdad is a good Batman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ironically, a lot of people are confused and put off by Batman showing any emotional vulnerability and warmth.

DCAU Batman in the Justice League is interesting, since he's an odd mix of an aloof but utterly reliable ally and benefactor to them, and willing to give his life for the cause from the very start. I do like the bit where he recruits Green Arrow specifically acknowledging Arrow isn't a big fan of the whole concept- that they need a sceptic to point out when they're going too far.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm gonna watch the Whedon cut tonight. Change my mind.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Asteroid Alert posted:

As someone else who made this mistake

I shall not

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Asteroid Alert posted:

Nah, go for it.

It really sucks though.

Like RLM implicitly want every super hero movie to be a copy-paste of the MCU template and even they were still like "LOL EVERY WHEDON CHANGE WAS DUMB poo poo, X MILLION DOLLARS PER HACK JOKE WTF LOL"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Asteroid Alert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQRW0RM4V0k

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Asteroid Alert posted:

Have you considered watching the DuckTales finale instead?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

That's... wildly dumb. But its not worth losing sleep over what GBS says.

The gbs thread linked the description of the justice is grey version. It describes the Snydercut with the words grim and dark lol

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For the record ‘grimdarkness’ refers to both:

A) The literal amount of brightness in a film.

and

B) The degree to which the characters enjoy what they’re doing

….

All good points. Though I would make a slight adjustment to that definition, because the usage implies a void which generates the perception of extreme content. So grimdark-ness is:

A) The lack of brightness in a film
B) The lack of enjoyment had by the protagonists

which would foreground the negative characteristic of these two terms. Like people don’t characterize The Raid or horror movies as such.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The gbs thread linked the description of the justice is grey version. It describes the Snydercut with the words grim and dark lol

quote:

To hew even closer to Snyder’s ideal version, WarnerMedia is bringing Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Gray to its streaming service, featuring the same new cut of the film in an even darker and more grim color palette

Lol

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

sean10mm posted:

Nah, go for it.

It really sucks though.

Like RLM implicitly want every super hero movie to be a copy-paste of the MCU template and even they were still like "LOL EVERY WHEDON CHANGE WAS DUMB poo poo, X MILLION DOLLARS PER HACK JOKE WTF LOL"

When I watched their video they reminded me of that dumbass laughing scene between Cyborg and Superman after the boxes explode. Something about how he doesn't feel his toes, and doesn't understand how he can even feel his toes, and haha that is funny because he is robot. :barf:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That printed out list of Whedon-added jokes looked to have a couple of dozen on it. So they way overshot the cost of the reshoots (it was like $25 million) but a million dollars per lousy joke is still kind of accurate

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DCAU Batman in the Justice League is interesting, since he's an odd mix of an aloof but utterly reliable ally and benefactor to them, and willing to give his life for the cause from the very start. I do like the bit where he recruits Green Arrow specifically acknowledging Arrow isn't a big fan of the whole concept- that they need a sceptic to point out when they're going too far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFFie7ra8s4&t=138s

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mantis42 posted:

drat, do you have a letterboxd account? I want to start watching what you're watching if this is the ugliest movie you've ever seen.

Yeah like some of the CG was inevitably spotty but in general I thought it looked really good, loved how it was shot. And some CG stuff like Flash's final run looked outright great and genuinely striking to me. Like what in the Christ cutting that out for the Russian family thing lol

Steppenwolf's base/that whole final fight looked significantly better too. The effects on Steppenwolf's axe not being that video gamey laser thing from the Whedon version improved his look a lot on top of his outfit actually being completed this time.

One thing I do fault Snyder's version for, I don't care how unpopulated Chernobyl is or whatever, his based IS A GIANT GLOWING MECHANICAL RADIATION EGG!!!! How in the gently caress did even just regular human level surveillance/satellite/etc. stuff not immediately notice that lol

Loved the movie in general though, and it was very uplifting too which was nice. The team in the Whedon version never REALLY respected each other even at the end. And Whedon made Batman an angry dumbass. In this version Batman clearly is the only one who genuinely has faith in Superman and won't fight him. The Whedon version felt a lot darker since it felt like what it was trying to say was to make sure you manipulate the biggest gun to be on your side, while Snyder's version only Batman and Lois' faith and empathy for Superman is what gets him resurrected and recovered.

Superman's entrance at the final battle was waaaaaaaay better in Snyder's version too and I liked how much the regular human characters contributed to the Justice League coming together and winning too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 23, 2021

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked snyders use of frost breath vs whedons

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MacheteZombie posted:

I keep imagining the reshoots and joss screaming at cavill to blow harder

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sean10mm posted:

Their* lack of awareness of how they're contradicting themselves is pretty funny. Like one minute they're saying Zack Snyder doesn't give a poo poo about regular people, and the next minute they're gushing over the scenes where Iris is saved, calling the scene where Diana saves the school children one of the greatest action scenes in the film, and conveniently forgetting scenes where Aquaman saves a fisherman from a storm and when Cyborg does the $100,000 jackpot winner bank hack for the lady that's down on her luck.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 23, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

They're lack of awareness of how they're contradicting themselves is pretty funny. Like one minute they're saying Zack Snyder doesn't give a poo poo about regular people, and the next minute they're gushing over the scenes where Iris is saved, calling the scene where Diana saves the school children one of the greatest action scenes in the film, and conveniently forgetting scenes where Aquaman saves a fisherman from a storm and when Cyborg does the $100,000 jackpot winner bank hack for the lady that's down on her luck.

