Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm probably eventually gonna get high and watch it over zoom with some friends together but yea for me I'm just not hype to spend that much time on a version that turns a dogshit movie into an average movie with a couple cool moments.

It's okay to like a movie, though, and I can't argue that the Snyder cut is probably better than what we got just on virtue of 'any cut that's a single cohesive director's vision is likely better than that weird cobbled together abortion we got first'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like I can tell you how bad the Wonder Woman music cue is but you really have to experience that poo poo to fully understand.

This part is, at least, pretty well described in the Pitch Meeting video above.

sexpig by night posted:

I'm probably eventually gonna get high and watch it over zoom with some friends together but yea for me I'm just not hype to spend that much time on a version that turns a dogshit movie into an average movie with a couple cool moments.

It's okay to like a movie, though, and I can't argue that the Snyder cut is probably better than what we got just on virtue of 'any cut that's a single cohesive director's vision is likely better than that weird cobbled together abortion we got first'.

Especially considering that cobbled together mess was cobbled together by noted asshat Joss Whedon.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
First of the Snyder sessions is released!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aw dangit it's on the Walsh tier. I should just upgrade already :sigh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

explosivo posted:

Aw dangit it's on the Walsh tier. I should just upgrade already :sigh:

You really should. Even if only for MELR0210, but also they have the Lifetime movie series coming, and all "special" episodes (side episodes not part of a specific series) moving forward will be on the Walsh tier.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

"Shoah, don't tell", oh Eric :allears:

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Through the extra 2 bucks at this as soon as I saw the Snyder Cut was at the next tier up. Shrewd move, assholes.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

They've said that anything else they will think up in the future will end up at that tier so I guess one can see it as a long-term investment?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am pretty psyched for the Vertical Limit episode, not sure if that or K2 is the best/worst mountaineering movie out there but oh boy it's a fun watch. When I was a dumb college student I did try to do the chris o donnell ice ax jump and knocked myself senseless around 80 feet up a frozen waterfall which was a fun time.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

so far so good on this JL ep. hitting my biggest issues with the movie so far and its funny as hell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't like Zack Snyder and Justice League is not a good movie and is quite bizarre--not in a subversive way, but in a way where the writing and visual storytelling is not always competent. But there's actual good parts, it's pretty engaging enough, and definitely an improvement.

I also think there is some seeing is believing elements to it that'll probably make their episodes more enjoyable. Like I can tell you how bad the Wonder Woman music cue is but you really have to experience that poo poo to fully understand.

This makes sense when you consider that Zack Snyder lives and breaths for THE SCENE. It's a long string of scenes with some exposition dumps in there.

Also slo-mo is his bread and butter.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

Haven't listened to the first Snyder session yet cause patreon won't let me upgrade but how far into it before Cabin days he likes Snyder cut more than MCU? Can't be more than 10 mins

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Wow, it's kind of amazing how this silly climbing movie has such a stellar cast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drint Blasters posted:

Haven't listened to the first Snyder session yet cause patreon won't let me upgrade but how far into it before Cabin days he likes Snyder cut more than MCU? Can't be more than 10 mins

I could be wrong, but I don't think he says anything like that at all.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

thrawn527 posted:

I could be wrong, but I don't think he says anything like that at all.

He doesn't, and I don't really understand why anyone would think he would.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Does this first episode they did cover the first third(ish) of the actual movie or are they kind of scattershot and jumping around to random topics? I'm eager to listen but I only watched two of the chapter divisions last night just because I'm not putting myself through it all in a four hour sitting. Otherwise I might just save their episodes until the weekend when I'm done.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cael posted:

Does this first episode they did cover the first third(ish) of the actual movie or are they kind of scattershot and jumping around to random topics? I'm eager to listen but I only watched two of the chapter divisions last night just because I'm not putting myself through it all in a four hour sitting. Otherwise I might just save their episodes until the weekend when I'm done.

It's generally the first third(ish) of the movie, but it is also some what scattershot. This wasn't a fully planned 3 part series on their part (as in, they didn't start by saying, "First we'll talk about parts 1 and 2..."). They recorded their full episode and then it just stops at some point, with a voice over from Steve saying, "And that will do it for this part, come back later for the next part...". So, just like any regular episode, they'll occasionally reference something later in the movie.

If that matters to you, you're probably better off waiting until you've watched the whole movie.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
All four of the hosts have actually rated the Snyder cut on letterboxd, so we have a semi-definitive ranking of who enjoyed it the most!

Eric gave it 1 star, Chris gave it 1.5, Steve gave it 2, Andrew gave it 2.5

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nikaer Drekin posted:

All four of the hosts have actually rated the Snyder cut on letterboxd, so we have a semi-definitive ranking of who enjoyed it the most!

Apparently it's not okay to like this movie :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Apparently it's not okay to like this movie :colbert:

Eh, Eric not liking the movie doesn't mean he thinks you can't like it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I do find their tastes in movies is all over the place but I just chock that up to being film nerds.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Invalid Validation posted:

I do find their tastes in movies is all over the place but I just chock that up to being film nerds.

