Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Koopa Kid posted:

I know nobody cares about PDO problems but Toronto shot 5% as a team and had a save percentage sub .900 for two weeks, the closeness of the standings right now is reflective of that and hopefully from a Leafs perspective won't remain that way, obviously this stuff ebbs and flows but the Leafs are literally at the unsustainable nadir of their season

Not related to your point but I certainly wasn't trying to discredit Kyle Connor, what the hell

Toronto also benefited from an unsustainably high PDO for a while there.

https://twitter.com/TopDownHockey/status/1370946398363914241

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
MAF has had a nearly 2 decade NHL career with 3 Cups and the first thing I think of is still his loving giveaway in overtime of the world juniors.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dr Zaius posted:

MAF has had a nearly 2 decade NHL career with 3 Cups and the first thing I think of is still his loving giveaway in overtime of the world juniors.

Pierre Mcguire account spotted

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Toronto is carrying a 101.8 PDO vs WPGs 101 on the season. Even with the Leafs cratering for 2 weeks they are still shooting drat near 11% in all situations ( a full 2.3% above league average) and at 5v5 the Leafs are shooting 8.8% vs league average of 7.8 and receiving a slightly above average .930 vs .922 goaltending. All situations is slightly above as well with .909 vs .904. Contrast to Winnipeg also 11% all situation shooting % with a 5v5 of 8.2%. .928 5v5 sv% so far along with a .910 in all situations. So both teams could regress. I trust WPGs goaltending a whole hell of a lot more than Toronto's. It's actually pretty crazy how close statistically these two teams are. The underlyings in terms of shots and chances all point towards Toronto being a better team with positives in all the categories vs WPG having like a 45% xG but overperforming that by about 4% which is mostly down to having an inordinate number of high danger saves and conversion rate. Fortunately both teams play each other a few more times this season so I'll have to remember to actually like watch them instead of regurgitating a bunch of random stats.

Possession stats are still accepted to be the important stats when it comes to winning and sustainability, and with respect to S% and Sv% those figures turn into real results based on possession and shot attempt differentials, so teams that look identical by those but with different possession metrics should expect very different results. Winnipeg has shooting talent to match and a significant goaltending advantage as you mentioned in terms of trust and raw numbers, but yeah the rest is just... stats for stats

glynnenstein posted:

Toronto also benefited from an unsustainably high PDO for a while there.

Absolutely, but I don't think I need to explain that 102 regressing towards 100 is different from taking a snapshot of a team that just lost 6 of 7 playing at 94.5 and saying 'look how close these standings are now.' Any stats person will tell you that regression does not actually mean having a corresponding low swing after you have a high swing.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pierre Mcguire account spotted

How loving dare you. Mods?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Cant cheer for Jujhar since he got mushed by whatever Flame that was and got turned in to a bird brain

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I completely forgot Pierre was removed from the broadcasts.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That Toronto regressed to 102 in their current tailspin suggests there could still be room to fall. Or they blank Ottawa while scoring 6 on 27 shots and shoot back to the moon. Of the insanely flawed Canadian teams it's really hard to pick one 'cause well someone has to win right? Do you trust Toronto to actually get league average or above with their current setup? Does Helly finally breakdown? Can Montreal figure out special teams? Will Mike loving Smith keep putting up .922 wtf Edmonton? The whole div is a mess of who knows! And with the trade deadline coming up and any players from the US aren't going to be available for a while.... :shrug: if Calgary goes into blow it up mode though they might have some pieces to put a team over the top.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MoaM posted:

He wasn't removed. NBC bumped him to the B team, basically swapped him with Brian Boucher.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MoaM posted:

He wasn't. He's on the NBCSN 'B' team and seems like he's allowed to ramble more than ever. Last night he compared a pass/play to escargot.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Th' gently caress...lol

So does that mean he's in the intermission segments?

e: I've managed to purely avoid him on NBC games, I guess

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I can't wait for my dogshit garbage hockey team to play again tonight!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MoaM posted:

Th' gently caress...lol

So does that mean he's in the intermission segments?

e: I've managed to purely avoid him on NBC games, I guess

No, he's still a between the glass color commentator, but he isn't going to the top games.

