Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, that’s Yuriko alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

There's a few characters you can't go head to head against, at least without being high level. If you can afford to, wait until someone else throws some suspicion their way and back up the accuser.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, Yukiko has incredibly high stats so she tends to dominate games and is really hard to vote out/disagree with. There's a reason why Stealth is her weak point.

Also fun discovery: try to make a game where you are Doctor/Engineer but don't step up neither yourself or asked and let an evil do it. Go on, try it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've never played Werewolf or its like before and this just sounded interesting enough that I popped the $25. Not too far in at all (I assume I'm still in the tutorial) but Yuriko just removed my Ignore Targeting protection :ohdear:.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Update: Yuriko murdered me on the second night after we managed to correctly vote off the false Engineer (Gina). Guess 10 Stealth wasn't enough. In the after-action report, it was at least amusing to me that Guardian Angel Raqio tried to defend Gina, who murdered him.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
I kept accidentally mashing through the "step forward" request when playing as Doctor or Engineer, so I ended up in a fun loop where Gnosia Otome was declared definitely human and everything was hosed. The AI does not consider dumb human error in its reasoning.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hogama posted:

I've never played Werewolf or its like before and this just sounded interesting enough that I popped the $25. Not too far in at all (I assume I'm still in the tutorial) but Yuriko just removed my Ignore Targeting protection :ohdear:.

That's just a tutorial thing - they want you to stick around for the first few loops so that you can see how things play out before throwing you to the wolves and letting you get voted out/stabbed as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tfw the Gnosia eliminate you despite you having exactly the wrong idea about who was Gnosia...

I'm at the point where I can pick the conditions for the next loop, anyone have ideas about what setup is best to learn how to get better (without regard for XP/events) cause I'm just very bad at this? Been going like 10 players/2 Gnosia with engineers and doctors enabled and the other roles off cause I noticed AC Followers were very confusing to me.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Princey posted:

I kept accidentally mashing through the "step forward" request when playing as Doctor or Engineer, so I ended up in a fun loop where Gnosia Otome was declared definitely human and everything was hosed. The AI does not consider dumb human error in its reasoning.

Yeah it took me by surprise that there was no way to late claim but I guess that would throw a wrench in the whole “Definitely Human/Enemy” mechanic

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

tfw the Gnosia eliminate you despite you having exactly the wrong idea about who was Gnosia...

I'm at the point where I can pick the conditions for the next loop, anyone have ideas about what setup is best to learn how to get better (without regard for XP/events) cause I'm just very bad at this? Been going like 10 players/2 Gnosia with engineers and doctors enabled and the other roles off cause I noticed AC Followers were very confusing to me.

You have the option to do Event Search, which sets a set of rules and also tinkers with role assignments behind the scenes so you can more easily see special scenes, it's pretty much the objective of the story. That way you can try out different roles and get Commands which are really important.

AC Followers are just humans who side with the Gnosia: this means they can lie about their role (and lie in general) but Engineer and Doctor will find them human. In a normal Werewolf game they win even if they die as long as the evil team wins, but in this game it's more important to survive till the end even if you lose so there's not much value on playing one.

Honestly, the biggest advice for this game is to just play and try out different things: EXP scales with the number of loops so you eventually raise your stats so you can control situations more easily.

Princey posted:

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah it took me by surprise that there was no way to late claim but I guess that would throw a wrench in the whole “Definitely Human/Enemy” mechanic

That was what I was hinting at my last post but didn't want to be that overt. It's a pretty powerful tool though: using Step Forward D1 means one of the claimants is guaranteed to be Engineer/Doctor because of that quirk (and also that you should pay attention if someone else claims/asks for claims). Pretty sure it's intentional given that there's a special scene if the "Totally a Human" fake claim says something that is a Definitively Enemy trigger.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Disabling AC follower and bug makes things a lot easier because you no longer have to account for the possibility that humans can be lying.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
One of my favorite plays when it works is not revealing Guard Duty day 1 and one of the fake Engineers say they are Gnosia and then we reveal then as Guard Duty.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

9-10 players, 3 gnosia, no ac followers or bugs, play as the engineer and survive as long as possible so you get to verify your guesses after each round. That’s what I’ve been doing to get a feel for how characters act and react as gnosia. Maybe throwing AC followers in there might help now that I think about it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

That was what I was hinting at my last post but didn't want to be that overt. It's a pretty powerful tool though: using Step Forward D1 means one of the claimants is guaranteed to be Engineer/Doctor because of that quirk (and also that you should pay attention if someone else claims/asks for claims).

