Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Man. I wish I had a cast iron skillet. The big teppan I have is pretty good but I love a good cast iron skillet. drat

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Man. I wish I had a cast iron skillet. The big teppan I have is pretty good but I love a good cast iron skillet. drat

Nothin beats it. I wanna buy more in various sizes. I basically can't order steak in restaurants anymore because of it.

more falafel please

forums poster

Escape From Noise posted:

they're pretty cheap new and there's a million of them out there at flea markets and estate sales and things if you don't mind having to restore them. but seriously a 10" lodge skillet is $18 on amazon rn, as cookware goes it's some of the cheapest stuff around

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

The first thing that comes to mind as a tip is to think about acid as being as important as seasoning or other aspects of flavor.

Sometimes when you taste something and it still feels muted even if it’s sufficiently salty or with whatever basic flavor you want is a hit of acid.

A squirt of citrus
A bloop of vinegar
A spoon of pickle juice

It makes a huge difference in brightening flavors.

more falafel please

forums poster

along those lines, a bit of hot sauce can often really bring a dish together even if it's not supposed to be spicy. it's salt, acid, and heat, and often has other complimentary flavors like garlic and smoke

Poise
I got a crazy deal on a whole beef tenderloin:

I've always wanted to try butchering one of these, there are a lot of videos on YouTube about it like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XiNB924rQ

Here's how mine came out:

Ended up with a nice "Chateaubriand" center cut, 5 filet mignons, the tips, and the sidelobe called the "muscle on roast." There's also the "chain." The tips will be kebabs, the rest will get ground up into (oddly luxurious) tenderloin burgers, and the chain I'm gonna cook just as a snack because I've always wanted to try it but it's one of those "butcher's cuts" that aren't really sold at the counter, I think most butchers either grind it or take it home to eat themselves.

The center cut I did a Wellington with:

Was some fun stuff, I never really thought I would get a chance to butcher a whole tenderloin like that!

:banjo:

Poise fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 23, 2021

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Poise posted:

I got a crazy deal on a whole beef tenderloin:

I've always wanted to try butchering one of these, there are a lot of videos on YouTube about it like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4XiNB924rQ

Here's how mine came out:

Ended up with a nice "Chateaubriand" center cut, 5 filet mignons, the tips, and the sidelobe called the "muscle on roast." There's also the "chain." The tips will be kebabs, the rest will get ground up into (oddly luxurious) tenderloin burgers, and the chain I'm gonna cook just as a snack because I've always wanted to try it but it's one of those "butcher's cuts" that aren't really sold at the counter, I think most butchers either grind it or take it home to eat themselves.

The center cut I did a Wellington with:

Was some fun stuff, I never really thought I would get a chance to butcher a whole tenderloin like that!

:banjo:

That frickin chateaubriand is beautiful. Excellent job!!!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
That tenderloin looks sumptuous AND succulent.

And are we doing skillet talk? Yeah, cast iron owns. Is there a contrarian who says otherwise? It's definitely near the top of the shopping list for when I am in any living situation where I don't have to worry about randoms ruining it or having to lug it to the next airbnb.

And on the top of pans I am having trouble to properly time reducing and integrating concentrates and "hard" sauces. Too late and the harissa paste stays a blop on top of nicely done chickpeas and crisped marjoram sausage. Too early and it becomes a sticky coating of individual legumes. Same with a lot of similar ingredients. Obviously my lack of skill is at fault but I also feel the cheap skillets I have access to play a role since this wasn't a problem in other kitchens.

Entropic

patriarchy sucks

Learning a basic Indian curry base has helped me with a lot of that kind of stuff. Basically you need to fry cumin seeds and mustard seed, then diced onions, throw in crushed garlic and ginger, then add your dried red chilis and fresh or frozen green chilis, then your dry spices like chili powder, powdered cumin, and powdered turmeric, and garam masala, then diced tomato, simmer that, add protein, then add some fenugreek and stuff near the end. You can mix and match! It's a curry adventure!

Also making basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt makes it awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4zVQxPJmnY

Finger Prince

Bright Bart posted:

That tenderloin looks sumptuous AND succulent.

