Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Yeah, the tablet part of it is going to be the big decision. And I guess which direction I end up going on its data plan will likely determine the phone/carrier I choose there

Thanks for the dumb phone recs -- I'm absolutely going that direction. Seems like a toss-up between Sonim and Kyocera's offerings to me right now, but I'm keeping Nokia in mind as well (mostly out of nostalgia. I miss my brick!)

I for sure would have kept spinning my wheels on a smart phone I straight up don't need, so thanks a ton for narrowing my focus. I may even switch to a dumb personal phone, honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Heyo, I'm in the market for a new phone, probably get the Pixel 5. Is there a deal on them anywhere?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My wife's phone finally stopped working enough for her to need a new one. However, she's super picky in that she wants a small phone (current is 4.7 inches, which is good) and also for it to be cheap. Is there any actual worthwhile small phones out there that aren't expensive? We're in Denmark, and for the record very plan agnostic.

She's been looking at an iPhone 8, how current would that be? Otherwise, she doesn't care about OS, although I would prefer something other than a Samsung.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
USA / Verizon

I have a pixel 2 right now with an LTE plan

Looking at around $500

Im really tempted by a phone with a stylus. I have a Microsoft surface and I get a lot of use out of the surface pen. Would a Samsung note 10 be OK, or is it too old and bogged down with Samsung apps?

Thank you!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
I'm looking for the best bang for buck replacement to a Samsung galaxy s8! The three things I want out of it are OLED, headphone port, and a display not larger than 6.2 inches or so.

Any suggestions?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BonHair posted:

She's been looking at an iPhone 8, how current would that be? Otherwise, she doesn't care about OS, although I would prefer something other than a Samsung.
I don't know what prices are like in Denmark, but it's probably worth your while to look into the iPhone SE. Same form factor as the 8, but two generations newer guts so it should be supported longer.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

My wife's phone finally stopped working enough for her to need a new one. However, she's super picky in that she wants a small phone (current is 4.7 inches, which is good) and also for it to be cheap. Is there any actual worthwhile small phones out there that aren't expensive? We're in Denmark, and for the record very plan agnostic.

iPhone SE Gen2?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Back to my dumb phone quest:

I thought I decided I wanted to get a Sonim XP5S but they need an accessory for a 3.5mm headphone jack which is annoying

I could do the XP5 which I'm not necessarily opposed to

I was also looking at the Kyocera DuraTR, and the ones I found for sale on eBay are all carrier locked to Sprint. I'd like to use Mint Mobile (which uses AT&T and T-Mobile's GSM networks)

The DuraTR seems to have full GSM capabilities, and I've found websites online advertising the ability to provide unlock codes for about $20/ea

Is that actually a thing? Being able to unlock (or pay someone to unlock) an unlocked phone with a clean whatever-ID-number that is locked to a specific carrier?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm like phone-impaired

BonHair posted:

4.7 inches, which is good
My eyes really lasered in on this

quote:

She's been looking at an iPhone 8, how current would that be?

Idk about the technical aspects, but I've got an iPhone 8 and haven't had any issues that weren't on my end

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

eighty-four merc posted:

Back to my dumb phone quest:

I thought I decided I wanted to get a Sonim XP5S but they need an accessory for a 3.5mm headphone jack which is annoying

I could do the XP5 which I'm not necessarily opposed to

I was also looking at the Kyocera DuraTR, and the ones I found for sale on eBay are all carrier locked to Sprint. I'd like to use Mint Mobile (which uses AT&T and T-Mobile's GSM networks)

The DuraTR seems to have full GSM capabilities, and I've found websites online advertising the ability to provide unlock codes for about $20/ea

Is that actually a thing? Being able to unlock (or pay someone to unlock) an unlocked phone with a clean whatever-ID-number that is locked to a specific carrier?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm like phone-impaired

My eyes really lasered in on this

Idk about the technical aspects, but I've got an iPhone 8 and haven't had any issues that weren't on my end

This is going to be a bit biased , because I have only worked for major carriers (yes Even Sprint was a major carrier) so here is my opinion here.

Personal phones are one thing. Get service wherever works for you. But for work / business phones, honestly , you should be on a major carrier. Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile. It’s the epitome of “pay so it just works;” and you need your business poo poo to work , and have support if god forbid you have an issue.

