Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The soundtrack owned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCZVRQ3z5qE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
When I think of poo poo List, I think of the much superior soundtrack (not even close) of Natural Born Killers.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phanatic posted:

My friends and I back in college went to see Pet Sematary 2 in the theater, and snuck in a case of beer to do it and goddamned if that wasn't the perfect way to watch that ANY film.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Sometimes dead is better but sometimes Clancy Brown has an electrified cage in his backyard filled with rabbits he watches have sex.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Drew buddy

Found my keys!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

nate fisher posted:

When I think of poo poo List, I think of the much superior soundtrack (not even close) of Natural Born Killers.

:hfive:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If you're going prequel crazy they could do an IT prequel too. Get the Duffer brothers because it's the 80's. The 1880's.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Have the Duffers done anything besides Stranger Things that's making people so excited? The first season is great, but it's almost immediately obvious a few episodes into the second that it was originally supposed to be an anthology series, because it follows a lot of the same beats and the same drat kid gets possessed. I bailed out of the third season when I realized we'd been watching the same three characters hang out in the yogurt shop for five episodes, and that Mike and the Sheriff suddenly turned into complete assholes that hate each other.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

If they actually film the Sawyers in Hampton Beach, NH, it could take place any time between 1979 and now. The boardwalk area is just a time capsule of the reagan years. heck, there was an SA front page article about it a decade ago - https://www.somethingawful.com/news/hampton-beach-awful/.

when my wife and i moved back to NH a few years back, we did a winter rental there because she had a job lined up and i didn't, so we didn't want to commit to a 12 month lease if i found a job too far away. anyway, it is in fact very much like how king and straub described the place in the talisman. just a lot more heroin now. i was surprised by how much i liked the novel after reading for the first time in 2016-ish based on the premise. I bet it would have been even better if I tackled it as a kid.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Have the Duffers done anything besides Stranger Things that's making people so excited? The first season is great, but it's almost immediately obvious a few episodes into the second that it was originally supposed to be an anthology series, because it follows a lot of the same beats and the same drat kid gets possessed. I bailed out of the third season when I realized we'd been watching the same three characters hang out in the yogurt shop for five episodes, and that Mike and the Sheriff suddenly turned into complete assholes that hate each other.

Pretty much nothing no. They did some short films, one movie in 2015 (that they finished in 2012) and I think some TV work. STRANGER THINGS always annoyed me a little because the Duffers aren't 80s kids. They're 90s kids. They were born in 1984. There's no nostalgia for the 80s, it's nostalgia for Amblin movies and Stephen King hardbacks that probably sat on their parents shelf. Like the kid who has a THE THING poster on their wall. The movie was notoriously a huge failure, no one, particularly not some drippy kid, was giving a poo poo about it until years later.

It's like when you watch BABY DRIVER and think this movie is just Edgar Wright wanting me to like his music collection, none of this feels like music the character would listen to.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Mar 19, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
How dare people... like things that were made before they were born?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

packetmantis posted:

How dare people like things

Unironically fixed this for you.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
There's nothing wrong with liking 80s stuff, but when you set your TV show in a period you have next to no personal experience with and it comes out feeling more like a goofy insincere pastiche than a period piece. Which is fine, but it's also tiring after the literal decades of 80s nostalgia we've all been living through.

I'm nostalgic for 80s King because the stories were good, not because they took place in the 80s.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if you want a picture of the future, imagine a child on a bicycle, getting bullied -- forever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay I'm sitting down to watch the new Stand miniseries. Not looking forward to this.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Some parts aren't bad. It's just confusing and disappointing.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Half way thru I could recommend it slightly despite my misgivings about the lack of character development, but after it is all said and done, it is a POS and you should skip it. I am still surprised at how bad it was.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I will say that it's cast well. It's just that cast has nothing to do.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

why was Tom Cullen even *there*. It reduced his arc to "meets a guy in a hospital, gets sent to Vegas, walks back"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched the first 4 episodes.

It was bad.

Worse than I had imagined.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It gets much much worse

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

My wife is watching it. I elected to pass. I'll be curious about what she thinks because she likes some hot garbage sometimes.

Anyway I came into this thread because I'm actually reading King for the first time. Picked up The Outsider at the library. I'm surprised at how workmanlike his writing is. Maybe it's purposeful because of the story and characters, being cops and all, but I still though it would be more stylized.

I'm about halfway through this 600 page book and the characters are just starting to clue into the fact that there might be something fishy going on. Easy read though, the chapters are about 1.5 pages long. Is that a common King thing?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

stratdax posted:

My wife is watching it. I elected to pass. I'll be curious about what she thinks because she likes some hot garbage sometimes.

Anyway I came into this thread because I'm actually reading King for the first time. Picked up The Outsider at the library. I'm surprised at how workmanlike his writing is. Maybe it's purposeful because of the story and characters, being cops and all, but I still though it would be more stylized.

I'm about halfway through this 600 page book and the characters are just starting to clue into the fact that there might be something fishy going on. Easy read though, the chapters are about 1.5 pages long. Is that a common King thing?

Well CUJO has no chapters at all, which makes sense given his cocaine and booze consumption at the time. Having said that, I didn't particularly care for THE OUTSIDER myself and I'm sure it has its fans here, though even they might say it's not a good choice for your first King.

imabanana
May 26, 2006

stratdax posted:

Easy read though, the chapters are about 1.5 pages long. Is that a common King thing?

I think it's becoming a late-career thing because I just noticed this with his newest.

