Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
Zelda Classic is a 20 year old Zelda Maker. It excels at making Zelda 1-styled Zelda games, but it can also make LttP, LA, and even non-Zelda stuff. It's janky at times and will often fight you at high-end usage, but one of the big selling points is that it's easy to use and you can just open it up and start making that really cool dungeon you had an idea for.

Also there's a fuckton of fangames that exist for this and some of them are really good gems, while others are bad but you could still enjoy them under certain mindsets.

You can find the program here:
https://www.zeldaclassic.com/

PureZC, the forum where ZC discussion has been most active since 2002, up until Discord became popular.
Also the location of the database, I'm not kidding there's been over 700 fangames (quests) submitted jesus christ.
https://www.purezc.net/

Discuss quests you've been playing here, or talk about what you've been doing in the editor! I'll probably edit this post with stuff as (if) this thread becomes more active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
Are there any sex-themed Zelda games?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Crossposting from the terrible quest playthrough-

Zelda Classic was one of the first internet communities I ever invested any time in at all, and recently I went and downloaded the latest version and found it seems to still be quite similar to what I remember in most ways. Put a few hours into trying to relearn enough things to start on a quick dumb quest that makes the original Classic Quest's dungeons into a connected overworld and the overworld into discrete dungeons for funsies, but I'm definitely realizing most of the stuff I'd made in ZC must've eaten up huge amounts of free time I no longer readily have. Still, I'm poking at it a bit here and there and planning things out. Any files I'd once made are a good 3+ computers gone, aside from some potential ZIPs on likely-dead drives that I can't be bothered to even attempt pulling out, and likely had massive issues in terms of design or compatibility or such anyway.

Kind of curious about any recommendations for quests with good design- there's no shortage of ones with impressive feats or detailed art or such, but ones with thought and effort put into the game itself would be nice.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

ElegantFugue posted:

Kind of curious about any recommendations for quests with good design- there's no shortage of ones with impressive feats or detailed art or such, but ones with thought and effort put into the game itself would be nice.

It's hard to go wrong with most of the first few pages of "Greatest Hits" in the quest database. Some of the ones I enjoyed the most were Link's Quest for the Hookshot 1 and 2, The Forbidden City, The Legend of Lana DX, and probably my #1 ZC quest, Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oyak posted:

You joke but Mario's Insane Rampage has been a thing for almost two decades now :v:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

ElegantFugue posted:

Isle of Rebirth, by Evan20000, is a really good quest; It's a long quest and a bit on the more difficult side but it does have difficulty options (though accessing easy and very easy are weird; I think Evan wanted you to give Normal a try and see if it's for you before downgrading; so you need to die like 10 times to downgrade your difficulty). A lot of effort went into balancing it, and it's a very fun playthrough from start to end. Umbral Cloud, also by Evan20000, is also a good pick. It's a shorter quest, and the difficulty options can be switched at any point. It's a metroidvania, but that's more of the glue that connects it's real strength together: Boss Battles. It has a lot of boss battles and all of them are really cool, balanced, and feel pretty epic.

Any of Moosh's quests are a good pick; the madlad has some way of just feeling out what feels fun to play and what doesn't. I LP'd Banana Blood God, his collab with Russ, but I also recommend Link's Quest for the Hookshot 2. Basically anything that isn't Fedora Toss; though some of you might enjoy that. There's a lot of stuff he has that isn't on the database, because they originated as a 2 week quest contest (yes those are a thing) and he hasn't gotten around to polishing them up yet, but I recommend both Freedom in Chains (An excellent and short sideview metroidvania) and Hollow Forest (a sideview horror game).

The Adventures of Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia by Mitsukara is, well, excellent. There's been a few people here who've played it, and I think they all agree with that assessment. There's a lot of 90's nostalgia and NES-styled goofiness packed into the quest, and it's been described as "what I'd have wanted if they made a 3rd Zelda game on the NES". It's really freaking good, and it's also really accessible with a bunch of options; though some of the puzzles might stump you!

The Glory Squad is another one of my big favorites. It's hella charming. Do you like the goofy plot of Pokemon games and the evil teams in those? Because this is basically a Zelda Game with a Pokemon Plot where the focus is on the Evil Team. It's fantastic and creative.

Russ is also a really good content creator. Depths of Malice is a fantastic Z1 Nth quest given a ton of modernity and has an excellent story to boot. It also comes with a randomizer. There is also Forbidden Ascent, which is another sideview quest that is also really good.