For the record, on any carriers , once you have 2ish years on your tax ID, you can open a bus account and a good amount of the time it’s a decent deal, although mileage varies. You could do it now, but you would likely have a deposit since the business is so new.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Personal phones are one thing. Get service wherever works for you. But for work / business phones, honestly , you should be on a major carrier. Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile. It’s the epitome of “pay so it just works;” and you need your business poo poo to work , and have support if god forbid you have an issue.

Yeah, this is a really good point. And is also generally how I approach things, so thanks for reminding me I'm being a dumbass on my own terms

I'm gonna go into the AT&T store and see what my best option is

Thinking I'll get the Sonim XP3 for business and a secondhand XP5 for personal to save some money / be able to tell them apart

Much as I'd like to run 2 XP5 phones like a cheap rear end, HD Voice on the XP3 as well as just being a current model dumb phone that can use more bands or whatever seems to make it a no brainer

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are there decent budget phones anymore? A few years back I picked up a Blu R1 HD for like $60. It did everything I needed it to do but there was some crap with Blu selling data and most people suggested to stop using the phone.

I'm just exhausted by paying $600+ for a phone that barely works for poo poo after a year and a half. Hell I think we paid more for for galaxy I have now that require a reboot 3 times a weeks
Is there anything like this on the market anymore? Budget phones?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What budget? For $200ish the Moto G Power gets great reviews. Cheaper than that, I'd probably go with the most recent model 1+ that's in your budget on Swappa. I bet you can find a 5t for under $100 and that's a great phone.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
$200 is pretty reasonable, ill look into that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Iirc the 2021 version has a better cpu but worse screen than the 2020 model, pick whichever is more important

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm looking for a mid/high end phone with a 6-6.3 inch non-curved screen, either now or coming out in the next 6 months.

It'll be an upgrade for my Huawei P30 (which I've loved). Nothing out there interests me. OnePlus has too many issues in Australia to consider, the latest Oppo X3 range are too big, the Pixel 4a doesn't feel like an upgrade... it feels like the Samsung Galaxy S21 is the only option, but it doesn't excite me at all.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

eighty-four merc posted:

Yeah, this is a really good point. And is also generally how I approach things, so thanks for reminding me I'm being a dumbass on my own terms

I'm gonna go into the AT&T store and see what my best option is

Thinking I'll get the Sonim XP3 for business and a secondhand XP5 for personal to save some money / be able to tell them apart

Much as I'd like to run 2 XP5 phones like a cheap rear end, HD Voice on the XP3 as well as just being a current model dumb phone that can use more bands or whatever seems to make it a no brainer

I used an xp5 for five years as a truck/work phone and I loved it. Dropped it off an excavator into shell rock and it was fine and it fell into the intercostal once. ATT says it's going to 4ge or whatever and is phasing it out and only offers the XP5s now which I got and like a lot too.

Been looking at the XP3 for a personal phone.

As far as I know they don't carry any sonim stuff in the ATT stores.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I looked for a general enough thread in IYG or SHSC to ask this question and this is the closest fit without creating my own thread.

Does anyone use a virtual SMS number service to be able to have several people have access to SMS authorization texts for various site logins?

Two examples pop into mind. I help manage the incoming messages of a facebook profile with a fair amount of followers. Currently I have to bother the person in question whenever I am logging in for the SMS code which is not always convenient to myself of the other person. The problem is that it's a "profile" and not a "page", which can have multiple administrators. I have no idea if we can use authenticators for multiple people or not (probably not). I have not been able to add my device as a trusted device or change the authentication method to e-mail (which I have access to as well).

Another situation is I manage audiobook production on amazon's ACX site. Because it's stupid, it's tied to someone's personal amazon account. Same problem, I have to bug the person for the code every time I log in.

I have found through some research that the most typical companies that offer this service cannot receive SMS authorization text messages. I found one service that does this but I'm not sure if it's just bad-idea-alert or not

https://freeje.com/services/sms-number

It seems to me just throwing a "virtual" SMS number at it that can then hopefully be forwarded to multiple other numbers or e-mails or something is the easiest solution to both problems.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
For Facebook, if you switch to authentication tokens and use the same one to set up each device, they should be in sync.

Frankly, the solution seems to be to change from personal to business accounts that support multiple admins.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 1, 2021

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Uthor posted:

For Facebook, if you switch to authentication tokens and use the same one to set up each device, they should be in sync.

Frankly, the solution seems to be to change from personal to business accounts that support multiple admins.

I will try to look into that.

The author has a "page", which can have multiple admins, but the page needs linked to a "profile", which can not be managed in the same way. The messages are going to the profile, not the page, and that's what we're having problems with.

I am not an expert by any means, but from what I understand this is a common issue/gripe/complaint in the independent publishing realm.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
VOIP is generally banned from all sites for abuse and spam. Account sharing is also permanently bannable (and will hit your employees' personal accounts too if any).

If this is social media, the solution that everyone uses is to use a service like Sprinklr or Hootsuite, basically social media for enterprise.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I use MetroPCS and I love giant phones, I was thinking of getting that LG phone that has the extra screen attachment on it, but is there something better? My budget is in the 400 - 500 range, and I'm looking for something big that can still take calls and stuff, I'd like it to be able to fold up and put in my pocket, but the only one like that costs like 3k right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
lg is getting rid of their phone business soon and will also stop supporting existing models. do not buy an lg phone

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

butt dickus posted:

lg is getting rid of their phone business soon and will also stop supporting existing models. do not buy an lg phone
This was true even before they decided to stop making them, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
agreed, but i'm trying to keep most of my snobbery to the android thread

they're also not the worst
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/03/03/android-phone-security-update-tracker/

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Looking for a dumb phone, don't need any apps, just sms and call. Verizon/US. Budget is whatever.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SchnorkIes posted:

Looking for a dumb phone, don't need any apps, just sms and call. Verizon/US. Budget is whatever.

The Orbic Journey is fine. It’s $100. Plan wise is a Max of $30 a month, probably $20 if an add on to a plan.

PM for a referral code and/or if you need help or have questions.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I ended up going with a Galaxy S20 Ultra that was renewed by Amazon.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

This is half do I need a new phone question as my S3 can't get onto 4g in the city I live in. I drive out to work and I get it there, but not in town. Friends have 4g in my house on the same network so it might just be a phone thing?

Country/Provider: France/SFR

Budget (phone/plan): Planning on buying the phone outright, around 350 euro max? It puts me right at pixel 4a level

Features I know I want: something not far off the size of the S3 (the 4a is only a cm bigger I think)

Is this non-water resistant thing actually an issue? It rains a lot here so at some point I'm going to get dumped on with this in my pocket. Planning on getting a cover of some sort at least.

Given I've kept the S3 for this long I'd like something that can resist bumps and drops so I can keep it for a few years.
Not really that fussed about 5g compatibility even if I manage to hang on to a new phone for a while.

Basically will the 4a be able to last me a few years unless I like drop it in the ocean or off of a building

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a trick to getting a Galaxy S21U at the cheapest price? My Note 9 just fell and the screen is unusable. I see that the samsung website still offers about $200 trade in value for it, so I might go with that.

I am in the US, and I use ATT for now, for reference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there a trick to getting a Galaxy S21U at the cheapest price? My Note 9 just fell and the screen is unusable. I see that the samsung website still offers about $200 trade in value for it, so I might go with that.

I am in the US, and I use ATT for now, for reference.

If you’re open to switching, Verizon is offering a $800 trade in even if it’s damaged (how bad is the damage in the phone is the question?), plus a $200 gift card to switch. Have to be on a specific data plan and all that. If you want more details let me know.

In terms of outright, $200 off, no trade in or contract is not bad. It’s still a new phone, so it’s not likely to be heavily discounted , although the S20 series probably is somewhere.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Duckman2008 posted:

If you’re open to switching, Verizon is offering a $800 trade in even if it’s damaged (how bad is the damage in the phone is the question?), plus a $200 gift card to switch. Have to be on a specific data plan and all that. If you want more details let me know.

In terms of outright, $200 off, no trade in or contract is not bad. It’s still a new phone, so it’s not likely to be heavily discounted , although the S20 series probably is somewhere.

The glass has very small cracks on 2 of the corners, and one smallish crack on one of the edges. Where the edge crack is however, there is a line across the screen, and after it is on for some completely random amount of time (could be seconds, or a minute tops), everything on one side of the line that takes up 2/3s of the total vertical space turns white and flickers. You can make out what is on the screen if you look closely, and everything in the 1/3rd section looks fine. Nothing else on the phone appears to be damaged function wise. Got a link?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Guyver posted:

As far as I know they don't carry any sonim stuff in the ATT stores.

