Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Blood Boils posted:

Yo can I get some pics of monochrome explosions that sounds trippy

The Justice is Gray Edition is coming out soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Timeless Appeal posted:

I thought there was exposition from Batman and Wonder Woman where they infer that the cry didn't wake up the boxes so much as signal to them that Earth was vulnerable? I thought that was the whole reason why it was important to bring Supes back, because the Boxes being afraid of him is evidence that he's a threat to them and Steppenwolf.

gently caress if i know man that explanation made not much sense to me, but I guess if we're gonna thought experiment it out...

The motherboxes are sentient machines, so it is possible that they recognize certain "wavelengths" of poo poo and that can trigger them to wake up and start doing their thing, which could include somehow scanning the planet to decide if there are threats that would prevent them from doing their thing? So maybe it's less a literal knowledge of his being active on earth or not, but once they caught wind that a being that could threaten them had died it got them rolling and then they figured "nothing else to worry about here come on down".

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 23, 2021

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures.

Oh yeah?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There are all kinds of music videos. In fact, music videos are just movies, and some of them are very good.

Can you give an example of a music video that ZSJL looks like?

Martman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 23, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Martman posted:

Going to continue to ignore the bad article and its writer but lol:

https://twitter.com/seoul_machine/status/1374443121019285509
(I am probably the one who can't sense sarcasm anymore)

What the gently caress?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'll never understand the complaints about Superman coming out wrong when he was raised from the dead by a device created of evil incarnate.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

teagone posted:

This is contradicting. Something cannot be garish but also muted/monochrome. If it can, please explain and provide examples because I can't compute this.

explained above

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll never understand the complaints about Superman coming out wrong when he was raised from the dead by a device created of evil incarnate.

The ship begging them not to do it and then beaming a vision of the apocalypse into Cyborg's head to punctuate how bad an idea it is, is some primo black comedy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'll admit the Knightmare scenes don't make a ton of sense, as they stand. They probably would have if Snyder could have made his full 5 movies (3 JL movies), but as it is, they sit there as these weird WTF moments for most people. However, they are weird WTF moments in a way that is ABSOLUTELY MY JAM. I love crazy rear end poo poo like that, and we just don't get enough of that in movies.

I totally get why some people look at them and can't engage. But I am not one of those people. I am hooked, and love speculating what they could mean moving "forward", even if we'll never get more movies in this canon.

I love them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

lol the idea that Snyder doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but the central heroic figures is a meme (most recently repeated in yesterday's RLM video then coincidentally appearing everywhere else like wildfire).

Like, we've been discussing this in depth over the past few days. If you think the heroes should save people, there's literally individual scenes for every key hero saving people, either through beating up bad guys or saving them from natural disasters or accidents or improving their lives in other ways (like, there's variety to it y'know?). If you think regular people don't do enough, you have Lois Lane, Silas Stone and Alfred all assisting the heroes in various ways.

Also like, maybe I'm blanking but I'm pretty sure the only citizen who dies at all is Silas. Everyone else Steppenwolf kills is a super-human Atlantean or Amazonian warrior. This has even less death and destruction across the entire movie than the finale of MoS, and in fact the death and destruction has been on a steep downturn in this series since that movie's finale.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

in dragon ball z (the quintessential action adventure schlock of the modern era) freeza wipes out entire species and blows up planets and the viewer response is "oh wow that's one bad dude, he means business, someone should really stop this guy"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Does anyone even use that as an argument against other creators or film makers? “David Fincher is a psychopath because...” William Shakespeare is a psychopath because he doesn’t care about misc characters he wrote and serve story purpose and who the gently caress writes in sonnets and poo poo?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

cause zod wasn't poo poo

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mantis42 posted:

I mean, Zod didn't really get much of a chance to scream. You know...because of the broken neck.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Caridean posted:

The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird.

It's like some people really do live in an alternative universe where they think "criticisms" like this are actually convincing anybody of anything.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 23, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Caridean posted:

explained above

Please provide visual examples from the film of what you mean, because I'm super curious. I'm still unable to parse how a photographed image can be both garish and monochrome/muted just through text.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Clark knew what he was doing when he finished the job

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Augus posted:

cause zod wasn't poo poo

Truth, couldn't even handle a nerd scientist who'd only just lost his virginity.

