Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
There's a lot of space trash out there, with more everyday as existing pieces of debris hit each other and splinter off. Also whenever something functional in orbit (like a comms satellite) gets hit by debris, it becomes more debris. Like most collective action problems, no one's doing poo poo to fix it. Are humans eventually going to be locked out of space due to creating an impenetrable field of flak in orbit? My vote is yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr6z3AyhRr8

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

I heard astronauts poop and pee out the side of the spaceship and now there is a ring of frozen poop and pee in orbit and now there's so much poop and pee outside the spaceship that they can't see where they're going and that's why we're not allowed to go to the moon anymore.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Frances Nurples posted:

I heard astronauts poop and pee out the side of the spaceship and now there is a ring of frozen poop and pee in orbit and now there's so much poop and pee outside the spaceship that they can't see where they're going and that's why we're not allowed to go to the moon anymore.

Mods poo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

quote:

There are no international space laws to clean up debris in our LEO [Low-Earth Orbit]. LEO is now viewed as the World’s largest garbage dump

This is seriously worse than the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? That's... how did that even happen.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

This is seriously worse than the Great Pacific Garbage Patch? That's... how did that even happen.

Being able to remove debris also generally means you can remove active satellites as well.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
im space trash. ablate me with lasers until i burn up in the atmosphere

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Akbar posted:

There's a lot of space trash out there, with more everyday as existing pieces of debris hit each other and splinter off. Also whenever something functional in orbit (like a comms satellite) gets hit by debris, it becomes more debris. Like most collective action problems, no one's doing poo poo to fix it. Are humans eventually going to be locked out of space due to creating an impenetrable field of flak in orbit? My vote is yes.

Let's hope so

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
So today I found out that we've known about all this since pretty much when we started sending up satellites in the first place. It's also got a cool name.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DakRYsUIiIE

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Frances Nurples posted:

This is true

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1373969892991467526
Hope it goes well.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in the worst case scenario it would only affect a few orbits and will generally never prevent exploring beyond that

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
we should put up a net to catch some of it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

we should put up a net to catch some of it

Well we already tested one
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17878218/space-junk-remove-debris-net-harpoon-collisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

score gets stuck on 420 for a while, nice