Yeah I went in to order a couple XP3's (one with and one without a camera, so I can tell them apart) at the AT&T store yesterday, and while they have a dummy model on their floor she was having to look up SKUs, check availability, etc. She was also concerned that the phone couldn't do a hotspot. I was like "I'm pretty sure it can tether too. Remember that?"

Ended up rescheduling since I guess the computer system took a poo poo and it was past close. They wanted a pretty healthy ($750) deposit from me too, which she thinks her business account guy may be able to bring down, but he was on vacation

If I end up having to do the deposit, it's not the end of the world (when she balked at deposit I was like "gently caress it, get it done"), but while my FEIN has only existed a couple months my personal credit is strong, so maybe I can be guarantor for account like I was with my line of credit with my business bank

I imagine my history with Verizon would be better for the deposit situation with them, but their bid came in higher with worse plans on each phone. And I'd rather get the XP3 over the DuraXV Extreme. Plus there's an AT&T store a quarter mile from my place, while all the Verizon stores are out of my way

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I actually bought the xp3. It does do hotspot if you got a plan with it.

I like it. Does everything I want it to. It's smaller and feels a good bit lighter than the xp5s. Nice big buttons you cab use with gloves and the PTT button is programmable now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

The glass has very small cracks on 2 of the corners, and one smallish crack on one of the edges. Where the edge crack is however, there is a line across the screen, and after it is on for some completely random amount of time (could be seconds, or a minute tops), everything on one side of the line that takes up 2/3s of the total vertical space turns white and flickers. You can make out what is on the screen if you look closely, and everything in the 1/3rd section looks fine. Nothing else on the phone appears to be damaged function wise. Got a link?

I can get you a referral code. I don’t think you have PMs, but you can email Jimplaysdrums (at) gmail and I’ll send my referral code your way. I can also send over any plan details, etc.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

Guyver posted:

I actually bought the xp3. It does do hotspot if you got a plan with it.

I like it. Does everything I want it to. It's smaller and feels a good bit lighter than the xp5s. Nice big buttons you cab use with gloves and the PTT button is programmable now.

Yeah I'm getting a hotspot plan on one of my mine. I saw the phone is capable of tethering but it's been so long I don't even know if I'd ever want to do that or could with windows

I really wanted to do the xp5s bc accessories are so cheap / available and I wouldn't have to fiddle with an aux cord for a hands free vehicle dock, but the buttons / ergonomics / size are just so much better with the xp3, and that's important when I'm going to be lugging two of them around

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Do any *true* pay as you go 4G hotspots exist? I used to use karma wifi but they went to a monthly model and my use case is 4G connectivity for a motorhome to do some remote monitoring type stuff that doesn't really warrant a monthly subscription that will only be used seasonally.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
just pop in a tmobile prepaid sim $50/100gb for a month? and pay for one month only?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

just pop in a tmobile prepaid sim $50/100gb for a month? and pay for one month only?

It may be this easy, I havent had this particular need before I usually just use my daily driver phone as a hotspot when needed. I am assuming I'd need an unlocked hotspot of some sort? Unless I just stick with T-Mobile

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

cr0y posted:

It may be this easy, I havent had this particular need before I usually just use my daily driver phone as a hotspot when needed. I am assuming I'd need an unlocked hotspot of some sort? Unless I just stick with T-Mobile

you can get a free tmo locked hotspot shipped 1 day ups https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

residential addresses only, turn off adblock (it does tons of super invasive stuff for to "prevent fraud"); you get a free 30 day sim hotspot plan that starts on first device boot. after that's used up and deactivated, just toss the sim. if you're technically inclined the device they ship you is incredibly insecure and can be unlocked via debug/usb (google snt t9 root).

after that, pick up a new tmobile prepaid sim and you can more or less just buy a day at a time or a month at a time of various amounts of data

Impotence fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

you can get a free tmo locked hotspot shipped 1 day ups https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-trial

residential addresses only, turn off adblock (it does tons of super invasive stuff for to "prevent fraud"); you get a free 30 day sim hotspot plan that starts on first device boot. after that's used up and deactivated, just toss the sim. if you're technically inclined the device they ship you is incredibly insecure and can be unlocked via debug/usb (google snt t9 root).

after that, pick up a new tmobile prepaid sim and you can more or less just buy a day at a time or a month at a time of various amounts of data

Oh god something I can hack/root the gently caress out of sign me up.

Thanks for the feedback goons, I got some tinkering to do.