Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Science Goy posted:

Dark Sky may be good, but is it $3.99 worth of good?

GAH, it's crazy how we don't blink at throwing a grand at a phone and hundreds at a watch, but paid apps need to be justified.

It was totally worth it. With Apple having purchased dark sky, question is whether they close it out at some point and move the features to their own weather app. So right now I would be hesitant to recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Science Goy posted:

Dark Sky may be good, but is it $3.99 worth of good?

GAH, it's crazy how we don't blink at throwing a grand at a phone and hundreds at a watch, but paid apps need to be justified.

Yeah the market has lost it's mind here. Have you ever bought a drink that you took a sip of and immediately hated? Surely risking $4 on an app is manageable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bigger problem is that if you bought a drink that tastes like rear end you can throw it in the garbage and move on. That app is bound to your account forever, taunting you, unless you take some annoying extra steps. :v:

It feels like all the high quality apps that actually do stuff are moving to subscription models anyways. $4 is basically a free app without ads (hopefully).

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just bought a watch 6th gen (gps only), Amazon suggest a Thursday date. Any special thing I should be made aware of? I plan to use it as a overglorified pebble, just notifications and calls management. The fitness part is a plus not the core feature for me, I am not that big on sports and training.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Turn off breathing reminders unless you regularly forget to breathe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Breathing reminders are good because you can do a breathe and get an HRV measurement taken.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Breathing reminders are good

:wrong:

One thing I’d really take a look at is the notifications you get on your phone and see which ones you really don’t care to see on the watch.

I had to turn off Twitter because that poo poo goes off like crazy (game deals and stuff).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah for sure go through every apps notifications and ask yourself “do I want this app buzzing my wrist on every notification it sends?”

I actually turned most of mine off except for stuff I want catching my attention vs I’ll see it next time I check my phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If only there was a way to disable notifications when someone reacts to a message in iMessages.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whoooo hit my March goal with 12 days to spare!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

xzzy posted:

If only there was a way to disable notifications when someone reacts to a message in iMessages.

:hmmyes:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I had posted the other day about my battery being under 10% after 20 hours (when it was normally around 30%) the days before.

Took the advice of a couple of posters and I rebooted my watch and the next day it was at 19% after 22 hours.

I decided to test it out with the always on display turned off. After 21 hours today, I am at 56%.

It is looking like I need to keep always on display turned off if I want to keep my watch lasting at least a day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are you awake for 20 hours? If you’re charging every night what difference does it make if it’s at 50% or 20% when it goes on the charger?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How do you know they're charging every night?

The watch does sleep tracking now and is really good for it, so there is a good argument for wanting 23 hours of the battery (or more, but you'll need to rest it for at least an hour at some point to charge it).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

It just surprised me the difference between always on display and not. I would not have expected it to have that much of an effect on the battery life (especially when Apple specifically mentions that they set it up to “preserve battery life”)

Also, I may not be able to get home and charge it at a regular time. For example, if I had not rebooted my watch the night before, I may have had my watch die on me while I was at school working on sub plans last night.

Going from less than 10% to over 30% (or even in the 20s) before charging just gives a little more security in case I cannot make it home at a regular time.

Edit: As was mentioned above, I do sleep tracking so I charge it right before bed and wear it while I sleep (also, it is easier for me to wake up with my watch vibrating).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xzzy posted:

How do you know they're charging every night?

The watch does sleep tracking now and is really good for it, so there is a good argument for wanting 23 hours of the battery (or more, but you'll need to rest it for at least an hour at some point to charge it).

Yeah, I wear it to sleep and let it charge at my desk for 15 mins a few times during the day. It thinks I get more sleep than I think I do, but we’ll figure it out.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I tried the sleep tracking for a week but didn’t find anything too useful with Apple’s sleep functionality in the health app. I know I get poo poo sleep as a new parent and having to charge it during the day was just enough hassle to make it not worth it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sleeping with a watch on is like sleeping with socks on. Gross.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
How else would I know that I'm special and that 99% of people sleep better than me?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm using my watch as an alarm. No radio alarm clock with a loud screeching anymore.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm using my watch as an alarm. No radio alarm clock with a loud screeching anymore.

That is a really nice feature and really the only reason I may try wearing it again over night in the future.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Violator posted:

That is a really nice feature and really the only reason I may try wearing it again over night in the future.

I wake up much easier. I use AutoSleep for my app (purchased it before Apple introduced their own sleep set up). I set my time that I want to wake up and for the 15 minutes before that, it does small vibrations every two minutes or so to wake me up at the time.

That is a much better way for me to wake up.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 20, 2021

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I wake up much easier. I use AutoSleep for my app (purchased it before Apple introduced their own sleep set up). I set my time that I want to wake up and for the 15 minutes before that, it does small vibrations every two minutes or so to wake me up at the time.

That is a much better way for me to wake up.