Lastly, I can't really bring up ZC quests without bringing up Aevin's stuff. His stuff basically has it's own subcommunity within the community because of his own universe that he made with his Yuurei trilogy. Hitodama, Yuurei and
Reikon are all excellent. In addition, there is Yuurand, a randomizer collaboration between him and Russ, and the quest that holds the title of both the biggest quest, the quest with most replayability, and the highest rated quest on the database, as well as being the quest that broke the camel's back and made them outright make their own subcommunity for Yuurand. It's really addicting and the characters are fantastic.

There's plenty of other good quests as well; these are just my honorable mentions.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I played Isle of Rebirth a while back, it is extremely good. I also made a quest when I was like 14 that I will not be sharing lol

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So fun fact, I was a developer on this project many moons ago, waaaay back in the post 2.10 era (from about 2005-2010 give or take? Hard to remember). I can elaborate on this if any of you wish but I only point this out to give some context to any posts I make in here, and in fact I haven't done any significant work on this project for a very long time. It's certainly in more capable hands now, and the current project lead ZoriaRPG has done some tremendous work in attempting to modernize the engine to some degree (especially in the backend) while maintaining the feel it's always had.

Anywho, a couple recommendations for older quests from back when Zelda Classic was still actually a Zelda game maker and not a semi-generic scripting engine using a 2D Zelda game as its engine base. :v:

The Hero of Dreams - Considered the quintessential 2.10 quest, this is straight GB/Zelda 1 gameplay distilled into its purest essence. I can't remember if this ended up being Shoelace's only completed quest but he needed only one try to hit it out of the park

The Hidden Duality: Director's Cut - DarkFlameWolf is an interesting quest maker, and she is well-known for the tons of quests she developed in the old 1.92 days stretching to the post-2.10 period, pumping them out like a machine and all of them varying from decent to excellent. Definitely one of the more talented quest makers in ZC's history, and this one in particular is my favorite from those older days.

MegaMan: Dr.Wily's Revenge - Director's Cut - It's a Mega Man-themed Zelda game. This one is rather famous in the community as well, fusing graphical elements from Mega Man and Zelda into an interesting style, utilizing 2D side-scrolling sections before that was even a thing the engine could do, and putting the player, at least initially, in a large sprawling city that can be explored for items, lore, and other goodies. The story is junk and it shows its age in many ways but it's a fun Zelda game with some twists. Peteo did a good job with this.

Dreams of Yesterday - By C-Dawg. Technically not an "older quest" anymore but I'll mention it here anyway. Not gonna mince words here, this is my favorite quest of all time still and the revamped version only makes the experience better. I say revamped because... well, this quest has a history. I could go into an entire post tangent of its own about the history of this quest past its initial release. To simplify as best as I can, the quest was made in an obscure beta version of 1.92 that only existed for a short time and whose quests were entirely incompatible with the later versions people actually used. It was buggy as all hell and not even completable without cheats, and that's only partially C-Dawg's fault. When I became a developer I "updated" the quest to (mostly) work on later versions and attempt to retool it to fix its bugs and make it completable, and kinda succeeded. Time passes, eventually the thread linked here happens and from 2013 to current day the quest has been updated, revamped, rebalanced, and overhauled for the most recent versions of ZC. This is definitely the best version of the game to play, but it's not a complete reflection of the original experience.

This hack was ambitious. It had a bevy of novel features and its design philosophy pushed the the ZC engine at the time to its limits. It took obscure combinations of features to create scenarios and puzzles that were far beyond what could be expected from any typical ZC quest at the time. It was also brutally hard, and relentlessly so. Not impossible or even unreasonable (at least not until the last dungeon...) but it was not designed to hold your hand. Puzzles got fiendishly clever and complex, dungeons were designed as sprawling labyrinths interconnected in increasingly confusing ways, and difficult enemy formations were quite liberal. I could go on but I've already devoted way more words to this specific quest than any of the others, so if you're interested just play it for yourself. Or perhaps don't, since you need a rather... specific mindset to endure its difficulties, even with the revamped version.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've played ZC quests on and off since at least 2008, so it's neat to see a thread to discuss them. Instead of talking about my favorites though, I'm curious if anyone can help me locate or identify an old one I played *many* years back, one that doesn't appear to be on purezc at all.

