Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the Chamber of Secrets thing counts as trying to do a terrorism to a high school, although I'm not sure how he knew that his dark lord's soul fragment would possess Ginny to try to kill other students. Or why he thought right then was such a great time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the Chamber of Secrets thing counts as trying to do a terrorism to a high school, although I'm not sure how he knew that his dark lord's soul fragment would possess Ginny to try to kill other students. Or why he thought right then was such a great time to do it.

One cool possibility is that Voldemort's whiny teenager soul portion in the diary and Voldemort The Guy In The Woods had differing ideas on how they wanted to spend the rest of their respective lives.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

He specifically didn't know it was a Horcrux, he just thought it was "cleverly enchanted" and he wanted to use it to discredit Arthur by having his daughter turn out to be murdering muggle-borns. Arthur was at the time trying to pass a Muggle Protection Act and if his own daughter turned out to be a murderous racist, that scandal ruins him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It would be cool if each Horcrux had different effects because it was a different part of his soul. Instead it's just the diary and the one ring amulet that are anything other than objects.

And a snake lady.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It would be cool if each Horcrux had different effects because it was a different part of his soul. Instead it's just the diary and the one ring amulet that are anything other than objects.

And a snake lady.

Harry also has weird powers :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Crouch Jr, Draco, and Wormtail are the only three with successful evil plans under their belt.

Also, for anyone who hasn't watched the films recently:

Book: Wormtail is ironically strangled by his silver hand
Movie: Dobby unceremoniously shoots him in the head with elf magic and loots his corpse

The movie we really needed was Dobby Unchained

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

I mean, Voldemort apparently didn’t have the presence of mind to just yeet Harry out of the window, so I think it’s all the inbreeding.

It is established in the first book wizard children bounce harmlessly when dropped from great heights.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think Dumbledore comes off all that great when you remove yourself from the mystique of him as the nice authority figure who is master of this the magical world.

I like to imagine that thanks to being a judge in the Triwizard tournament, Percy actually saw through Dumbledore's mystique and realized that he's an incompetent sham who got one student killed and endangered several others.

It's a way better explanation than him falling for Fudge's malarkey.

Sydin posted:

Like how Jo went through all the trouble of writing a terrible time travel plot for Cursed Child when she already apparently had a way more compelling plot hook of the vestigial Death Eaters around hatching a plot to get revenge on the Malfoys for Lucius being a snitch. Maybe have Lucius get shanked early and newly-appointed Auror Harry gets the task of guarding Draco, with wacky hijinks ensuing.

By wacky hijinks, do you mean that Harry and Draco finally admit their obsession with each other in their school years was because they wanted to smooch each other so bad?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

josh04 posted:

The death eaters we meet aren't the smartest bunch, to be fair. For every Lucious Malfoy there's a checks wiki Avery.

To be fair the same can be said of all fascists -- a bunch of really dumb, malevolently stupid people lead by much smarter but still malevolently dumb assholes

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
https://twitter.com/fanfiction_txt/status/1373827525567160321

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There is more stupid bullshit in the LotR movies than books, which have none :colbert:

Tom Bombadil was a pointless character and excluding him was the smartest choice any human had ever made in history.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But have you considered that he was a merry fellow? Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tom Bombadil is a really funny case given metaphysically he's basically a chill Cthulhu as far as Middle-Earth is concerned.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ho! Pointless plot diversion? Wrong-a-dong! Hop along!
Tom his chapters are the best! What reader needs an elfo?
Tom he is the master you, go gently caress yourselfo!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Tom Bombadil lives southeast of the Hobbits, therefore more evil.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tom Bombadil can sit on the council, but we do not grant him the rank of master. rip prequeldome

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ho! Pointless plot diversion? Wrong-a-dong! Hop along!
Tom his chapters are the best! What reader needs an elfo?

gently caress lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm not clicking this but I saw it and now you have to.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Coward.

At least right click, copy link, and paste it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
oh dear God

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They kind of phoned it in near the end

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I don't know how they landed on that description of Fenrir but they've burned it into my nightmares now

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

And starring Glenn Danzig as The Boy Who Lived

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How do I show shoulder length hair? Just add half a foot beyond shoulder length.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Harry was going through some things that year.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Please stop reading 2005 me's goth slytherharry fanfics tia

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Please stop reading 2005 me's goth slytherharry fanfics tia

we finally found My Immortal's author

also, username/post combo

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Those pics take me back to the days of browsing Elfwood on dialup and wishing I could draw as good.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

rollick posted:

Those pics take me back to the days of browsing Elfwood on dialup and wishing I could draw as good.

Holy gently caress Elfwood. I remember them! I haven't thought of them in like a decade!
Aaand they're apparently closed since 2016? Alas. Was hoping for a nostalgia voyage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Satan has no power or hold over Tom Bombadil because all he wants to do is gently caress his hot elf wife all day and he's already doing that

Tom Bombadil owns

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
On the other hand, he also doesn’t give a flying gently caress about dark lords or people suffering. So he’ll just not use his ability to completely resist the ring to save the entire world.

He’s a bad person and he’s bad writing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
like Harry Potter

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

pro click :allears: can't get over draco's

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Zesty posted:

On the other hand, he also doesn’t give a flying gently caress about dark lords or people suffering. So he’ll just not use his ability to completely resist the ring to save the entire world.

He’s a bad person and he’s bad writing.

He does care about people suffering which is why he saves the hobbits several times. He just has old god ADD where after a century or two he would gradually forget about the ring and drop it somewhere and the whole cycle would start over.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A century or two? Just bring it to Rivendel. And then when they say drop it in the loving volcano, go drop it in the volcano, you goddamned demi-god. Took Frodo 6 months.

At the end of the LOTR, Gandalf mentioned how Tom doesn't care at all about what they've done.

"Just want to gather moss and grill."

Just absolute garbage creature, that Tom Bombadil.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

From what I remember (and its been forever and day since I've read LotR), its implied Tom's power is geographically limited.

But yeah, you be an immortal god-like being and try giving a gently caress after a while. Gandalf has to go rein in his brother.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tom Bombadil is apparently from Tolkien's children's stories. He stands out in Middle-Earth because he's from a different genre. Like if Star Wars had a cameo from the Muppets.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

From what I remember (and its been forever and day since I've read LotR), its implied Tom's power is geographically limited.

But yeah, you be an immortal god-like being and try giving a gently caress after a while. Gandalf has to go rein in his brother.

nah tom's limited range is self-imposed because he doesn't want to leave his wife, who is a river. he can go anywhere.

he's god-like in a sense, but his agency is limited by his nature. he only understands mortals in a very abstract way, doesn't even seem to understand the ring or why someone would want it. his immunity to the ring comes from that, not any godly resistance. he's not going to go traipsing around to do anything about it because he doesn't really do things, period. he's not a person, not in the same way that mortals are, or maiar like gandalf, or even the valar.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sounds like a really superfluous character to the LotR plot and excising him from the movies was a good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Tom Bombadil is apparently from Tolkien's children's stories. He stands out in Middle-Earth because he's from a different genre. Like if Star Wars had a cameo from the Muppets.

So...Jabba's Palace