Just did this and the AC and Gnosia both pretended to be the engineer. This lead to the AC outing the Gnosia, followed by the Gnosia mercing the AC while I sat back laughing.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Mega64 posted:

I'll throw some screenshots up later, unless someone has a gallery or knows of a good write-up or whatever. I'm still early on (17 loops so far), so I don't really have any good advice of my own yet.

Oh, I just meant like a flashing READ THE HOW TO PLAY SECTION. No need for extra :effort:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Are there any tells in the pictures? I've been looking but can't really tell.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
No, sadly, no facial expressions or anything that gives it away. I guess once you caught on it'd make things too easy, although it'd be a cool substitute for the "this person is lying" flash.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

That's just a tutorial thing - they want you to stick around for the first few loops so that you can see how things play out before throwing you to the wolves and letting you get voted out/stabbed as well.
I figured. I just hit the loop where Setsu wants to really kick off the plot. Had a tense round before that where Kukrusha, Gina, and SQ all declared Engineer day 1, then SQ was killed, and with the first reports on day 2 I caught Gina in a lie when both of them reported the same person as human, so I knew that SQ was the real Engineer and the other two were likely AC Follower and Gnosia, but it ended up coming down to just me and doctor Jonas against Kukrusha because my convincing powers suck so I could only really watch everyone voting off the humans. But hey, victory.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Are there any tells in the pictures? I've been looking but can't really tell.
The biggest tell is if Shigemichi pops up.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I know Shigemichi is the joke character, but Raqio has been pretty consistently getting iced on the first day in many of my recent loops.

I'm almost done unlocking everybody's notes, and it feels like the rate of special events is slowing down. I don't mind restarting a loop over and over to get the right configuration of characters/roles, but it'd be nice if I had more information about what I need to be looking for when I'm event-hunting (e.g., must have Yuriko in the game)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm liking the way some(but not too many) events are strategy hints. Most of Raqio's events are 'if XYZ is the situation, who is gnosia/human/whatever(or can you even definitively tell)' tutorials with them being surprised if you can do basic logic before answering. Then there's one group event where Raqio suggests looking for gnosia by seeing who defends each other too much, before the other people in the event point out that they're 100% the type of rear end in a top hat who would throw their own allies under the bus if they're gnosia. :allears:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
The best event is the one when Jonas and Shigemichi both claim the same role and then play videogames to see who will get voted out but if Shigemichi wins....

"That's the Gnosia power baby!"

"Shigemichi has been sent to cold sleep"

:allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shigi-Hey Stella, do you uh...like sombody

Goddamn it why does this event keep trying to happen one or both of them are gonna die now :sigh:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh, lol. Well that's sure a finish. Sitting here agonizing over figuring out who all the Gnosia are but unable to sway the crew in time...and I win because I'm the Bug.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

IceBorg posted:

The best event is the one when Jonas and Shigemichi both claim the same role and then play videogames to see who will get voted out but if Shigemichi wins....

"That's the Gnosia power baby!"

"Shigemichi has been sent to cold sleep"

:allears:

There’s also a version of that event where Jonas is Gnosia and lets it slip, though Shigemichi’s is probably funnier

404notfound posted:

I know Shigemichi is the joke character, but Raqio has been pretty consistently getting iced on the first day in many of my recent loops.

The “Good at the deduction part, bad at the social part” is an extremely common type of Werewolf player. The devs really did their homework on this stuff

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Finally beat it on Loop 176. I finally gave in and looked up how to trigger the last event I needed, and I’m glad I did because it seems like I needed to use the cover command on someone (which I almost never do anymore), so it would have taken me ages to luck into that.

Really enjoyed both the ending and the True Ending. What a cool, weird little game. I can definitely still see myself firing it back up for a loop or two every now and again.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Haifisch posted:

I'm liking the way some(but not too many) events are strategy hints. Most of Raqio's events are 'if XYZ is the situation, who is gnosia/human/whatever(or can you even definitively tell)' tutorials with them being surprised if you can do basic logic before answering. Then there's one group event where Raqio suggests looking for gnosia by seeing who defends each other too much, before the other people in the event point out that they're 100% the type of rear end in a top hat who would throw their own allies under the bus if they're gnosia. :allears:

My favorite tutorializing event is Yuriko straight up telling you she’s Gnosia and being all “try to get me.” It took me a few tries but it was a great exercise in figuring out how to nail someone who has better stats and abilities than me. Of course, by the time I got to the endgame I could just steamroll her like everyone else, but for early strategy it was cool.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It annoys me when I have a game where I'm Engineer and confirm someone is Gnosia and then Otome/Comet keep pulling me aside and saying "(Gnosia person) is lying!" I keep getting my hopes up that they're going to give me useful info!