My biggest grip is them still being stuck on "you need to do it the MCU way to properly introduce these characters" even after 1) praising how the 3 totally new guys were introduced in this 4 hour version of the movie which had more room to breath and 2) being told that this was originally planned to be a 2 parter before the studio started mandating cut-backs. They seem convinced that the theoretical 2-parter would just be this exact movie split in half instead of a more robust version with extra action and character scenes added in. I feel like if we go back even further and WB stuck with Snyder's original big plan of MoS -> BvS -> solo WW -> JL trilogy + other solo films peppered between; that's plenty of time to introduce and flesh out characters that's both functionally really similar to the MCU method without being a rote copy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The CG isn't flawless and there are some shots here and there where they obviously just went "eh, good enough" which is to be expected from the circumstances of this movie's development. I'm also still not the biggest fan of how desaturated Snyder's movies tend to be. But I could never in a million years call this an UGLY movie. There are a ton of great and visually striking scenes all throughout it. The action scenes are weighty and exciting and there's a lot of creativity in how they showed stuff like Flash protecting civilians from falling rubble.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MacheteZombie posted:

Whedon’s freeze breath looked so loving stupid :laffo:

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

HBomberguy Begins

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1374122315206770688?s=19

He loves Zack Snyder and all his fans hate Zack Snyder, so the replies are hilarious

The replies to this thread really bummed me out. His followers just can't stand that he enjoys a movie that they already decided is bad, evil, or stupid. Even a guy they apparently respect can't get them to re-analyze their prejudices.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Been thinking about Wonder Woman exploding that chunk of building, and I'm kinda surprised no one's thrown out a theory: have we seen if it's actually possible for her to prevent her wristbands from exploding? It seems believable to me that once they've absorbed a bunch of energy they're just, gonna go off at some point and she can only choose in the short-term when to release that pressure.

I like that interpretation because it means rather than her just being a bit of a psycho in that moment, it just speaks to her warrior abilities really not meshing well with the human world.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Isn't wonderwoman bulletproof? Why she hitting bullets with her jewelry? For fun? Personal challenge?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Equeen posted:

Whedon’s freeze breath looked so loving stupid :laffo:

Haven’t seen the whedon version of freeze breath,how’d he gently caress it up?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pospysyl posted:

The replies to this thread really bummed me out. His followers just can't stand that he enjoys a movie that they already decided is bad, evil, or stupid. Even a guy they apparently respect can't get them to re-analyze their prejudices.

Hbomb has the Wrong Opinions on the bad snyder man, the star wars prequels, and best From game Dark Souls 2, but he's cool and good anyway

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Zzulu posted:

Isn't wonderwoman bulletproof? Why she hitting bullets with her jewelry? For fun? Personal challenge?

Idk, but I thought it was funny that she opted to super-speed block every round coming out of an automatic weapon instead of maybe just charging the dude with the gun before he can even fire/switch firing modes. They really built up the tension there and I remember just laughing at the resolution.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Wonder Woman's powers have never made a terrific amount of sense in these movies. She is basically impervious to harm and is incredibly fast, but still has to block bullets with her gauntlets/shield. She can also do like a sonic boom gauntlet thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grimdude posted:

I remember just laughing at the resolution.

I bet you didn't laugh and only thought of this later.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Zzulu posted:

In general regular old earth bullets won't straight up kill her but she can be stabbed/shot by powerful enough stuff and bleed/etc. Like a lot of comic stuff it's inconsistent and like you say it's generally considered weird that she's NOT bulletproof a lot of time considering who she is. IIRC in WW84 as an example she is straight up bulletproof until her powers weaken.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think in general she can take bullets but she's not impervious to them like Superman. I imagine getting shot with a revolver is the equivalent to a normal person getting shot with a paintball. Not pleasant but not gonna stop you dead.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Presumably it hurts! she actually just eats about 1-3 bullets directly to the back and grunts in pain towards the end of the bullet run. i thought it was a real neat touch (edit note i’m wrong lol)

Absolutely loved this film being in 4:3, i’ve been irritated as poo poo for years with these superhero movies making generally making absolutely no effort to emulate comics visually and it’s really pleasing to see such an effort. (Really suggest Captain America 1 for this too)

The Knightmare epilogue seemed absolutely essential imo to make it clear this was still the “bad timeline”. I love triumphal hero moments being underwritten by certain doom :doom:

Anyways, watched this movie for the first time yesterday and I obviously enjoyed it. Never bothered with the whedon cut so I can’t make any comparisons.

edit: ehhh after reviewing the bank scene at .25 speed for a bit i was definitely mistaken actually! just a lingering spark trail

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In WW she's grazed by a bullet on the beach but heals up by the time the Amazonian doctor looks at it. The doctor seems surprised by how quickly she healed so I guess we can assume that she's never sustained any real injuries her entire life. Although, in WW84 both Diana and Steve are surprised when she started to bleed from the bullets fired from the armored car during the desert chase scene.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 23, 2021