Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes, it's a Tumblr link, but click it anyway.

https://irocra.tumblr.com/post/646445215035621376

Of all the characters to pick...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm happy for her.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, those last two tags are definitely things I said upon seeing that

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That poor OP doesn't know that they weirdly implied that Hussie, Terezi, and/or John is Jesus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cavatica posted:

That poor OP doesn't know that they weirdly implied that Hussie, Terezi, and/or John is Jesus.

Thing is, if any of the trolls did convert to Christianity, they'd immediately assume that Karkat was the resurrected Christ.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Psycholonials is still very good. I'm actually going to have a tough time accepting any sort of conclusion for this, because the more you escalate the more difficult it is to wrap things up in a satisfactory way.

Also, the soundtrack went from "good" to "wow" in a couple of scenes.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Loved to hear Means of Conquest and have it click one of the default mellow BGMs was a variant of that track all along. Clark Powell pulling it in long term with this one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Caught up on Psycholonials again, poo poo keeps escalating.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
It's the day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFyOjfcLWQ

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It is I, returned every year to demand to know why I *still* can't get a light-player mug in the Homestuck store.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

two hours twelve minutes seems short

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

A friend of mine just screencapped the title of that video.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm excited but also kind of dread the conclusion of Psycholonials. Endings aren't Hussie's greatest skill.

But I liked the journey.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hussie is a great ideas man

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i caught up to psycholonials. madness

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The hiveswap kickstarter got an update. I'm too lazy to read it all, but it seems to be a big rant about people claiming the money was stolen by either development company or Hussie.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

The hiveswap kickstarter got an update. I'm too lazy to read it all, but it seems to be a big rant about people claiming the money was stolen by either development company or Hussie.

Yeah, I got that too, didn't read it but it seemed kind of weird.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, I felt like I wasn't being fair to the what pumpkin team, so I sat down and actually read it. It's basically a long document explaining all the various hassles that happened during development, including:

- Yeah, their game dev refusing to pay back the money after they canceled the project.
- The NYC studio (the 3d version) being made, and then subsequently shuttered because of said money troubles.
- Some insinuations that an unnamed employee at the NYC studio was violent (?) and was part of the reason the studio was dissolved instead of just paused?
- An interesting detail is that the 2d drawings used in the finished Hiveswap game were made from the concept art used to develop the 3D assets in the earlier version of the game? Huh.
- A footnote about a bunch of the incorrect rumors about Hiveswap development coming from someone who got laid off before the NYC studio was formed
- Some comments about how a bunch of this wasn't publically stated until now because it would've made the project crash and burn, and probably also hurt the careers of a bunch of people, so in the name of keeping the project possible, this was all kept as much on the down-low as possible.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Likely in response to that novella length "investigative report" with stellar citations like "I assume this is true" some twitter person wrote a few months back.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 14, 2021

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Bobulus posted:

It's basically one big response to that effort post made on Tumblr about all the issues Hiveswap had. To summarize: the game company they contracted with took their money and made a bad prototype, they made a new studio thinking they'd get their money back, someone at the studio went ham around the same time of the freeze and that contributed to them shuttering for good, and they didn't credit the 3D artists because the assets they made weren't used. Also the hot tip employee leaking deets is a liar.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I read the whole thing out of morbid curiosity and I still have no idea what it's about or who it's for.

Despite claiming repeatedly to the contrary, it definitely seems to throw The Odd Gentlemen under the bus with some mild mitigation.

I guess someone recently posted, and then updated, an attempt to document the development mishaps that plagued Hiveswap, which might have been the catalyst for the Kickstarter post.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There was that (not very well sourced) blog a few months ago claiming that, rather than The Odd Gentlemen stopping development on Hiveswap while keeping the money they'd been paid for the project, Hussie had asked them to do work on Act 7 for which they hadn't been paid, and had made up the "they took the money but didn't develop the game" claim to cover himself. This e-mail would seem to refute that story and elaborates on the details from the original IPGD leak from years ago.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

guess the NDA expired

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

We're not quite at the end, but I think we're far enough along that I can make this hot take and stand by it:

Psycolonials should have just been released all at once, spreading it out over several weeks did not improve the story.

More hot takes to come when the ending comes in out in a week and the work can be viewed as a whole.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I haven't even started it yet. Patient gaming wins again!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

Likely in response to that novella length "investigative report" with stellar citations like "I assume this is true" some twitter person wrote a few months back.

I think it's a response to the Sarah Z video.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bobulus posted:

- Some comments about how a bunch of this wasn't publically stated until now because it would've made the project crash and burn, and probably also hurt the careers of a bunch of people, so in the name of keeping the project possible, this was all kept as much on the down-low as possible.
This is a wild thing to say when the original game is only half-finished.

The video is a good recap of how post-2016 Homestuck has been weird flailing about to keep the property relevant. I half-expect Pyscholonials to end on an abrupt tie-in to Homestuck or Hiveswap.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it's a response to the Sarah Z video.

You're out of your mind if you think I'm watching that poo poo. :p

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Plom Bar posted:

You're out of your mind if you think I'm watching that poo poo. :p

I watch a lot of things while working from home.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Something Awful gets name dropped in that video so let me just say gently caress you very much for me watching it

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s loving weird regardless to make a video out of the blue on this. Responding to a YouTuber is weird, updating on the comic’s anniversary about development drama is weird, doing it when Act 2 is well past its launch and we have no Act 3 info is weird, posting it on your dead Patreon is weird, and making it months after the initial Tumblr post is weird. It feels like someone who still had access to the Patreon went rogue as opposed to a planned, official statement.

Like, this screams a company that really needs a PR person or something. Even if we assume What Pumpkin or Hussie is completely absolved of any wrongdoing with the Odd Gentlement, this is a game that is set to finish around 2024, and you can only blame so much of that on a developer screwing you over.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Plom Bar posted:

guess the NDA expired

There are a few more details but they're still dancing around and toeing the line, so either they're still worried about legal blowback or the truth is not as favorable as they would like. I dunno about all the allegations that have been raised but it does seem likely to me that at a minimum Hussie probably legitimately pissed away a lot of paid dev time by putting The Odd Gentlemen on the clock and then not delivering a design doc for them to work from. They can say "we gave them $800k and they burned through 600k without anything to show for it" because it's technically true, but if the main reason is because they never gave them any real work then they can't actually claim any malfeasance.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Apparently Hussie made that Troubled Cosmos twitter account private and is letting the people who followed it ask questions.

So that's a thing.

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s loving weird regardless to make a video out of the blue on this.

I mean, I don't watch Sarah Z's stuff, but the reason she does it is because it makes her money. She has turned talking about weird internet stuff into a career. She has over 300,000 subscribers and her video on Brony culture was nominated for a Hugo award.

Much like monster girl ASMRs it's something that's not for me, but clearly there's an audience for it.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

her video on Brony culture was nominated for a Hugo award

that's jenny nicholson

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sliami posted:

that's jenny nicholson

My bad. Like I said internet deep dive videos' aren't really my thing so I only really know about them vaguely through second hand information, but there's a fuckton of them and most have really high view counts so clearly many people who aren't me enjoy them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not so sure if this is in response to the video, just because after everything else about the game development it seems weird to me that they'd scramble to put together a response within a day to this video that partially covers the Gio blog post but in a more balanced way and compares it to IPGD's more sympathetic account without making any real statement on the matter, rather than in response to the blog posts themselves which seem like they blew up more at the time and more directly accuses WP and Hussie of being cheats and liars.

Sarah Z's videos are pretty decent if you like internet (specifically Tumblr) history, incidentally. She's made her brand doing videos on things like "what exactly was Dashcon and why did it fall apart so hilariously" and "what the hell was up with the Onceler anyway".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

There are a few more details but they're still dancing around and toeing the line, so either they're still worried about legal blowback or the truth is not as favorable as they would like. I dunno about all the allegations that have been raised but it does seem likely to me that at a minimum Hussie probably legitimately pissed away a lot of paid dev time by putting The Odd Gentlemen on the clock and then not delivering a design doc for them to work from. They can say "we gave them $800k and they burned through 600k without anything to show for it" because it's technically true, but if the main reason is because they never gave them any real work then they can't actually claim any malfeasance.
Why would they not still be worried about legal blowback? An legal judgment is still a legal judgment, and you can get righteously sued for breaking it whenever you do so; depending on the agreement, breaking it can result in your instantly being obligated to pay back the money. That seems like the minimalist interpretation to me.

quote:

at a minimum Hussie probably legitimately pissed away a lot of paid dev time by putting The Odd Gentlemen on the clock
How does that align with the emails Hussie quotes showing that the Odd Gentlemen refused to meet with him? Or with the video he links to that shows how unsalvageable the early product was?

I think that Hussie's providing cites puts his explanation way ahead of that anonymous Tumblr (was it?) post.

Re the YouTube video, it turns out her sources were Gio and Makin, and that she never contacted (not talked to, contacted) anybody on the Hiveswap or HS^2 teams.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

LMFAO Makin?? Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I had to get permission to copy-paste this from a friend.

quote:

So makin is the rear end in a top hat who runs... ran? idk if it's past tense- the big homestuck unofficial server and it is a cess pit of thinly veiled "insert your favorite 'ism here"
very much akin to early reddit or 4chan, the "be offensive to push out the whiners and wilting flowers who can't handle a joke" style of socializing
Gio is a dickbag who created a bunch of anon account to stalk and harass the HS2 team and any "too vocal" and openly trans or PoC fans

So suddenly it makes a lot of sense why Aysha is furious: she was a direct victim of one of the sources.