Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bullbar posted:

It was kinda frustrating to see all the threads laid down that aren't going to get pulled on (especially stuff like Spectre and Atom), and that epilogue was insufferably unnecessary. I especially could've done with never seeing Jared Leto as Joker again.

Stuff like the rough special effects didn't bother me and I didn't notice the aspect ratio after a while.

I said earlier that if they ever make their way up to it or find the time, I think Snyder would be my choice to direct Kingdom Come but then I thought a little more and...

How about Astro City? Seems right up his ally.

Tons of characters, lots of subtext and symbolism, cool Alex Ross paintings to frame and imitate and all that. He'd have a clean brush and palette to work with there that would free him up from having to deal with "Not My _________". Not sure there's a market for an Astro City movie but GotG and other stuff have proved that lesser known superheroes can work if it's done well and he wouldn't be burdened with origins and poo poo.

Just cramming a bunch of meaningful characters into a well woven story seems like a project he'd do well at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Squinty posted:

No? Garish implies excessive, tasteless embellishment. A garish color palette would probably imply high chroma, but a garish monochromatic film would be something like Sin City.

The very definition states a subjective judgement of poor taste. Like, would the Sin City films look better with less extreme contrasts?

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Augus posted:

I have no idea what the standard for "caring about ordinary people" is supposed to be in a blockbuster action movie and the more it's explained the less I understand it

I wonder how much of the complaint has to do with the like, relative proportion of DC heroes who are actually superpowered. IIRC part of what the RLM guys said is about like how the characters are all Gods, which like, fine, either you think that's interesting or you don't, but that's something. But there are a lot of Marvel heroes who are much more like Batman than Superman, right - Hawkeye and Black Widow obviously, and while they don't play huges roles they are major characters. Same goes for the Nolan movies. Probably I'm being too reductive, but it's a definite difference.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Squinty posted:

garish monochromatic film would be something like Sin City.

Lol. I disagree.

[edit] Actually, I lied. Elements of Sin City are garish... and those are the elements where the contrasting colors jarringly pop against the stark black/white imagery, e.g., the garish bright red blood splatters, the grossly disfigured yellow dude.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 23, 2021

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

smug n stuff posted:

I wonder how much of the complaint has to do with the like, relative proportion of DC heroes who are actually superpowered. IIRC part of what the RLM guys said is about like how the characters are all Gods, which like, fine, either you think that's interesting or you don't, but that's something. But there are a lot of Marvel heroes who are much more like Batman than Superman, right - Hawkeye and Black Widow obviously, and while they don't play huges roles they are major characters. Same goes for the Nolan movies. Probably I'm being too reductive, but it's a definite difference.

Shockingly there are more DC heroes that are just dudes than there are Marvel heroes. Most Marvel heroes have super powers to some degree.

The difference is, in DC, you are either a Batman or you're a living deity. You've got humans and you've got Gods and not a whole lot in between.

Marvel is littered with the middle ground guys. Spider-Man, Iron Fist, dudes who have powers but aren't especially powerful.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC has always been at its best when it leans into making its characters mythical and extravagant instead of trying to be Marvel-lite.

Even dudes like Batman don't have normal people problems, he's more like vampire king of the city of nightmares than Iron Man being a drunk libertarian.

Are there plenty of DC characters that don't fit that definition? Sure, but the Justice League has largely been about literal demi-gods and their spectacular battles.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Burkion posted:

Shockingly there are more DC heroes that are just dudes than there are Marvel heroes. Most Marvel heroes have super powers to some degree.

The difference is, in DC, you are either a Batman or you're a living deity. You've got humans and you've got Gods and not a whole lot in between.

Marvel is littered with the middle ground guys. Spider-Man, Iron Fist, dudes who have powers but aren't especially powerful.

I'm specifically talking about the movies, but this is a good point.
One obvious example here is the fact that time travel plays a major role in both Endgame and ZSJL, but in Endgame they have to work together As A Team to do it ~relatable!~, whereas here the Flash just does it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

One day this thread will over analyze and breakdown any language that is critical of Snyder's work until communication is simply gifs and screenshots from Snyder's movies. Which will probably.be better.

Yo if this is your takeaway from an obvious rereg spouting talking points from twitter and insinuating we are all idiots who don't know English, then I guess we'll just have to live with our bad reputation

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Roth posted:

DC has always been at its best when it leans into making its characters mythical and extravagant instead of trying to be Marvel-lite.

Even dudes like Batman don't have normal people problems, he's more like vampire king of the city of nightmares than Iron Man being a drunk libertarian.

Are there plenty of DC characters that don't fit that definition? Sure, but the Justice League has largely been about literal demi-gods and their spectacular battles.

Morrison is the key. Writing DC, everyone is a literal universal constant. Writing Marvel, Phoenix is a god that owns her humanity at the end, the weakest and most human mutants are the most important.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

Yo if this is your takeaway from an obvious rereg spouting talking points from twitter and insinuating we are all idiots who don't know English, then I guess we'll just have to live with our bad reputation

Kal-El, his suit black, his eyes red.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Kal-El, his suit black, his eyes red.

gently caress you Snyder, I will not buy an alienware PC

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

teagone posted:

"Bright" also doesn't necessarily mean garish.

Garish implies using a combination of different colors that are overly vivid/heavily saturated to jarring effect imo. Being "bright" alone doesn't make something garish. The resulting effect of employing a garish palette can be considered "bright" or "showy" or whatever the gently caress, but that is dictated by contrasting color choices. You really can't have a monochrome image with muted tones be garish because a monochrome image with muted tones is just that: a monochrome image with muted tones, lol. But sure, if you want to argue semantics don't matter much, by all means.