And are we doing skillet talk? Yeah, cast iron owns. Is there a contrarian who says otherwise? It's definitely near the top of the shopping list for when I am in any living situation where I don't have to worry about randoms ruining it or having to lug it to the next airbnb.

And on the top of pans I am having trouble to properly time reducing and integrating concentrates and "hard" sauces. Too late and the harissa paste stays a blop on top of nicely done chickpeas and crisped marjoram sausage. Too early and it becomes a sticky coating of individual legumes. Same with a lot of similar ingredients. Obviously my lack of skill is at fault but I also feel the cheap skillets I have access to play a role since this wasn't a problem in other kitchens.

I'm semi-contrarian about it. Traditional cast iron are too heavy for tossing thing in and can smash up a glass cooktop if that's what you've got and you're clumsy.
However I found this brand at Winners (Canadian TJ Maxx), Brandani, who do a hard nitrided cast iron pan which is thin and way lighter and feels a lot like carbon steel, but holds heat really nicely and can get really hot.

So for me, that's the ideal compromise between the benefits of cast iron and the handling of non-stick or stainless pans. Those heavy boat anchor Lodge or Staub type ones make for a good grill pan that just sits there and heats up and doesn't move around, but I prefer handling over heat sinks for most other stuff.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Learning a basic Indian curry base has helped me with a lot of that kind of stuff. Basically you need to fry cumin seeds and mustard seed, then diced onions, throw in crushed garlic and ginger, then add your dried red chilis and fresh or frozen green chilis, then your dry spices like chili powder, powdered cumin, and powdered turmeric, and garam masala, then diced tomato, simmer that, add protein, then add some fenugreek and stuff near the end. You can mix and match! It's a curry adventure!

Also making basmati rice with grapeseed oil and salt makes it awesome.

I am seriously in love with adding nigella/black cumin to my curries.

And that fresh cilantro/coriander at the very end

:kiss:

Escape From Noise

more falafel please posted:

along those lines, a bit of hot sauce can often really bring a dish together even if it's not supposed to be spicy. it's salt, acid, and heat, and often has other complimentary flavors like garlic and smoke

I would but they aren't really a thing here in Japan. I could probably find one eventually but it takes some doing.

Escape From Noise

RickRogers posted:

I am seriously in love with adding nigella/black cumin to my curries.

And that fresh cilantro/coriander at the very end

:kiss:

loving around with different spices is neat. Also seconding that adding certain garnishes can make a huge difference.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i found an old knife to save i'm doing my part for the environment everyone

before

after

it's so sharp and flexible ya'll

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
That's rad! I like it when items get refurbished and the pictures just show progress but no tool in sight. It's like they're magically getting back into form!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

just mineral oil, a toothpick to scrape the green gunk, and sharpening stones to resurrect the edge

nothing fancy

Finger Prince

Another pro tip that I've read about but never tried until today, and holy crap it's a good pro tip, is if you're making waffle batter (or pancake batter too), separate the eggs and whip the whites into stiff peaks like meringue, then gently fold them into the batter with a spatula before putting on the iron/skillet.
It's worth taking the extra 30 seconds to a minute to do this. I just used the whisk attachment on my stick blender. Your waffles and/or pancakes will be so fluffy!

Derpies

by sebmojo

Mirepoix

more falafel please

forums poster

Derpies posted:

Mirepoix

gently caress yeah dude it sure is

Prof. Crocodile

Derpies posted:

Mirepoix

you making a soup with that mirepoix Derps?

Finger Prince

Derpies posted:

Mirepoix

That's just French soffrito right?

Finger Prince

Has anyone got any recipes or whatever for a dairy free cake icing, like buttercream but without butter or cream? I'm going to make some sort of polenta and almond meal cake tomorrow and want to give it some kind of icing (but not that horrible sugar icing you get on cheap nasty supermarket cakes).