It was a Metroid themed quest that I played around 2008 or earlier, but unlike most of the quests on purezc it was a top-down perspective like any normal zelda quest. I think it ran on 192b3 or earlier. I do not remember the subtitle for it or anything, but I remember it had like a jungle world and a space pirate base, and probably more. A ton of zelda items were redrawn into metroid items, you could basically always fire "sword beams" at any given time, and sword upgrades were beam upgrades. Even morph ball existed, in what I think was probably a raft trigger or something similar. I also remember the quest being really linear, and requiring you to backtrack probably way more than it should have, and because it was so linear it basically meant a straight line between all areas. I dunno if I'd call it an amazing quest to play because of its linearity but that's not really the point here. I haven't been able to find it for years now and that fact's been bugging me for a while, so I'm curious if anyone else recognizes this quest from my descriptions. I'm pretty sure I got it from the maker's own website, which could easily mean it's forever lost if their site no longer exists, but I'd love to get some closure on this.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

FPzero posted:

I've played ZC quests on and off since at least 2008, so it's neat to see a thread to discuss them. Instead of talking about my favorites though, I'm curious if anyone can help me locate or identify an old one I played *many* years back, one that doesn't appear to be on purezc at all.

It was a Metroid themed quest that I played around 2008 or earlier, but unlike most of the quests on purezc it was a top-down perspective like any normal zelda quest. I think it ran on 192b3 or earlier. I do not remember the subtitle for it or anything, but I remember it had like a jungle world and a space pirate base, and probably more. A ton of zelda items were redrawn into metroid items, you could basically always fire "sword beams" at any given time, and sword upgrades were beam upgrades. Even morph ball existed, in what I think was probably a raft trigger or something similar. I also remember the quest being really linear, and requiring you to backtrack probably way more than it should have, and because it was so linear it basically meant a straight line between all areas. I dunno if I'd call it an amazing quest to play because of its linearity but that's not really the point here. I haven't been able to find it for years now and that fact's been bugging me for a while, so I'm curious if anyone else recognizes this quest from my descriptions. I'm pretty sure I got it from the maker's own website, which could easily mean it's forever lost if their site no longer exists, but I'd love to get some closure on this.

I'm 99% positive you're talking about one of Exate's quests. He made a bunch of them, including several Metroid-themed ones exactly as you describe them. I didn't play a whole lot of his stuff but I remember enjoying what I did play. None of them were ever put in the database as I recall, but he has a site with all his quests here that still works, shockingly enough.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Those might be what I'm looking for! The names sound familiar. I'll have to investigate them later. Thanks a ton!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Oyak posted:

i may or may not be gathering screenshots for a mini LP for this thread. this game isn't uploaded anywhere but on some angelfire site that's somehow still functional

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Ran through The Depths of Malice, that was a lot of fun. Only had a few issues- there's one dungeon I couldn't find because the entrance blends into the background and violates rules I thought I remembered about ZC, the puzzles on the last two floors of The Tower are a pain (especially the final one, it's impressive getting those two mechanics to work together but the sliding Armos just straight up trigger weirdly), and ugh anything to do with Swarms/Fish Orbs- but overall it was fantastic.

Thank you for the recommendations! I've made an account on the PureZC forums and joined their Discord, gonna at least play some more quests even if I don't end up making any myself.

EDIT: Welp, figured I'd try the Yuurei series next and oh my god what is this constant chiming noise while attacking in Hitodama, it's like the low heart beep but worse. And there's no way to know if blocks are solid or walk-through or breakable aside from just running your face into them while shooting beep-lasers, argh. Maybe let's try another one.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 4, 2021

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

ElegantFugue posted:

EDIT: Welp, figured I'd try the Yuurei series next and oh my god what is this constant chiming noise while attacking in Hitodama, it's like the low heart beep but worse. And there's no way to know if blocks are solid or walk-through or breakable aside from just running your face into them while shooting beep-lasers, argh. Maybe let's try another one.

I thought they fixed that with Hitodama DX to make it only play every so often when holding it... Unless that's still too frequent. Does your inventory have a rectangular box surrounding the items? If so, it's DX. Hitodama a lot of people find to be the worst, though I have a huge soft spot for it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
This is a quest called Link's Bad Hair Day 3. There are other entries in this series but it does not matter. The angelfire site that hosts the quest file still exists and it's everything you could possibly want. I'm not linking to it.