AutoSleep is still superior to Sleep Time, because the latter can't even understand the concept of daytime naps.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Apple Watch delivered and set up, I am a bit underwhelmed by the enroll procedure. It’s a lot more convoluted than every smart watch I used (android wear, garmin and pebble) and it was still incomplete(lot of stuff depending from running setups from the phone health app while first run wizard never mentioned anything). Also battery flat on delivery compared to the usual 30-something I’ve usually found on apple kit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have no idea what any piece of that post means.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:same:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

That i had to tinker more than my android wear or pebble watch OOBE to wrangle a useful device, with every single heart sensor asking me to jump on the phone to open health to put my birth date and confirm it(even if it's info already present in the health personal folder), with the app picker pane being a weird mess and a lot of stuff requiring me to jump thru hoops(like apple pay not being prominent during the configuration wizard and requiring me to go find it in submenus) and a lot of stuff that i can expect on a rando chinese band and not a 400€+ device. I will try to make it useful, I just was expecting something more intuitive, connect to phone, wait for sync, pick the hand the watch is on and app picker mode, that's it.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

anyone know why fitness exercise time would be lower than the tracked workouts? I took a 26min and a 37min bike ride today, but it’s only saying 39min in the rings

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For me bike workouts always grant exercise time, feels like a bug.

But some workouts (like an outdoor walk) won't give exercise time if your heart rate doesn't get high enough. Maybe bikes have the same rule?

Violator
May 15, 2003

They really should explain that better. It’s confusing.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

xzzy posted:

For me bike workouts always grant exercise time, feels like a bug.

But some workouts (like an outdoor walk) won't give exercise time if your heart rate doesn't get high enough. Maybe bikes have the same rule?

Is this "high for you", or over a fixed threshold? Because my outdoor walks always register the whole thing as exercise, and I worry it's because my pulse is naturally quite fast and so I'm cheating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Is this "high for you", or over a fixed threshold? Because my outdoor walks always register the whole thing as exercise, and I worry it's because my pulse is naturally quite fast and so I'm cheating.

No loving clue! Apple is a black box.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Bobstar posted:

my pulse is naturally low, so this makes me think it’s a fixed number i don’t consistently stay above, even when biking hard

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SlowBloke posted:

That i had to tinker more than my android wear or pebble watch OOBE to wrangle a useful device, with every single heart sensor asking me to jump on the phone to open health to put my birth date and confirm it(even if it's info already present in the health personal folder), with the app picker pane being a weird mess and a lot of stuff requiring me to jump thru hoops(like apple pay not being prominent during the configuration wizard and requiring me to go find it in submenus) and a lot of stuff that i can expect on a rando chinese band and not a 400€+ device. I will try to make it useful, I just was expecting something more intuitive, connect to phone, wait for sync, pick the hand the watch is on and app picker mode, that's it.

The making you confirm your health in an app and stuff is by design. Apple want want a phone with a $1 Chinese app that can siphon up all your health records.

E: Apple lay : double tap power button

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Bobstar posted:

I know that if I walk slowly enough I definitely don’t get exercise minutes. I don’t really remember if I have the same thing for cycling or not, though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Sleeping with a watch on is like sleeping with socks on. Gross.

When we went WFH because of COVID we were also given informal flextime as long as we were reasonable available during regular business hours should something important come up. My Apple Watch has been invaluable for this, sleep until 10? Sure, as long as I can glance at that email at 9AM, see if it is urgent, reply on my iPad that I keep next to my bed or if it more involved, pop into my home office before sleeping for a bit longer.

With my Apple Watch I am returning emails and phone calls from before 8AM until 12AM or later, my boss literally has no idea what hours I am actually working, nor does he care. This morning I woke up around 8, did some work in the home office, took a two hour nap in the afternoon, until I got an email from a co-worker saying some data I needed to complete a project was done, saw the alert on my watch that it was something I needed to work on ASAP.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fourwood posted:

I know that if I walk slowly enough I definitely don’t get exercise minutes. I don’t really remember if I have the same thing for cycling or not, though.

For me it seems to depend on the exercise. For "walking" related stuff like elliptical, step machines, treadmills it's something to do with both heart rate *and* gait speed (measured by arm swing it appears), but weirdly distance traveled doesn't seem to be a factor. I don't have a bike, but I imagine that might be tracked more as a distance over time thing. Lap swimming seems to be triggered by arm movements as well, since kick board exercises get logged at a tiny fraction of time spent.

After my heart surgery and I started cardio rehab, exercise minutes started to reflect reality since my pace was increased greatly and the majority of the equipment involved gross arm movement (elliptical, ergmeter, etc...), however the stationary bike and treadmill had a hard time registering exercise. With a little experimentation, I found when I held the rails/handlebars on that equipment it would only register 1-3 min out of 10 actual as exercise. If I let my arms hang freely, the movement created by my pace seemed to let the watch track every second.

It's still a black box to me, and it gets super annoying when I do cardio for 45 minutes and the watch only logs 15-20 of those minutes. I don't notice it as much anymore since almost all my cardio these days is on either an elliptical or a rowing machine. For weights I use Strong and it logs my time spent as I track my lifts so that's more manual than other exercises.

Regarding sleeping with the watch on, I do simply because I log my heart rate and SpO2 as close to 24/7 as I can. Pretty much the only time my watch isn't on my wrist is showering, cleaning the band/watch and charging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Put the watch around your ankle. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

Put the watch around your ankle. :v:

That actually used to be the answer for the early Fitbit bracelets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The “Functional Strength Training” workout will log anything, even if you’re asleep. Won’t produce a map, though.