Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
In the Yaki plotline for terrans, where the hell do I Find a connection to the Yaki? I'm at the big asteroid after blasting some customs officer out of the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

DJ Dizzy posted:

In the Yaki plotline for terrans, where the hell do I Find a connection to the Yaki? I'm at the big asteroid after blasting some customs officer out of the void.

There's an entrance so you can fly into the asteroid.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ZombyDog posted:

There's an entrance so you can fly into the asteroid.

Tried that. No dice.

Edit: Is there a mod somewhere that reverses the mining changes?

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I have a spoiler question about the end of the Yaki questline.

What's the consequences for the decision at the end to blow up the station vs informing the Terrans or placing the satellites?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Very interesting. Did you test combat vs travel engines? I feel like combat could win out at least when mining within the same sector.

Ah, yes I did, thank you. Combat only wins out over the course of about 50-70km, so not really great. TER combat vs ARG travel stretches that to about 100km in a drag race, but the slow boat time of subwarp speed hurts it bad enough to again only give it an edge at distances of 50ish km.

Here's a table of all the traders and mining ships that are potentially worthwhile based on speed/cargo stats. Any not listed are deleted because something else hauls more items and has faster speed, which is why neither Teladi L Freighter appears, the Shuyakus just dominate them.

The values are for 0 sector travel, to get relative value between L and M/S over multiple sectors, take the throughput value and multiply by .7 per sector of range. That seems to hold up for both mining and trading ships thanks to Ls having to stop and orient on every jump while Ms just cruise along.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do I set a ship to autotrade? I've got a mod which should mean i'm meeting the entry requirements but I don't see the option when giving orders.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

DJ Dizzy posted:

Tried that. No dice.

Look for a big pipe filled with a bunch of jagged rocks, it might seem like that's a sign of "you can't go here", but it's plenty big enough to jetpack into

Womyn Capote posted:

I have a spoiler question about the end of the Yaki questline.

What's the consequences for the decision at the end to blow up the station vs informing the Terrans or placing the satellites?

Blow the station: Yaki live, Terran stay normal, Xenon stay normal. Long term no change
Inform the Terrans: Yaki die, Terran send force to kill them but mostly stay normal, Xenon stay normal. Long Term, you lose access to Yaki
Place satelites: Yaki live, Terran focus changes into survival, Xenon focus efforts onto the Terran. Long Term, Sol becomes much more exciting and profitable

Zereth posted:

How do I set a ship to autotrade? I've got a mod which should mean i'm meeting the entry requirements but I don't see the option when giving orders.

Behavior>Default behavior>Autotrade in the ship info

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Autotrading I believe is set up as a default behaviour, so when you have a ship selected it should have tabs across the top left like information, behaviours, loadout etc. You can set a default behaviour for when there are no other orders, and autotrading is one of them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Antigravitas posted:

Iirc a police scanner will disable their camouflage.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

If you shoot a sca ship while it's still flagged as something else you will piss off the police.

Just went back and saw these. Thanks.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I did the science lady start and now I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am and I have two ships and a space station? And no money. What should I do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Chad Jihad posted:

I did the science lady start and now I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am and I have two ships and a space station? And no money. What should I do

Look around for some stations with yellow icons on your map; they'll have missions to do. Also go north to Hatikvah's Choice for another set of story missions that are easy to do and get you a third ship

Once you get 400-500k or so buy a gas miner and some resource probes and try to mine methane somewhere and you'll have easy income

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RBA Starblade posted:

Look around for some stations with yellow icons on your map; they'll have missions to do. Also go north to Hatikvah's Choice for another set of story missions that are easy to do and get you a third ship

What third ship?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

The Chad Jihad posted:

If the ship you left behind has a pilot you can order it to fly to you and it should find its way on its own all the while revealing the path on the map.

RBA Starblade posted:

Look around for some stations with yellow icons on your map; they'll have missions to do.

And then pretty much this. Missions and then and buy a miner for passive income. Very easy and easy missions are pretty much the only ones you'll be able to do to begin with, except the patrol sector one which is I believe medium, and all you need to do is sit in a sector for 20 minutes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taerkar posted:

What third ship?

You get to keep the Callisto the HAT station has you get in

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Huh. I just did that mission chain on my modded game and there was no Callisto.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taerkar posted:

Huh. I just did that mission chain on my modded game and there was no Callisto.

Oh weird; maybe it just gave me a ship to do the mission in because I arrived without a large enough cargo bay? The Pioneer questline upgraded my spacesuit for free too (supposedly, though I'm pretty sure I didn't get anything)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How did you get the delivery to do? The ship spawns with the goods in the hold and then you fly it to do the delivery.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh weird; maybe it just gave me a ship to do the mission in because I arrived without a large enough cargo bay? The Pioneer questline upgraded my spacesuit for free too (supposedly, though I'm pretty sure I didn't get anything)

You get improved thrusters and a blaster if you haven't upgraded your suit at all before doing that quest.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

big nipples big life posted:

You get improved thrusters and a blaster if you haven't upgraded your suit at all before doing that quest.

Oh, I had a blaster but not a thruster, so that's cool

e: I'm trying to recall, how large were the battles in war sectors in X3:AP WITHOUT mods? I had XRM so they were pretty giant and sprawling but in the base game was it just 10-20 ships at most like X4? It's odd (for a space game) how relatively peaceful everything is but it's still a nice change of pace

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I deactivated all my resource probes and my miners are doing a lot better now lol.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

How did you get the delivery to do? The ship spawns with the goods in the hold and then you fly it to do the delivery.

I bought the goods to deliver.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Thom12255 posted:

I deactivated all my resource probes and my miners are doing a lot better now lol.
Could have figured there was something going on when their beta response to people doing this and getting better results was to say "you just don't understand the algorithm. That just means you placed your probes bad."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taerkar posted:

I bought the goods to deliver.

Huh, did it ask you to do that? There is supposed to be a callisto parked on the HAT trading station pad with them in.

It might still be there in the internal storage.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
In my game the callisto got devoured by the station and I couldn't summon it from internal storage because the transfer ownership trigger didn't fire.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

What's the cheapest peice of poo poo ship I can get my hands on easily to load up with antimatter and explode for this scientist guy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any of the scouts, most likely, and don't bother with any parts you don't need. A kestrel is probably closest to you.

Though if you started with an Elite I might suggest stripping everything you can off it and blowing it up and buying yourself something new, because the elite is pretty lovely ship.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Discoverer Vanguard, actually.

I mean, "blow up your starting scout" is valid but i'll need a suggestion for a replacement "wander around finding things and dropping satellites" ship in that case :v:

EDIT: Or more accurately standing around in the cockpit while the guy i hired and trained to be a pilot does it, but.

Zereth fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 23, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Yeah, due to how weapons work in X4 anything with less than 2 guns is pretty much trash if it's not a super fast zippy boy.

If you do blow up your starting ship make sure to strip it of any good parts first. IIRC you get list price back.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It does have two guns but i'm avoiding fighting anything that's not a defenseless criminal-faction civilian ship.

I'm sure Tupmanckatslot would appreciate a ship to pilot where his head doesn't clip into the roof, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

Discoverer Vanguard, actually.

I mean, "blow up your starting scout" is valid but i'll need a suggestion for a replacement "wander around finding things and dropping satellites" ship in that case :v:

EDIT: Or more accurately standing around in the cockpit while the guy i hired and trained to be a pilot does it, but.

Discos are quite good as a combat scout because they have two guns, but a kestrel is literally better than the elite because it at least has a decent cargo hold and is faster.

If you have a disco and aren't looking to do specialized trading in high value goods to grind initial cash then I would suggest just buy the cheapest, smallest ship you can from a wharf, which is probably gonna be a kestrel from the teladi north of grand exchange. I can't remember if barebones elites are cheaper but you would need to fly west until you hit argon prime to get one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The least amount of thinking to this nothing question is: just buy a min spec scout and wave goodbye

You will soon be wasting even more significant pieces of stuff in the name of Economic Growth so don't dwell on it too much.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Before you know what you're doing and get your first big breaks you are trying to scrounge every credit though so I understand the trepidation. The nice thing about X4 is there are more opportunities I think to break into the moneymaking business compared to X3.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh it's not trepidation it's cheapness, yeah. I've got an autotrader running but they aren't producing cash very fast, since I couldn't afford much of a ship for it. Maybe I should've gotten a miner first oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
At least you don't have to trade energy cells in an M5 anymore. :shepface:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zereth posted:

Oh it's not trepidation it's cheapness, yeah. I've got an autotrader running but they aren't producing cash very fast, since I couldn't afford much of a ship for it. Maybe I should've gotten a miner first oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Miners I think are absolutely the way to go in this, the trading AI isn't very smart but the mining AI can generally fill up a cargo hold and sell it to a station, and there are plenty of stations around that need resources.

I also think miners are a bit cheaper than traders for some reason.

The economy sort of works in a broad sense but a lot of the individual actors are quite stupid.

Also unrelated but god drat I like the interior on the katana. Clean, spacious, and you don't need to use the lift.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Up to 15 capped pirate destroyers now. i dont even know what to do with them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

At least you don't have to trade energy cells in an M5 anymore. :shepface:
I recall in x3 hanging out by a whiskery distillery, waiting for somebody to undock, then scanning them with a police scanner and demanding they drop their cargo since it was illegal in the system, then having a freighter i looked up the location of and salvaged grab it and sell it back to the station, to get cash. :laugh:

OwlFancier posted:

Miners I think are absolutely the way to go in this, the trading AI isn't very smart but the mining AI can generally fill up a cargo hold and sell it to a station, and there are plenty of stations around that need resources.

I also think miners are a bit cheaper than traders for some reason.

The economy sort of works in a broad sense but a lot of the individual actors are quite stupid.

Also unrelated but god drat I like the interior on the katana. Clean, spacious, and you don't need to use the lift.
I'm not sure how to sell my courier and get a mining ship instead, and i'd need either new crew or somewhere to put my old crew while changing ships. A miner is next on the list after a sacrificial ship to get at the player HQ (if I'm understanding what questline i'm on correctly, anyway).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

queeb posted:

start a war

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

queeb posted:

I've just been selling them, I have no interest in Phoenixes or Behemoths. Two of them had mods but they weren't anything great. Only Odysseus Vanguards for my AI fleet please, and a single Rattlesnake for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

The only thing I'm not fond of is how much screen real estate the dashboard takes up when you're in control, but other than that the Katana is my favorite daily driver in this game by far. I'm glad Egosoft didn't just give the Terrans better stats across the board and call it a day, I really appreciate how their stuff has inherent advantages that aren't just "hee hoo number higher"