I found this quest when I was about eleven or twelve. As the name suggests, this and the previous two titles were released right in the wake of Conker's Bad Fur Day and attempts to be similarly crass but honestly goes quite a bit further with its immaturity. Here's a little blurb about the game courtesy from the hallowed realms of angelfire

"Thats right the 3rd LBHD quest is on its way. This one is even more ofensive then the first. The story is: Once Link returned to his human form after defeating the curse on Hyrule, Link was transpoted to another parallel dimension. You see theres more to the legend of the Triforce: When the 3 Godesess created the world they left behind 2 Triforces! The first one is the one that grants wishes to kind hearted people. The 2nd one was left in the parallel dimensions. If it beocame broken the parallel dimensions would beocome out of line. The people in them would beocome curupt. When Link acidentaly warped to Malonia he broke the 2nd Triforce apart. He restored the Triforce of Anger but there were still 2 more: The Triforce of Insanity and an unkown Triforce. The land Link is in now contains the Trifroce of Insanity. Unforutantly It was shattered into 8 pieces and each piece hidden in a Temple. Link must put it back together to restore peace to the unkown world he is in. Can he do it? Its all up to you in the most Insane Zelda Classic Quest EVER! "

I'm not sure what the policy on pixel naughty teehee parts is so I'll just the whole quest under a spoiler.

We begin in the top-rightmost part of the map. So far nothing out of the ordinary. We're completely defenseless. Let's head inside mr. tree face there and see if we can fix that.

...Ah.

Aha.

does a rubber dongus have the same thrusting power as a sword? This is a bad question. Let's go south.

These cheeky old men have written a message with some gravel. Old men are responsible for the extinction of the beloved octorok and have taken up their role in the ecosystem as penance. Our god is a just god.

I kill the old men with a dick and head to the west.

I rid the area of the elderly and notice the path northward is blocked by a bush. The landscaper is very cheeky.

Well let's head southward from the rear end screen.

let's head groundstairs.

I present to you the best character in gaming. Hell yea man.

We are now in possession of one of the world's leading boredom fixers: cannabis that shoots fire. This joint is the blue candle. Blue Candle sounds like a strain. Heh heh.

I head back to that secluded brown bush to smoke my bounty all hush-hush like and the bush decides to go chill elsewhere I guess.

' . '
ŻŻŻ
*puff-puff*

' '
ŻŻŻ
let's go groundstairs.

I present to you the best character in gaming. Hell yea man

We are now in possession of one of the world's leading boredom fixers: explosives.

Westward ho

Tektikes remain unchanged. In fact, most monsters remain unchanged, which is a shame. I'd so love it this game boasted its very own unique bestiary, even if they would all just be a penis or something penis-adjacent.

Anyway, this is where the quest ends. There is no way forward.

Wow you fell for my joke. No, you see, you can bomb the part of the mountainside that's a different color and framed with shrubbery. You need to have a sharp eye and an even sharper mind to survive in the world of video games.

We enter what is called the mountain path. Normally locations have colorful names in this world but this is just mountain path and not like gushing granny grotto or w/e.

I personally think it would be cool to walk into a tunnel carved into the stone and then it's all like lined with teal tiling and brickwork. Blue Candle makes me mind wander and I am lose a few minutes imagining all of this.

oops i forgot to take a screenshot of the stalfos that was in this room. It dropped a key. This is to introduce gamers to the concept of keys and locked doors, which was new technology at the time.

we were just introduced to keys and now we're introduced to keese and my mind is now blown how like, a slight change in phonemes can make like, different words, man. Language, much like Blue Candle, is beautiful.

We've made it out of the dank turquoise tunnel and find our hero outside. Bright orb in sky... burns eyes...

Let's walk down.

And head groundstairs.

So. Twelve year old me thought this was extremely funny. My fifteen year old brother thought it was even funnier. This actually became an inside joke with a few of my friends for a long time as well. It just stuck with me.

But what does it mean.

HMM.

Let me know if this is something you guys want to see more of. It's not a long quest at all.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

DimiPZC posted:

I thought they fixed that with Hitodama DX to make it only play every so often when holding it... Unless that's still too frequent. Does your inventory have a rectangular box surrounding the items? If so, it's DX. Hitodama a lot of people find to be the worst, though I have a huge soft spot for it.

It was the DX version, yeah. I can imagine it playing even faster, but it's already an annoying noise to start with, so having it loop constantly while firing is just... ugh. Beyond that, the issue with the blocks was a bigger problem.

