Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I really wish the messages and notifications showed up when you're in map view because that's where I spend like 90% of the game.

Also I wish music didn't stop when you docked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I was never patient enough to make money in X3 without salvage mods to war profiteer instantly

queeb posted:

Up to 15 capped pirate destroyers now. i dont even know what to do with them.

I've seen like one pirate destroyer and that was while I was still in my Rapier

The one marine didn't make it :v:

I'm almost ready to start boarding though! My frigate can take things on reasonably well and it has 15 marines ready to die for profitsss

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

where in the gently caress are the teladi wanting me to go to rank up here i keep going to brand new systems

maybe i should have dropped off my passenger who wanted me to go in the other direction first I thought this would be fast

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zereth posted:

where in the gently caress are the teladi wanting me to go to rank up here i keep going to brand new systems

maybe i should have dropped off my passenger who wanted me to go in the other direction first I thought this would be fast

They have a trade station on the far right-side of the map.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm almost ready to start boarding though! My frigate can take things on reasonably well and it has 15 marines ready to die for profitsss

Speaking of which, Egosoft, where’s my Teladi start goddamnit

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rhjamiz posted:

Speaking of which, Egosoft, where’s my Teladi start goddamnit

There's one in the base game, isn't there?

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Do I gain anything by building an administrative center in my factory sector, other than it turning from gray to my very own color?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to know where to look for a mission which wants me to drop a resource probe in a location of high concentration of stuff? Besides just dropping probes all over the system (in red hexes) until I find it?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
^Yes just drop things all over

3 posted:

There's one in the base game, isn't there?

You need to get I think rank 10 with Teladi or MIN to unlock it

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Guess I better go buy some more probes if this takes longer so I don't need to keep picking them up again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Do I gain anything by building an administrative center in my factory sector, other than it turning from gray to my very own color?

Yes, you now have police authority over that sector so you can start setting your ships to scan for theiving SCA ships in disguise. Claiming a sector also lets you declare wares illegal if you want to, but broadly the police authority is useful for really securing a sector aganst piracy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I had a "high yield" mission to find .25 ore and .25 hydrogen. I put it down outside the station and left.

Across the sector I had a probe that marked 3.0 ore and 1.5 hydrogen lmao

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

^Yes just drop things all over

You need to get I think rank 10 with Teladi or MIN to unlock it

Wait holy poo poo I had no idea.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Uh

My pilot seems to have gotten himself stuck inside an asteroid, is there anything I can do about this?

EDIT: I took control and rammed my way out. How did this happen in the first place :psylon:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I got myself stuck in an asteroid while Crystal mining. Easier than you think.

I had to shoot it until it went boom.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

Uh

My pilot seems to have gotten himself stuck inside an asteroid, is there anything I can do about this?

EDIT: I took control and rammed my way out. How did this happen in the first place :psylon:

It happens regularly to me, collision on asteroids isn't the best though it's easy to get out of them usually. Not alt-tabbing (since the game hates that lol) and no frame drops or anything

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Zereth posted:

Uh

It's just something that happens with the engine, it doesn't check every frame for a collision so sometimes ships will clip through into objects, you can always get back out eventually.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well I'm to the point where I'm building my first shipyards this save. However the input goods the shipyard wants are terran. I've set the global order to Universal ages ago but it's not effecting shipyards? Is there a toggle I'm missing?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are you using a terran shipyard blueprint? I believe they have their own type.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It happens regularly to me, collision on asteroids isn't the best though it's easy to get out of them usually. Not alt-tabbing (since the game hates that lol) and no frame drops or anything
I didn't hire somebody to pilot the ship I'm standing in for no reason. :colbert:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
No the shipyard itself is bog standard.

Looking closer it wants both regular and Terran inputs. I'm guessing it's for if a Terran ship is being built at my shipyard. I guess I'll wait and see.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just noticed that xenon took back 451 from the teladi, so i pop over and ah yes, this fleet would probably do it:

its an I and 4 Ks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The xenon seem quite meh over the southern portions of the universe while the north is getting riddled with xenon stations. It's weird.

The terrans have taken over south savage spur, the HOP have pushed into faulty logic, and the teladi are holding company regard quite handily.

I really wish they would just add a sort of frontier to the universe with a bunch of xenon core sectors and a big uncolonised border space with lots of interconnection. The xenon being confined to a bunch of pockets kinda limits their effectiveness I think.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 23, 2021

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Is there some requirement I'm missing in order to find a black market? I've been scanning a boatload of stations but haven't found a single mission that offers opening up a blackmarket trader. Can't craft the drat emp bombs.

At least I am getting some production modules to get a station up and running. Is ship hull considered a good starting station?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

ughhhh posted:

Is there some requirement I'm missing in order to find a black market? I've been scanning a boatload of stations but haven't found a single mission that offers opening up a blackmarket trader. Can't craft the drat emp bombs.

At least I am getting some production modules to get a station up and running. Is ship hull considered a good starting station?

The Segarian plot shows you the way to one at least if you start as a Terran Cadet.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

ughhhh posted:

Do any of the EMP bomb components require the black market? IIRC, you can get everything from asteroids, lockboxes and Xenon or Kha'ak ships. Haven't actually tried to make any yet this run, but am about to need them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

you can also straight up buy emp bombs from traders on pirate stations and free ports.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The xenon seem quite meh over the southern portions of the universe while the north is getting riddled with xenon stations. It's weird.

The terrans have taken over south savage spur, the HOP have pushed into faulty logic, and the teladi are holding company regard quite handily.

I really wish they would just add a sort of frontier to the universe with a bunch of xenon core sectors and a big uncolonised border space with lots of interconnection. The xenon being confined to a bunch of pockets kinda limits their effectiveness I think.

That would be awesome and terrifying. They are stupid powerful if they decide to be. Teladi may be holding strong in yours, but in mine, they have taken, Company Regard and all of Hewa's Twin, and are trying to push into Trinity Sanctum. A fleet of 1 I and 3 Ks from somewhere managed to wander into Profit Center Alpha and wipe out the equipment dock and both ship production stations also, so they're now also starting to lose ground up north in Ianamus. I was about to do a new run and make some different story decisions, but now I'm going to just let things run overnight and see how bad it gets

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to tell if a station is in range of one of my sattelites other than going away and seeing if it changes to "Time until information expires"?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

if you select the satellite it has a little range ring.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019

chglcu posted:

Do any of the EMP bomb components require the black market? IIRC, you can get everything from asteroids, lockboxes and Xenon or Kha'ak ships. Haven't actually tried to make any yet this run, but am about to need them.

I think lodestones only drop from asteroids, but regular traders sometimes carry them. The remote detonators & secure containers are both in lockboxes and from pirate drops. I'm not sure they drop from xenon/kha'ak though, I think they only have SETA and mod components.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh, google found me a better way of getting out of stuck things: select a station far away and choose External View and suddenly collision stops being checked for your ship.

Which is good because I was REALLY stuck in that station.

Also do satellites have vertical range because sometimes it looks like a station is in range but it isn't.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Zereth posted:

Oh, google found me a better way of getting out of stuck things: select a station far away and choose External View and suddenly collision stops being checked for your ship.

yeah, kinda funnily the high attention zone is around the camera, not around the player, so

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zereth posted:

Also do satellites have vertical range because sometimes it looks like a station is in range but it isn't.

Sats have a circle. Sometimes stations are above or below the ecliptic. If you order a ship to drop a sat and tilt the camera a bit, you can move the drop marker by click-draging it while holding alt.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
It's finally time to switch to a Rattlesnake. So thinking about the optimal loadout as player ship, maybe something like:

Engine: SPL Travel
Shields: All TER MK3, they look to be plain better in every way that I can see
4x PAR L Plasma Turrets (front mount) - Set to attack current target
2x ARG L Beam or pulse (back mount) - Set to attack fighters. Or just more plasmas set to attack capital.
M turrets all ARG Flak?

Biggest question mark is the engine, SPL have the highest cruising speed but with that insane TER shield capacity I might just be boosting all over the place and it could be worth it to get more travel speed.
Do TER have plasma turrets? I don't see them at the Segaris shipyard at least.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
L turrets can't track, just put even more Plasma in there.

Beams are only worth it if you have enough to fry a fighter before it can evade. Once you reach a critical mass of beams they become more effective than anything else at frying fighters, but in small numbers they are ineffective.

M turrets all flak, indeed.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

sloppy portmanteau posted:

It's finally time to switch to a Rattlesnake. So thinking about the optimal loadout as player ship, maybe something like:

Engine: SPL Travel
Shields: All TER MK3, they look to be plain better in every way that I can see
4x PAR L Plasma Turrets (front mount) - Set to attack current target
2x ARG L Beam or pulse (back mount) - Set to attack fighters. Or just more plasmas set to attack capital.
M turrets all ARG Flak?

Biggest question mark is the engine, SPL have the highest cruising speed but with that insane TER shield capacity I might just be boosting all over the place and it could be worth it to get more travel speed.
Do TER have plasma turrets? I don't see them at the Segaris shipyard at least.

Engine: GOOD GOD DO NOT USE SPLIT ENGINES! They take 25% longer to get up to speed than anything else. Use Terran, they are twice as powerful, and you probably will want All-Around over Travel, for both the sub warp speed boost, and that it gets into warp faster than a travel drive
Shields: Yeah, TER have a higher mk level for shields of M and above and are best to use. S shields, TEL are better
Turrets: The PAR and TEL weapons always feel like they have too much difficulty in tracking, ARG have double their tracking and minimal DPS and range falloff in comparison. SPL give about as good tracking and more DPS potential, so either of those are good choices for race choice. Don't use beam turrets of any size, they're just absolutely terrible and do no damage in addition to having worse tracking than Pulse or Bolts. Bolts are pretty decent at multirole, Pulse are better for scout size or missiles. Flak is is life for M

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Split engines generally seem to have higher cruise speed which can be desirable for capitals, because it allows you to waive off if you overcommit.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Any way to tell miners attached to a station to mine only specific ores? All my dudes have a hardon for ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zereth posted:

In the past I've used the method of 'back up to edge of asteroid, hit travel drive, then alt-tab out. When it's alt-tabbed it drops a lot of frames and the collision detection tied to those frames.