Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Robot Style posted:

Any moments in particular come to mind? The only times I can remember him actually smiling are his smirk when he no-sells the axe, and when he dodges Steppenwolf's slow-mo grab. The rest from my recollection are angry-eyes or CG Neutral-face.

The no-selling of the axe is straight from the comics too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Equeen posted:

Faora existed in the comics since the 70s :goonsay:

Well consider me actually'd.

I can say for a fact that she was reintroduced as a response to MoS then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Detective No. 27 posted:

As for Granny Goodness, who knows how she would have wound up in the future movies. People tend to really dig Snyder's versions of characters in unexpected ways. He rehabbed Aquaman's pop culture image. Faora ended up a fan favorite who got written into the comics. Also Steppenwolf went from being a graphics card box joke before the movie released to people being endeared by his puppy dog eyes and futile attempts at pleasing the boss.

Steppenwolf also got them thighs and booty according to Leslie Jones. She's not wrong.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

teagone posted:

Steppenwolf also got them thighs and booty according to Leslie Jones. She's not wrong.

She's totally getting cast in a future Snyder movie.

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/1374118375664746497?s=19

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was hoping Leslie Jones would be a Lantern, lmao.

[edit] For context, Leslie Jones live tweeted her Snyder Cut experience and it was glorious. Could not stop laughing. Here's an example:

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg/status/1373944412271570946

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Away all Goats posted:

He's also the general from MoS and BvS. Which means he watched two world-ending threats appear and was cool with it apparently

He's general Swanwick

Also even if he did nothing then he's on the same moral ground as WW, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg and whoever else already had superpowers

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Augus posted:

didn't avengers 2 literally end with the avengers being immortalized as marble statues like the greek gods

No? I think it ended with Thor leaving to investigate infinity stones and Cap training up some brand new Avengers at the new HQ.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Granny Goodness recast

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

gregday posted:

I did not like this movie but if this is what it had to be better than then lol

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1374421690734706690

The Whedon composition just looks like TV to me. You could tell someone it's a still from the Office and not be surprised.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Stompa!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stompa

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gregday posted:

I did not like this movie but if this is what it had to be better than then lol

https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1374421690734706690

Joss Whedon's Justice League is a horrendous movie

smoobles posted:

No? I think it ended with Thor leaving to investigate infinity stones and Cap training up some brand new Avengers at the new HQ.

these are the credits of Avengers Age of Ultron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfyvf14egU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Augus posted:

Joss Whedon's Justice League is a horrendous movie

Currently the 6th best selling movie on the itunes charts lol.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Spacebump posted:

Currently the 6th best selling movie on the itunes charts lol.

Everyone who hates Snyder is hate buying it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Augus posted:

Joss Whedon's Justice League
They need to retitle it to that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arkage posted:

Everyone who hates Snyder is hate buying it.

Plus anyone who heard that Zack Snyder's "Justice League" was good and doesn't know

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

Plus anyone who heard that Zack Snyder's "Justice League" was good and doesn't know

The Asylum Presents Joss Whedon's Justice League.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Bring back Faora tbh

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

2house2fly posted:

When he was just holding Steppenwolf down and pounding him I did get a bit 😬 like dude, he's down, you can lay off a bit now

This had to be intentional, and even if it wasn't it still works as a thematic throughline in the movie. When he's resurrected and amnesiac his default interaction pattern is Savage Hulk Mode, when we get a fully-returned Supes he's pounding the hell out of an enemy on the ropes with a grimace and eyebeaming pieces off of his face, and then at the end we find out that the whole Knightmare deal is still in the cards.

Sometimes, dead is bettah.

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/1374379871317544965?s=20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

“Internet Culture Reporter”

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

They're getting ratio'd but also:

https://twitter.com/gigafelon/status/1374397353130565633

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Random questions and thoughts after sitting on the second half for a bit:

-- The Mother Boxes are alive, but passive? Like they can call out to preferred masters or tempt Cyborg like they do in the end, but they can't actually refuse to do anything?

-- Why didn't the Mother Boxes call out to Steppenwolf before Superman was a thing?

-- I feel like between the Nazis having the box and idea of it sitting in a warehouse for years, there is this clear idea that the Motherbox may have at least at one point been the Ark of the Covenant and I thinK Snyder should have gone more stupid with that. Snyder is at least using film language to draw connections between the boxes to Ark is really good film shorthand.

-- I think the question of the aspect ratio really needs to be reconsidered because I'm not sure it works consistently. I feel like you had people initially poo-pooing it on principle which is silly, but then you just had people parroting the same reasons for why it works. There are undoubtedly some places where it works, but I think especially during the last battle there are parts where Batman's face is like off screen.

I also think a lot of the end fight is horrible though.

-- The Knightmare portion of the Epilogue is very bad. My wife yelling, "WHAT." when the actual movie ended and there was still like twenty minutes left was great though.

-- As ridiculous as this four hour cut is in many ways, I think you can easily see a three hour cut working.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 23, 2021

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like some of the CG was inevitably spotty but in general I thought it looked really good, loved how it was shot.

I don't mean that it looks cheap (some of the CG and ADR definitely is, but it's not that noticeable and given the circumstances it's pretty forgivable). I mean that the way the film looks, from the lighting and color, to the way scenes are shot and paced is exceedingly unpleasant. I don't know how someone managed to make a film that manages to look so lifeless and drab, yet simultaneously bright and garish. The whole thing is like watching an extended music video set inside the fever dream of a dying psychopath and I hate it. I'm sure it's better than the theatrical cut, but clearing the bar of better than a frankenstein's monster assembled at the behest of studio execs by the most insufferable man in hollywood is the lowest possible bar to clear.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Going to continue to ignore the bad article and its writer but lol:

https://twitter.com/seoul_machine/status/1374443121019285509
(I am probably the one who can't sense sarcasm anymore)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There should be no complaint on 4 hour run time when people are eating up full season runs on Netflix and binge watching is a thing.

Neener neener so there

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Caridean posted:

The whole thing is like watching an extended music video set inside the fever dream of a dying psychopath and I hate it.

This is just a word salad and means nothing other than "it looks bad".

Something in the aesthetic bothers you, that's clear. And that's fine. But your description of "lifeless and drab but also bright and garish" and your analogy above is just terrible criticism. It tells the reader nothing beyond "I thought it looked ugly".

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gatts posted:

There should be no complaint on 4 hour run time when people are eating up full season runs on Netflix and binge watching is a thing.

Neener neener so there
Yo.

I loving live for long rear end movies. The issue isn't that the movie is four hours. The issue is some of that time is dedicated to a bad fan film.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

-- Why didn't the Mother Boxes call out to Steppenwolf before Superman was a thing?

-- The Knightmare portion of the Epilogue is very bad. My wife yelling, "WHAT." when the actual movie ended and there was still like twenty minutes left was great though.

-- As ridiculous as this four hour cut is in many ways, I think you can easily see a three hour cut working.

For that first one, they were asleep for millennia until his death yell woke them up. So if they'd been awakened before that he might have, but the Motherboxes were in hibernation until Superman's death. They didn't know he was there, but something about his death cry triggered them to start phoning home.

The Knightmare stuff makes no sense to me in that is it a true vision, is it bruce's fear, is it an alternate timeline or one they have to prevent? I guess we prb will never know, but none of that feels like anything I want to watch. The entire epilogue was really unnecessary. Also it's p obvious they didn't bother with Affleck in the final scene being anywhere close to the size he was when they first shot this film. I have to assume the last scene is a new shot.

I think your last statement is very possible. I think if you cut down some of the slow static shots made for pretty scenery and tightened up some of the repetitive exposition you could easily get this down to the 3 hr mark without losing too much which would have been a viable cinematic release.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just realized Richard Roeper gave the rare review take that Zack Snyder's Justice League is worse than Whedon's, but still worth 3 out of 4 stars.

How can someone exist who gave Josstice League 3.5/4, and still likes this movie too. I mean ok at least he enjoys stuff but that is amazing.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

kinda funny how this is actually a question in the Whedon version iirc, since he cuts out the scream waking them up

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Something in the aesthetic bothers you, that's clear. And that's fine. But your description of "lifeless and drab but also bright and garish" and your analogy above is just terrible criticism. It tells the reader nothing beyond "I thought it looked ugly".

Baroque art purposefully used heavy shadows and small, but direct lighting, to pull specific emotion out of people. That was countered in later eras with flatter lighting that is saved for people to always feel comfortable in looking. Thats what you always have to consider when looking at film and why.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

For that first one, they were asleep for millennia until his death yell woke them up. So if they'd been awakened before that he might have, but the Motherboxes were in hibernation until Superman's death. They didn't know he was there, but something about his death cry triggered them to start phoning home.
I thought there was exposition from Batman and Wonder Woman where they infer that the cry didn't wake up the boxes so much as signal to them that Earth was vulnerable? I thought that was the whole reason why it was important to bring Supes back, because the Boxes being afraid of him is evidence that he's a threat to them and Steppenwolf.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Martman posted:

Just realized Richard Roeper gave the rare review take that Zack Snyder's Justice League is worse than Whedon's, but still worth 3 out of 4 stars.

How can someone exist who gave Josstice League 3.5/4, and still likes this movie too. I mean ok at least he enjoys stuff but that is amazing.

Might be a Batman '89/Danny Elfman superfan which is fine.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

I am a Danny Elfman superfan and his soundtrack is a big wet fart of recycled output which is really personally a big bummer to me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Caridean posted:

I don't know how someone managed to make a film that manages to look so lifeless and drab, yet simultaneously bright and garish.

ZSJL is not a film I'd describe as "garish" lmao. Art is subjective and all, but there has to be a point where you realize that maybe your perspective is a bit misguided. The film uses very muted tones, high contrast, and isn't that heavy on saturation/vibrancy. Whedon's cut is what I'd describe as garish because it's almost as if they basically just dialed up the saturation and called it day. Can you provide some scene examples of what you considered to be explicitly garish from the film?

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is just word salad that means nothing other than "i disagree with your criticism."

Since you don't get it, let me break it down for you:

music video: The constant use of slow motion and weird overly dramatic shots (like the hilariously lovely scene with aquaman standing out on a pier in the waves) is straight out of a 2000s music video. I don't see how "looks like a music video" is even a remotely controversial take on any of Snyder's work especially considering his background.

lifeless and drab but also bright and garish: The color grading is incredibly muted. this isn't even an opinion, just a description of the visual style of the film. A lot of action scenes are practically monochrome. They're also incredibly busy with tons of huge (also monochrome) explosions going off everywhere.

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

teagone posted:

ZSJL is not a film I'd describe as "garish" lmao. Art is subjective and all, but there has to be a point where you realize that maybe your perspective is a bit misguided. The film uses very muted tones, high contrast, and isn't that heavy on saturation/vibrancy. Whedon's cut is what I'd describe as garish because it's almost as if they basically just dialed up the saturation and called it day. Can you provide some scene examples of what you considered to be explicitly garish from the film?

Garish isn't a synonym for "oversaturated," it means generally overly showy, bright and, for lack of a better term, "loud." This describes pretty much every big action scene but the "age of heroes" darkseid invasion is a decent example. Pretty much everything is in a narrowly constrained shade of brown. It's also really busy and obnoxious with tons of huge explosions, over the top violence and gore.

Caridean fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 23, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

This would be even funnier because Elfman's Whedon League score was absolutely terrible. It was so weak and thready that most of the time I could barely tell there was a score, it was operating at the level of "music coming from another room that you can just barely tell IS music, but not what is actually playing". And the arrangements of the old hero themes he was hired to copy are as anemic as Whedon's comedy beats. Any true Elfman fan should find that score equally insulting and embarrassing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Caridean posted:

lifeless and drab but also bright and garish: The color grading is incredibly muted. this isn't even an opinion, just a description of the visual style of the film. A lot of action scenes are practically monochrome. They're also incredibly busy with tons of huge (also monochrome) explosions going off everywhere.

This is contradicting. Something cannot be garish but also muted/monochrome. If it can, please explain and provide examples because I can't compute this.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Yo can I get some pics of monochrome explosions that sounds trippy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

This would be even funnier because Elfman's Whedon League score was absolutely terrible. It was so weak and thready that most of the time I could barely tell there was a score, it was operating at the level of "music coming from another room that you can just barely tell IS music, but not what is actually playing". And the arrangements of the old hero themes he was hired to copy are as anemic as Whedon's comedy beats. Any true Elfman fan should find that score equally insulting and embarrassing.

The music for whenever the Russian family was on screen was the absolute worst for me, it really was unbelievably bad.