Y'know how CBS sends Jim Nantz and Tony Romo to the best NFL game they have each week, and a couple guys you've never heard of to the Cleveland Browns game, or how Fox sends Buck/Aikman to their top game and a couple nobodies get the privilege of calling the Detroit Lions? Same thing.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Right, OK. That makes sense, thanks.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Unfortunately they've already done this before and are probably doing it just for taxi squad/cap purposes rather than banishing him from the team and first line forever

But maybe this time is different??? :pray:

E: the first reply to that tweet was a picture of one of those moments I mentioned earlier

https://twitter.com/jg12453/status/1374396184438050819?s=21

Look at how open he is when Barzal feeds him and how great of an opportunity it would be, too bad he's already started heading to the bench 20 seconds in to his shift and kicks this pass in to the neutral zone for an odd man rush against instead!

Iodised QQ fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 23, 2021

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To hopefully offset some of that flames first win puck shittiness some jets did a dece thing when Horvat was struggling to get to the bench:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jets-players-help-injured-canucks-horvat

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

He wasn't. He's on the NBCSN 'B' team and seems like he's allowed to ramble more than ever. Last night he compared a pass/play to escargot.

He's the worst fanboy on TV.

I yell at players, officials, and Pierre McGuire. Comparing any poster to him is just a low blow.

Saying that, MAF is not the greatest goalie ever, but he's still pretty good. He was putting up some really decent numbers this season again a few weeks ago when I looked, so it wouldn't surprise me if he made the HoF. I have heard many opposing broadcasters say it, and with his body of work it sort of makes sense. First ticket only because of the Penguins though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

To hopefully offset some of that flames first win puck shittiness some jets did a dece thing when Horvat was struggling to get to the bench:
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jets-players-help-injured-canucks-horvat

The Canucks top healthy centres are Adam Gaudette and Travis Boyd. Anyways, this was one of Friedman's 30 Thoughts today:

quote:

The math is not good for the Canucks, but they want to compete for as long as they can before a possible deadline sell-off. They’ve taken calls on their unrestricted defenders: Jordie Benn (five-team no-trade), Alexander Edler (no-move clause) and Travis Hamonic (no-move clause). There’s also Tanner Pearson (injured) and Sutter (we’ll see), along with continuing discussions about Jake Virtanen. A lot of moving pieces. The Canucks wanted to see where their surge took them, but aren’t ruling out anything

Being a Canucks fan sucks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

I don't know...how much credit do you give the Buffalo front office? Eichel is right there. I find it extremely hard seeing Buffalo getting equal let alone greater value from him. For this upcoming offseason the Rangers are actually in a pretty good spot cap wise as well. 9 million in buyout money becomes available and presumably the bonus cushion penalty disappears. So that's another chunk of change that also becomes available. I honestly don't think Jost is a 2C either. So if you think the Rangers can pull a Jack Roslovic with him (and whether you buy Jack is a 2C as well) I guess that's an option. One Ryan Nugent-Hopkins becomes available this offseason. That would be an upgrade no? There is also the sneaky good Phillip Danault in UFA this offseason if you wanted to try and roll basically 3 - 2Cs down the middle which could be very effective. In 2022-2023 UFA you have targets such as Barkov and Courturier coming available. Who even knows what Philly could do moving forward. So that might be an opportunity as well.

I don't know if Jost is a 2C, but the trade makes some sense on paper, and the Rangers will have the 2C spot open next to Panarin.

I wouldn't expect either of the Rangers top 2 centers to go to Buffalo in an Eichel trade, because of age. Trading Eichel happens because he's bound to force his way out if the team doesn't have an expectation to compete in the next five years that he's signed for. The return there would have to be multiple picks, multiple blue-chip prospects, and multiple young roster players with upside, so the team could build around Dahlin (age 20) and not just downgrade at center because their franchise player wants out.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I think longevity counts for a lot with goalies. Fleury sits at #11 in games played, with only three players above him that aren't in the HHOF. He's only 13 games behind Vanbiesbrouk. Luongo is a shoe-in, and Cujo could get in in a weak year.

