Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I still get a random string of alphanumeric characters appended to every text message I receive. No idea why or how to fix it. At least it's easy enough to ignore. (This only started happening with Fi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fi phones are unlocked, correct? I could buy an extra one and gift it to a T-Mobile user, they could activate it no problem?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That ought to be no problem since T Mobile is one of the networks Google buys use from.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to start a new job, they don't provide a cell phone but I'm expected to be available via cell phone. Is it possible to set up a Google Voice number to be a second number to contact my personal cell phone, preferably one I could set a different ringer/text tone for?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanatosian posted:

I'm about to start a new job, they don't provide a cell phone but I'm expected to be available via cell phone. Is it possible to set up a Google Voice number to be a second number to contact my personal cell phone, preferably one I could set a different ringer/text tone for?

How would you be available by cell phone if you didn't have one and they don't provide one? They are definitely fuckers if they won't give you a phone or phone allowance and expect you to be available by cell. Anyway, you can use google voice but you cannot use the phone number of a google fi phone to be the linked to number on your google voice. You can keep the google voice app on your google fi phone and see that there have been calls or voicemails to it but I'm not sure it will actively ring. I'm not certain but I also believe you can't use the same google account for both for some reason (I may be wrong about this one). I have a second cell phone number on Ting so I just use that as my google voice forwarded number and just have to hit skip in the google voice app on my google fi phone when it wants to link voice to that phone number. I just get notified about voicemails and can make calls on voice but don't seem to be able to answer them on my Fi phone.

It's kind of frustrating that google can't make these two services work together better.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

How would you be available by cell phone if you didn't have one and they don't provide one? They are definitely fuckers if they won't give you a phone or phone allowance and expect you to be available by cell. Anyway, you can use google voice but you cannot use the phone number of a google fi phone to be the linked to number on your google voice. You can keep the google voice app on your google fi phone and see that there have been calls or voicemails to it but I'm not sure it will actively ring. I'm not certain but I also believe you can't use the same google account for both for some reason (I may be wrong about this one). I have a second cell phone number on Ting so I just use that as my google voice forwarded number and just have to hit skip in the google voice app on my google fi phone when it wants to link voice to that phone number. I just get notified about voicemails and can make calls on voice but don't seem to be able to answer them on my Fi phone.

It's kind of frustrating that google can't make these two services work together better.
While I don't disagree, it's close to a six-figure salary, I think the assumption is you can afford a cell phone at that point (not worth pitching a fit over, probably just add a line to my Google Fi plan).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A cell phone allowance in your pay check is taxed differently than your base salary.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thanatosian posted:

While I don't disagree, it's close to a six-figure salary, I think the assumption is you can afford a cell phone at that point (not worth pitching a fit over, probably just add a line to my Google Fi plan).

Yeah, a second line makes sense in that case.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Dunno how long its been going or how long it will last, but If anyone else is looking for a decent budget phone, Google Fi store is selling Moto G Power for $50 ($200 off msrp apparently).
The discount terms are only for either new service activation, or transferring your existing Fi service from another device. So no buying to resell or use with another provider I guess.

Anyways, can't beat that price IMO, and I got to replace my somewhat aging Moto X4 for something with a lot more battery life, and better CPU, RAM, cameras etc.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Dunno how long its been going or how long it will last, but If anyone else is looking for a decent budget phone, Google Fi store is selling Moto G Power for $50 ($200 off msrp apparently).
The discount terms are only for either new service activation, or transferring your existing Fi service from another device. So no buying to resell or use with another provider I guess.

Anyways, can't beat that price IMO, and I got to replace my somewhat aging Moto X4 for something with a lot more battery life, and better CPU, RAM, cameras etc.

I think I'm gonna use an old phone to get a line with Ting then port it.

I mean, I actually want to use the phone on Fi, I just don't want to pay $250 for it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Nice tip, thanks. I like my moto x4 enough that I wasn't looking at replacements yet but a $49 upgrade is worth doing.

E: and they let you finance it so lol $2/mo aka basically free as compared to how much my data swings month by month

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

peepsalot posted:

Replaced my wife's X4 with this not too long ago and she really likes it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The G Power is still on sale, and I fully endorse it. I got one for my wife after she broke the replacement screen on the Moto G she has. At a glance it's quite comparable to my Pixel 3XL, though I haven't played with the cameras yet. At $50 dollars it's a loving steal and to me, actually tips the value of Google Fi back into a more favorable area. We're still on it since my wife uses approximately zero data a month since she's schooling from home. The battery life appears tremendous and the back of the case is actually a somewhat grippy, glossy material, though we went with a cheap clear case anyway since we're tired of her destroying it. poo poo I'm actually tempted to trade in my 3XL for $155 and get the G Power to replace it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I got my kid a Power to replace his X4 and he loves it. For $50 and $25 trade-in for the X4? Absolute no-brainer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Got my G Power last summer and I love it. Just wish I could get a $50 one brand new for my dad to replace his frustrating LG. He's on Sprint T-Mobile but I guess the deal's only for Fi users, new or current.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I recently jumped off Google Fi in favor of Verizon, just a couple of things for anyone dealing with this:

1) You need to individually cancel each line to get the account number and PIN to port the numbers.
2) If you want to use Messages web interface from another device, you have to uninstall it and reinstall it on your phone before it will recognize that you're no longer a Fi customer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

I recently jumped off Google Fi in favor of Verizon, just a couple of things for anyone dealing with this:

1) You need to individually cancel each line to get the account number and PIN to port the numbers.
2) If you want to use Messages web interface from another device, you have to uninstall it and reinstall it on your phone before it will recognize that you're no longer a Fi customer.

Good info, I'm definitely eying Verizon once they roll out 5G home broadband here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I've got a Pixel 3 XL. Just finished paying it off from that insane deal where you got like a $900 gift card for spending $900 on the phone so it was "free". This Moto G Power looks like it's got approximately the same screen size - my googling turns up XL has 6.3", G Power has 6.4" - is that accurate? I love the size of my XL and would not mind getting a newer phone while it's fuckin $50.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't think the power g is better than the 3xl. I got one for my wife, it's pretty nice though. If you need the extended battery life, that might be a good reason.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LRADIKAL posted:

I don't think the power g is better than the 3xl. I got one for my wife, it's pretty nice though. If you need the extended battery life, that might be a good reason.
Eh, I don't actively need it. The back of my 3xl is coming loose and I'm salty that it's all one piece and hard to replace, that's my main motivator (but it's not actually loose, just on one side, so it's not urgent to replace...)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
if it's loose like that, you can buy some phone glue and fix it. Heat the back of the phone, peel it off the rest of the way, pull out the old poo poo, and glue up the seam, clamp it up. Ifixit et all have instructions.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Smashed my 2020 Moto G Power's screen on the sidewalk today, Fi offered to let me take it someplace to get it repaired for $19, or replace it for $39. I went with the latter, figuring I might get a fresher battery.

The replacement phone will be a G8 Power. Doesn't seem like there's much difference, unless I'm missing something. It's refurbished, anyone know if Google's refurbishment includes installing a new battery?

I might offer the G8 to my dad and if he wants it I'll just order myself one of the other Motos on sale.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rexxed posted:

FYI, I think this is no longer the case.

Last year I tried to switch to Fi, and was told I had to either lose my GV number, or port it to Fi to use as my new "main" carrier number.

I tried the port and it failed after like 5 or 6 tries over the course of the month, so I gave up on Fi since the GV number is the one I use for almost everything (I only use my carrier number for a few 2-factor things that can't use an authenticator app basically.)

But I looked again last week and they've changed that policy, so I am in the process of porting my old carrier number, but I will still have my GV number.

I got the new Moto G Power cause it's on sale and also has a bill credit, though I might not get that since I'm not technically a new customer, a returning one? We'll see. Regardless, has to be better than my old Pixel 3a with a broken screen, crummy battery life, and random reboots.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

DrBouvenstein posted:

FYI, I think this is no longer the case.

Last year I tried to switch to Fi, and was told I had to either lose my GV number, or port it to Fi to use as my new "main" carrier number.

I tried the port and it failed after like 5 or 6 tries over the course of the month, so I gave up on Fi since the GV number is the one I use for almost everything (I only use my carrier number for a few 2-factor things that can't use an authenticator app basically.)

But I looked again last week and they've changed that policy, so I am in the process of porting my old carrier number, but I will still have my GV number.

I got the new Moto G Power cause it's on sale and also has a bill credit, though I might not get that since I'm not technically a new customer, a returning one? We'll see. Regardless, has to be better than my old Pixel 3a with a broken screen, crummy battery life, and random reboots.

Oh wow you're right:
https://support.google.com/fi/thread/54962217?hl=en

quote:

Google Voice and Google Fi Now Work Together

Hello everyone,

We are excited to share Google Voice now works with Google Fi.

Moving forward, you can have separate Fi & Voice numbers on the same Google account. You can use the two numbers for different purposes, such as one for family & friends and the other for business. To receive calls in one central place, set up call forwarding on the Google Voice settings page.

If you would like to move your Fi number back to Google Voice and get a new Fi number, you can follow the instructions here.

This feature starts rolling out today and will be available to everyone in the upcoming days.
__

More questions? Check out our FAQ page, or let us know here!

Thanks,
Charlotte, Google Fi Community Manager
Details
Service and Coverage, Start discussion / Share a tip

That will make things easier.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Well, that's awesome, but now I'm annoyed that I migrated from Voice to Fi last year. When I use the link to transfer the number back to voice, it just tells me "Unfortunately, your Google account isn't eligible to transfer a number to Google Voice." That's frustrating because I'd rather use Voice for texts, but I'm not gonna change my number again.

Weirdly, I can open Google Voice just fine, and it has all my texts from Fi.. up to Sunday 2/28 of last week, but no further, for whatever reason. It won't let me send anything from there either, telling me I have to get a Google Voice number. I wonder if they have plans on just merging the two ultimately? That would be awesome. I don't need two numbers, Voice just works better for texts and always has.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Is a google Fi phone "unlocked" if not specified as such? I was on Fi for a while and bought a Pixel 5 from them. I just switched to AT&T for a bundling discount with my home internet. It worked fine with the AT&T sim for 10 days and suddenly I have no service. AT&T is blaming it on my "bring your own" phone. Not sure if there is any legitimacy to that. Shouldn't it have never worked if that was the case?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

rockear posted:

Is a google Fi phone "unlocked" if not specified as such? I was on Fi for a while and bought a Pixel 5 from them. I just switched to AT&T for a bundling discount with my home internet. It worked fine with the AT&T sim for 10 days and suddenly I have no service. AT&T is blaming it on my "bring your own" phone. Not sure if there is any legitimacy to that. Shouldn't it have never worked if that was the case?

All phones from Fi or the Google Store are unlocked. Whatever the issue, it isn't due to your phone being locked to another carrier.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rockear posted:

...AT&T...

I think I see your problem.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Hmm, the plot thickens... I popped the AT&T sim into my old Pixel 2XL and it works. I guess this is now well outside the scope of the Fi thread, so I'll refrain from making this thread my troubleshooting diary, but if anyone recognizes my problem and wants to PM me or something that would be appreciated.

rockear fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2021

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

rockear posted:

Hmm, the plot thickens... I popped the AT&T sim into my old Pixel 2XL and it works. I guess this is now well outside the scope of the Fi thread, so I'll refrain from making this thread my troubleshooting diary, but if anyone recognizes my problem and wants to PM me or something that would be appreciated.