I've tried a few more quests, and the next one that I found myself sticking with has been Panalolnaply of Calatia, which seems extremely excellent. Still early in that one, but what I've seen is clever and inventive and not peppered with "find the unmarked tile trigger to advance" guessing games or "Darknuts make good enemies for Level 1" combat rooms or "everyone loves in-jokes" humor.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

This is a quest called Link's Bad Hair Day 3. There are other entries in this series but it does not matter. The angelfire site that hosts the quest file still exists and it's everything you could possibly want. I'm not linking to it.

I am impressed by the hastily-drawn pubes on the mountain there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm cracking up, smack your penis on testicle rock already!!!

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Please continue this is excellent :allears:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Khanstant posted:

I'm cracking up, smack your penis on testicle rock already!!!

such language! do you post to your mother like that?

DimiPZC posted:

Please continue this is excellent :allears:

you asked for it.

Link's Bad Hair Day 3: Chapter 2

"Previously, Ash and our heroes traveled through Mt. Path and found the magnificent Testical[sic] Rock. Will he be able to earn the Hog Badge? Tune in and find out!"

But instead of smacking anything on no rock, let's go south. Did I ever mention the background music is a linkin park midi? lmao.

Moblins and testikes. I mean tektikes. Ho hum

I messed up here and didn't get screen shots for the two screens to the West. First screen westward has some bad dudes and another set of ground-stairs. And there we find:

Hell yeah blue ring at the start of the game! I need this because I am very impatient and very bad at videogames. If brute force is ever an option then that's just what I'll do. Also rear end Cavern.

rear end Cavern is located to the west and is just a generic dungeon facade, there's nothing particular assy or cavernous about it. Sorry for no screenies. : (

So we head back to the screen directly south of ol' Stoney Johnson and keep to the southern path.

A wood house!

:ok:

skeletons know how to hawk goods and I swiftly buy everything, leaving the shop each time and re-entering to make another purchase. Commerce is complicated.

Eastward!

a lovely topiary garden!

a three screen large topiary garden. I'll praise its dedication to precise geometry and adherence to a grid-like structure. Very formal; the landscaper must be from the classic French school of horticultural design.

That building right there is what rear end Cavern looks like! This is not rear end Cavern, however. I forget what this is. I don't have a raft and nor have I wings to fly. I walk downways.

Dead end for now.

I guess there's no avoiding it.

It's you.

*smack* *smack* *smack*

*smack* *sm- oh! I bust the nut!

The first level. So the dungeons in this game are thankfully very short and very linear. They all use the exact same puzzles as we'll soon see.

Kill the keese and get the keys

i kill the skeletons and they touch me in retaliation. The way forward opens thus.

this is the bread and butter of this game. Block mazes flanked by flying spike traps. We will be seeing this idea used a lot. My patience for even attempting to dodge them wears thin very quick.

i get touched by the spikes : (

but I unlocked the door and come upon a duo of Zol.

They inform me that they are with Amway and they'd love it if I were to buy some overpriced goods so they can earn a pittance.

I kill them after informing them that they have been scammed.

Ew monsters.

Mm keys

Block-Maze-Flanked-With-Flying-Spikes or BMFWFS or Billy Maddison's Father Was Fre*king Stupid. This game feels like Adam Sandler.

I grab the upgraded shield and get smacked around a lot...

the stakes are high! half a heart! Aquamentus!

I won!

It's you.

----

And it's time head through rear end Cavern.

rear end Cavern.

BMFWFS with Key

I suffer lots of damage due to my impatience.

Skeletons!

Keese!

and we emerge out a tree. Nothing to do with butts.

More stairs in the ground. Imagine how trippy that would be. Just seeing stairs in the ground everywhere in the dirt outside.

What a cryptic message! I have no idea what it could possibly mean!

Ah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh lord, i feel sorry for whoever made this. they clearly know what a dick looks like but they seem awful confused on vagina.

Ive also not played this game through, I didn't realize the dungeons were all so braindead haha.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
:allears:

God, it's so loving stupid; I love it,

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Link's Bad Hair Day 3: Chapter 3

Okay... I can do this...

weh

Huh, are these things normally tiled on the inside?

Notice the map sitting right there.

The shape of this dungeon is a fitting feminine cursive f, like the sound holes of a violin.

BMFWFS w/ key. Guys there's a lot of these okay.

a compass in case we get lost in the linear dungeon.

Oh how do we open the door? : (

via very basic block puzzle. Guys there's a lot of these okay.

Tektikes. Blocks.

Gohma, Gohma,
ruddy-red chroma
eye open'd narrow
hit by an arrow
no more glaucoma.

this again

and this is whats past the locked door. a raft.

i die by a spike

back at the cross road but this time I walk up.

this block had to be moved

block puzzle room with flying spikes and tektikes

mmhmm

aha

did I not screen the boss? oh no I forget who it was. I think it was dodongo and I had just enough bombs.

a smileyman embedded in a yonic design and a piece of the triforce. : )

ok time to get out of here

i back tracked all the way back to the place where the water was. turns out this building is the third dungeon. it's not an anus which surprises us all surely.

we can cross this now.

it leads to this face-house.

That would be so cold. :worry:

*smack smack smack*

over here is a desert area that's a few screens.

a graveyard and a staircase. Whatever's down there surely isn't cursed

NO NO NO NO NO NO

NO DONT TOUCH THAT NO PUT IT IN THE GARBAGE
im turning this off

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What... what item is that supposed to be? :stonk:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

it's the magic wand. it shoots blood. D:

it's a huge problem

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
This doesn't even manage to be offensive (yet). It might literally be the shallowest thing I've ever seen. Just "Heehee, you said 'penis'" stretched into an hours-long game.
Thanks for wading through this :)

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

It's offensive in that middle school, fresh off sex ed class kind of way.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
wha- whaaaaaat!?

This is incredible :allears:

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

To contrast with the quest above, I finished Panopaparopaly of Calatia last night after trying it out based on the recommendations here and hoooooly poo poo it's amazing:
https://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=618

There's just so much game here and none of it feels like padding. It's constantly throwing new tools and options and areas and puzzles at you, while still staying entirely 'fair.' No pixel-hunting or guess-the-trigger-type, everything is either logically solvable or hinted at in ways that feel like they'd be from an official game. There's just so much charm and polish here, it's nuts. There's even an official NES-style instruction manual with full color illustrations and slightly-off translations in the support pack.

There's even some ridiculous alternate modes I haven't touched at all, like a Mario and Luigi mode or an open world mode (in a game where you're already always spoiled for options on where to go next).

Extremely strong recommend, absolutely fantastic.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I haven't played ZC in a while. Is there ZConsole (or an equivalent) for the newest versions of Zelda Classic? I would like to be able to force-enable cheats because I am old and I do not have the time I had as a youth to get good at video games.

E: also, is there any particular config I need to set a SN30 Pro+ to to make it Zelda Classic compatible?

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 24, 2021

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

ElegantFugue posted:

To contrast with the quest above, I finished Panopaparopaly of Calatia last night after trying it out based on the recommendations here and hoooooly poo poo it's amazing:
https://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=quests&id=618

There's just so much game here and none of it feels like padding. It's constantly throwing new tools and options and areas and puzzles at you, while still staying entirely 'fair.' No pixel-hunting or guess-the-trigger-type, everything is either logically solvable or hinted at in ways that feel like they'd be from an official game. There's just so much charm and polish here, it's nuts. There's even an official NES-style instruction manual with full color illustrations and slightly-off translations in the support pack.

There's even some ridiculous alternate modes I haven't touched at all, like a Mario and Luigi mode or an open world mode (in a game where you're already always spoiled for options on where to go next).

Extremely strong recommend, absolutely fantastic.

Honestly, it was playing that quest that got me to start paying attention to ZC again after so much time away.

What people have done with the scripting engine is far and beyond the effort I would have dreamed of anyone putting forth back when I helped implement it.

It's quite an excellent game to play.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

ZZT the Fifth posted:

E: also, is there any particular config I need to set a SN30 Pro+ to to make it Zelda Classic compatible?
I spent ages on this and couldn't get it to work the way I wanted. I ended up having to pull out Joy2Key again for the first time in years and mapping my gamepad buttons to keyboard keys, while turning off every ZC gamepad button mapping.
I remember the biggest issue being the directional pad? I couldn't get it to be aware that existed, it always tried to read the left joystick or nothing at all.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Panoply of Calatia is extremely good. The lady who made that should be in charge of 2D Zelda projects from Nintendo.

Links Bad Hair Day is not good. But somehow less offensive gameplay wise than other quests I've played. It's just very linear and formulaic, to the point where I don't think I'm just going to abridge the dungeons and some other stuff in my posts from here on out.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Links Bad Hair Day is not good.

Please do finish this though your LP is great :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Lol unfortunately all the dungeons look very much the same. So now i'm like choosing which screenshots to make larger and upload and then I keep getting sidetracked.