Which really wasn't great in general. Like, it was fine, but I had half-forgotten it a week later.

Kind of starting to accept the fact that King might never write a book I consider good again. In the 2010s I enjoyed Joyland, Revival, The Wind Through The Keyhole, and 11/22/63, but the newest of those was written in 2014. I'm afraid it might mostly be hack crime novels from here on out.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

stratdax posted:

Anyway I came into this thread because I'm actually reading King for the first time.

Not really, no. At least generally speaking.

The thread has tons of recommendations for first King books to give a whirl. Some of the best ones may be colored by your experience with the associated movie(s) if you've seen them so I'd say look into the "classic" list and pick a book that you don't know anything about. Carrie, the Shining, Pet Semetary, Dead Zone.

I didn't read The Outsider so I don't know if it's any good but I'd say grab something early from him (or just something widely praised) that you don't know a loving thing about. His best reviewed stuff is usually deserving of the praise.

Having said that, almost all the short story collections have something to offer and the great thing with them is that by the time you decide you dislike something, you have a new story and, conversely, when you really dig one you're anxious to start another. Also that it lets King mess around with several styles so I might start there. Most of the short stories aren't movies or part of the lexicon so you get a lot of surprises.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I probably spent way too much money on a thing.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Alright cool, will do, thanks all. I'm not disliking The Outsider or anything, it's perfectly fine. I guess the short chapters and plain writing was a choice to make it seem more like a police procedural (which, so far, it is), so the style fits the story.

I'll definitely read another, more lauded book after this one. I never liked horror movies so I'm not sure if I've actually seen any movies based on his novels except for The Shining and Christine. And Doctor Sleep, which I thought was excellent.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I thought the outsider was great until The main character died and after that it went downhill. Still not a BAD book, considering, it just could have been better.

(Don’t click the spoiler if you haven’t read the book yet)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

stratdax posted:

I'll definitely read another, more lauded book after this one. I never liked horror movies so I'm not sure if I've actually seen any movies based on his novels except for The Shining and Christine.

You don't like horror movies or horror in general? If it's that latter, read some of the Bachman books. Different Seasons might work well for you.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I probably spent way too much money on a thing.

No. No you did not.

Those are wonderful.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

RCarr posted:

I thought the outsider was great until The main character died and after that it went downhill. Still not a BAD book, considering, it just could have been better.

(Don’t click the spoiler if you haven’t read the book yet)

Yeah, that’s a big spoiler, and tho I haven’t read the book, I saw the HBO show and I thought they handled it really well. The show had me guessing all the way til the end.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I don't understand how the new The Stand miniseries had less character development with 2x the amount of running time than the 90's miniseries did. They made a big deal out of telling the story in a nonlinear way, which really only made it feel frenetic and unfocused, only to abandon the flashbacks halfway through the show.

I will say that Owen Teague as Harold Lauder is fantastic and carries most of the show, but also watching incel characters being lovely is not exactly something people want to watch these days.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

You don't like horror movies or horror in general? If it's that latter, read some of the Bachman books. Different Seasons might work well for you.

I never even thought to look at what the library had for Bachman. I will check that out. Thanks!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

el oso posted:

I don't understand how the new The Stand miniseries had less character development with 2x the amount of running time than the 90's miniseries did. They made a big deal out of telling the story in a nonlinear way, which really only made it feel frenetic and unfocused, only to abandon the flashbacks halfway through the show.

The dumbest part of this is that momentous things are happening to the characters but we don't care because we've seen these characters for 5 seconds and we don't care about them. It's as if the show just assumed you've already read the book and already know who these people are.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, have to agree. It was such a strange misfire. Because the first few parts weren't chronological, most of the show just felt like a collection of scenes. Besides that, there were a ton of unneeded changes that didn't improve the story. (Look at e.g. Shawshank for a good change, where Darabont keeps the same warden throughout the movie, instead of the four or five different wardens in the novella.) It seemed like the script was changing things up just to do it -- they could do the Lincoln Tunnel in 1994 but they decided to go with sewers in the new version for some reason?

Like el oso mentioned up-thread, Owen Teague was great as Harold, and I came around to Greg Kinnear's Glen, but the show characters mostly aren't the book characters. That's probably a result of the cultural differences between the novel's time and the show's time (even the updated novel set in 1990 felt anachronistic sometimes) but I think a lot of it just ties back to a script that didn't really let the characters breathe.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I still love that Stephen King has fallen so far off that I'm apparently the only one that read his newest book in this thread and mentioned it pages ago. Years ago, this would not have been the case.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Has he fallen off? Later is #1 on the NYT paperback trade fiction.

I get the impression that his crime story series doesn’t get the same marketing attention as his horror stuff. I’m not sure if it’s his usual publisher or a separate specialty press.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Darko posted:

I still love that Stephen King has fallen so far off that I'm apparently the only one that read his newest book in this thread and mentioned it pages ago. Years ago, this would not have been the case.

This thread population is also currently six people and a stray cat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I mean I'm going to read it but the pandemic has made my brain smooth and I don't read as much or as quickly as I used to. So I'll read it whenever I finish my current book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Darko posted:

I read it, I liked it. It was OK - not OMG SO AMAZING that I have to gush, not so bad that I'm like WTF DUDE. It would have been better if there weren't so many smirky "Oh, just like the movie!" lines.

I guess if it were really great or really bad, more people would have strong opinions that they wanted to share, but it's just pretty good and not especially memorable. That said, SK's "pretty good" is still better than a lot of other authors' best work, so I'll take it.