Has Google been paid for the 5 in full? Google will eventually blacklist the phone if you owe them money (e.g. if you ported out before fulfilling a promotion's requirements, and they couldn't charge the card on file for the rest of the phone's full price). They've also occasionally hosed up and blacklisted phones they shouldn't have.

But AT&T should have be able to tell you if the phone's blacklisted if the rep was competent.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 18, 2021

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I paid up front for the phone. Turns out an android update that was pushed out a few days ago broke something. I found some other people with the same issue. Factory reset and now it's working fine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So a few weeks back I dropped my Moto G Power and smashed the screen. I have the insurance, so I contacted Fi support. For $19 I could take it to a shop to replace the screen, or for $39, I could get a new phone and send the old one back. I chose the latter.

New (refurb) phone arrives, I pack up the old one with the RMA slip and use the provided FedEx label to return it. As the weeks pass, I get emails saying "Have you returned your old phone yet?" I check the tracking and see it was signed for on March 11th.

Today I get an email saying "We have charged you for your new phone" and I'm seeing red, so I get on a chat support with the Google Store. They transfer me to Fi chat support who tells me, "It's not a charge, it's a hold. You should see it released in 2-14 business days."

Is this accurate? Everything in the email says it's a charge. Should I give them the benefit of doubt and wait to see if this is true? Or try again and see if I reach someone else who tells me different?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any reason to stay on Fi now that Mint exists?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

FogHelmut posted:

Any reason to stay on Fi now that Mint exists?

Does Mint "roam" legacy Sprint towers? Depending on your location, and if you travel outside of prime T-Mobile coverage areas, it can make a difference. There was a rumor that T-Mobile would eventually start letting MVNOs like Mint have access for capable devices. Otherwise Fi is the only one that currently does that native.

But yeah Mint is pretty great.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"It's not a charge, it's a hold. You should see it released in 2-14 business days."

Is this accurate? Everything in the email says it's a charge. Should I give them the benefit of doubt and wait to see if this is true? Or try again and see if I reach someone else who tells me different?

What does your credit card say?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Untagged posted:

Does Mint "roam" legacy Sprint towers? Depending on your location, and if you travel outside of prime T-Mobile coverage areas, it can make a difference. There was a rumor that T-Mobile would eventually start letting MVNOs like Mint have access for capable devices. Otherwise Fi is the only one that currently does that native.

But yeah Mint is pretty great.

In my experience, Fi putting me on Sprint towers has been rare, and also very noticeable because my connection suddenly turns to crap. So I force back to T-Mobile with Signal Spy, because oddly there's a better T-Mobile signal right there anyway.

I don't think I've ever been to a state that has US Cellular.

I mean, 5 years ago Fi was the cheapest value. But now, Mint is just giving away data like it's Europe or something. I'm often in that 3 gigabyte range where Fi is no longer competitive, and other carriers have caught up with the perks, and Fi doesn't give the Pixel discounts it did early on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

St_Ides posted:

What does your credit card say?

Says the charge is pending

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

FogHelmut posted:

In my experience, Fi putting me on Sprint towers has been rare, and also very noticeable because my connection suddenly turns to crap. So I force back to T-Mobile with Signal Spy, because oddly there's a better T-Mobile signal right there anyway.

I don't think I've ever been to a state that has US Cellular.

I mean, 5 years ago Fi was the cheapest value. But now, Mint is just giving away data like it's Europe or something. I'm often in that 3 gigabyte range where Fi is no longer competitive, and other carriers have caught up with the perks, and Fi doesn't give the Pixel discounts it did early on.

The mint plans are decent but I was happy to get the Pixel 4a 5G for $349 on black friday weekend and finance it for 0% through fi. I think the google store will also finance stuff but it's not bad to just have it on my bill. Also I regularly see my phone switch from sprint to t-mobile but I've only seen US Cellular when I was road tripping from TX to PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
How well does Mint handle international travel? Because while I'm not doing business travel now, that was the #1 reason I wouldn't leave Fi pre-covid.