Holy poo poo. Someone else even posted the literal dictionary definition and you still dont get it. You're completely hopeless, I give up.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

The very definition states a subjective judgement of poor taste. Like, would the Sin City films look better with less extreme contrasts?

No! But tasteless and garish also don't mean "looks bad". I think Sin City looks great, and I think its depictions of sex and violence and sexualized violence are purposely garish to condemn our worship of violent heroism. Similar to how they hyperreal stylized violence in 300 is used to depict the Spartans' propagandization of its soldiers.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Squinty posted:

No! But tasteless and garish also don't mean "looks bad". I think Sin City looks great, and I think its depictions of sex and violence and sexualized violence are purposely garish to condemn our worship of violent heroism. Similar to how they hyperreal stylized violence in 300 is used to depict the Spartans' propagandization of its soldiers.

Actually, a crucial part of the meaning of both tasteless & garish is that something is deemed aesthetically bad. I think you're mistaking that for irredeemable.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 24, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Quoting the dictionary at somebody is the ultimate own. hosed up if you ask me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Caridean posted:

Holy poo poo. Someone else even posted the literal dictionary definition and you still dont get it. You're completely hopeless, I give up.

Nice, thanks for stopping by!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caridean posted:

I give up.

Can't give up when you never even tried

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Squinty posted:

But tasteless and garish also don't mean "looks bad".

:psyduck:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think this conversation would be less awful if somebody would provide an example.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Tasteless and garish mean "looks bad in certain ways" so yeah they don't mean "looks bad."

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Remember back when people would laugh that the S stands for hope? Simpler times.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Describing this films color palette as "garish" does not make any sense.

Schumachers neon night gang and general use of bright flashy kaleidoscopic neon colors in his Batman films is how I would describe "garish" in the perspective of its use in a DC property.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

Actually, a crucial part of the meaning of both tasteless & garish is that something is aesthetically bad. I think you're mistaking that for irredeemable.

Not in this context. Here, tasteless is the opposite of tasteful. Do you think Sin City is a tasteful movie? Is it nice and inoffensive and polite, or does it punch you in the face like a Joel-Peter Witkin photograph? Words are fun!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Can someone post screenshots of the garish and monochrome looking Zack Snyder's Justice League?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Caridean posted:

Hope you enjoyed your stay

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Roth posted:

Can someone post screenshots of the garish and monochrome looking Zack Snyder's Justice League?

You won't get anything garish, but the movie does use really strong colored lighting sources and so if you take a screenshot of the film when one of those big lights is in the frame (Steppenwolf's yellow lighting, the red explosions from the Parademon weapons, the huge strobe from Wonder Woman's gauntlets) you'll get a fairly monochrome image.

BTW, I do think that the palette of Snyder's movies are usually somewhat muted and the color scheme generally follows the idea of a dominant color in each scene (for Darkseid's attack, it's a sort of rusty orange, whereas in the underwater scene with Steppenwolf it's a cooler blue - that sort of thing). However, acting like a muted color scheme is some sort of failing - well, then I'm sorry to say, that critic doesn't come off well very in my eyes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't this have something to do with Snyder's original idea, where the motherboxes (or maybe the anti-life equation?) were tied into the Codex being part of Superman's DNA?

Hmm, if Kryptonians are as dangerous as we know them to be, the motherboxes could have been triggered to activate on their extinction. But when Krypton exploded that didn't do it, because the entire race was encoded in the codex inside Kal-El.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Roth posted:

Quoting the dictionary at somebody is the ultimate own. hosed up if you ask me.

I mean everyone else seems to be arguing that a word can mean ONLY ONE THING at all and using it in any context that does not refer to the color saturation of an image is objectively incorrect. You'd think they'd at least start with a dictionary if that's they argument you wanna make.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everyone else seems to be arguing that the movie isn't actually garish. If the dictionary isn't useful in helping others understand what is meant by calling that, maybe an example would communicate it better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Personally, Im of the opinion its a good thing when a comic book movie strives to look more like a music video and less like a CBS sitcom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_-ICoc8ifc

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq9f21UO8wg

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Everyone else seems to be arguing that the movie isn't actually garish. If the dictionary isn't useful in helping others understand what is meant by calling that, maybe an example would communicate it better.

Better just keep posting thousands of words then give up, there’s no other way to covey what I mean!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

*proceeds to cherry pick shots that are showered in light from a bright rear end light source*

ZSJL is garish, but also drab. The film looks lifeless, but also lurid. I am critic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bongo Bill posted:

This thread likes arguing semantics lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

This thread likes arguing semantics lol

A Snyder Cut existed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm still not sure what "Shot like a music video" means, or why he's a psychopath for doing that.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I know the pandemic is awful, but at least we can now officially have mask couture.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

McCloud posted:

I'm still not sure what "Shot like a music video" means, or why he's a psychopath for doing that.

Our intrepid critic has explained that "shot like a music video" means "too much slow motion" and "overly dramatic" (!?!??!?). And Snyder is a psychopath because "everyone agrees that he doesn't care about normal people only heroes" (which was the topic du jour from RLM yesterday)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

McCloud posted:

Music videos look bad by default, I guess? I dunno, I've watched several that looked good

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

McCloud posted:

To be fair, that's exactly how I would describe Michael Bay :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

Music videos look bad by default, I guess? I dunno, I've watched several that looked good

Well maybe you thought they looked good, but were mistaken. Webster’s dictionary defines a “music video” as