Arkage posted:

It's like some people really do live in an alternative universe where they think "criticisms" like this are actually convincing anybody of anything.

That's the "liberal" critique for morality in film.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Caridean posted:

I'm not going to engage with you further because this is a dumb RLM meme that just got posted yesterday and became "common knowledge" in about 10 minutes. If you're going to let 3 mediocre white guys give your opinions to you at least pick a better trio.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean Marvel has all the same death and destruction it’s just that it’s for kids so they don’t show blood usually. There’s genocides all over the MCU.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Imagining people upset when Cyborg puts money in that mother's bank account.

"Has Snyder never heard of teaching a man to fish?"

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Blood Boils posted:

Yo can I get some pics of monochrome explosions that sounds trippy
I don't think this actually looks bad, but it's definitely pretty monochrome

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think some of you realize how op Martian Manhunter is.

Most of the powers of Superman:
Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
"Martian Vision"(more like Cyclops beams than heat)
Survive in space

Also:
Shape Shifting
Density control(walk through walls or become super hard)
Professor X Level telepathy

Only major downside is his weakness is very common and easy to access: Fire

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

gently caress if i know man that explanation made not much sense to me, but I guess if we're gonna thought experiment it out...

The motherboxes are sentient machines, so it is possible that they recognize certain "wavelengths" of poo poo and that can trigger them to wake up and start doing their thing, which could include somehow scanning the planet to decide if there are threats that would prevent them from doing their thing? So maybe it's less a literal knowledge of his being active on earth or not, but once they caught wind that a being that could threaten them had died it got them rolling and then they figured "nothing else to worry about here come on down".

Pretty much I think. I figure the boxes don't know much of anything when they're asleep, but when Silas woke the Nazi box it quickly scanned the earth and then thought "right, I'd better not call out to Darkseid because there's a Kryptonian here" then when Superman dies either the Nazi box is aware and then signals the others, or the boxes are attuned so that a Kryptonian dying registers to them

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

I don't think this actually looks bad, but it's definitely pretty monochrome

It's very much a sepia-toned image, but is in no way garish. If you want garish, look no further than Speed Racer:

[edit] George Lucas' Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are also very lurid films, aesthetically. Both films do not use muted tones and lack the sort of heightened contrast Snyder's films typically have.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 23, 2021

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
Survive in space

Also:
Shape Shifting

I feel like they will go the DCAU route though and he will not really be that level, still strong but relying more on the shapechanging and invisibility/intangibility than being outright at Superman's strength level. (it already kinda seemed like they downgraded Diana's strength to keep Superman as uniquely powerful)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

2house2fly posted:

Pretty much I think. I figure the boxes don't know much of anything when they're asleep, but when Silas woke the Nazi box it quickly scanned the earth and then thought "right, I'd better not call out to Darkseid because there's a Kryptonian here" then when Superman dies either the Nazi box is aware and then signals the others, or the boxes are attuned so that a Kryptonian dying registers to them

Can't find a Kryptonian "bioacoustic" anymore, send up the white smoke.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Caridean posted:

This is just saying that he focuses on the main characters. Which, like, welcome to movies, I guess? Avengers movies also tend to focus on The Avengers. But ZSJL focuses plenty on other characters. Like the woman Cyborg helps with the bank account, as just one example. But there are plenty more. The fishing village with Aquaman. Cyborg's mother and father. Silas' lab partner. The cop Lois visits. Does Alfred count as a "central heroic figure"? All of these characters get more screen time than any non-main characters in most comic book movies. BvS has a ton of scenes focusing on characters other than the "central heroic figures", like the people testifying at Congress, or the people in prison. I really don't get where this criticism comes from. Is it just cutting out the Russian family? Can't we all agree that was a good cut?

bushisms.txt posted:

Now imagine criticizing Snyder for being Randian after seeing this scene.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 23, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
Survive in space

Also:
Shape Shifting

Why doesn’t he wear a full body suit and mask that are fireproof?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
Survive in space

Also:
Shape Shifting

Yeah he’s basically Superman Plus. Just don’t let him get over his fear of fire lmao.