The game does a good job of making Jonas really weird in a unique way. Can't really think of many characters I've encountered who are weird in that same sort of way.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
SQ really loves teaming up with me. So far I'm about 3/5 times where she was Gnosia and stayed "loyal" to me to the end.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
She's a troll. From what I gathered she can be both the worst and best teammate/enemy. There's no middle.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SQ and Kukrushka both have high Performance/Charm and low logic so they basically act based on emotion and are a pain in the rear end to pin down, which makes them real annoying to deal with since they can make someone dislikable and gun for them (though SQ tends to go more on the "making random collabs to have a Seek Help bot and making random accusations" and Kukrushka tends to "Regret and make you regret doubting her because half the crew is defending her and gunning down whoever she dislikes".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

Really enjoyed both the ending and the True Ending. What a cool, weird little game. I can definitely still see myself firing it back up for a loop or two every now and again.

Same. Game is adorable and worth playing.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

SQ and Kukrushka both have high Performance/Charm and low logic so they basically act based on emotion and are a pain in the rear end to pin down, which makes them real annoying to deal with since they can make someone dislikable and gun for them (though SQ tends to go more on the "making random collabs to have a Seek Help bot and making random accusations" and Kukrushka tends to "Regret and make you regret doubting her because half the crew is defending her and gunning down whoever she dislikes".

Huh. I never really noticed that SQ and Kukrushka are similar, but now that you say it, it makes sense :v:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm hoping this someday, somehow comes to PC because I would love to play it and it absolutely sounds like my bag, but... yeah, I haven't really done consoles for a Long time.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finally finished the game, after giving in and looking up a few things. One of the last character notes I needed was, frustratingly, tied to the lesson on learning the don't vote command, which required a bit of a unique setup that for some reason I just hadn't really encountered over 100 loops in.

The individual dialogue gets repetitive after playing through each loop so many times, and by the end your stats are so high that it doesn't require much social maneuvering to get things done, so I'm probably not going to keep playing the game, unless I get the urge some weeks or months down the line and restart from scratch. But single-player Mafia was surprisingly fun, and the Hades-like drip-feeding of the mystery after every loop was a great way to keep me engaged. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

The only thing that I think is a bit of a mark against it is Comet's unfortunate outfit design. I'm fine just looking past it, but it makes it a little difficult to recommend to others without a big disclaimer.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Girl just wants to let her stuff flow free and breathe. Don't slime-slame.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Girl. i love you but stop wearing jellyfish and stop not wearing anything else

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

404notfound posted:

Finally finished the game, after giving in and looking up a few things. One of the last character notes I needed was, frustratingly, tied to the lesson on learning the don't vote command, which required a bit of a unique setup that for some reason I just hadn't really encountered over 100 loops in.

The individual dialogue gets repetitive after playing through each loop so many times, and by the end your stats are so high that it doesn't require much social maneuvering to get things done, so I'm probably not going to keep playing the game, unless I get the urge some weeks or months down the line and restart from scratch. But single-player Mafia was surprisingly fun, and the Hades-like drip-feeding of the mystery after every loop was a great way to keep me engaged. Definitely a worthwhile experience.

The only thing that I think is a bit of a mark against it is Comet's unfortunate outfit design. I'm fine just looking past it, but it makes it a little difficult to recommend to others without a big disclaimer.

I can agree. I ended up farming EXP by doing Solo Gnosia no evil Roles (gives you hundreds of thousands of EXP when the cap per level is 50k), maxed out everything and finally got the drat last command I was missing. Having 50 in all stats is hilarious because you can do poo poo like stopping Say I'm Human without people voting you off, inmediately turning anyone into Raquio by doubting them or claiming Engineer and making people Vote off your Gnosia characters. It turns the game into a pub Among Us rond where you can get the Guard Duty voted off by saying "they sus".

I still somehow have the feeling of wanting to play even more but I'll drop it for a bit because it actually hooked me too much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I ended up farming EXP by doing Solo Gnosia no evil Roles

What is no evil roles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Waltzing Along posted:

What is no evil roles?

No AC follower, no Bug.