Oh absolutely. What they occasionally find "fun trash" and "irredeemable trash" can be hard to keep track of, but that's probably true of me, too.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Means nothing until we calibrate for the distributions of their reviews :goonsay:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The guys have also really disliked Snyder for a while, Sucker Punch was one of their earliest 'Worst movies we've done' and that's carried through to most of the rest of his movies they put on the show. It doesn't shock me they aren't fans of the Snyder cut.

Like they all absolutely loathed Man of Steel and BvS. And 300.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 23, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is great but I'm not sure he had another good one in him after that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

what not a fan of Legends of Gahool?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

dorium posted:

what not a fan of Legends of Gahool?

That should be a stay tuned.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

GoutPatrol posted:

That should be a stay tuned.

That’s still the only Snyder movie I haven’t seen. Because, I mean...c’mon. Is it worth a watch, if you don’t inherently hate Snyder movies?

Thinking about it now, given how much he loves focusing on creating the perfect visual frame, a CGI animated movie might be the perfect medium for him.

poo poo, why haven’t I seen this? Is it streaming anywhere?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I legit saw it on a airplane, just like the 30 Rock joke

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/8a8ad111-1d6a-472d-9114-732499d145d2

Where it played all throughout the flight they were stuck on. Thankfully I only saw it the once. It wasnt like terrible but it wasn’t good. It’s one of those movies that’ll be a staple of someone’s childhood and they’ll say that in a public setting and everyone will look at them kinda weird.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
A lot of times the hot takes from the guys will be Extremely Twitter, anyway. I liked this when they weren't talking about being bullied online.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I went to IMDB and checked the trivia and Steve wasn’t kidding: it’s hilariously, obsessively crammed with Snyder worshipping.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead is great but I'm not sure he had another good one in him after that.

As someone who adores Watchmen the comic and really does not care for Zack Snyder's style, I honestly think his Watchmen movie is not nearly as bad as it could have been. The cast is great, and while I think the movie looks a bit too artificial/CG-heavy on the whole Snyder gets enough right that I don't have that big a problem with it.

Sucker Punch and 300 are both pure garbage, though, and the rest of his work I'm pretty indifferent on, all the DCEU stuff included (not counting Dawn of the Dead, which I haven't seen).

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Haven't seen the Whedon cut. Liked ZSJL though. Big heart to it. Strong showing from everyone. Visually looked great. Too long but paced out well overall.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DrVenkman posted:

Haven't seen the Whedon cut.

Don't. Like, unless you're really interested in an example of how editing can change a movie (which I am, it's fascinating), don't bother. It's a really bad piece of poo poo movie, and ZSJL is better in every way possible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don't really have a dog in this fight but I'd say that the theatrical cut is terrible and all over the place, both with pacing, acting and tone, but Suicide Squad is still IMO far worse.

Been quite a while since I saw either, tbf (I don't make a habit of watching bad movies) but I recall JL to be kind of just a mess, wheras other movies in the series (BvS, SS) almost caused me physical pain.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Justice League Theatrical is just a generally all around bad movie, but it's bad in relatively normal, mundane ways. Suicide Squad is bad in weird, pioneering and inventive ways: if nothing else it can be used in film schools to explain why the three act structure became the norm because if you don't you might get a movie with, for example, three first acts and half a second act.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Justice League Theatrical is just a generally all around bad movie, but it's bad in relatively normal, mundane ways. Suicide Squad is bad in weird, pioneering and inventive ways: if nothing else it can be used in film schools to explain why the three act structure became the norm because if you don't you might get a movie with, for example, three first acts and half a second act.

Yes, this is a good take. I never considered JL to be jaw-droppingly bad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Oh this is absolutely true. But having both Josstice League and ZSJL is a rare instance where you can see two different takes on editing. Like, beyond including different scenes, there are instances of different editing on the same scenes. Like the Wonder Woman Bank scene which, while technically both accomplishing the same thing, both feel wildly different, mostly due to editing. Two different directors, using mostly the same footage, and coming away with very different scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJLu_nNV1Jg

I find that poo poo fascinating. But if you don't, don't watch Justice League Theatrical. It's not worse than Suicide Squad. But it is a worthless movie, now that we have a better version.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 24, 2021

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I'm glad some people are getting enjoyment (whether good or bad) out of this new four hour thing but I can't bring myself to sit through a doubly long version of a movie I hated the first time (fwiw, even though I didn't like BvS, I thought it was better than the theatrical Justice League). I've never enjoyed any of Snyder's work and can't imagine I'll start now. He's like M. Night Shyamalan or Tim Burton, at a certain point of not enjoying their movies, I'm just going to stop trying. I am, however, really enjoying The Snyder Sessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

JL commentary gave us THE SKELETON LEAGUE though which almost makes it worthwhile. Otherwise it's just Snyder making jerkoff motions for 2.5 hours or whatever