You could really branch him off though. Have a mini JL movie versus White Martians and then the Burning Martian.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caridean posted:

Hi, you're wrong, have a nice day.

Want me to explain why or would you rather stew in ignorance?

Also, fun fact, garish is not, in fact, something you also call lifeless. You cannot be lifelessly garish. Unless you're Zombie Elton John I suppose.

Pick an insult because trying to do a combo with inherently contradictory words does not, in fact, make you seem smarter. It is one or it is the other it is not both because that would imply that it is not lifeless, which is your main point, nothing to do with the actual color pallet of the film. You believe it is drab, but drab things cannot be garish. And by drab you mean lifeless.

So, take a step back, try again.

bushisms.txt posted:

As a Christian Scientist you'd think he would have

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

Why doesn’t he wear a full body suit and mask that are fireproof?

He should just mind control Flash to constantly circle him with a few full fire extinguishers just in case

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McSpanky posted:

This had to be intentional, and even if it wasn't it still works as a thematic throughline in the movie. When he's resurrected and amnesiac his default interaction pattern is Savage Hulk Mode, when we get a fully-returned Supes he's pounding the hell out of an enemy on the ropes with a grimace and eyebeaming pieces off of his face, and then at the end we find out that the whole Knightmare deal is still in the cards.

Sometimes, dead is bettah.

This is a good point I missed. I think I let the 2017 theatrical cut melt my brain too much.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Arkage posted:

I'm not trying to convince you the film was bad, I'm describing why I did not like the film. You are perfectly free to enjoy this film, you have my approval.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm not going to engage with you further because this is a dumb RLM meme that just got posted yesterday and became "common knowledge" in about 10 minutes. If you're going to let 3 mediocre white guys give your opinions to you at least pick a better trio.

I'm pretty sure that if I let RLM dictate my opinion of the film, then I would like the film. The fact this is the first time you've seen this particular criticism of snyder, doesn't mean it's the only time it's ever been made lol.

teagone posted:

Please provide visual examples from the film of what you mean, because I'm super curious. I'm still unable to parse how a photographed image can be both garish and monochrome/muted just through text.
Can't really adequately get across how busy scenes are with stills, but hopefully this at least clears up what I mean by monochrome while also being really bright
https://imgur.com/a/vn99cLz

Caridean fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 23, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

These images are heavy on sepia tones more than anything, emphasizing antiquity. You're using "garish" as a wrong descriptor. Bright =/= garish.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

teagone posted:

These images are heavy on sepia tones more than anything, emphasizing antiquity. You're using "garish" as a wrong descriptor. Bright =/= garish.

This semantic argument doesn't really matter much, and hopefully you at least have some idea of my complaint at this point but I have to ask what you think garish actually means, because you don't seem to be using the definition the rest of the world uses.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bushisms.txt posted:

Frankly I was upset he didn't put in more. $100,000 will not buy 1/4th of the space she needs in a major city.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

teagone posted:

Definition of garish
1: clothed in vivid colors
a garish clown

2a: excessively or disturbingly vivid
garish colors
garish imagery
b: offensively or distressingly bright : GLARING

3: tastelessly showy : FLASHY
garish neon signs

Garish doesn't necessarily refer to color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A couple of people die in the terrorist attack, I guess. After Wonder Woman destroys the bomb the stakes are very specifically the lives of the remaining hostages. The crash where Barry saves Iris doesn't have any casualties other than property damage. The crash that killed Victor's mother is a traumatic event he hasn't recovered from and blames his dad for. The mission into the underground lair is to rescue a dozen or so people that Steppenwolf has kidnapped, and iirc they all survive. In the Superman fight a few cops get a heckin spook from being near his laser vision, but Cyborg and Batman pick them up and dust them off. Silas dies, but he plays a valuable part in stopping Steppenwolf in the process. Then the whole finale takes place in an abandoned wasteland. That's all the bits I can think of that have death and/or destruction in them. Oh, when Steppenwolf takes the boxes, but death and destruction is the point there because he's the villain- seeing the death and destruction he causes establishes the stakes and makes you want the heroes to beat him etc. Overall it's fairly sanitized compared to something like Man Of Steel where Zod is trying to level a city and the best Superman can do is try leading the fight to empty buildings and construction sites