FutonForensic

Finger Prince posted:

Has anyone got any recipes or whatever for a dairy free cake icing, like buttercream but without butter or cream? I'm going to make some sort of polenta and almond meal cake tomorrow and want to give it some kind of icing (but not that horrible sugar icing you get on cheap nasty supermarket cakes).

if you just want low(er)-cal, you could use plain yogurt mixed with some finely chopped fruit. you could also mix a bit of lemon juice with a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar for a tangy glaze. homemade whipped cream or buttercream ain't skimping on anything, but it's leagues better than store-bought

edit: you can also just finish off with a dusting of powdered sugar, but I think the glaze would be especially good at brightening up the dense cake

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 10, 2021

Finger Prince

FutonForensic posted:

if you just want low(er)-cal, you could use plain yogurt mixed with some finely chopped fruit. you could also mix a bit of lemon juice with a couple tablespoons of powdered sugar for a tangy glaze. homemade whipped cream or buttercream ain't skimping on anything, but it's leagues better than store-bought

edit: you can also just finish off with a dusting of powdered sugar, but I think the glaze would be especially good at brightening up the dense cake

Nah it's got to be specifically dairy free or absolute minimally dairy containing. I'm thinking something with coconut cream, but that usually falls apart at room temperature. Unless there's a way to stabilize it. Tangy/sweet was something I was thinking of, so I might experiment with some powdered sugar and lemon juice, I just don't want it to be a sugar glaze. It's got to have some creamy bulk.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

This once. Yes, it's a straight up buttercream with vegan butter. https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-dairy-free-buttercream-frosting/

Finger Prince

Teddy Thunders posted:

This once. Yes, it's a straight up buttercream with vegan butter. https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-dairy-free-buttercream-frosting/

Cool thanks, I'll see if I can find one of the vegan butter brands tomorrow. I know where I can definitely get some but I don't want to walk that far (I was just there this afternoon!)

Derpies

by sebmojo

Prof. Crocodile posted:

you making a soup with that mirepoix Derps?

I made a meat sauce with some nice ground beef and ragu, but gotta make the ragu palatable with the Mirepoix and also get the veggies

Derpies

by sebmojo

Derpies posted:

I made a meat sauce with some nice ground beef and ragu, but gotta make the ragu palatable with the Mirepoix and also get the veggies

Finger Prince posted:

That's just French soffrito right?

Yeah pretty much, I want to try to cajun style one next which is bell peppers onion and garlic

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Derpies posted:

Yeah pretty much, I want to try to cajun style one next which is bell peppers onion and garlic

We call that Holy Trinity down this way

Derpies

by sebmojo

Teddy Thunders posted:

Gonna make me a jambalaya once im a functional human again

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Derpies posted:

If you can get hold of boudin, and you like fish, get the crab boudin. Trust me.

Robot Made of Meat

Derpies posted:

Jambalaya can be amazingly tasty, to the point that it stops me from being functional.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

more falafel please

forums poster

I was down near starved rock a couple months ago and got takeout from a hole in the wall Cajun place that was amazing. jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp etoufee. partner got blackened catfish and that was also great.

i asked for hot sauce and they asked "crystal or sriracha" which was :psyduck:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

I was down near starved rock a couple months ago and got takeout from a hole in the wall Cajun place that was amazing. jambalaya, gumbo, shrimp etoufee. partner got blackened catfish and that was also great.

i asked for hot sauce and they asked "crystal or sriracha" which was :psyduck:

Just wait until you hear about Viet-Cajun crawfish.

You get both.

Derpies

by sebmojo

Teddy Thunders posted:

Just wait until you hear about Viet-Cajun crawfish.

You get both.

We got a restaurant near my work called bucket o crawfish that's viet cajun.

It's really loving good.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I made instant pot pho ga for the first time and out in too much fish sauce and it is good.

Teddy Thunders posted:

Is ya momma catholic and can she make a roux??

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Is ya momma catholic and can she make a roux??

Serial believer and couldn't cook her way out of a burning meat locker. Didn't stop me from being raised right by others.

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

couldn't cook her way out of a burning meat locker.

Coming to the Food Network this summer

Derpies

by sebmojo
gonna smoke a 12 pound pork shoulder tomorrow provided grey forums ppl dont prob me who wants to see progress photos! Will put them on the discord too,

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Derpies posted:

gonna smoke a 12 pound pork shoulder tomorrow provided grey forums ppl dont prob me who wants to see progress photos! Will put them on the discord too,

smoke that poo poo :peanut: