Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

I do not understand how anyone watches that guy. I always thought I'd enjoy watching someone get weird with sausages but he ruins the whole interesting experiment with his schtick.

I like him. Suck it.

Bad snipe. Here, have some King
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pEO78nIOwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fartington Butts posted:

I like him. Suck it.

Love some Jacques.

Seeing as this is essentially the cooking youtube thread, does anyone have any go to videos for "less traditional" (probably more traditional) steak recipes? Stuff using less desirable cuts, and things like that. I live in an apartment so I don't have a grill so when I do make a regular steak it's usually reverse sear in a cast iron which is great but then my place smells like smoke for a week and/or I set off my smoke alarm several times.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Are you asking for a less smoky method for hard pan searing a steak? Or are you after a method for cooking cheaper/tougher cuts that aren't generally pan seared, like a braise that isn't american/french?

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQuLYw7734

The producer cautioning him against using too much of the oil and he's like "Y'all better leave me alone" lmao

e: woops, age restricted. It's 2 Chainz' Vice series "Most Expensivest" where he samples expensive things. In this one he's sampling the "cannabis cuisine" caterer Opulent Chef's $15k plated dinner

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

Love some Jacques.

Seeing as this is essentially the cooking youtube thread, does anyone have any go to videos for "less traditional" (probably more traditional) steak recipes? Stuff using less desirable cuts, and things like that. I live in an apartment so I don't have a grill so when I do make a regular steak it's usually reverse sear in a cast iron which is great but then my place smells like smoke for a week and/or I set off my smoke alarm several times.

If you haven't seen the videos form these fellas I remember them working with different cuts and the like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijw7NpizQ8Q

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

I like him. Suck it.

I love Jacques so much

Shrapnig posted:

Love some Jacques.

Do you have a porch? Can you acquire a grill?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Why do Americans pronounce it wagoo? Is gyu really that much of a stretch?

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Stringent posted:

Why do Americans pronounce it wagoo? Is gyu really that much of a stretch?

East coast and I've never heard anyone pronounce it wagoo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I went around youtube looking for examples and I might have been wrong to single out Americans, it seems like a lot of the ppl doing it are commonwealth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
West coast and I haven’t heard anyone say wagoo anywhere

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I heard it the first time yesterday in a Fung Bros. video where they eat a wagyu katsu sandwich. They grew up in Seattle and call it wagoo.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
There are over 350 million native English speakers in the world, there's always going to be some variations on the way we pronounce things, especially words from other languages that have only recently entered the vernacular.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I guess it's pretty minor considering what Japanese ppl do to English, but it still bugs me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I say wagoo. I never knew it was the wrong guey

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Fartington Butts posted:

I like him. Suck it.

Jacques is the best. I just read his autobiography and it's a trip.

You'd think a guy with his credentials would be a huge snob, but part of the reason why GWS loves him is that he's an extreme anti-snob if anything, and it makes total sense when you read about his childhood. Like being sent to live on a farm with strangers as a kid because that's where the food in France was and the Nazis weren't. Then when the war was over he was a literal apprentice right out of some medieval trade guild poo poo starting at age 13.

He was also in a car accident in like the 1970s that was so bad he was moved to the front of the line for the elite trauma surgeons in New York to work on him... because nobody has seen anybody alive with that many broken bones. :stare:

Prognosis: He probably won't live, but if he does he won't walk and will lose an arm. Then he got better :unsmith:
On a more fun note, there was a chef he worked for in France who was a huge rear end in a top hat, and Jacques swears the guy fired him because Jacques "accidentally" hit him in the head with a pot, stabbed him in his giant rear end *and* kicked something he was standing on and sent him flying. LOL OK :discourse:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I more often hear people saying “waygoo”

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

sean10mm posted:

Jacques "accidentally" hit him in the head with a pot, stabbed him in his giant rear end *and* kicked something he was standing on and sent him flying.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pépin made Chef Crampette :ese::buttfame::

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Fartington Butts posted:

I more often hear people saying “waygoo”

waygoo steak with chipoltay sauce

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Making fun of cultures that don't have big Japanese and Mexican communities therefor don't know how to pronounce words is woke. Lumping entire countries in together because 2 youtubers pronounced it wrong is also very smart.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

droll posted:

Making fun of cultures that don't have big Japanese and Mexican communities therefor don't know how to pronounce words is woke. Lumping entire countries in together because 2 youtubers pronounced it wrong is also very smart.

oh boy oh boy

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Speaking as an immigrant that has been mocked by Americans for pronouncing words incorrectly, just be aware of your privilege.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Riptor posted:

waygoo steak with chipoltay sauce

Nobody pronounces habanero correctly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Nobody pronounces habanero correctly.

Habanero is an overrated pepper anyway

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
The "you should pronounce words the way they sound in their native language thing" is such a case by case thing I don't think there's any point getting salty about it either way. Different words are going to have different standards in terms of how much they deviate, and sometimes even differ for different parts of north america.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 24, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can call it whatever you want, Ninety percent of the usage of the word in the US is pure marketing bullshit.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
How insufferable would you sound having to pronounce Italian food correctly my god

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Veskit posted:

How insufferable would you sound having to pronounce Italian food correctly my god

Giada De Laurentiis and her giant cranium say what's up, Parmeegiaaanoo

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

enki42 posted:

The "you should pronounce words the way they sound in their native language thing" is such a case by case thing I don't think there's any point getting salty about it either way. Different words are going to have different standards in terms of how much they deviate, and that's sometimes even differs for different parts of north america.

yes but you can at the very least not transpose letters, is my point

I'm eating this habmurger with mutsard and ektchup

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

fizzymercury posted:

Giada De Laurentiis and her giant cranium say what's up, Parmeegiaaanoo

I would try if my hands didn't get so god drat tired.

Riptor posted:

yes but you can at the very least not transpose letters, is my point

Why?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Veskit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKGoVefhtMQ

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Veskit posted:

American english isn't even pronounced correctly half the loving time so just lol ragazzi

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I honest to god believe that most Americans just don't give a rat's rear end about pronouncing non-English words correctly. It's probably a badge of pride for a good number of them. I mean, this is a place where 40% of the people never leave the country in their lifetime. Insularity is a way of life.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

I honest to god believe that most Americans just don't give a rat's rear end about pronouncing non-English words correctly.

Hasn't been my experience.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

droll posted:

Hasn't been my experience.

Exactly. You haven't experienced peak American until you've heard a clueless white Texan school you on how to pronounce literally anything on a Tex-Mex menu. Or worse, been laughed at by a woman that couldn't find Jalisco on a map for mispronouncing birria. The person correcting you must, by state law, add four rolled R's and three D's to it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I mean, this is a place where 40% of the people never leave the country in their lifetime. Insularity is a way of life.

I mean a large share of the country really can't afford to, and being a dick to somebody who has to bust their rear end 24/7 to keep their kids fed for not being sufficiently ~cultured~ seems pretty lovely.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Also every country everywhere adapts foreign words to their own language, it's not really uniquely American. Words that are really new to any language are likelier to be pronounced "properly" but they'll inevitably be adapted over time to fit the standards of the language they're being spoken in.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
I've always been more surprised how the British cannot pronounce any word of Spanish origin despite Spain being right over there.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

gegi posted:

I've always been more surprised how the British cannot pronounce any word of Spanish origin despite Spain being right over there.

They do this with French too, although that's at least partially because they hate the French so much. A "fillit" of chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jacques Pepin still mangling the pronunciation of "hamburger" after living here for over 60 fuckin' years triggers me

To want to change the name of it to ombergere and make some of his English Muffin ombergeres.