Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Yeah if my alternatives are WPF or god forbid native win32, you can pry electron from my cold dead hands.

Edit- poo poo pissing me off for new page: why is my app like 300mb

MisterZimbu fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'll check my work pc's setup tomorrow but yeah it's supposed to be a "machine-wide" install, but I also get the message hinting that it just did an install/major update every time it starts. Maybe I should uninstall/clean it out from AppData and let it reinstall.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone high up at MS needs to go and crack skulls until their applications can be distributed via the Store, and if the whole app store framework isn't suitable for an application like Office then fix that.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Someone high up at MS needs to go and crack skulls until their applications can be distributed via the Store, and if the whole app store framework isn't suitable for an application like Office then fix that.

you could install office through the store for like, eighteen months several years ago. i don't think they ever explained why they killed it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
am i weird for just using outlook and teams from a sandboxed chrome with notifications enabled and i can't really tell the difference? i don't use any of the office (word, excel, etc) suite at all in course of work.

note: not on windows

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Weedle posted:

you could install office through the store for like, eighteen months several years ago. i don't think they ever explained why they killed it

Business customers who have disabled the Store via GPO.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Remember Microsoft's decision to only have the GPO disabling the store work on Windows 10 Enterprise and not Pro

E: Pissing me off

- Try to make support ticket in Azure portal
- It won't let me make a ticket and says I have to call the M365 support number
- Call the MS365 support number
- Every two minutes an automated voice reminds me that I can get support faster by making a ticket in the online portal
- Two hours later is quitting time and nobody ever picked up

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2021

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

klosterdev posted:

Remember Microsoft's decision to only have the GPO disabling the store work on Windows 10 Enterprise and not Pro

And thus people just use firewall rules to block the Store. Specifically they block the akamai CDN here.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

dragonshardz posted:

And thus people just use firewall rules to block the Store. Specifically they block the akamai CDN here.

that sounds like you could end up blocking a lot of stuff you don't want to block.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not pissing me off:

I patched 1205 lab systems (Win7 & 10) this weekend. Today we got one ticket, and that machine just needed to be rebooted again. I'm rounding that down to "nothing broke".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have a FortiGate firewall and the FortiAnalyzer virtual machine that does the logging and reporting. Most of the time, it doesn't really work, you'll pick a couple filters on the log and it will look like it's running, but no results show, frustrating as gently caress when you're trying to diagnose something.

My boss: "Yea sometimes we have to restart that VM to get it to work, I asked support about it and they didn't know how to fix it"

:geno:

Probably because of it being restarted, the database files on it were corrupt one day, so I opened a FortiCase with FortiSupport, and after they fixed that FortiIssue (whacked all the logs and started it back up), I mentioned the problems we were having with the logging/search. The person on the phone said that we were logging over our limit each day (1 gig of logs), and once we hit the limit that's what happens. Made perfect sense to me, reported that back to bossman. He said, "I know but our salesperson said that shouldn't affect anything..."

Anyway, I have been bitching about the logs being 75% useless because of this issue. We had a sales call of sorts with our reps, and my boss mentioned the log thing again, so we scheduled another call to look at that. First thing the guy says is "You guys are over your limits...you need to license another xxx"

So then he starts with his next issue, the web usage report isn't any good because it doesn't contain enough detail. They look at the filter options, and some of them are on 'allow' and not 'monitor', so they don't log any traffic, and you can't show what you don't log. So we're going to end up having to upgrade our logging from 1gb to probably 3-4gb/day to make up for what we're short of now, and account for all the stuff we aren't counting, but want to.

So I gave him a big fat "I told you so", and I increased my disdain for the trend in firewalls to nickel and dime you for every little feature.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everything nickel and dimes you for every little feature. If you find a service that doesn’t it’s because they haven’t got round to it yet.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Just be happy they haven't introduced lootboxes yet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dragonshardz posted:

block the akamai CDN here

jfc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We keep a copy of our keepass database in a fire safe, on a USB drive, along with some hard drives and tapes.

The keepass file is of course encrypted. We're going to put it in another file, and encrypt that.

Because "if someone found a USB drive with a keepass file on it, they would try to crack the password or upload it to the dark web"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

We keep a copy of our keepass database in a fire safe, on a USB drive, along with some hard drives and tapes.

The keepass file is of course encrypted. We're going to put it in another file, and encrypt that.

Because "if someone found a USB drive with a keepass file on it, they would try to crack the password or upload it to the dark web"

The keypass file is going to be out of date in a week, day, hour, or a minute. Its basically pointless unless the systems the credentials are for are also airgapped.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

The keypass file is going to be out of date in a week, day, hour, or a minute. Its basically pointless unless the systems the credentials are for are also airgapped.

:ssh: ITS THE SAME PASSWORD BOTH TIMES

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Everything nickel and dimes you for every little feature. If you find a service that doesn’t it’s because they haven’t got round to it yet.

My company made a conscious decision to have the cloud/subscription version of our software include literally everything out of the box with the only cost lever being how much compute and storage you want. We're pretty weird though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My company made the conscious decision where if it costs money, you don't get to use it. Though security requirements have chipped away at that mindset somewhat in recent years.

But we don't get nickel and dimed too much.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
not *exactly* pissing me off, but a hospital downtown had extra doses of the Pfizer vaccine and I got an appointment! Then they ran out just before I got there :(

back to waiting another god knows how many months...

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

Thanks Ants posted:

Just saw this on a couple of my newsfeeds this week:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/03/cricut-fully-abandons-plans-to-make-device-owners-pay-subscription-fee/

My favorite part is the CEO finally throwing up his hands and saying, "Well, fine! We wanted to make some money, but whatever!"

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CollegeCop posted:

Just saw this on a couple of my newsfeeds this week:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/03/cricut-fully-abandons-plans-to-make-device-owners-pay-subscription-fee/

My favorite part is the CEO finally throwing up his hands and saying, "Well, fine! We wanted to make some money, but whatever!"

I was wondering why there were a bunch online for sale lol

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
About a month ago there were a ton of fake shill posts in Reddit about how awesome they were. Clearly it was a /r/hailcorporate situation.

I can't imagine that after the IPO they won't just revert this model back. There's no way shareholders are going to let the subscription service revenue go. Likely they'll IPO and then sell in a year or two to HP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lmao the machine is $400 and they think that there should be a subscription on top of that. This isn't even the cheap printer business model.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Please help my business is dying we didn't account for the kilobytes of vectors that users upload to make their doll clothes and it's using up all of our AWS budget.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

why didn't they just do this from the beginning. it seems reasonable enough and people probably would have been less mad. i personally would not pay any recurring subscription fee to cut shapes out of paper but at least this way people aren't being misled or having the rug pulled out from under them

quote:

earlier this week, Cricut CEO Ashish Arora partially walked back the policy change, saying any Cricut machine purchased before the end of this year—December 31, 2021—would keep unlimited access and be exempt from the subscription fee going forward.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weedle posted:

why didn't they just do this from the beginning. it seems reasonable enough and people probably would have been less mad. i personally would not pay any recurring subscription fee to cut shapes out of paper but at least this way people aren't being misled or having the rug pulled out from under them

Because it's the exact same thing dressed up. Eventually you're buying a new machine, whether to upgrade or replace your existing one, and you get caught in the subscription.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because it's the exact same thing dressed up. Eventually you're buying a new machine, whether to upgrade or replace your existing one, and you get caught in the subscription.

why wouldn't you just buy a non-cricut cutter

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We have some of those in our activities room and they’re useless without internet :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

xzzy posted:

Please help my business is dying we didn't account for the kilobytes of vectors that users upload to make their doll clothes and it's using up all of our AWS budget.

Why does this require any cloud storage at all? Can't you print a design just like printing a page out of a printer?

I hate the future

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I hate the future

No, you hate late stage capitalism.

It's no longer enough to have a company, provide a product and/or service, pay your employees a living wage, and make a modest but flat profit that your re-invest back in the business.

You must have (hopefully double digit) revenue growth year over year or your company is a failure. Maybe if you are private you can get away with being normal awhile, but eventually the venture capitalists come sniffing, the growth siren starts singing, and you sell an ownership stake in the company. From there on it's downhill and everyone expects your GROWTH to make them continual fists of money rather than the ownership be a stable investment for the future. The product ceases to be the actual product, the product is the value of ownership of the company and everything is done to pump it up as quickly as possible and cash out before it crashes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Why does this require any cloud storage at all? Can't you print a design just like printing a page out of a printer?

I hate the future

you cannot. you have to load your designs into the cloud-based cricut design space software before you can print them

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Messing with the crafting community is a bad idea, they do not forgive and they do not forget

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Weedle posted:

I've got a good friend who has a weirdo rear end planner sticker business and unfortunately she's tried other cutters than Cricut because she's a terminal cheap rear end and will literally try every knock off brand possible before she gives in to buy the real thing and she said Cricut really is just the best and it is worth the money. Something between the software and how precise the little cutters are is a really big deal.

lmao tho at cricut getting too greedy and pissing in all their cheerios. There was a mass exodus from Etsy over some pricing poo poo recently too. Don't gently caress with the crafters.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Weedle posted:

Because some people are invested heavily into it by this point. My first Cricut was bought in 2008 or so. It used (expensive as gently caress) cartridges. It wasn't cloud connected. There was no cloud. Hell, a 3rd party company made a program so that you could use this thing on your desktop to make designs and send the cuts to the cutter (they are still around but surprise Cricut sued them so that software doesn't work as it did with the new machines). Then with later models Cricut made their own software and everyone was happy. You could use your cart and/or the software! Wonderful. Then they said "oh well, to use the carts you purchased umpteen years ago, you have to register it with the software and you will have access to all those designs ONLINE! Isn't that fun? (oh by the way once you do that, you can never sell the carts because they can't be un-registered)" And finally with the new Maker, there's no cart slot at all. EVERYTHING is on their cloud software.

People who have been there from the beginning have a workflow and expectations and are LOATHE to buy yet another machine and have to relearn new software/workflows. (I, however, am petty as gently caress and will absolutely buy a new machine and get into a different ecosystem out of spite. Buy my poo poo so I can afford a Cameo) These aren't always young, hip people. These are literal grandmas. Cricut is loving stupid for not realizing that cloud costs money! I would be happy as gently caress to not store any of my designs there. Just let me save to my laptop or a drat usb stick.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I've got a good friend who has a weirdo rear end planner sticker business and unfortunately she's tried other cutters than Cricut because she's a terminal cheap rear end and will literally try every knock off brand possible before she gives in to buy the real thing and she said Cricut really is just the best and it is worth the money. Something between the software and how precise the little cutters are is a really big deal.

lmao tho at cricut getting too greedy and pissing in all their cheerios. There was a mass exodus from Etsy over some pricing poo poo recently too. Don't gently caress with the crafters.

I honestly would have thought she'd like the Cameo. Their software actually had the little offset setting for creating stickers with the borders and whatnot. Huh. That's interesting.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

topenga posted:

I honestly would have thought she'd like the Cameo. Their software actually had the little offset setting for creating stickers with the borders and whatnot. Huh. That's interesting.

I think she has a Cameo too but I think she uses them for different things? Its been a while since I saw her whole setup tho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Roland make vinyl cutters but they're a level up in terms of price https://www.rolanddga.com/products/vinyl-cutters/stika-desktop-cutter

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

incoherent posted:

Evidence #2 not to give dell direct your money:

Literally got this email a year to the month after the implementation was over.

A few pages back, but even though we haven't bought anything Dell Direct in over 10 years I get near weekly calls or calendar invites from our "Dell Rep" trying to get me to tell her what Dell can sell us, or to tell me about their latest "great deal." The one or two times I have not recognized the call and answered it instead of letting it go to voicemail I have told her point blank that we are not interested in purchasing Dell Direct, and that we have a VAR that we are quite happy with.

Do not do business with Dell Direct. Ever. It will never end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dell: Our business model is putting our partners out of business.