Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

flavor.flv posted:

You have to do better than that to match Loss for clueless idiot energy. No, I think the internet is going to move past it, and heal

I think the venue here is important. he said this to a bunch of streamers on air. it wasn't just him musing into the void. he had to shut everything down so he could say it. he had to look people in the loving eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

inferis posted:

i'd never heard of them but chilled chaos 300k twitch followers and more than twice as many twitter followers than travis so ???. it was an established group of friends or something?

Oh God, that makes it worse. ChilledChaos's whole shtick with party games/deception games is that he will backstab literally anyone to win and lie to your face the whole time, and you will believe him. Literally the exact opposite attitude

E: I looked at the list of names and recognize Chilled, Ze, and Cheesy. They all play semi-regularly together in streams and YouTube content, and are very much play-to-win people. Travis was not with the right crowd lmao

E2: oh my God the whole speech happened because chilled and cheesy both knew who the imposter was but joked about voting off travis just to throw the game. :psyduck: I'm going to stop digging into this rabbit hole

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
the mbmbam tv show was absolutely perfect in all ways and it's frankly the only thing i could care about them doing more of as a group.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Taste of Luxury was fun, but I'm glad it wasn't picked up for a full show. It fits as a short web series.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The show was better than it had any right to be, and I think it gave the boys ideas above their station as lowly podcasters

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think the TV show was the last thing I really enjoyed from them. I never got into TAZ, and my interest in MBMBAM just waned as it got less and less funny until I gave up entirely in like 2018. I check in on Monster Factory now and then, but I feel like they could all benefit from taking an extended break from the content mines to reset.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I still think mbmbam is pretty solid week to week, monster factory has been hit or miss lately though which is frustrating because it used to be my favorite thing of theirs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Colonel Whitey posted:

I still think mbmbam is pretty solid week to week, monster factory has been hit or miss lately though which is frustrating because it used to be my favorite thing of theirs.

The Demon Souls one was pretty meh but I thought the Crusader Kings 3 episode was a lot better

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

Lester Shy posted:

I think the TV show was the last thing I really enjoyed from them. I never got into TAZ, and my interest in MBMBAM just waned as it got less and less funny until I gave up entirely in like 2018. I check in on Monster Factory now and then, but I feel like they could all benefit from taking an extended break from the content mines to reset.

I feel similarly. I just recently resubscribed to MBMBaM after about a year off, although I'm still only listening to episodes sporadically, and I only really average a few chuckles an episode usually. I firmly believe that 2012-2014 or thereabouts was the best era for the podcast though, and would love it if they could recapture that energy.

That said, I still catch Death Blart every American Thanksgiving, as god intended.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I think they're just overworking themselves, and you can only stretch yourself so thin. I wouldn't mind them switching to a every-other-week release schedule. They've got such a huge archive of episodes, if you're all caught up it's easy to revisit some old episodes you haven't heard in a while.

I know some creators hesitate to delay their releases because it could lead to a drop in subscribers, but I don't think that's true of MBMBAM. Their fanbase is dedicated as hell.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Graduation has been a wild ride. It started off with a teaser and a trailer and everyone was interested after some folks fell off during Amnesty and then it came out and... meh? The first episode had something like 20 NPCs introduced with a handful of spoken lines from the PCs. Everybody loved The Firbolg. Travis had a weird cartoon baby voice that he was speaking in at almost all times. Overall, there were some tweaks that could be done, but it showed promise.

Ten episodes later, people really started dropping off. Most of what was happening was single interactions with NPCs and PCs where the players were completely alone with the DM. The plot was nonsense and unfollowable for a lot of people. The players were not being allowed to really push events forward. Justin was saying like one sentence per episode. Travis was saying "no" to any prompt the players were giving him. It would probably have still been charming if it was not so boring and full of itself. Travis was showing up on panels and interviews like he was a top Actual Play DM when Graduation was probably worse than the average campaign being played at tables around the world.

Another ten episodes later, and it's genuinely become the worst Actual Play out there. It can't have more than one episode without completely changing gears. The plot is so convoluted that the players sometimes remark on microphone that they have no idea what's going on. Everybody at the table has so much fatigue from either being shut down or pulled along that there are still long stretches of silence where the players are trying to figure out what Travis wants them to do to get to his next prompt. And then he gets interviewed by Brennan Mulligan for some reason.

It's kind of interesting because I participate on a DnD DM message board, and TAZ comes up more than any other Actual Play as an example of identifying problems and how to not run a game. One of the posters on the board referred to it as "The Vickers Valiant of DnD Campaigns," which refers to a WW2 tank that was so terrible that it was canned like an hour into its trials and was kept on an army base as an example for engineers to examine its flaws. It's kind of a tortured simile, but I find it pretty apt.

Travis has now run my two favorite single episodes of TAZ (those two live shows), but I think he's waaaay more suited for quick, improv-based one-offs than whatever he's trying to accomplish with Graduation.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Listen here pal, we leave reasoning and explanation outside the thread. Hate his open mouth or blindly defend him.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I feel similarly. I just recently resubscribed to MBMBaM after about a year off, although I'm still only listening to episodes sporadically, and I only really average a few chuckles an episode usually. I firmly believe that 2012-2014 or thereabouts was the best era for the podcast though, and would love it if they could recapture that energy.

That said, I still catch Death Blart every American Thanksgiving, as god intended.

Did you catch the sporadic Trolls podcast? Absolutely pure McElroy good boy energy in that one.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Its bizarre that Travis is failing so much now on Graduation when it seemed like TAZ: Knights was well received. Why couldn't he duplicate that success?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a way to make a word cloud for a whole thread because I bet this one would be a giant "TRAVIS", a slightly smaller "ENERGY", and then everything else way smaller.

This would of course make Travis very happy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Its bizarre that Travis is failing so much now on Graduation when it seemed like TAZ: Knights was well received. Why couldn't he duplicate that success?

I don't play tabletop games so perhaps it's just my lack of experience speaking, but recapturing a successful campaign without retreading sounds incredibly difficult to me.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Pennsylvanian posted:

One of the posters on the board referred to it as "The Vickers Valiant of DnD Campaigns," which refers to a WW2 tank that was so terrible that it was canned like an hour into its trials and was kept on an army base as an example for engineers to examine its flaws. It's kind of a tortured simile, but I find it pretty apt.

I love this analogy.

imo because he's taking this one too seriously and has a very specific vision of how it should unfold. It's a kind of lumpy vision not many are enjoying, which doesn't help much either.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Srice posted:

I don't play tabletop games so perhaps it's just my lack of experience speaking, but recapturing a successful campaign without retreading sounds incredibly difficult to me.

Especially when the success of the previous campaign was in stumbling onto a heartfelt connection with the characters after many, many hours of goofing off.

Amnesty and Graduation both had the problem of trying to get the audience to love the characters right away for their engaging and unique backstories, rather than picking up some default template starter heroes and filling in the blanks with jokes.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm legit surprised things sound that bad with Graduation. I knew TAZ talk fell off the radar lately, but its really gotten that unpleasant?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Since it feels like I defend Graduation more than anything else, I would like to float out there that both Amnesty and Graduation have suffered from trying to recreate the drastic stakes that you got midway to the end of Balance.

I say that to mean that my favorite parts of Amnesty was them loving around town and solving the monster of the week, and things escalating to the point that they did was not as interesting to me. Graduation could have very easily been a story about dumb underdogs that have to butt heads with other students/teachers in order to become successful heros/villains/whatever the hell they wanted. Instead we are once again raising the stakes to the highest point possible.

The stories aren't the only ones guilty of the drama creep; just about everything does it nowadays. But my favorite moments in TAZ are typically when things are chill and not in danger mode; having yet another "the world is changing!!!!" plot is tiring to me.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I bailed on Graduation early on, but I can only imagine how it would've gone if they followed through on Travis' original idea to create a new RPG.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I loved the consistency with the money jar clinking every time someone said "this". It must have been a huge pain in the rear end to edit.

The Halo Munch Squad was wild. It's such a stretch for an IP tie-in. It's like if the MCU started selling branded shawarmas, but in chip form.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Graduation had absolutely no idea where it was going for 15 or so episodes, and then they kind of reset and are doing one Big Major Conflict before the end, but it's still pretty rambling. There was a pretty cool heist sequence that just wrapped up, but even that went like 5 episodes, which is literally months of real time. It's fine, but running a long campaign like this is clearly not Travis' strong suit, and I hope they move on to something else pretty quickly.

Amnesty was great. Justin's characters are always great.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

graduation's setting was at odds with itself from the jump with the school for heroes AND villains conceit. it's hard for me to believe that the others were willing to go with it at all

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TL posted:

I bailed on Graduation early on, but I can only imagine how it would've gone if they followed through on Travis' original idea to create a new RPG.

Not worse probably, he seems for real angry when they try to play by DND rules.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I liked them playing powered by the apocalypse besides the fact that they kept on triggering hard moves on inconsequential rolls.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

Travis is the kind of person to scream “do you know who I am” at a retail worker before explaining that he “is friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, you know, from HAMILTON???

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Amnesty would have been better with another years' worth of screwing around with the players all in the same room as one another. I think it was a fine campaign, but it lagged when the parties were separated and not hunting down mysteries.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Bip Roberts posted:

I liked them playing powered by the apocalypse besides the fact that they kept on triggering hard moves on inconsequential rolls.

yeah PBTA was one of the things i really liked about amnesty. it seemed to me like that framework allowed for interesting things to happen without a whole bunch of background accounting that they don't seem to particularly care to do.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Travis is the kind of person the theatre kids would call a weirdo behind his back and have a separate discord from him

Travis is the kind of person to scream “do you know who I am” at a retail worker before explaining that he “is friends with Lin-Manuel Miranda, you know, from HAMILTON???

hmm i don't think so

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
don't do bdg like this

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

I also liked TAZ: Dust. Travis is good for short stuff because it's easier to push a party through a story when it's about 4 episodes long. For a big campaign like Graduation, that ends up getting really railroaded and easier to burn out. Travis's problem with Graduation is that he's trying to focus on the world and characters he made instead of putting down a few pieces and seeing how the party plays with them. And I wouldn't be surprised if Travis has been following feedback and taking a lot of sharp turns and overcorrects instead of carefully pacing it in a new direction.

It could be that he's trying to ride on the coattails of his baby brother's Balance arc but nothing can be the new Balance. In my opinion, having students go through a school for 5 years is asking for trouble because that's when monotony and railroading kicks in. It'd be better if the party was school facility and got a lot more agency. But even then Travis put in so many characters and things so soon that it can lead to confusion and choice paralysis.

Also D&D didn't seem a fitting game for Graduation. They probably did that because people are more familiar with D&D than PBtA. Something like Fate could have been better, maybe?

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 23, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

I’m no great Travis apologist, but that’s says a lot more about the shittiness of the theatre kids than it does Travis.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For those of you who miss Car Boys, Let's Game It Out does something similar, in terms of messing with games until they break. The newest Planet Coaster one is a lot of fun.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I also liked TAZ: Dust. Travis is good for short stuff because it's easier to push a party through a story when it's about 4 episodes long.
Dust felt like it had more mileage to it than Graduation, and I wish they'd made it into a longer campaign the way they did with Amnesty instead of making a new one whole cloth. Graduation could've been a fun short one for a few months, but Dust felt bigger and its overall concept was more defined from the start.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Isn't it this kind of weird posting that got the original thread shut down in the first place?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bcs just wants to prove blockhouse right and officially make these threads worse than the giant bomb thread by also posting in them

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah that poster is weirdly obsessed with Travis, they came into that thread just to poo poo on him and McElroy fans broadly. Everybody in here agrees that what Travis did was dumb and bad, but they just keep harping on it to an audience of no one.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I'm not going to listen to the rest of Graduation until it finishes. It's possible that Travis may turn it around but he really needs to take a long vacation from the internet that isn't working on the shows.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

somehow you're a shittier theater kid in all this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

imagine being such a bad forums poster that jeff gerstmann calls you out on a random stream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFNgT81iA-c