Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I really hope they don’t bring back that god loving awful proposal to make it illegal for people on the terrorism watch list to buy guns. Doubling down on one of the worst excesses of the GWOT and then getting sulky when people point out what a civil liberties nightmare it would be is not a good look for what passes for our “progressive” party.

i have a feeling that after having explained to them the nightmare it'd create for the security state they wont attempt it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

RIP Democratic control of the legislature, we hardly knew ye

I too believe Congressional Democrats, which barely squeaked an insanely popular relief bill into law after having to neuter it down to please moderates, totally will be able to pass any sort of contentious gun control law that may only be slightly more popular than unpopular.

:sigh:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i have a feeling that after having explained to them the nightmare it'd create for the security state they wont attempt it

Just put everyone in the US on the terrorism watch list. Easy!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1374389008646557705

I didn’t know how right I was wrote this last week:

Platystemon posted:

Send all the AZ vaccine overseas, and drop some private hints that AstraZeneca should withdraw their application for emergency use.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

The shooter was a young Muslim. We're going to hear a lot of horrible poo poo for quite a while.

Oh, an actual terrorist attack!!! You know who didn’t allow any actual terrorist attacks??? Strong daddy trump!!!!!!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

The shooter was a young Muslim. We're going to hear a lot of horrible poo poo for quite a while.

Yeah I just saw the news naming him a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. The right wing rage machine is gonna love this facet of intersection in the gun-terror-immigrant thing, especially in the context of the city assault weapons ban being pre-empted (whatever that means).

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1374389008646557705

I didn’t know how right I was wrote this last week:

I am glad that the pharma industry generally managed to restrain itself from this kind of fuckery with vaccine development for as long as it did.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

US Berder Patrol posted:

Yeah I just saw the news naming him a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. The right wing rage machine is gonna love this facet of intersection in the gun-terror-immigrant thing, especially in the context of the city assault weapons ban being pre-empted (whatever that means).

Boulder, CO passed an assault rifle sales ban in 2018. Said ban was overturned 10 days ago. The shooter bought his gun 6 days ago. He would have had to travel outside of Boulder to purchase it two weeks ago.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Boulder, CO passed an assault rifle sales ban in 2018. Said ban was overturned 10 days ago. The shooter bought his gun 6 days ago. He would have had to travel outside of Boulder to purchase it two weeks ago.

He would have had to drive a whole 10 minutes to get it outside of Boulder two weeks ago.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

He wasn't even a Boulder resident so it wouldn't have applied to him anyways. The Boulder ban only applied to Boulder residents.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

It's absolutely loving amazing that AZ said it was 79% effective when the data said 69-74%. Just an incredible amount of AZ fuckups on a vaccine that's actually plenty good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

fknlo posted:

He would have had to drive a whole 10 minutes to get it outside of Boulder two weeks ago.

The Rat posted:

He wasn't even a Boulder resident so it wouldn't have applied to him anyways. The Boulder ban only applied to Boulder residents.

Thank you for these addendums.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

fknlo posted:

20 minutes apparently. I don't think there is a gun shop in Niwot or Gunbarrel anymore. So he probably would have had to go to Grandpa's in Longmont or is that weirdo militia gunshop still open?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bengy81 posted:

or is that weirdo militia gunshop still open?

Man, I’m not from CO and find myself asking the same question about my old haunts. Except I have to specify which one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

It's absolutely loving amazing that AZ said it was 79% effective when the data said 69-74%. Just an incredible amount of AZ fuckups on a vaccine that's actually plenty good.

What an own goal. Is this going to give countries the leverage they need to cancel delivery contracts without penalty even though it’s coming from a US study report? As if failing to meet deliveries wasn’t already enough.

I wonder if the other companies are stepping up to meet more of the global need.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 23, 2021

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
At the Tampa va for vaccine. The line is real long and slow (ha) but dammit I’m getting my shot. Gonna ask about my wife and the baby’s nanny to get them the shot as well.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

What an own goal. Is this going to give countries the leverage they need to cancel delivery contracts without penalty even though it’s coming from a US study report? As if failing to meet deliveries wasn’t already enough.

I wonder if the other companies are stepping up to meet more of the global need.

Doubtful and nope!

The AZ vaccine (and J&J) are so good because they're so cheap and don't need any of the deep-freeze bullshit, while being plenty effective. drat near every other source of vaccine is tapped out for the EU and other countries. J&J isn't even going to hit their March promised numbers to the US and the Merck partnership isn't coming online for a few months.

Countries don't want to cancel the AZ orders, they want them badly! It's a communications fuckup on a good vaccine. The US just has the stockpile because we shoveled zillions of dollars to anyone for a vaccine candidate when we collectively realized how hosed we were in comparison to other countries (masks are face diapers that disguise you from god).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

(masks are face diapers that disguise you from god).

I’m glad McNally doesn’t probe for statements like this, unlike some people.

e: I misunderstood, thought this was hyperbole pointing out, correctly, that masks are not a panacea. I didn’t know that people were using language like that unironically, and now I look silly.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Platystemon posted:

I’m glad McNally doesn’t probe for statements like this, unlike some people.

For my sourcing of quotes:

Face Diapers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzV1Ty1Hu8I

Masks dishonoring god: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-lawmaker-refuses-wear-mask-because-he-says-it-dishonors-n1201106

Our brains are made of cheddar just like our big, wet president that never lost and had the election stolen by venezuelan communist voting machines.

edit: 'sall good, have a mask-burning party https://www.azfamily.com/news/conti...a240ed65ba.html

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 23, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s such bullshit, if God didn’t like masks then why would The Batman have one?

Checkmate CHUDs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PeterCat posted:

Made a mistake and listened to the Family Radio christian station while I was running errands today. Their hot take was the "mainstream media" is putting out stories that the Atlanta killings were racially motivated when the shooter's stated reason was he was a sex addict and the massage parlors were tempting him.

The radio show didn't really seem to have a point, other than being a group of Southern white men yakking about how racism isn't real, which I'm sure reinforces the biases of those that listen to the station. And somehow the Boulder shooter having a Middle Eastern sounding name means that racism isn't real as well.

Well, the Senate won't get anything past the filibuster, so nothing is going to change.

Misogony in the south is a loving huge and rampant problem and is pretty much ubiquitous among every age group I have any dealings with. Good god am I sick of this poo poo

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That’s such bullshit, if God didn’t like masks then why would The Batman have one?

Checkmate CHUDs.

Have you seen the Batman mask

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Have you seen the Batman mask

Yeah, it owns. :colbert:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
there is not a single meaningful gun control measure that will survive the current Supreme Court

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Full blown racial science in the GBS thread to anybody's surprise

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The Suez Canal has been blocked for hours by the container ship Ever Given:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9811000

https://twitter.com/jonmikefred/status/1374447408990449664

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1374438210315513864

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oof

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/jonmikefred/status/1374447408990449664

Does the Suez not use pilots?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1373018614731743232

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
How To Avoid Giant Canals, vol 1.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Waterways aren't really built for the big stuff now. I got stuck in Rotterdam when one lost steering and ran up onto the bank, blocking the canal. Luckily it was done at low tide and they managed to get some North Sea tugs in place and had a very high tide to pull it off with.

I don't remember any large tugs in Egypt so they might have to wait for some to come through.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

hobbesmaster posted:

Does the Suez not use pilots?

They do. That most likely happened due to critical failure over someone just putting it into the bank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There's definitely a mechanical issue. That thing has been stuck for hours with lots of tug assistance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's definitely a mechanical issue. That thing has been stuck for hours with lots of tug assistance.

Robert Kraft is on the boat?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Seems like a good opportunity for pirates.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
https://twitter.com/rmcfadzean/status/1374457942099980295?s=20

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Proud Christian Mom posted:

there is not a single meaningful gun control measure that will survive the current Supreme Court

Huh you know I never even thought about that.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I feel like this is the opening of Harpoon or C:MANO scenario

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 23, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Thats probably the worst place on the planet to try it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is evergreen the name of the shipping company or what becasue that is definitely not given

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Seeing as there's probably hundreds if not thousands of people there actively working on it, im not so sure.

That being said, an Exocet *right now* would cripple the Suez for an extended period.