Edit: Forgot Lundqvist somehow. I could definitely see him make it too.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 23, 2021

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Folks here (and online in general) tend to be a bit hard on Fleury due to Penguins hate and memorable gaffes, and his percentages aren't the best, though still good. There's some other impressive stats, though, like that season with 10 shutouts, 65 regular season shutouts, and 15 playoff shutouts. His resurgence in Vegas has been a huge part of it, too - a lot of players who didn't have the highest peaks earned their fame by longevity, which requires reinventing yourself once or twice. He definitely did that with his play in Pittsburgh, and his personality as the beloved veteran who went to Vegas to lead the team.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374472606867365896
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374472819740876806

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Dr Zaius posted:

same except falling on his face coming out for game 1 of the '08 cup finals

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1374481268893609989

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Should probably just cancel their season to be safe.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374484801437134854

e: https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374489191296364545
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1374489647422709770

Kilza fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 23, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing the whole thing of teams only being able to play from the same pool again in the playoffs is due to Canada, and now this. I'm starting to see what the Blame Canada song is all about.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
After everything up to this point it's the first postponement in Canada that's going to push the season back? Sure, whatever, enjoy your schedule Dallas.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm guessing the whole thing of teams only being able to play from the same pool again in the playoffs is due to Canada, and now this. I'm starting to see what the Blame Canada song is all about.

If the Anaheim v Minnesota game tomorrow is PP'd because of the 4 players on the Anaheim covid list then who knows? The only time before the end of the schedule Minnesota even has 2 days off in a row is this week. At least they play Anaheim again to close out the calendar on May 8 so there's 2 days of wiggle room. But if this shuts them down for any games they won't be able to fit them in. They're playing 4 games a week from next week out.

I don't care which team they're playing on, these guys have some super human recovery work going on physically this year.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1374497046619586568

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
MAF is the best... Hth

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

Jordan Binnington is Andrew Hammond except he won a cup.

But he doesn’t get a lifetime of McDonalds Hamburgers 😔

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

But he doesn’t get a lifetime of McDonalds Hamburgers 😔

*there was a story about that actually being like twenty coupons for free burgers

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Frankly 20 McDonalds hamburgers is a lifetime supply. Any more than that and your arteries turn to stone.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Levitate posted:

Zibanejad is an extremely good player and good enough to be a 1C on a cup team if that team is, ya know, actually good. He's not a super star level guy but he's that "weird" level of player that occasionally plays at a legit franchise super star level but isn't consistent enough at it to be that player all the time. That's ok, that means he's not a top 5 player in the league, there's not that many of those! But looking at his shooting percentage and writing him off is insane if you actually watch him play more than a handful of games. Panarin is the better player (possibly the best player in the league behind McDavid when it comes to creating offense) but Zibanejad playing like he can play is arguably the more important player for everything else he does for the team.

I honestly have no doubt he'll continue to produce at an elite pace for a bunch more years before dropping to a more "good" pace but it is definitely a big question of what you want to pay for that and whether you trust him to stay healthy one way or another

Speaking of extremely good players Adam Fox is an extremely good player and should get Norris votes but won't

If Fox is a Norris contender, Panarin is the best non-McDavid scorer in the league and Zbad is a 1C, why aren't the Rangers like... already winning?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Arivia posted:

*there was a story about that actually being like twenty coupons for free burgers

I had to Google this to see if it was true, and sadly, it was

quote:

Fast forward to this past Tuesday, and Hammond’s free burgers for life actually adds up to $1,000 in coupons, Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun reports.

Even though it was McDonald's offering this, I'll still blame Melnyk's cheap rear end for it not being a lifetime supply :colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Spelling Mitsake posted:

After everything up to this point it's the first postponement in Canada that's going to push the season back? Sure, whatever, enjoy your schedule Dallas.

Lol, team is a mess anyway, so might as let the kids play some chaos hockey! Every day of the week! They're, uh, not going to win many more games. Probably got less than a dozen wins left.

At least they won't waste assets but Nill doesn't do trades anymore anyway, so that was never a real concern.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Barkov's day-to-day with a lower-body injury. Looks like the Panthers are only going to get the 3rd seed at best.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

If Fox is a Norris contender, Panarin is the best non-McDavid scorer in the league and Zbad is a 1C, why aren't the Rangers like... already winning?

Because a good percentage of the roster is loving awful and their two biggest prospects are still figuring it out. Edmonton has proved having 3 fabulous players isn't enough.

Doesn't help their 2nd most talented defender dipshitted his way out of the league.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Chad Sexington posted: